Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January | 7pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Major said:
    I have to say the Boring Bowyer bashing bandwagon on a preview thread is becoming a tad tedious but with regard to tomorrow's match, is there an alternative to Pearce?
    No. 

Unless Purrington lol 
  • Options
    Barker.
    Yes he's young and will make mistakes but if our so called captain can make mistake after mistake then why not try Barker again? Pearce won't be a Charlton player after the summer so Bowyer could be bold/brave and start integrating a young defender now. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

smyth on for schwarz if knackered at half time -  get on the front foot for christ sake 

i don't expect this, i expect another clueless line up and a defeat

Makes me laugh that the same people who absolutely slam Bowyer's tactics and team selection suggest a midfield made up entirely of 5 foot nothing attacking mids and no JFC (only CM tackling and showing up at the moment), at a time when we're shipping 2 goals a game. 

I think Bowyer has made plenty of mistakes in recent weeks, but it just goes to show how clueless some of the outspoken critics are.  

have you played much football? do you know how demoralising / demotivating it is for a team when there is no attacking intent / way to score a goal?
    I think Bowyer should set us out with more attacking intent at times but I'm not naive enough to think a 4-4-2 with 4 attacking midfielders and no anchor would work in a million years. If teams have broken through us with the ease they have in recent weeks it would be off the scale with a Morgan-Williams midfield pairing and wingers either side. 

I wouldn't mind your childish tactical ideas (none of us our experts, even though your suggestion is particularly bizarre) if you didn't go around calling Bowyer and everyone else clueless every 5 minutes.   
    so the answers no then - guessing you play a lot of fifa and read a lot of tactical 'stuff' - ever heard of best form of defence is to attack? just playing decent football would be a start and to do that you need your footballers on the pitch   
    Played football all my life, can't stand FIFA, not one for reading massively in-depth tactical analysis, but still know that your suggestions are complete nonsense mate. 

As I say, that in itself isn't a problem at all, as we're just fans on a message board and not wannabe coaches, but you sounding off at Bowyer and everyone else's tactical nous is just laughable when we can see how little you actually know about these things. 

I've been massively frustrated by Bowyer's selections and decisions in recent months, but I'm not as relentlessly boring about it as people like you are, and I think CL is a little more bearable if we can just pull back a bit at times. 
    we shall agree to disagree - your opinion is irrelevant to me even if mine grates on you - of course my line up is very attacking and of course the perceived wisdom is that you need a ball winner in the middle - well guess what, we don't have one so lets get on the front foot and attack  
    There is no need for that. We are all fans and have opinions. Anybody saying someone else's opinions are irrelevant is a bad look for that person. 
    and you're the arbiter are you? he can call my selection childish but i can't say his opinion is irrelevant - his opinion is a regurgitation of the footballing cliche's that are being rolled out on here and that get rolled out by our prediction guys every week - they put what they think is bowyer's likely team and in the chat, discount other options but the point is, there are massively different options available to bowyer than the path he is going dfown - such is the regurgitation that the likes of redrobo is laughing on another thread that i picked williams in centre mid - centre mid is williams favoured position, where he played for us last year in the champ when we were pl;aying well and where he plays international football for wales - redrobo is either blinded by his support for bowyer or frankly a bit daft - the match predictions page needs a shake up if you ask me a
    nd a dose of reality and a step outside of the bowyer support mantra sopeople like redrobo can see the wood for the trees, if nothing else  
    You selected Morgan and Williams as the central two midfielders. Millar right wing, Maatsen left wing, and you think I maybe a bit daft? Who is going to win the ball and protect the back four?
    Did you see the team I suggested? Do you think Bowyer will play that side? You are the one going Bowyer with Maatsen as a midfielder; but playing Millar wide right?

Thank you for the compliment that I can see the wood for the trees.
    a lot of your post is unintelligible but i will do my best to answer  - williams and morgan, in particular, are midfield players, they are allowed to tackle -believe it or not, you do not have to have somebody sitting in front of the back four - purrington will provide more defensive cover for the centre backs than maatsen and maatsen and maatsen, as a left midfielder will be effective going both ways - i have never said don't play maatsen left mid. Do you now accept williams being centre mid is not that laughable or do you want to swop him for jfc who offers a fraction going forwards compared to williams  and not much defensively - glad i have helped you to see a bit more clearly - i won't charge, we're friends  :D
    I agree they are allowed to tackle, they just don’t very often. I would not start Williams. Ever. 

Maatsen is a very good player and can happily play left wing, and in my opinion, centrally as well. 
    I would not play Millar on the right wing in only a his second start for us. If we were to play both I would swap them over.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

smyth on for schwarz if knackered at half time -  get on the front foot for christ sake 

Makes me laugh that the same people who absolutely slam Bowyer's tactics and team selection suggest a midfield made up entirely of 5 foot nothing attacking mids and no JFC (only CM tackling and showing up at the moment), at a time when we're shipping 2 goals a game. 

I think Bowyer has made plenty of mistakes in recent weeks, but it just goes to show how clueless some of the outspoken critics are.  

have you played much football? do you know how demoralising / demotivating it is for a team when there is no attacking intent / way to score a goal?
    I think Bowyer should set us out with more attacking intent at times but I'm not naive enough to think a 4-4-2 with 4 attacking midfielders and no anchor would work in a million years. If teams have broken through us with the ease they have in recent weeks it would be off the scale with a Morgan-Williams midfield pairing and wingers either side. 

I wouldn't mind your childish tactical ideas (none of us our experts, even though your suggestion is particularly bizarre) if you didn't go around calling Bowyer and everyone else clueless every 5 minutes.   
    so the answers no then - guessing you play a lot of fifa and read a lot of tactical 'stuff' - ever heard of best form of defence is to attack? just playing decent football would be a start and to do that you need your footballers on the pitch   
    Played football all my life, can't stand FIFA, not one for reading massively in-depth tactical analysis, but still know that your suggestions are complete nonsense mate. 

As I say, that in itself isn't a problem at all, as we're just fans on a message board and not wannabe coaches, but you sounding off at Bowyer and everyone else's tactical nous is just laughable when we can see how little you actually know about these things. 

I've been massively frustrated by Bowyer's selections and decisions in recent months, but I'm not as relentlessly boring about it as people like you are, and I think CL is a little more bearable if we can just pull back a bit at times. 
    we shall agree to disagree - your opinion is irrelevant to me even if mine grates on you - of course my line up is very attacking and of course the perceived wisdom is that you need a ball winner in the middle - well guess what, we don't have one so lets get on the front foot and attack  
    There is no need for that. We are all fans and have opinions. Anybody saying someone else's opinions are irrelevant is a bad look for that person. 
    and you're the arbiter are you? he can call my selection childish but i can't say his opinion is irrelevant - his opinion is a regurgitation of the footballing cliche's that are being rolled out on here and that get rolled out by our prediction guys every week - they put what they think is bowyer's likely team and in the chat, discount other options but the point is, there are massively different options available to bowyer than the path he is going dfown - such is the regurgitation that the likes of redrobo is laughing on another thread that i picked williams in centre mid - centre mid is williams favoured position, where he played for us last year in the champ when we were pl;aying well and where he plays international football for wales - redrobo is either blinded by his support for bowyer or frankly a bit daft - the match predictions page needs a shake up if you ask me a
    nd a dose of reality and a step outside of the bowyer support mantra sopeople like redrobo can see the wood for the trees, if nothing else  
    You selected Morgan and Williams as the central two midfielders. Millar right wing, Maatsen left wing, and you think I maybe a bit daft? Who is going to win the ball and protect the back four?
    Did you see the team I suggested? Do you think Bowyer will play that side? You are the one going Bowyer with Maatsen as a midfielder; but playing Millar wide right?

a lot of your post is unintelligible but i will do my best to answer  - williams and morgan, in particular, are midfield players, they are allowed to tackle -believe it or not, you do not have to have somebody sitting in front of the back four - purrington will provide more defensive cover for the centre backs than maatsen and maatsen and maatsen, as a left midfielder will be effective going both ways - i have never said don't play maatsen left mid. Do you now accept williams being centre mid is not that laughable or do you want to swop him for jfc who offers a fraction going forwards compared to williams  and not much defensively - glad i have helped you to see a bit more clearly - i won't charge, we're friends  :D
    I agree they are allowed to tackle, they just don’t very often. I would not start Williams. Ever. 

Maatsen is a very good player and can happily play left wing, and in my opinion, centrally as well. 
    I would not play Millar on the right wing in only a his second start for us. If we were to play both I would swap them over.
    ok, so we have established that you are anti williams - giggs likes him and curbs said he likes him and would look to get him involved in the playmaking dept - we all view things differently - you want oshalaja in midfield i believe - can tackle but couldn't trap a bag of cement and has zero awareness - as was proved when he played a few games there last year and continually gave the ball away or passed it straight off the pitch - if you think that;s the way to keep a clean sheet, now that's laughable so again. lets agree to disagree coz i'm right and you ain't.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

ok, so we have established that you are anti williams - giggs likes him and curbs said he likes him and would look to get him involved in the playmaking dept - we all view things differently - you want oshalaja in midfield i believe - can tackle but couldn't trap a bag of cement and has zero awareness - as was proved when he played a few games there last year and continually gave the ball away or passed it straight off the pitch - if you think that;s the way to keep a clean sheet, now that's laughable so again. lets agree to disagree coz i'm right and you ain't.
    Oshi in front of the back four with FC to allow the other two midfielders to attack and the full backs to push up. As neither of our teams will start we will never know.
  • Options
    no vendetta here @sage, just wanted to air my views on where bowyer and some on here are going wrong - i get shirty in response to others when they do - i don't agree with your views, you don't agree with mine - i'd sooner put out a side that has a chance of creating chances rather than one that will meekly surrender to another home defeat - you find that frightening,i find it refreshing - to keep doing the same and expecting a different outcome is the sign of madness and if we go with another typical bowyer line up, like the one's yourself and sage predict, we will get a draw if lucky.
  • Options
    1-0 win. Nothing fancy. Happy to sit and watch 90 mins of pure rubbish to see us stop the rot and get a win and a clean sheet.
    Agreed. However, with Rochdale scoring THREE on Saturday, I fear he worst:1-2
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    no vendetta here @sage, just wanted to air my views on where bowyer and some on here are going wrong - i get shirty in response to others when they do - i don't agree with your views, you don't agree with mine - i'd sooner put out a side that has a chance of creating chances rather than one that will meekly surrender to another home defeat - you find that frightening,i find it refreshing - to keep doing the same and expecting a different outcome is the sign of madness and if we go with another typical bowyer line up, like the one's yourself and sage predict, we will get a draw if lucky.
    That’s a better response.

As said I think the majority of us can get behind a more attacking line up. But you need balance and that is what goes against yourself specific line up.

Our main weakness at the moment is not a lack of creating chances, we have created enough in the last few to score more. The main weakness is how vulnerable we are in midfield and soft at the back. The personnel you would like to see would defensively and organisationally be all over the place.

Sure it might create a few mate re chances, but they’d have to get out their half first and win the ball high enough.

Without another presence in midfield to go along with Morgan and Williams, we would get far too over run and would end up losing.

We can agree to disagree, that’s fine. Which we do. I just don’t like the way you’ve gone about it on this thread to multiple people, some of whom haven’t even engaged in your posts.

Finally, as I’ve gone against what I was going to do, that’s it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Start winning games and I'm sure nobody will give a toss about how many changes he makes.
    As it stands, it seems like a symptom of the lack of cohesion, organisation and fluidity in our performances and worse than that it makes the manager look indecisive.
    As an aside, this "looking after" players shit really gets my goat, however unreasonable that sounds
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Dizzle said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    OldRed51 said:
    LB must make first team changes from Friday after his public scathing of soft! Kids at Arsenal turned their corner. One of Barker, Vennings for resting to bench Maatsen. What do you think has LB true faith in all his players.
    Barker, Henry and Vennings are not playing for the under 21s today. Could be nothing, could mean they are in contention for the squad tomorrow night
    I think Vennings is injured. Has Barker been playing for the 23’s? Henry is also just 17/18, he might just be not selected for the 23’s
    Not today
    Defending errors to blame in last to outings. Time to forget 4-3-3. Go Chuks and Miller up top and Washington as extra midfield. Amos Gunter Oshi Pearcey Purrington JFC Gilbey Maatsen Washington Aneke Millar
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    No admission that he has made to many unnecessary ones.  He still fighting the second half of last season.  He needs to let that go else it will eat away at him.

"It is what it is, but if we keep doing what we are doing and believe in it we will get in the play offs"

What happened to that Lee Bowyer.  Its now more. 

"Well what do you want me to do? The players are shit, don't care and don't try".
    He's like a bloke that has been cheated on in the past and now believes every relationship will be the same... 

Get over it, what's done is done. New season, new relationship. If he doesn't he's just going to create an issue for himself every season. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The Tuesday Saturday comment - Are we the only team having to do this? The Chuks and Williams comment, ok add 2 to the final number!

For those of us who think we have pretty decent midfielders, it highlights the potential problem. They keep being chopped and changed too much. We have seen this even when they have had a great game and not featured in the next.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    No admission that he has made to many unnecessary ones.  He still fighting the second half of last season.  He needs to let that go else it will eat away at him.

"It is what it is, but if we keep doing what we are doing and believe in it we will get in the play offs"

What happened to that Lee Bowyer.  Its now more. 

"Well what do you want me to do? The players are shit, don't care and don't try".
    He's like a bloke that has been cheated on in the past and now believes every relationship will be the same... 

Get over it, what's done is done. New season, new relationship. If he doesn't he's just going to create an issue for himself every season. 
    LB assessment is we are behind most clubs at start of season. We then go on a fantastic run and match congestion floors centre back options. Defence becomes loose our attackers miss chances so slide occurs. Hang on what am I saying we're sitting 7th in league after all that! The season is a strange one for all clubs losing to almost anyone at anytime. Final judgement on LB can only be once he has opportunity to put settled defensive partnerships back together! Now come on you reds and forum dig deep for just a little longer!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    None of us have the power to sack Bowyer, and the owner is so much in credit with us that we are not going to question him if he does or he doesn't. He needs to live by his decision in relation to his own project. I wonder what team we will see tonight? It always seems to be a voyage of discovery at the moment. I would argue that with the teams doing well, the fans will have a good idea what the team will be.
  • Options
    My opinion for what its worth is I want Bowyer to stay and be successful. I just think he needs to adapt a bit better and if players are missing then teamwork and cohesion then it is more important than ever to know your best side. Needs someone in PR who can help him not be so blunt. You can tell players in the changing room how shit as its just those in the room hearing it. You tell the public how shit a player is and it blows up. I 100% believe he needs an experienced head to help him, Curbs would be perfect. 

He can clearly do a good job but if im honest, he seems to have had a panic about things. Charlie Barker should be in the side...talented and composed. He will never learn if he doesnt cock up. 

Anyway......1-0 Charlton, poor game but we scrape through.  Millar. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This isn't going to be a walkover by any stretch of the imagination just because they are down towards the bottom of the league. We don't seem to play well against the teams hovering around the bottom half. However it was clear that LB was completely pissed off after Fridays woeful showing, and therefore I hope every single one of the players has had their individual meetings with him and maybe, in many cases, a private rocket up their arses!!
    I'll be looking for fight and passion and finally putting a team to the 'sword' and I'm hopeful tonight will be that night. 3-0 Addicks!

Finally it seems many threads on here (and elsewhere) at the moment are discussing LB and his 'future' one way or another.....in the end its TS decision, after-all its his money, its his project and its his 5 year plan!!
    If TS is happy to stick with LB then that's fine by me, if in the end he decides to move him on then that again will be fine by me....as its not my money! Apparently, I read somewhere, he is happy to give a full year to LB and a couple of transfer windows with backing, so that's October 2021, if that's the case perhaps we can just move on and support LB like the owner seems to be doing? Just a thought!
  • Options
    Bowyer, in his current state, puts me in mind of the story Jimmy Greaves always used to tell about Billy Nicholason's team talk before a European cup game, where he bigged Athletic Madrid up so much he scared the shit out of his players.

What we need is a Danny Blanchflower to remind our own players that actually, they are quite good. 
  • Options
    If he can't sort the defence out we're stuffed. It's obviously a problem with injuries but that's where we are and he has to stop us shipping so many goals.

We've conceded two goals a game in the last five games which at L1 level is pretty poor. We don't have the attacking threat to get round this.

I just hope we don't concede early.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Glad I noticed it starts at 7 and not 7.45pm.
    Yes 👍, the 7.45 ko last Friday, presumably to suit Sky's programme schedule, could throw a few fans but a 7.00pm ko for our midweek home games has tended to become the norm this season and worth bearing in mind for the immediate future.
  • Options
    If he can't sort the defence out we're stuffed. It's obviously a problem with injuries but that's where we are and he has to stop us shipping so many goals.

We've conceded two goals a game in the last five games which at L1 level is pretty poor. We don't have the attacking threat to get round this.

I just hope we don't concede early.
    Hope he continues with the same defence as he did on Friday. It wasn't great, but Deji was solid, and although Pearce f*d up massively, at least he's a CB, with Matthews/Gunter on the right and Maatsen on the left. Right now that's our best option defensively
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Great preview and would take that 3cb line up starting, until we get Pratley back in midfield the available options are just too light weight, and with Deji effectively starting his season last game, may give a more settled nerves back line.

However, wouldn't be surprised to see a flat 442 match up.

Amos
      Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Maatsen
        Matthews Morgan JFC Smyth
                Washington Aneke

2-1 win