Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

Comments

• Cant defend and clear our lines. 2nd to the ball in midfield, and few options when in the final third.
    Love Bows to pieces, but the player look like 11 individuals
  • 1 more comment from me tonight.  I love Lee Bowyer & really wanted him to succeed under a proper owner after sticking with us through all the shit.

I've made it very clear on here that in my mind, he's just not up to it.

Strangely though, I actually don't see the point in sacking him now as the window is closed, but I hope, as I'm sure we all do, that Thomas Sandgaard picks the right man in the summer
  • The fact that Bowyer is clutching at straws so much in Post match interviews tells you all you need to know. "If Morgan had passed to Shinnie etc" - Come on Bowyer FFS. He knows he's under pressure and hasn't got the bad owner shit to shield him now...
  • There is only Crewe in the entire league played more games than us...in a couple of weeks we could be we'll down.
  • edited February 2021
    Lincoln City (oh how we laughed) are an excellent example of how success at this level comes from the team, not from individual skill.  To do that takes time and good management.  if, as seems likely, we don't even get a sniff at the playoffs this year we are probably in for another few years at this level.  With good squad management from a really motivating manager who fosters a team spirit we will be in with a chance.  Not from this dysfunctional, leaderless mess
  • People are talking about the tinkering with Millar, but what did Purrington do wrong?

I thought Maatsan was shit.
    Sheffield Wednesday signed Izzy Brown on loan from Chelsea in the summer, and part of their loan agreement apparently means they face a financial penalty if he doesn't play enough games. If that's the case then I wonder if we're not looking at the same situation 
  • One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

When is enough enough  ?  We have now won 4 games in our last 17. 

Is it when we win 5 in 20....?

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

Will you now accept that he has taken us as far as he can. 
    I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present...? - There is absolutely zero patience amongst Football fans anymore

For me its not a case he cant be at fault for anything, even I've been critical in recent weeks

But for me he gets a period into next season depending on results, gets a proper summer to work in pre-season @ Sparrows Lane and on a Training Camp to actually build a squad that is built on unity. This team has been rushed, its been put together in a panicked mess, its like sticking up a wall without any foundations and hoping it can do the job its there for.

The teams around us, how many of them have had to build virtually from scratch AGAIN this season... Instead I imagine they've put together a team of players that has been improved over the seasons to the point its strong enough to mount a serious promotion challenge

Regardless of who the Manager is next season, this summer HAS to be the last time that happens

We talk about recovering from Roland's era, we talk about the damage ESI have done, its going to take time to recover as a Football club.

But we wont get anywhere as a team without a stable team that is constantly being replaced and changed every season
    Simple answer.

I love how all other teams have had no similar problems and have all been able to build steadily and slowly.

To develop your analogy ... yes, maybe we do have a rickety hut built on poor foundations.  Probably best to tear it down and start again then.  I'm OK with that.

But with Bowyer in charge?  Why would that be?

Let's agree that the Summer is the time to do the re-building.  Wouldn't Sandgaard be well-advised (where are you when we need you, Ged Roddy?) to get the right man in place well ahead of that?
  • Sponsored links:

• That doesn't always happen but there is a big difference between the Championship and League One. Maybe those that defend Bowyer don't get that. 
  • edited February 2021
    1 more comment from me tonight.  I love Lee Bowyer & really wanted him to succeed under a proper owner after sticking with us through all the shit.

Strangely though, I actually don't see the point in sacking him now as the window is closed, but I hope, as I'm sure we all do, that Thomas Sandgaard picks the right man in the summer
    Same point as sacking Robinson and putting Bowyer in. The squad is good enough, it needs a fresh approach. I have said this before, but if I was TS, I'd sack Bowyer, have JJ in and ask him what Bowyer was doing wrong and how he will sort it and give him the rest of the season if he can answer that confidently. If not, I'd ask Euell the same question. 

That way you have some continuity, have a chance to change the mood and as they would be caretakers, have the time to identify a permanent replacement. Of course that is if they don't do well. If they do, they get longer.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Leuth said:
    Okay okay I said I was sorry, jesus! Talking myself into the path of the pitchforks here lol
    Bring on the pitchforks, Leuth.

Your point (if I may be so presumptuous) is that Bowyer lacks intelligence.  And the days of unintelligent football managers are over.

Sandgaard will give him until the Summer.  Sandgaard is too nice.

I'm hoping that Ged Roddy is a competitive, winning bastard because I'm finding it difficult to warm to this inept team and its limited manager ... and I want my Club to be successful.
    Rich, successful business men often have a nice exterior. But they haven't made all their money by being nice. When push comes to shove, and they see their money going down the drain, they have a ruthless streak running right through them.

I've seen it many times and I suspect TS is no different.
    Exactly this. TS isn’t going to put up with this much longer. 
  • 1 shot on target to their 7, just about sums it up
  • MrOneLung said:
    I feel sorry for all those that lumped on top 6 finish 

even concerned for those that have top half. 
    I had the to bloody win it. How stupid am I 🤪
  • 1 more comment from me tonight.  I love Lee Bowyer & really wanted him to succeed under a proper owner after sticking with us through all the shit.

Same point as sacking Robinson and putting Bowyer in. The squad is good enough, it needs a fresh approach.
    Is the best post of the night
  • People are talking about the tinkering with Millar, but what did Purrington do wrong?

Yep and gave away stupid free kick for second goal 
  • It's a shame Minto can't ask really searching questions but for gawds sake ask him why he didn't start Millar.
    That's why even when I do watch the stream & don't watch any post match interviews. No point. No subjectively. If you cant say it like it is then don't accept the gig. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We needed a player in Cullen’s mould and still do. Bows needs multiple wins and soon. We lack fire and leadership. I keep hoping that something will click soon but it just doesn’t and a win over a poor MK Dons team can’t gloss over how average we look
  • ct_addick said:
    People are talking about the tinkering with Millar, but what did Purrington do wrong?

Yep and gave away stupid free kick for second goal 
    It wasn't a stupid free-kick. The guy beat him and was going to have a free run at the box. Maatsen gambled on us defending what was effectively a corner. Alas he forgot that we're shit at defending corners
  • Leuth said:
    Okay okay I said I was sorry, jesus! Talking myself into the path of the pitchforks here lol
    With Bogle and Maddison gone we need a new scapegoat  ;)
  • Leuth said:
    MattF said:
    People are talking about the tinkering with Millar, but what did Purrington do wrong?

Sheffield Wednesday signed Izzy Brown on loan from Chelsea in the summer, and part of their loan agreement apparently means they face a financial penalty if he doesn't play enough games. If that's the case then I wonder if we're not looking at the same situation 
    Maatsen didn't stop running and never hides or shirks. He links well with his winger (when there's a winger) and I wouldn't classify him as one of our major problems at all. He struggled a couple of times when isolated but name a League One full-back who doesn't?
    I'd play JFC LB tbh, he does fuck all in possession for me, yeah yeah a goal and an assist here and there but honestly his best game for me was at LB 

If we delay sacking Bowyer if we're going to at the end of the season anyway we'll be screwing the next manager hugely. The next manager will need time to assess and decide which players to renew and which to clear out. He will need to know what formations work and what don't.

We need to give them time before the summer.

Because good managers can change the culture and belief in a bunch of players, not only players that they choose.