Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January | 7pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    With the defence so weakened and attack not firing, I cannot see past a loss. 0 to Charlton, 1 or 2 to Rochdale.
  • Options
    I may have to make a reasoned decision not to watch tonight.

It's one thing to watch a pathetic defeat at the Valley and vent the pain and frustration with others but to sit there alone like a sad loser, hunched over a laptop in the dark, viewing a poor quality League 1 game in an empty stadium is taking its toll.

There just aren't enough positive inputs at the moment to dilute the disappointment and agony of watching Charlton. 
  • Options
    I notice all the forecasted starting line ups nobody has Schwartz starting, is that really unlikely ? I'm not sure if he is fit enough yet but might we see him starting ?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I notice all the forecasted starting line ups nobody has Schwartz starting, is that really unlikely ? I'm not sure if he is fit enough yet but might we see him starting ?
    Would give him a couple more weeks first
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    He starts in my line up but that's because my line up is all about attack attack attack which is clearly ridiculous when we could be grinding out a 1-0 defeat 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

smyth on for schwarz if knackered at half time -  get on the front foot for christ sake 

i don't expect this, i expect another clueless line up and a defeat
     Amos

Matthews - Pearce - Oshilaja - Purrington

Millar - Williams - Morgan - Maatsen

Aneke - Schwartz

So you want our centre backs the wrong way round? 
    That team would be overrun in centre midfield and we'd lose tonight. Williams can't play as part of a central midfield pair (have you ever seen him put a tackle in!) and Morgan was anonymous on Friday - we may as well have had 10 men out there. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

smyth on for schwarz if knackered at half time -  get on the front foot for christ sake 

Amos

Aneke - Schwartz

That team would be overrun in centre midfield and we'd lose tonight. Williams can't play as part of a central midfield pair (have you ever seen him put a tackle in!) and Morgan was anonymous on Friday - we may as well have had 10 men out there. 
    yeah yeah yeah, if that's what you think, let's go for the dull narrow defeat - looking forward to it  
  • Options
    Charlton 0 - 3 rochdale. Bowyer in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strange.  Usually really looking forward to matches, but now I have a gnawing feeling of dread.  We are not going in the right direction at the moment and everything about the team is negative, not least the signals given out by our manager.

Unless LB fundamentally changes his approach and has a clear, positive strategy that the players understand, that is not going to change and as a result, we will continue floundering.

However, I live in hope.

*nervously awaits team-sheet*
  • Options
    Think we lose again tonight. I;m hoping it is rock bottom though. I'd honestly take a hard earned point and an organized looking performance. To be honest, I can take losing if we look like a team again.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

Amos

Aneke - Schwartz

.....that you Lee??
  • Options
    If he can't sort the defence out we're stuffed. It's obviously a problem with injuries but that's where we are and he has to stop us shipping so many goals.

We've conceded two goals a game in the last five games which at L1 level is pretty poor. We don't have the attacking threat to get round this.

I just hope we don't concede early.

Only half the problem for me, it's the midfield that needs sorting win that midfield battle concede less chances & create more. Midfield look unorganised, lacklustre, slow, lethargic along with getting needless bookings and giving away free-kicks around our penalty box.

Accrington had 20 attempts on goal pretty much every team this season has had double figures in attempts against us even when we have won it's been because we was more clinical at finishing on those occasions.

We have played 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 4-3-3...  it doesn't matter what system we still get overrun either we don't keep possession and get pegged back invite pressure or we have possession and get caught out too easy on the counter. 

• Options
    If he can't sort the defence out we're stuffed.

I agree. But tonight there is no reason to change the back 4. We might have let in 2 on Friday night & Pearce is a bit clumsy, but him & Oshilaja are the only recognised centre halves we have. If he starts putting Matthews at left back, or Gunter at centre half I'm done.
  • Options
    It's time for a settled team. Last week being on Sky actually saw them lace out some fancy facts which seemed to surprise the Management team at the club. 

I'd be happy to see Schwartz start and be subbed when tires. Only one way to get match fitness. 

Regardless of our form, a win will keep us there or thereabouts for the play offs. 
  • Options
    I agree - give the back four a bit of consistency of selection. Both Pearce and Deji are not below League One and we are playing a lower league one team. 
  • Options
    Amos
    Matthews Gunter, Pearce, Purrington
    Millar Morgan JFC Maatsen
    Washington
    Bogle

Bench:  AMB, Aneke, Schwartz, and reluctantly Oshilaja Gilbey Williams better yet any of the U23 regulars who didn't play yesterday

That midfield's a bit light on battlers so the plan is to bypass them as much a possible
    Keep a very high line - halfway is ideal - no pissing around suicidal sideways bollocks by defenders
    Bogle plays back to goal all the while - full backs hit him with the ball as quickly as possible with Washington Millar and Maatsen sticking close by in a 3 man arc for running on to the 2nd ball
    It will be ugly and repetitive but obviates all the self-induced calamity of recent weeks - this is the 3rd division with 3rd division players
    When Bogle's batteries run down after about 60 minutes, Chuks on and switch to him chasing channel balls, when Washington's gasping, replace him with Ronnie
  • Options
    Surely Bogle won’t be involved....
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Fumbluff said:
    Surely Bogle won’t be involved....
    Yeh, the mind boggles😁...........I’m here all week folks 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't see Bogle not making the bench last game to starting.

Which probably means he'll start.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I can't see Bogle not making the bench last game to starting.

Which probably means he'll start.
    centre mid with oshalaja - they can cover each other and cover the back four and compleley put the cover over the corpse of our season 
  • Options
    Thought a lot about the team I would play but to be fair there are not enough good players for a productive front six so I always give up. Bowyer might as well toss a coin. 
    If Bowyer gets top six he will have done well. 
  • Options
    Charlton 0 - 3 rochdale. Bowyer in De Nile

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jonny Williams and Chuks Aneke have to be looked after constantly – whether that is minutes or whether they start or come on. We have to look after them.

Jonny's only started FOUR league games this season, and 5 times he was on the bench but didn't come on, there's no danger of him being overused this season...
    I would love to know what % of minutes Williams played, when fit, in his first year compared to his second year.

Before he got, seriously, injured last autumn he seemed to start almost every Saturday game.  I don't think he has started 10 in the last year. 
    It seems like he's played more minutes for Wales than he has for Charlton this season.

A bit of an exaggeration, of course ....... but there doesn't seem much reluctance for Wales to use him.

• Options
    I think I saw Bogle in the clubs tweet with players arriving 
  • Options
    Comfortable 4-0 home win (sorry happyvalley) ;)
    We need to score 4 as they will score 3..
  • Options
    Who’s the second player in the video? Looks like Inniss