Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

Comments

• edited February 2021
    Posted after reading. 

In the four or five games before Portsmouth we showed real signs of improvement. A bit less tinkering, slightly better setup. We’ve had a good window. It’s clear we need some tactical and selection stability going forward, but I’m hoping that Bowyer realised that. 
    I think it’s a bit mad to be calling for him to be sacked after the progress that has been made recently. 
    Oh, and I can’t really understand why people would criticise Oshi after his last four performances. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Did any of our local journos ask about Millar? I can understand why Minto can't as he is in-house but it's such a strange thing to do. He wasn't injured, he didn't play Saturday, so why drop him? Is there a football reason?
    On the Millar thread someone quotes Bowyer as saying Millar had been feeling a tight hamstring so he put him on the bench as a precaution. 
    And he still played 45 minutes........ 
    55 in the end really, 
  • Can't defend tonight's performance as it was rank but we are still within sight of the play off's and have new players to bring into the team as well as big names coming back from injury and I'm confident we can kick on.  Granted we are not only losing matches but playing poorly as well which is not a good combination, however it's not that long ago we were keeping clean sheets for fun which shows there is a good defensive unit in there somewhere and we must have been doing something right on the training ground.

I really hope we don't become a club that just jumps on the managerial merry go round that most other teams seem to get caught up in, I love the fact LB and Jacko actually have an affinity with the club and I can only speak for myself but it made our recent successes a lot more sweeter knowing there was a coaching team at the club who really knew and understood what the club was about. And in the ill fated ESI era having LB and Jacko still at the helm at least gave me something to hang on too and I'll be forever grateful they stuck around when I'm sure they could have either thrown the towel in or found another club and I don't think anyone could or would have blamed them for that at all.

LB said in the post match interview that the aim has to be play offs minimum, and he's right. After everything he's done for the club I think he deserves the opportunity to see if he can get us there minimum. If he doesn't then I'm sure he'll be the first to admit it's not been a good season and he certainly shouldn't be immune to criticism if we don't make it, but there's still a lot to play for until the end of the season.

There's no guarantee a new manager comes in and does any better and there aren't a lot of managerial names (realistic) that stand out to me as great options. I see Paul Cook being banded out about however its worth mentioning he had a dreadful time at Wigan for months, fans were desperate for him to be sacked however he got a bit of time and ended up going on a fantastic run that almost kept Wigan up. Hopefully we can show the same commitment to our existing Manager.

I think you are as deluded as our manager. Play-offs  ???  Have you looked at the league table. Once every team has played the same amount of games we will likely to be 10th. 

Accrington have 4 games in hand on us & just scored 6 past a hapless Rovers team that we scrapped a 1-0 win against. Crewe, who were 2 divisions below us last season are only below us on goal difference.

I think it's timesome of our fans wake up & smell the coffee. Even once we get Famewo & Innis back (and there is no saying that they wont break down or get injured again) our team is so shell shocked & disjointed we'll be lucky to string 3 wins together before our master tactician of a manger decides to drop the previous MOTM & put a left back in his place.

But you all go on believing that just because Bowyer played for us & has shows passion then we must stick by him no matter what. In the meantime I'll just call it as I see it (6 out of 7 correct result predictions since the new year) and wait for the rest of you to catch up.......because we ain't going anywhere.
    I take my hat off to you for the predictions, especially as you say you don’t always watch the matches. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Posted after reading. 

In the four or five games before Portsmouth we showed real signs of improvement. A bit less tinkering, slightly better setup. We’ve had a good window. It’s clear we need some tactical and selection stability going forward, but I’m hoping that Bowyer realised that. 
    I think it’s a bit mad to be calling for him to be sacked after the progress that has been made recently
    Oh, and I can’t really understand why people would criticise Oshi after his last four performances. 
    if you mean on the pitch then I must have missed that.
  • edited February 2021
    Interesting point about LM. We rested him as he had tight hamstrings so was an injury risk, but played him for 55 minutes as screwed our lineup selection.

The number of <45 min subs and playing 2 formations during 90 minutes on average, half way through the season is not good at all!

We were also a team who didn't want the substitution rule changed from 3 to 5, but now can't resist using 4/5 in most games. 

The underlying theme being, what are our principles? Do we have any? When are we sticking to them and when aren't we? Nothing is clear. 

*Come on Scottie, help me out*
  • edited February 2021
    An issue is when posters/fans point out there is a problem within the dressing room, people dismiss it even when they are told it has come from the mouths of players. When somebody points out there is a problem with a player's attitude, they all believe it without question. Fair enough, and I believe it too, but there is some selective believing going on.

Bowyer played hard ball and got a great contract. He knew Southall had to keep him on board at the time. There was a time in that window where it seemed Bowyer was more interested in that contract than anything else although with a transfer embargo, there probably wasn't anything that could be done. I don't get this super loyalty crap though. I don't believe Bowyer should be super loyal btw, I just am pretty sure he isn't.   
  • In the cold light of day, we got what we deserved. Absolutely nothing. We were disorganised all over the park. No spine through the back into midfield. We just opened up like the sea of tranquility. Gunter and DO ... Hmmmmn. JFC and Watson ... Hmmmn. I’m still baffled why Bowyer and Gallen didn’t think we needed another strong centre half in the window. On the plus side, Stockley is what we’ve been missing up top. That’s it on the plus side. Call me an old fool but I still think we can go on a late run and get into the play-offs. Up the Addicks 
  • DOUCHER said:
    One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

When is enough enough  ?  We have now won 4 games in our last 17. 

Is it when we win 5 in 20....?

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

Will you now accept that he has taken us as far as he can. 
    I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present...? - There is absolutely zero patience amongst Football fans anymore

For me its not a case he cant be at fault for anything, even I've been critical in recent weeks

But for me he gets a period into next season depending on results, gets a proper summer to work in pre-season @ Sparrows Lane and on a Training Camp to actually build a squad that is built on unity. This team has been rushed, its been put together in a panicked mess, its like sticking up a wall without any foundations and hoping it can do the job its there for.

The teams around us, how many of them have had to build virtually from scratch AGAIN this season... Instead I imagine they've put together a team of players that has been improved over the seasons to the point its strong enough to mount a serious promotion challenge

Regardless of who the Manager is next season, this summer HAS to be the last time that happens

We talk about recovering from Roland's era, we talk about the damage ESI have done, its going to take time to recover as a Football club.

But we wont get anywhere as a team without a stable team that is constantly being replaced and changed every season
    did any of that make bowyer drop purrington after our first clean sheet in ages,? bench millar after a motm performance and bench aneke, who, along with millar is one of the only 2 players available that can go past anybody? - i'm sorry, its brainless and he has to go 
        As a Loyal supporter of CAFC for 50 years 
        I cannot understand why so many fans think 
        That Sacking Lee Bowyer is the simple fix.
        We have been missing our two star defenders    
        For the last 8 plus Games.
        It does not take a genius to see that if the two 
        Valuable assets had been playing we would now 
        Probably be in the Top 4 and Lee Bowyer would
        Not have had to made so many changes and alterations to our failing and Goal leaking defence.
    once AKEN & INNIS are back the difference will be
    obvious even to many of anti Bowyer department. 👍👍👍

• esseffect said:
    So what did he get wrong this time then lads?

Problems with the line up? Probably just Millar really

Afraid the one thing I do think he has got wrong is his faith in Watson. The guy thinks he’s championship level but wouldn’t get into a non league team.

Cry babies out in force again. I think I’d die of a heart attack
    Surely you've noticed that the team is set up wrong most games, ensuring that we fall behind most games, shipping too many goals and not winning?

Bowyer tends to correct his mistakes once our chance of winning has gone, generally at half time.

It can't be just the players, we've played more players than anyone.

Oshilaja played well once again, so our total shambles most games is apparently down to having one good centre half missing?

The diamond shape as Bowyer is setting things up doesn't work.
    We had both wing backs attacking last night.
    On one occasion we were being attacked down our right for a constant period and Matthews was no where on screen.
    Matthews was pushed up too far as was Maatsen leaving the centre halves exposed.

The diamond shape left Pratley alone in the middle trying to protect the centre halves.

As I keep saying when we defend we need to defend with 9 if not 10 men, including goalie.
    We need 2 banks of 4 or 5 behind the ball, restricting the space, stopping forward runs and preventing and blocking shots.

Instead of 10 players trying to prevent a goal, we had in the main 2 centre halves and Pratley.

It won't make a big difference when Innis and Famewo return if they are expected together with one midfielder to stop the opposition by themselves.

Perhaps TS has told LB to be more attacking, as he was fed up with the sideways backwards passing at the start of the season, culminating in our passing back to Amos from our own half.

However, LB is running out of time to set these players up to play a sensible organised game, without being too negative or too gung ho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    I agree on starting Purrington for the next few. 

He’s a solid league one option that can actually pop up with a goal every now and then. He was decent for us last time we were here so leaving him out for a regressing Maatsen makes no sense to me.

Put him in, play 2 CBs and I guarantee we’d at least be a little harder to break down.
    Not sure I agree, defensively Maatsen is fine. It's his short passing and shooting that are the problem. He can cross and he can defend. 
  • edited February 2021
    I think the argument for Purrington is he is better in the air, when that is currently a defensive weakness. Of course it isn't something needed in a left back, but it helps for set pieces which is an area we look very vulnerable to.
  • Our midfield apart from Albie who is still learning the game was crap last night.
    No one will ever convince me that Jonny Williams and Marcus Maddison are worse players.
    than Gilbey, Shinnie, JFC and others. Just needed to be handled correctly by a manager with a brain.
    Easy to slag Albie off but Watson and Gunter never get criticised.
    Great we've signed two star players from Swindon! We are never going to retain Millar and possibly Stockley
    our only decent players outfield yesterday. Famewo set to go back to Norwich next season and Inness fitness very suspect (otherwise why would Palace have released him?). I'm finished with wasting a Tenner to watch this crap!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

He’s a solid league one option that can actually pop up with a goal every now and then. He was decent for us last time we were here so leaving him out for a regressing Maatsen makes no sense to me.

Put him in, play 2 CBs and I guarantee we’d at least be a little harder to break down.
    Not sure I agree, defensively Maatsen is fine. It's his short passing and shooting that are the problem. He can cross and he can defend. 
    Sort of agree re Maatson in his defensive mode, however, he seemed lost last night and
    def needs a Millar on the left, just seems to give his play a lift, otherwise he seems to get
    lost around the halfway line and ends up passing square or backwards, the outlet is not
    there for him.
  • Why is Deji winning headers a surprise.
    Since he has come back into the team he has been one of our most consistent performers and definitely our best defender (not that he's had much competition) but some people still want to put him down.
    Things like "he's a mistake waiting to happen" being one of the favourites.  
    We're already in a shit state without him it would be a lot worse.
    All the time that he remains one of our centre backs we will continue to ship goals for fun. 
    He gives his all but just isn't good enough. He will head the ball and win some tackles but he is generally clumsy when he challenges for the ball and gives away needless fouls time and time again.
    A lot of people seem to think that unless a player makes an obvious clanger then they can't be blamed when a goal is conceded.
    Deji is poor positionally because he does not read the game well. He allows himself to be dragged away from the centre far too often and there is no cohesion in the defence when he plays. 

• edited February 2021
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I don’t understand our defensive frailties. Individually our defenders play ok in the main. Tonight for instance, you couldn’t point the finger at any of the back 4 and say he had a shocker.  Yet as a unit we look like conceding every time the ball comes near our goal. Crosses put us in panic (whereas when we attack, our crosses usually hit the first defender or fly aimlessly over everyone.)
    we allow too much space particularly behind our full backs. I’m afraid this all points to the coaching and that falls on LB. hate to say it as he has earned a long list of brownie points but Lee is burning through them at some rate
    Defensive shape.

Because we had no wingers last night, the full-backs were required to push very high up. This left gaps and meant Oshi and Gunter had to cover more space. It allowed Pompey an out-ball into space and meant that we got pulled apart a bit. The last time I remember a full-back playing so high was Marco Motta but he had Rod Fanni covering his space (which he was good at). Plus Pompey managed to by-pass Pratley a couple of times and we got in a mess.

As for the 2nd goal; that was just weak defending/marking and good delivery from them. 

Add in recent mistakes (Pearce, Amos, Matthews/Watson etc) plus some brilliant finishing (Pompey x 2, Rochdale x 3 etc) and it all looks pretty grim. 
  • Can’t understand why maatsen and Gunter keep playing balls inside and the opposition’s midfield keep picking it off our midfield. We also had the square throw from maatsen straight to one of there midfielders.
    suicidal. 
    Maatsen needs a rest why was purrington dropped did he deserve to be dropped after last performance?
    Gunter for me has to be dropped but for some reason his first on the team sheet  I know some rate him but I can’t see it for a experienced player he makes so many bad choices.
  • Blucher said:

An abysmal evening started with a poor team selection, with a complete lack of width and pace and Albie Morgan deployed in an unfamiliar position at the tip of the diamond. JFC - who had a very poor game - also seemed to spend most of his time on the right, which inevitably meant that he cut inside and needed multiple touches.

What possessed Lee Bowyer to omit Millar from the starting line up and why did he feel the need to change his shape and structure - in so far as we had one in this shambolic performance ? Did he feel he had to try and match Portsmouth up in some way ? Kenny Jackett must have been absolutely delighted. You do have to wonder what goes on at Sparrow’s Lane in terms of defensive shape and organisation.

With the exception of Stockley, who was excellent, and Deji, who did well in a brutally exposed defence, none of the players looked comfortable in the disjointed ‘system’ we adopted.

Pompey are a strong and well organised side but we made them look far better than they are and Bowyer has to take a major share of responsibility for that. A series of sloppy and comedic errors - notably, from Watson for the third goal - cooked our goose but I have no real idea of what style of play our manager is trying to implement and I also wonder if he knows himself.

Talk of the play-offs is looking very fanciful and the direction of travel is - and has been since early November - downwards into mid-table obscurity. Bowyer needs to turn this around and show some signs of progress or I fear the owner is going to lose patience.

Blucher is always spot on and is once again.
    How will Bowyer turn it around?
    He makes mistakes with the team set up and selections most games and has to change it at HT, when the game can't be won.
    He needs to start with the best 11 and play 4-4-2, with everyone bar one striker getting behind the ball when we lose possession.
    It is very basic stuff and yet Bowyer hasn't shown the slightest hint of doing so.

I'm not saying we won't win at Rochdale, but who amongst the fan base is confident?
  • Sponsored links:

• Another very poor display. We are vulnerable at the back and predictable going forward, so will not win many games. Our experienced players let us down again in Watson and Gunter, but we deserved nothing. Portsmouth the better team and better manager, they analysed us well and knew how to break us down on the counter attack. There is not much time left for Bowyer to get it right or our season is over. 

Would like to see Stockley and Washington up front, that might work since Washington will provide another outlet in the channels. 

I agree. Against MK Dons, Stockley and Washington looked to have styles that complimented each other. It's not all about Stockley laying it off for Washington but more Stockley coming short and Washington making the runs, giving midfielders options. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

A confident, fresh Maatsen is a better option than Purrington. We've seen that the first half of the season.

The problem is right now he isn't that player. Purrington in for a couple of games takes that pressure off Maatsen and will hopefully allow him to play at the standard he was before.

I don't think we can get any worse defensively, so it's simply a case of trying something different and seeing if it changes anything.
  • I don't think the word 'poof' is appropriate for discussing what was after all the anti homophobia match.
  • 1968CAFC said:
    DOUCHER said:
    One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

When is enough enough  ?  We have now won 4 games in our last 17. 

Is it when we win 5 in 20....?

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

Will you now accept that he has taken us as far as he can. 
    I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present...? - There is absolutely zero patience amongst Football fans anymore

For me its not a case he cant be at fault for anything, even I've been critical in recent weeks

But for me he gets a period into next season depending on results, gets a proper summer to work in pre-season @ Sparrows Lane and on a Training Camp to actually build a squad that is built on unity. This team has been rushed, its been put together in a panicked mess, its like sticking up a wall without any foundations and hoping it can do the job its there for.

The teams around us, how many of them have had to build virtually from scratch AGAIN this season... Instead I imagine they've put together a team of players that has been improved over the seasons to the point its strong enough to mount a serious promotion challenge

Regardless of who the Manager is next season, this summer HAS to be the last time that happens

We talk about recovering from Roland's era, we talk about the damage ESI have done, its going to take time to recover as a Football club.

But we wont get anywhere as a team without a stable team that is constantly being replaced and changed every season
    did any of that make bowyer drop purrington after our first clean sheet in ages,? bench millar after a motm performance and bench aneke, who, along with millar is one of the only 2 players available that can go past anybody? - i'm sorry, its brainless and he has to go 
        As a Loyal supporter of CAFC for 50 years 
        I cannot understand why so many fans think 
        That Sacking Lee Bowyer is the simple fix.
        We have been missing our two star defenders    
        For the last 8 plus Games.
        It does not take a genius to see that if the two 
        Valuable assets had been playing we would now 
        Probably be in the Top 4 and Lee Bowyer would
        Not have had to made so many changes and alterations to our failing and Goal leaking defence.
    once AKEN & INNIS are back the difference will be
    obvious even to many of anti Bowyer department. 👍👍👍

i understand that but why drop purrington? why string 4 paceless centre mids across the park and why play a little and large up top with no width? i'm sorry but i've seen enough over the last year and i know all the excuses and mitigating circumstances  
  • i laugh at the should have had a centre back lined up comment from others, how could he ? We had no money to bring players in, we had to get players out the door which we have managed to do in the last couple of days, when we have had decent players Bowyer has proved he can do it, first 6 months of last year fit squad we were flying. Fuck me I actually think the players aint good enough and believe if he is here come the summer you will a mass cull and squad turnaround a la Chris Powell.
  • DOUCHER said:
    i've never seen a more clearer case of a manager losing the plot than what has happened this last year 
    Me neither. 

As for Gunter. I think he has done ok at right back. He isn't a centre half and whilst you can get away with it for the odd game, you can't game in game out.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The Manager and players are completely bereft of confidence, it started last season and has run into this one. We no longer play with any freedom and our players fear making mistakes. 

Bowyer's attitude towards attacking, flowing football isn't going to suddenly change. I had hoped he'd stopped mugging his players off to the media, he hasn't. Was Albie's decision to shoot really a poor one? Well after clipping the bar not long before probably not, sure the execution wasn't fantastic but he created enough space and another day that's on target.  Under Bowyer we will continue to pass to midfield, pass to defence, pass around defence until either a mistake or a long pumped ball forward.... That is all we have style wise. We're constantly waiting for gaps to open up further up field and it's not happening, because this isn't Sunday league.

In addition to this Chuks has looked like off the boil lately, we've not adapted to play in our new striker, we've not adapted our play to allow for Washington's injury and we look all over the shop.  We nick Swindon's best two players and they go on and win their next game... We know that'd be another excuse for Bowyer to have lost a game after losing two players. I'm surprised he didn't use it about Jonny, Maddison and Bogle tbh. 

I'll finish by saying I liked Lee Bowyer, what he did in 18/19 was stunning, but it's been 23 wins from his last 72 games. Sure 46 of those were in the league above, but that run including a relegation would see most managers elsewhere sacked, even in spite of his challenges faced. 

He hasn't stayed for us the fans or his love of CAFC, he has stayed because Southall put him on a big tasty contract with a high pay out if he were to be sacked. That has two years left on it and Lee won't walk away with that payout hovering in the background. 

If he were to miraculously change his ways and we return to winning ways and made the playoffs of course I'd accept I was wrong. But it is not about to happen. I imagine when he does get sacked, he will be straight back to his fishing lakes with enough money to never have to care about Football again. 
    What a ridiculous thing to say. Where was this shout during the Summer court cases or before the bad run of form? I hope you’re not just being reactive to  recent results. 

It’s no problem hating his style of management or wanting him to be replaced with someone else, but to suggest he’s only here for the money is utter nonsense. 

He was approached multiple times before this “big tasty contract”, which still isn’t anywhere near what other managers are paid in the Championship. He was doing a good job, well respected in the game and the fans loved him - hence being rewarded accordingly. 

Why twist the narrative? It’s this sort of rubbish that muddies the waters and just adds to the already toxic fan base. 
  • edited February 2021
    People seem to forget Morgan is 21 and hasn't been allowed a clean run of games by Bowyer. He's had 9 league starts rather sporadically.
    He's not going to be the finished article at his age, but has shown he has ability and if he gets a run of games he will become more consistent. 

In order:
    Cup - BENCHED Swindon 1-3 Charlton - Subbed on and immediately assists Aneke
    BENCHED Crewe 0-2 Charlton - Time waste sub
    CUP - BENCHED Charlton 0-3 West Ham - Didn't get off the bench

Charlton 1-3 Doncaster - Can't remember how well/poorly he played. 
    CUP - Charlton 1-1 Brighton U23 - Plays the full game, cancels out Lapslie's OG with a tidy finish.  
    Didn't play in the first team again until... Fleetwood 2 months later. (Placeholder on the bench in 4/7 games)
    Charlton 3-2 Fleetwood - Plays and gets a match winning assist. 
    CUP - Plymouth 1-0 Charlton - Can't remember much about this fixture think they were all bad. 

CUP - Charlton 3-1 Leyton Orient - Assists twice first for Aouachria and third goal for Maddison. 

Gillingham 1-1 Charlton - Plays most of the game runs himself into the ground.
    BENCHED for Burton Plays 32 mins gets an assist in a 4-2 loss
    Ipswich 0-2 Charlton - Starts & scores. 
    MK Dons 1-0 - Plays most of the game, can't remember how well he played. 
    BENCHED for Shrewsbury - Plays 28 mins in a 1-1 draw
    Dropped for AFC W (5-2 win) & Swindon (2-2)
    BENCHED For Plymouth - Plays well (Did he play in Matthews to Assist Maddison?)
    Hull 2-0 Charlton - Starts Nothing comes off for anyone.
    Charlton 0-2 Accrington - Starts Nothing comes off for anyone. 
    BENCHED for Rochdale 4-4 - Comes on at half time and is a hugely positive influence on the team. 
    Bristol 0-1 Charlton - Plays well, then two silly fouls sees red. Well Bowyer did ask for more physicality ;)
    Suspended for P'Boro
    BENCHED for Swindon 2-2 - Plays a more defensive game but does well enough.
    BENCHED for MK Dons 1-0 win - Comes on but does nothing of note good or bad. 
    Charlton 1-3 Portsmouth - Harshly subbed at halftime after showing positive intent, hitting the cross bar but a couple of silly fouls.