Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

Comments

• Leuth said:
    One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

When is enough enough  ?  We have now won 4 games in our last 17. 

Is it when we win 5 in 20....?

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

Will you now accept that he has taken us as far as he can. 
    I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present... 
    Gonna answer this with another question: what league were we in then?
    We were a First Division team competing in the First Division, we are now a League One team competing in League One

And to point out we'd just finished 7th the year before and ended up finishing 12th the year we had that poor run

So surely the 7th place should have morphed into something better, not something worse?
    Oh come on money being pumped in to the return to The Valley 
    sold Robert Lee our best player 
    we were a small fish in a big pond 

now we are a bigger fish (yes the salary cap is more of a leveller ) but we are surely better placed than others in this league .

we were punching massively back then , trying to compare is a joke .

the change eventually came with gritt departing and we went on to finish 6th afterwards before losing in the play offs to palace .

So the change may have helped .

• Rudders22 said:
    That is it for me.... We could have played for another 2 days and wpn't score.  I have acepted season is over for us tonight. We have to play the top 1- in our final run and we can't beat anyone.  What is Bow's record until tonight?  Is it 2 wins in 20?  What is Paul Cook doing nowadays? 
    Great shout, his teams always play good football
  • Some people on the marks thread will give sixes and sevens no matter what the game is like, that was atrocious last night. Stockley the only real positive. Looking forward to losing 7-6 to Rochdale at the weekend though.
  • Would love Paul Cook but cannot see him stepping back to league 1. If the job becomes available I hope he is number 1 on the list, would then be down to TS to show his ambition to him.
  • The talent in the squad means we should be doing better. Not saying world beaters but at least making the opposition earn there win, not just handing it to them.

As people have mentioned, if your Millar or Purrington and you play well and dont start the next game...it will do your head in especially Purrington, who cant catch a break at the moment. 

Something has got to change...whether its the way we play or the manager....4 wins in 17 is bloody awful. 

I cant see TS standing much more of this.
  • what's Paul Cook doing these days
  • Both last and (earlier) this season, we knew we would always compete and could beat the teams above us. Generally those in the top 6. Leeds/West Brom/Fulham. 

We are now getting stuffed by teams both at the top and bottom of the league. Out thought and fought as they say. 

Somewhere it's all gone wrong. Something needs changing as it's not going to click itself. Our 6 game winning streak is now looking like the anomaly this season, rather than the current 4 wins in 17 dire L1 "run".
  • Would love to pin all our hopes on an injury prone CB pairing, but think our problems are more than that. 

I have a lot of time for Bowyer and think he deserves time with new signings, but 4-4-2 worked for us in recent weeks then we go and abandon it against our best opposition in the last month? Jake has been our best midfielder in recent weeks in the middle of a 4, as well as Pratleys performance against Fraser yet we revert back to the diamond against a similar threat in Cannon last night? Baffles me.
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:

MattF said:
    How is Bowyer supposed to legislate for this? Gunter has nearly 100 caps at international level but can’t be trusted with a 10 yard pass under absolutely no pressure. Bowyer not beyond criticism at all, but what is a manager supposed to do about this? It’s a pass my 5 year old daughter could make and our performances have been riddled with these kinds of errors. Just not good enough from too many players. 

Because he's been shit since day one and has let him play 90 in more or less every game.
    Drop the fking idiot and put a kid in there if you have to. 
    That's why Bowyers to blame. 
  • I've backed Bowyer, I've been an optimist but now I'm just full of despair. Afraid last night was just a complete shambles and can't see how it's going to get any better.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer literally just said "I don't fink they're betterer than us"

Don't be a snob.  He's come out of canning town and doesn't pretend to be anything he's not.

I normally wouldn't, but 'betterer'? C'mon ffs lol
    The key to language is understanding. Did you understand what Bowyer was saying? 
  • I get the clamour for Barker. He had pretty much a fairy tale start for us. But that was pre season and not a fair indication of what the demands of a league programme are especially the current schedule.

Bowyer has to look after the player too. If Barker came in and had a mare then it could affect him long term. I think the same happened to Pigott under Powell when he played against Millwall. It was almost as if he realised how far he was away physically from the demands of the professional game and it has taken him several years to get back to his current level.

Bringing Barker into an already makeshift back four that is conceding goals for fun would be a bad move. He isn’t the answer at the moment and it would be unfair to put that on him.
  • pick the best team and stick with it now, get rid of the old uns (s/be squad players). We have two CB that are obviously injury prone and Pearces' legs have gone.

Best fit team atm

AMOS

Gunter   Pratley   Deji   Maatsen

Smith   JFC

DJ                                 Millar

Stockley Chuks
  • Redhenry said:
    pick the best team and stick with it now, get rid of the old uns (s/be squad players). We have two CB that are obviously injury prone and Pearces' legs have gone.

Best fit team atm

AMOS

Gunter   Pratley   Deji   Maatsen

Smith   JFC

DJ                                 Millar

Stockley Chuks
    I agree, not with your selection but stick with a team.

When we played Accrington Sky put up a stat about the number of changes to starting line ups.

In about 20/21 games we had made 58 changes, Accrington had made 14. That;'s why Accrington play as a team because they are familiar with their team mates and the formation. 
  • One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present...? - There is absolutely zero patience amongst Football fans anymore

For me its not a case he cant be at fault for anything, even I've been critical in recent weeks

But for me he gets a period into next season depending on results, gets a proper summer to work in pre-season @ Sparrows Lane and on a Training Camp to actually build a squad that is built on unity. This team has been rushed, its been put together in a panicked mess, its like sticking up a wall without any foundations and hoping it can do the job its there for.

The teams around us, how many of them have had to build virtually from scratch AGAIN this season... Instead I imagine they've put together a team of players that has been improved over the seasons to the point its strong enough to mount a serious promotion challenge

Regardless of who the Manager is next season, this summer HAS to be the last time that happens

We talk about recovering from Roland's era, we talk about the damage ESI have done, its going to take time to recover as a Football club.

But we wont get anywhere as a team without a stable team that is constantly being replaced and changed every season
    But you've just nailed it in your last sentence though.......

A  STABLE  TEAM.

Every week we see changes. We won last week. LAST WEEK. 7 days ago. There is no way players should be rested when they've had a week to recover, even when they have to play this coming Saturday. We then don't play for another week. 

I would have sympathy for Bowyer if he played a settled team & the team were then making mistakes. But he persists with playing someone, resting them, & then putting them back in. Also playing players out of position. Who was at fault for the first goal tonight. Gunter. A right back playing in centre of defence. I rest my case.

Teams make changes though... We made three changes from our last game... Portsmouth made four!!

Again this isnt a revolutionary approach from Bowyer inventing a new style of Management
  • Sponsored links:

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present...? - There is absolutely zero patience amongst Football fans anymore

For me its not a case he cant be at fault for anything, even I've been critical in recent weeks

But for me he gets a period into next season depending on results, gets a proper summer to work in pre-season @ Sparrows Lane and on a Training Camp to actually build a squad that is built on unity. This team has been rushed, its been put together in a panicked mess, its like sticking up a wall without any foundations and hoping it can do the job its there for.

The teams around us, how many of them have had to build virtually from scratch AGAIN this season... Instead I imagine they've put together a team of players that has been improved over the seasons to the point its strong enough to mount a serious promotion challenge

Regardless of who the Manager is next season, this summer HAS to be the last time that happens

We talk about recovering from Roland's era, we talk about the damage ESI have done, its going to take time to recover as a Football club.

But we wont get anywhere as a team without a stable team that is constantly being replaced and changed every season

A  STABLE  TEAM.

Every week we see changes. We won last week. LAST WEEK. 7 days ago. There is no way players should be rested when they've had a week to recover, even when they have to play this coming Saturday. We then don't play for another week. 

I would have sympathy for Bowyer if he played a settled team & the team were then making mistakes. But he persists with playing someone, resting them, & then putting them back in. Also playing players out of position. Who was at fault for the first goal tonight. Gunter. A right back playing in centre of defence. I rest my case.

Teams make changes though... We made three changes from our last game... Portsmouth made four!!

Again this isnt a revolutionary approach from Bowyer inventing a new style of Management
    Pompey had just lost their last game, we had won ours.

The old style of football management is don't change a winning team  !!!!! 
  • Would love Paul Cook but cannot see him stepping back to league 1. If the job becomes available I hope he is number 1 on the list, would then be down to TS to show his ambition to him.
    For a decent wage and 'project' at a club with ambitions to be higher he might. 

If Bielsa can step into the championship for a couple of years, i don't think league one is beneath Paul Cook. 
  • edited February 2021
    One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

A  STABLE  TEAM.

Yeah they lost 4-0 at Hull and didnt change their team either...
  • I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. Bowyer has made some strange decisions and the football we have been playing at times is boring, but unless we get relegated, Bowyer has to be given the summer and following January window. 
    I'd give him 15 games of next season before reviewing.
    My early prediction for a new manager.  Sandgaard will bring in either an unknown Dane or an American, then watch the fireworks!

Dazzler21 said:
    I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. 
    Nothing TS has done to date suggests he would go down that route. 

He has already bought in ged and Wayne for business people who know the English game. 

Fair comment, it's a gut feeling.
    Are you constipated again ? 
  • Well that was crap. 
    Much already said, we looked poor and we changed a winning formation back to a losing one. As @golfaddick points out, once we go 1-0 down, we never win. There's something missing in this squad, something psychological. 
    Stockley MOM, so expect him not to start against Rochdale. If I can even joke about it, it's enough tinkering. Stop it Lee.
    As Curbs said, credit to Portsmouth, they did a job on us and were the better team. 
    The ref was terrible, he didn't cost us the game (that's the one strength we always play to) but he couldn't have been more biased if he'd tried. If we'd done to Pompey what they did to us on the penalty shout, he would have given it to them. Which ref we get seems a total lottery in this division - the occasional good one mixed in with the clueless, the visually impaired and now  "my dad was a Pompey season ticket holder and they're all my mates". 

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

A  STABLE  TEAM.

Hadn't Pompey got thumped in their last 2?

The difference is I bet they didn't make 4 changes the game before and the game before that and the game before that and the game before that.