Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January | 7pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    RedChaser said:
    AndyG said:
    RedChaser said:
    AndyG said:
    I see little point in trying to stop conceding goals, it aint going to happen at the moment. I would rather say ok they are going to score 2 so we need to score 3, best chance of getting the points at the moment for me
    Why? If players switch on for ninety plus minutes, cut out the stupid mistakes and those selected do their jobs properly don't concede and we only need to score one goal failing which we've got what we started with, a point.
    Ok but can you see that happening at the moment ? I just cant see much of a chance that we are not going to concede atleast 1 goal at the moment.
    My glass is nearly always half full Andy try it, just leave the tap running a little longer  ;)
    Haha mate I'm normally a total optimist concerning all thing Charlton however until we get some defenders back or the ones we have available find a way to get some confidence I dont think there is a chance in hell we are not conceding, which means somehow we need to score 2 minimum and that isnt going to happen playing poor old Washington up there on his own chasing anything that moves
    That's fair enough but don't forget defending starts from the front and that includes midfield...............oh hang on a minute 😩.
  • Options
    We desperately seem some defensive cover in midfield as we can't have a midfield with just flair players. With Pratley and Watson absent, the options are pretty light

JFC - will do a job if you tell him to sit but not ideal
    Lapslie - Bowyer won't recall him
    Dempsey - out on loan, presumably Bowyer won't recall him

That doesn't leave much else, other than playing players out of position, could Purrington or Matthews do a job there, if you tell them to just sit in front of the centre backs?

• Options
    We desperately seem some defensive cover in midfield as we can't have a midfield with just flair players. With Pratley and Watson absent, the options are pretty light

JFC - will do a job if you tell him to sit but not ideal
    Lapslie - Bowyer won't recall him
    Dempsey - out on loan, presumably Bowyer won't recall him

That doesn't leave much else, other than playing players out of position, could Purrington or Matthews do a job there, if you tell them to just sit in front of the centre backs?

Possibly or you put Maatsen LEFT mid (please take note Lee) and Purrington at left back and leave JFC in front of the CBs.
  • Options
    As Killer said, without Pratley or Watson in Mid we don't have any bite in midfield so we are a bit lightweight there, especially when Gilbey lunges in to tackles in the way he does. This was always the risk playing Pratley and Watson week in/out that they would both pick up suspensions/injuries simultaneously.

JFC is the only real CDM option in front of the defence, and I would say was our best Midfielder on Friday. However you could bring Deji forward to sit in front of the CBs but then you'll have to shoehorn Gunter into RCB. Neither of which is ideal - JFC leaves us lacking the bite, Deji leaves us with people out of position.

We did have Levitt who could also play in that position, but he wouldn't have added much in terms of strength in the mid either.
  • Options
    3-0.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I see little point in trying to stop conceding goals, it aint going to happen at the moment. I would rather say ok they are going to score 2 so we need to score 3, best chance of getting the points at the moment for me
    I think that is the logical approach.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think that is the logical approach.
    Nah, time for a clean sheet.
  • Options
    As @Sage puts in his preview, Rochdale have already scored 4 & 5 goals in previous games & managed to score 3 in the 2nd half on Saturday to grab a point after being 3-0 down. This shows that they have goals in them. Might have a leaky defence but we are not that prolific in front of goal (especially not recently) and so sadly I am going for a hat trick of correct scores (after predicting losses against Hull & Accrington).

1-3. And Bowyer told to collect his P45 as he drives out the car park.  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

smyth on for schwarz if knackered at half time -  get on the front foot for christ sake 

i don't expect this, i expect another clueless line up and a defeat

Makes me laugh that the same people who absolutely slam Bowyer's tactics and team selection suggest a midfield made up entirely of 5 foot nothing attacking mids and no JFC (only CM tackling and showing up at the moment), at a time when we're shipping 2 goals a game. 

I think Bowyer has made plenty of mistakes in recent weeks, but it just goes to show how clueless some of the outspoken critics are.  

have you played much football? do you know how demoralising / demotivating it is for a team when there is no attacking intent / way to score a goal?
    I think Bowyer should set us out with more attacking intent at times but I'm not naive enough to think a 4-4-2 with 4 attacking midfielders and no anchor would work in a million years. If teams have broken through us with the ease they have in recent weeks it would be off the scale with a Morgan-Williams midfield pairing and wingers either side. 

I wouldn't mind your childish tactical ideas (none of us our experts, even though your suggestion is particularly bizarre) if you didn't go around calling Bowyer and everyone else clueless every 5 minutes.   
    so the answers no then - guessing you play a lot of fifa and read a lot of tactical 'stuff' - ever heard of best form of defence is to attack? just playing decent football would be a start and to do that you need your footballers on the pitch   
  • Options
    southgate did same as what bowyers been doing when he played henderson, rice and dier in the same midfield and wondered why we were so shit - our midfield has been about as dynamic as when we had crofts and foley in there and we wonder why we are so shit - brainless some people  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     maddison and bogle are this years magennis - blunt  
  • Options
    as i said on the other thread, i'll support bowyer if he admits we need to start again with both a squad rebuild and a tactical transformation - put his hands up and say that yes, despite all the constraints of the last year, i have also fucked up badly and have compounded the squad issues with some horendously negative crap, which he has - if he doesn't accept this and thinks none of it is his fault then i see little point in him being given time 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I watch for it. Every time Bowyer is asked a question he could put a positive spin on, he does the opposite. It tells you where his mind is at and is night and day compared to what he was doing when he first came into the job. That is not hard to see unless you have your head in the sand.

If our opponents aren't playing much football it is an advantage to them, if they are playing too much it is an advantage to them. Games in hand is a disadvantage to us! Five subs is also a disadvantage to a team like us, even though our squad is deep and we have our best players that can't play 90 minutes. It goes on. There is something not right there.
  • Options
    I watch for it. Every time Bowyer is asked a question he could put a positive spin on, he does the opposite. It tells you where his mind is at and is night and day compared to what he was doing when he first came into the job. That is not hard to see unless you have your head in the sand.

If our opponents aren't playing much football it is an advantage to them, if they are playing too much it is an advantage to them. Five subs is a disadvantage to a team like us, even though our squad is deep and we have our best players that can't play 90 minutes. It goes on. There is something not right there.
    He should just steer clear of interviews.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

smyth on for schwarz if knackered at half time -  get on the front foot for christ sake 

Makes me laugh that the same people who absolutely slam Bowyer's tactics and team selection suggest a midfield made up entirely of 5 foot nothing attacking mids and no JFC (only CM tackling and showing up at the moment), at a time when we're shipping 2 goals a game. 

I think Bowyer has made plenty of mistakes in recent weeks, but it just goes to show how clueless some of the outspoken critics are.  

have you played much football? do you know how demoralising / demotivating it is for a team when there is no attacking intent / way to score a goal?
    I think Bowyer should set us out with more attacking intent at times but I'm not naive enough to think a 4-4-2 with 4 attacking midfielders and no anchor would work in a million years. If teams have broken through us with the ease they have in recent weeks it would be off the scale with a Morgan-Williams midfield pairing and wingers either side. 

I wouldn't mind your childish tactical ideas (none of us our experts, even though your suggestion is particularly bizarre) if you didn't go around calling Bowyer and everyone else clueless every 5 minutes.   
    so the answers no then - guessing you play a lot of fifa and read a lot of tactical 'stuff' - ever heard of best form of defence is to attack? just playing decent football would be a start and to do that you need your footballers on the pitch   
    I sort of see where you are coming from as I think Williams has played in a 2 man mid with Wales, but Williams and Morgan in the middle and we would be beat by half time. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Shinnie and Williams works best but Shinnie is injured. I'd take Lapslie and Williams at the moment to inject that busy energy we are sadly lacking, but Lapslie is being released.
  • Options
    Don't think we have a prayer.

We will open the door and invite another club from the relegation zone to take home the three points.

Something appears drastically wrong with the players spirits within the squad at the moment and I think they are all frightened to death to make a mistake. Consequently they will again and we will feel as bad again when we witness another game thrown away.

I wish I felt differently but I cannot see us playing like a well-oiled machine until someone can change the current mind set of the players and get rid of their jitters.  0-2 loss.

(I will be following the match thread as usual hoping we can break the hoodoo and achieve the change in fortunes we all so desperately want to see) 

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

Played football all my life, can't stand FIFA, not one for reading massively in-depth tactical analysis, but still know that your suggestions are complete nonsense mate. 

As I say, that in itself isn't a problem at all, as we're just fans on a message board and not wannabe coaches, but you sounding off at Bowyer and everyone else's tactical nous is just laughable when we can see how little you actually know about these things. 

I've been massively frustrated by Bowyer's selections and decisions in recent months, but I'm not as relentlessly boring about it as people like you are, and I think CL is a little more bearable if we can just pull back a bit at times. 
    we shall agree to disagree - your opinion is irrelevant to me even if mine grates on you - of course my line up is very attacking and of course the perceived wisdom is that you need a ball winner in the middle - well guess what, we don't have one so lets get on the front foot and attack  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we will win tomorrow and then the next one and all this Bowyer out talk will be forgotten and we can concentrate on which megastar we will buy next. (Ducks for cover)
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

Played football all my life, can't stand FIFA, not one for reading massively in-depth tactical analysis, but still know that your suggestions are complete nonsense mate. 

As I say, that in itself isn't a problem at all, as we're just fans on a message board and not wannabe coaches, but you sounding off at Bowyer and everyone else's tactical nous is just laughable when we can see how little you actually know about these things. 

I've been massively frustrated by Bowyer's selections and decisions in recent months, but I'm not as relentlessly boring about it as people like you are, and I think CL is a little more bearable if we can just pull back a bit at times. 
    we shall agree to disagree - your opinion is irrelevant to me even if mine grates on you - of course my line up is very attacking and of course the perceived wisdom is that you need a ball winner in the middle - well guess what, we don't have one so lets get on the front foot and attack  
    There is no need for that. We are all fans and have opinions. Anybody saying someone else's opinions are irrelevant is a bad look for that person. 
    and you're the arbiter are you? he can call my selection childish but i can't say his opinion is irrelevant - his opinion is a regurgitation of the footballing cliche's that are being rolled out on here and that get rolled out by our prediction guys every week - they put what they think is bowyer's likely team and in the chat, discount other options but the point is, there are massively different options available to bowyer than the path he is going dfown - such is the regurgitation that the likes of redrobo is laughing on another thread that i picked williams in centre mid - centre mid is williams favoured position, where he played for us last year in the champ when we were pl;aying well and where he plays international football for wales - redrobo is either blinded by his support for bowyer or frankly a bit daft - the match predictions page needs a shake up if you ask me a
    nd a dose of reality and a step outside of the bowyer support mantra sopeople like redrobo can see the wood for the trees, if nothing else  
  • Options
    This thread is extremely depressing.

I had to be positive in my original post, I always try to be, but blimey, people saying we don't have a chance tomorrow night against a team who are 21st in the league.

Come on, I know we have been poor of late but let's be real as well.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

There is no need for that. We are all fans and have opinions. Anybody saying someone else's opinions are irrelevant is a bad look for that person. 
    and you're the arbiter are you? he can call my selection childish but i can't say his opinion is irrelevant - his opinion is a regurgitation of the footballing cliche's that are being rolled out on here and that get rolled out by our prediction guys every week - they put what they think is bowyer's likely team and in the chat, discount other options but the point is, there are massively different options available to bowyer than the path he is going dfown - such is the regurgitation that the likes of redrobo is laughing on another thread that i picked williams in centre mid - centre mid is williams favoured position, where he played for us last year in the champ when we were pl;aying well and where he plays international football for wales - redrobo is either blinded by his support for bowyer or frankly a bit daft - the match predictions page needs a shake up if you ask me a
    nd a dose of reality and a step outside of the bowyer support mantra sopeople like redrobo can see the wood for the trees, if nothing else  
    I didn't even know what an arbiter is and had to Google so clearly I'm a dumb arse and you aint. 
    Just saying all opinions are fine, we are fans of the same club. If you chose to say some are irrelevant it's your choice, but you did say earlier that you don't even read the preview/predictions from sage or FA as it's too depressing or something along them lines?
    You are your own person I am not and will never tell you what to say or do. All I'm saying is it looks bad if you ignore everybody else's opinions or views and if you want to carry on like that I respect your choice but I will in future just skim past any post you make. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

You selected Morgan and Williams as the central two midfielders. Millar right wing, Maatsen left wing, and you think I maybe a bit daft? Who is going to win the ball and protect the back four?
    Did you see the team I suggested? Do you think Bowyer will play that side? You are the one going Bowyer with Maatsen as a midfielder; but playing Millar wide right?

Thank you for the compliment that I can see the wood for the trees.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

I didn't even know what an arbiter is and had to Google so clearly I'm a dumb arse and you aint. 
    Just saying all opinions are fine, we are fans of the same club. If you chose to say some are irrelevant it's your choice, but you did say earlier that you don't even read the preview/predictions from sage or FA as it's too depressing or something along them lines?
    You are your own person I am not and will never tell you what to say or do. All I'm saying is it looks bad if you ignore everybody else's opinions or views and if you want to carry on like that I respect your choice but I will in future just skim past any post you make. 
    do what you like but i'd advise checking the context of what you are pulling somebody up on before offering advice 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    The centre mid pairing of JFC and Morgan is very weak but there aren't many options at the moment. Is Vennings injured? I thought when he made his last sub appearance he looked really bright and had come on loads since last season. Not seen him since. 
    Saw a picture of him laughing with Famewo on here about a week ago

Both were in shorts and t-shirts and looked like they were in trainers so presumed they were both under going recovery together

I liked Vennings when he played, can't be any worse than Gilbey!
  • Options

If our opponents aren't playing much football it is an advantage to them, if they are playing too much it is an advantage to them. Games in hand is a disadvantage to us! Five subs is also a disadvantage to a team like us, even though our squad is deep and we have our best players that can't play 90 minutes. It goes on. There is something not right there.
    It's called " a negative outlook " mate. You are 100% correct. Obviously we have no idea what has happened to him but Lee seems terrified of losing. Maybe when we had our backs to the wall he was in a no lose situation in that whatever the result there was all the shite to blame. Now on paper all that has gone and we should be expected to win more games than we lose. That adds pressure that he hasn't had to deal with before and I'm not sure he is dealing with it very well so is looking for reasons to fail
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington

millar
    williams
    morgan
    maarsten

chucks
    schwarz

You selected Morgan and Williams as the central two midfielders. Millar right wing, Maatsen left wing, and you think I maybe a bit daft? Who is going to win the ball and protect the back four?
    Did you see the team I suggested? Do you think Bowyer will play that side? You are the one going Bowyer with Maatsen as a midfielder; but playing Millar wide right?

Thank you for the compliment that I can see the wood for the trees.
    a lot of your post is unintelligible but i will do my best to answer  - williams and morgan, in particular, are midfield players, they are allowed to tackle -believe it or not, you do not have to have somebody sitting in front of the back four - purrington will provide more defensive cover for the centre backs than maatsen and maatsen and maatsen, as a left midfielder will be effective going both ways - i have never said don't play maatsen left mid. Do you now accept williams being centre mid is not that laughable or do you want to swop him for jfc who offers a fraction going forwards compared to williams  and not much defensively - glad i have helped you to see a bit more clearly - i won't charge, we're friends  :D
  • Options
    I have to say the Boring Bowyer bashing bandwagon on a preview thread is becoming a tad tedious but with regard to tomorrow's match, is there an alternative to Pearce?