Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Curbishley praises Stockley's performance but then bemoans that Schwartz is feeding off of knock downs when he needs through balls. This is why I don't like the tactic of a target man laying it off for other players as a constant tactic. I didn't like it with Leaburn  and I don't think I've ever liked it. If this is how we plan to play then I will probably stop watching when the weather improves.

Bowyer said that they are good at what they do but failed to add that we are bad at what we do.

I don't believe that this transfer window will have helped us. The new players are not what we needed. We are laughable in defence and even if the other two get back fit, there's no guarantee that they will stay fit.

I know it sounds like I'm over-reacting to a defeat but we can't keep saying  'get over it, there's another game on Saturday.' This match was the real test and we failed it.
    Schwartz needs a winger whipping in low crosses or CAMs playing in through balls to run onto.
    Absolutely. My fear is that as long as Stockley is up there then the players will be too tempted to go this route, particularly if he wins the ball and 'lays it off.' I just hate this tactic. Stockley was good at it tonight but it didn't work.
  • Leuth said:
    Christ, did I really just read the phrase "rational discourse"?
    Football fan - YouTube

Now there's a chap "with" whose formation of comparative adjectives I wouldn't quibble
    Fixed for you. 

Meltdown is no excuse for letting go of the niceties of grammar.  know what I mean?
  • Leuth said:
    Football fan - YouTube

Now there's a chap "with" whose formation of comparative adjectives I wouldn't quibble
    Fixed for you. 

Meltdown is no excuse for letting go of the niceties of grammar.  know what I mean?
    "Know".
  • That was poor, really, really poor.

Looks to me like Bowyer has really got himself tied up in knots and there have just been way too many team and personnel changes - we look nothing like a team at all.

You really can't play a diamond midfield with the personnel we had out there tonight, it's never going to work.

Stockley is an old fashioned number 9, he needs service from wide areas and we never gave him that at all, if you play a narrow midfield you need at least one channel runner to get in behind and that's not his game.

The same goes for Schwartz too, he is not a Grant type running striker, he needs service from wide areas to make space in the middle and again we never gave that too him - how many times did we get midfield runners in behind?

The midfield was all over the place, nobody really seemed to know the structure and with a left footer in JFC on the right of the diamond and a right footer in Shinnie on the left we were just so narrow and the full backs didn't offer any width at all.

Defensively we were shocking. Matthews gave away the first and third goals with sloppy passes and Maatsen the second with a crazy foul in a dangerous area. Gunter looks like a right back playing centre half and Oshi tries his heart out but always has a mistake in him and the distribution of Amos is a major worry even when under no pressure.

To my mind Lee has to pick his best XI and stick with it we have no cohesion or combinations at all, we just look like we are making it up as we go along.

If Chuks can't play every game for the 90 then we need to stop pissing about and just bring him off the bench and go with the two that started tonight but with the proper set-up around them - we HAVE to stop the constant shuffling of the deck with personnel and formations.

For Saturday I really think we need to go back to basics with a 4-4-2 and play to our strengths.

Amos

Gunter - Oshilaja - Famewo - Maatsen

Jaiyesimi - Shinnie - JFC - Millar

Schwartz - Stockley

We need the two wide players getting up to support the front two and creating overloads that create chances for Schwartz - unless we get players around him then he is not going to score goals - you can take that to the bank.

All is not lost yet and the return of Famewo and Inniss is crucial because unless we tighten the back four then we are going nowhere, we are leaking goals for fun and you can't win games like that.

Not sure Jfc deserves the start, maybe smith instead?. The rest I’d agree, just, Gunter could be on the edge of a drop?
  • One approach I think Bowyer should take is to ignore the bloody five sub rule!!

Its probably giving him too much of an opportunity to tinker, especially as Half-Time isnt part of the three stoppages

Introduced during Project Restart: We won twice
    Introduced on 18th November: We've won four times

It gives Bowyer too much time to think, a bit like Bonne when we played Wigan, just go with your instinct

Looks to me like Bowyer has really got himself tied up in knots and there have just been way too many team and personnel changes - we look nothing like a team at all.

You really can't play a diamond midfield with the personnel we had out there tonight, it's never going to work.

Stockley is an old fashioned number 9, he needs service from wide areas and we never gave him that at all, if you play a narrow midfield you need at least one channel runner to get in behind and that's not his game.

The same goes for Schwartz too, he is not a Grant type running striker, he needs service from wide areas to make space in the middle and again we never gave that too him - how many times did we get midfield runners in behind?

The midfield was all over the place, nobody really seemed to know the structure and with a left footer in JFC on the right of the diamond and a right footer in Shinnie on the left we were just so narrow and the full backs didn't offer any width at all.

Defensively we were shocking. Matthews gave away the first and third goals with sloppy passes and Maatsen the second with a crazy foul in a dangerous area. Gunter looks like a right back playing centre half and Oshi tries his heart out but always has a mistake in him and the distribution of Amos is a major worry even when under no pressure.

To my mind Lee has to pick his best XI and stick with it we have no cohesion or combinations at all, we just look like we are making it up as we go along.

If Chuks can't play every game for the 90 then we need to stop pissing about and just bring him off the bench and go with the two that started tonight but with the proper set-up around them - we HAVE to stop the constant shuffling of the deck with personnel and formations.

For Saturday I really think we need to go back to basics with a 4-4-2 and play to our strengths.

Amos

Schwartz - Stockley

We need the two wide players getting up to support the front two and creating overloads that create chances for Schwartz - unless we get players around him then he is not going to score goals - you can take that to the bank.

All is not lost yet and the return of Famewo and Inniss is crucial because unless we tighten the back four then we are going nowhere, we are leaking goals for fun and you can't win games like that.

This, but Smith for JFC, Purrington for Maatsen, and Washington for Schwartz if fit., Aneke if not.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Leuth said:
    Football fan - YouTube

Fixed for you. 

"Know".

"Do you know"
  • Sponsored links:

• I love you guys.
  • I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. Bowyer has made some strange decisions and the football we have been playing at times is boring, but unless we get relegated, Bowyer has to be given the summer and following January window. 
    I'd give him 15 games of next season before reviewing.
    My early prediction for a new manager.  Sandgaard will bring in either an unknown Dane or an American, then watch the fireworks!
  • One approach I think Bowyer should take is to ignore the bloody five sub rule!!

Its probably giving him too much of an opportunity to tinker, especially as Half-Time isnt part of the three stoppages

Introduced during Project Restart: We won twice
    Introduced on 18th November: We've won four times

It gives Bowyer too much time to think, a bit like Bonne when we played Wigan, just go with your instinct
    Especially considering he was publicly against having 5 subs
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Curbishley praises Stockley's performance but then bemoans that Schwartz is feeding off of knock downs when he needs through balls. This is why I don't like the tactic of a target man laying it off for other players as a constant tactic. I didn't like it with Leaburn  and I don't think I've ever liked it. If this is how we plan to play then I will probably stop watching when the weather improves.

Bowyer said that they are good at what they do but failed to add that we are bad at what we do.

I don't believe that this transfer window will have helped us. The new players are not what we needed. We are laughable in defence and even if the other two get back fit, there's no guarantee that they will stay fit.

I know it sounds like I'm over-reacting to a defeat but we can't keep saying  'get over it, there's another game on Saturday.' This match was the real test and we failed it.
    Schwartz needs a winger whipping in low crosses or CAMs playing in through balls to run onto.
    Absolutely. My fear is that as long as Stockley is up there then the players will be too tempted to go this route, particularly if he wins the ball and 'lays it off.' I just hate this tactic. Stockley was good at it tonight but it didn't work.
    That’s a great point. Stockley was brilliant bringing down / flicking on long balls... Which proved too tempting for the rest of the team who just tried to ‘hit’ him - from which nothing much came 
  • Out thought, out played and out muscled by a more physical and better team. I am sure that LB will now be wishing he had played this one later in the season with two fit burly centre halves. Famewo and Innis cannot come back quick enough now and we must get a 3-4 wins on the bounce run going otherwise we will be going through the motions for the rest of this season. I remain optimistic with those we have brought in, but boy do we need a stable team, formation and game plan.
  • boggzy said:
    Croydon said:
    I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. Bowyer has made some strange decisions and the football we have been playing at times is boring, but unless we get relegated, Bowyer has to be given the summer and following January window. 
    This mentality it's absolutely fucking bonkers. Genuinely think some fans love Bowyer more than they love Charlton.

It is absolutely bizarre. Like when we pass it across the back four, to the midfield then  back again, NO urgency to get anywhere, or ambition.
    There's the problem ...... no clue, no drive, no urgency; one paced and turgid.

If I have to watch JFC forever slowing the midfield right down, always one touch or one pass too many ...... or Ben Watson casually 2nd to the ball on the edge of his own box; or just another long hopeful punt to the ever-willing Stockley, I'll ....... oh, I give up, Bowyer won't be listening.

• Sponsored links:

Amos

Schwartz - Stockley

Watson gave the ball away for the third.

Yes, it was a bad mistake from Watson but Matthews put him in trouble with a crazy ball across his own area.
  • I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. Bowyer has made some strange decisions and the football we have been playing at times is boring, but unless we get relegated, Bowyer has to be given the summer and following January window. 
    My early prediction for a new manager.  Sandgaard will bring in either an unknown Dane or an American, then watch the fireworks!

Dazzler21 said:
    I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. 
    Nothing TS has done to date suggests he would go down that route. 

He has already bought in ged and Wayne for business people who know the English game. 

• edited February 2021
    That was poor, really, really poor.

Amos

Schwartz - Stockley

Watson gave the ball away for the third.

Yes, it was a bad mistake from Watson but Matthews put him in trouble with a crazy ball across his own area.
    He could have hoofed it upfield. I mean, if he beats the Portsmouth player he then makes a sidewards pass deep in his own half. An experienced player like Watson should understand the risk and reward.
  • A good messure of where a manager is at is there post match comments.

It starts off as a "breath of fresh air" and even if they say exactly the same thing you end up laughing and think "do you honestly believe that bullshit"?

The same happened to Pardew and Robinson. 

Speaking of which what was Pardew's best team and what did Robinson see in the dressing room? 
  • I’m beginning to lose patience now and I love Bow, he galvanised this club when it was on its knees and made the impossible happen but we need to move forward and we’re all sounding like broken records every game. So inconsistent, the players must just not listen to the coaches, we are failing to do the basics! 

Playing a simple pass or clearing their lines seems like a strenuous task for these boys, they’d prefer to take an extra touch or pass it straight to the opposition! Piss poor all over the pitch. The only player that looked bothered was Stockley, this season is over! 

Amos

Schwartz - Stockley

Not being funny, but if we can't rely on Chucks to play regularly play 90 minutes then he should have gone too. It's ridiculous. 

Dazzler21 said:
    I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. 
    Nothing TS has done to date suggests he would go down that route. 

He has already bought in ged and Wayne for business people who know the English game. 

Fair comment, it's a gut feeling.
  • We can't rely on Millar playing 7 days later after a MOTM performance either.