Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

Comments

• People are talking about the tinkering with Millar, but what did Purrington do wrong?

I thought Maatsan was shit.
    Totally agree. Made no sense pulling him out. 

And won't have done his confidence any good at all in that happening to him. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Leuth said:
    MattF said:
    People are talking about the tinkering with Millar, but what did Purrington do wrong?

Sheffield Wednesday signed Izzy Brown on loan from Chelsea in the summer, and part of their loan agreement apparently means they face a financial penalty if he doesn't play enough games. If that's the case then I wonder if we're not looking at the same situation 
    Maatsen didn't stop running and never hides or shirks. He links well with his winger (when there's a winger) and I wouldn't classify him as one of our major problems at all. He struggled a couple of times when isolated but name a League One full-back who doesn't?
    I'd play JFC LB tbh, he does fuck all in possession for me, yeah yeah a goal and an assist here and there but honestly his best game for me was at LB 
    Hi Lee
    Fulham away
  • 1 more comment from me tonight.  I love Lee Bowyer & really wanted him to succeed under a proper owner after sticking with us through all the shit.

I've made it very clear on here that in my mind, he's just not up to it.

Strangely though, I actually don't see the point in sacking him now as the window is closed, but I hope, as I'm sure we all do, that Thomas Sandgaard picks the right man in the summer
     I don't see that as a problem. Any manager coming into league one with this squad I doubt would want to change too much. I'm now starting to wonder how much worse a new brush could be?
    We look miles off at the moment.

I know one thing. Bowyer is consistently annoying the f**k out of me, and Im not the one that has spent £millions to run this club and get it where it needs to be.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

When is enough enough  ?  We have now won 4 games in our last 17. 

Is it when we win 5 in 20....?

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

Will you now accept that he has taken us as far as he can. 
    I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present...? - There is absolutely zero patience amongst Football fans anymore

For me its not a case he cant be at fault for anything, even I've been critical in recent weeks

But for me he gets a period into next season depending on results, gets a proper summer to work in pre-season @ Sparrows Lane and on a Training Camp to actually build a squad that is built on unity. This team has been rushed, its been put together in a panicked mess, its like sticking up a wall without any foundations and hoping it can do the job its there for.

The teams around us, how many of them have had to build virtually from scratch AGAIN this season... Instead I imagine they've put together a team of players that has been improved over the seasons to the point its strong enough to mount a serious promotion challenge

Regardless of who the Manager is next season, this summer HAS to be the last time that happens

We talk about recovering from Roland's era, we talk about the damage ESI have done, its going to take time to recover as a Football club.

But we wont get anywhere as a team without a stable team that is constantly being replaced and changed every season
    Simple answer.

I love how all other teams have had no similar problems and have all been able to build steadily and slowly.

To develop your analogy ... yes, maybe we do have a rickety hut built on poor foundations.  Probably best to tear it down and start again then.  I'm OK with that.

But with Bowyer in charge?  Why would that be?

Let's agree that the Summer is the time to do the re-building.  Wouldn't Sandgaard be well-advised (where are you when we need you, Ged Roddy?) to get the right man in place well ahead of that?
    Well they havent have they?

Hull: They kept their squad together from relegation, have improved where needed and are showing the signs of that improvement

Although I'll give them that as their ownership issues made me question if they'd actually compete this year

Everyone else apart from Portsmouth, Oxford and Fleetwood had from March until August to basically assess their squads and had plenty of time to bring in players ready for the new season because they knew what Division they'd be in.

The only area I do agree (that goes against what I've said) is the fact that if we're going to go into 2021/22 without Bowyer then that replacement does have to happen soon - As someone else said, if we're not going to stick by Bowyer then the new man has to be given time to view what he's got at his disposal and work with Gallen as to who he wants to bring in ahead of the new season.

The fact Sandgaard doesnt appear to be doing that says to me that Bowyer will be here next season
  • The reason we had our run IMO was that Inniss was a monster in our box and our opponents box as well as clearances in the middle of the park. We haven't been able to adapt to losing his presence.
  • Leuth said:
    MattF said:
    People are talking about the tinkering with Millar, but what did Purrington do wrong?

Sheffield Wednesday signed Izzy Brown on loan from Chelsea in the summer, and part of their loan agreement apparently means they face a financial penalty if he doesn't play enough games. If that's the case then I wonder if we're not looking at the same situation 
    Maatsen didn't stop running and never hides or shirks. He links well with his winger (when there's a winger) and I wouldn't classify him as one of our major problems at all. He struggled a couple of times when isolated but name a League One full-back who doesn't?
    Don't really disagree with that and choice of left back is the least of problems at the moment, my point was more around speculating why Purrington is dropped after every appearance
  • We lost both halves by a margin of a single goal. Amos solid...defence wasn't good enough...midfield ok...strikers anonymous in first half, better in second. Why didn't we start with Millar and Aneke? In many ways a classic Bowyer set-up and a result of the type that has become typical in the last couple of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m not qualified to be a football manager but even I would have gone out and got a center half jan 1. It was interesting to see Gallens interaction with Curbs pre game. Wouldn’t look him in the eye. Curbs a real football man and you can see with the likes of Robbo, Brownie, Minto etc what type of players he liked. 
  • Leuth said:
    Bowyer literally just said "I don't fink they're betterer than us"
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer literally just said "I don't fink they're betterer than us"
    No, they aren't, Lee.  But their manager is betterer than you.
    Jesus wept... How childish can you get when you point out how someone talks!!
    Alright.  You are correct.  Shouldn't let a bit of silly levity get in the way of the point:

No they aren't Lee.  But their manager is better than you.
    Just not true is it. They’ve faced each other 5 times, Bowyer has won 4 of those. 
    Portsmouth 24 games, 44 points, 4th place.
    Charlton 26 games, 40 points, 8th place.

You're right though.  In the Portsmouth / Charlton cup we are definitely winning.
  • To be this far into a season and our players play like strangers it is really not a good endorsement for the way Lee is going about things. We have three sections of a team, defence, midfield and attackers, and none of them are cohesive as individual units,so how the hell are we going to see a cohesive team. Far too much tinkering for far too long, I do wonder if the two cb’s had stayed fit whether he would of still cocked about with them!!!. I’m so frustrated at the moment because I’m not thinking like some in believing that our players aren’t very good, maybe a bit confused!!.
  • I support Bowyer and yet this season he seems to set the team up wrong in most games.
    It was quite apparent after 20 mins, that they were in control and a goal was looking likely.
    The diamond formation does not work well this season.
    Whether that's down to the manager or the players I'm not sure.
    But what I am certain, is if the players can't play the formation, stop playing it.

We are wide open at the back most games shipping in 2 or more regularly.
    Matthews was nowhere to be seen near right back at times.
    Maatsen also pushing high and giving away the ball too often.
    Oshilaja did well enough considering he has little defensive protection and Gunter was ok on the same basis.

Morgan got involved but generally made the wrong decisions.
    JFC got involved but was poor all night.
    Shinnie was ok, as was Pratley.

Schwarz was anonymous once again and Stockley was our best player by a country mile.

Watson is past it, he gave away a goal because he's too slow, although Matthews clearance to him was awful.

Millar did well after Bowyer decided it might be a good idea to change the formation (as he has to nearly every game).

Why the hell wasn't Millar starting?
    If we go behind we generally lose.
    If we go in front we generally win.

Why do we never start with our strongest 11 to try and take the lead?

If we're not going to defend as a team with bodies behind the ball blocking the runs and shots we haven't got a prayer and if Bowyer hasn't worked it out by now I don't think he will.

Perhaps Famewo and Inniss can come back and organise the defence without any managerial assistance but it's looking less and less likely.

That's the most ambitious poem yet, but still doesn't flow.
  • Lincoln City (oh how we laughed) are an excellent example of how success at this level comes from the team, not from individual skill.  To do that takes time and good management.  if, as seems likely, we don't even get a sniff at the playoffs this year we are probably in for another few years at this level.  With good squad management from a really motivating manager who fosters a team spirit we will be in with a chance.  Not from this dysfunctional, leaderless mess

Laughter in the dark, my friend.
  • Lincoln City (oh how we laughed) are an excellent example of how success at this level comes from the team, not from individual skill.  To do that takes time and good management.  if, as seems likely, we don't even get a sniff at the playoffs this year we are probably in for another few years at this level.  With good squad management from a really motivating manager who fosters a team spirit we will be in with a chance.  Not from this dysfunctional, leaderless mess

Him see trouble ahead ((:>)
  • Look, I haven't got time to go through all this, but could someone just tell me if a new scapegoat has been identified now JW,  MM and Bogle are gone.
  • Look, I haven't got time to go through all this, but could someone just tell me if a new scapegoat has been identified now JW,  MM and Bogle are gone.
    Schwartz and Maatsen from todays game I think
  • Christ, did I really just read the phrase "rational discourse"?
    Football fan - YouTube

• Sponsored links:

• It’s ok lads our CB’s will come back and all will be well 
  • Christ, did I really just read the phrase "rational discourse"?
    Football fan - YouTube

Now there's a chap whose formation of comparative adjectives I wouldn't quibble
  • PWFF. (Posting while effing furious)

The tinkerman strikes yet again. Just when we happen upon some players and a system that sees an upturn we drop our most effective player and revert to the sodding diamond. Clueless. Playoffs now a pipe dream. Scandalous waste of a squad and failure to address the centre back situation/put some trust in young Barker tantamount to negligence IMHO.  Bowyers post match interview leaves me speechless. Promotion my arse. We should be looking over our shoulders. 

In fairness, individual mistakes can’t be legislated for and we have a few players who have either lost whatever it was they had (Matthews, Gunter, Pratley. Watson) or who have had the stuffing knocked out of them by the tinkerman (Maatsen, Morgan) or just had their worst game for a while (JFC, Shinnie). Portsmouth are no mugs and only the profligacy of the tented one (Mr Marquee according to our vacuous commentary team) and Ben Amos saved us from a proper mullering. 

The window may have given some scope for optimism although Schwartz is beginning to look like the Turkey that escaped the Christmas slaughter. Service or not we were playing with ten men. Either play to the guys strengths (such as they are) or don’t play him. 

Depressing on a whole number of levels. At least the Chrbs/Robbo show justified my tenner. But the main event is not encouraging me to part with many more.  
    Take your pick. But not Stockley tonight.