Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January | 7pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    If he can't sort the defence out we're stuffed. It's obviously a problem with injuries but that's where we are and he has to stop us shipping so many goals.

We've conceded two goals a game in the last five games which at L1 level is pretty poor. We don't have the attacking threat to get round this.

I just hope we don't concede early.
    Hope he continues with the same defence as he did on Friday. It wasn't great, but Deji was solid, and although Pearce f*d up massively, at least he's a CB, with Matthews/Gunter on the right and Maatsen on the left. Right now that's our best option defensively
    Its a bit indulgent to keep playing Maatsen, good as he is overplaying cost us the cross into the box for Accrington second! The kid needs a break on the bench
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I hope Lee and the players make a real statement tonight (and definitely not "We don't know what we're doing").
    I want to see the team well organised, purposeful and driven.
    Let's have Chuks and Schwarz on from the start and get the cat amongst the pigeons.
    I want to be 4-0 up before Chuks game time is "managed".
    Realistically, I expect a dour, patchy performance but we will just do enough. 1-0
    Edit: Make that dour, patchy and frustrating.
    Frustrated has been my overriding emotion watching us of late
  • Options
    1-1 last second equaliser by Rochdale.  94 min. We dominate the game but blow it. 
  • Options
    OldRed51 said:
    If he can't sort the defence out we're stuffed. It's obviously a problem with injuries but that's where we are and he has to stop us shipping so many goals.

We've conceded two goals a game in the last five games which at L1 level is pretty poor. We don't have the attacking threat to get round this.

I just hope we don't concede early.
    Hope he continues with the same defence as he did on Friday. It wasn't great, but Deji was solid, and although Pearce f*d up massively, at least he's a CB, with Matthews/Gunter on the right and Maatsen on the left. Right now that's our best option defensively
    Its a bit indulgent to keep playing Maatsen, good as he is overplaying cost us the cross into the box for Accrington second! The kid needs a break on the bench
    Maatsen is not the most solid defensively which is not great in a side like ours. Just need to shore things up tonight and hope Pearce/Deji don't make any careless mistakes. 

If Rochdale have any sense they'll pile pressure on early on.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The defence has been let down a bit by the midfield recently as well as its own deficiencies. No easy out ball, fewer chances to reset etc... 
  • Options
    The defence has been let down a bit by the midfield recently as well as its own deficiencies. No easy out ball, fewer chances to reset etc... 
    If we get through the first half without conceding then I'm sure confidence will grow...
  • Options
    Talal said:
    We've tried Oshilaja in midfield before and it didn't work. 
    He can’t even play well in his proper position, playing him out of position would be suicide. 
  • Options
    As long as Bowyer is sensible with his team selection then I think we will win 3-0.  I just hope he doesn’t suffer another blow to the head just before he picks his team. No square pegs in round holes. Centre back is a massive worry for me. I don’t trust Pearce and Oshilaja when it’s just one of them playing - as a pairing they are a shambles. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we have more left-sided options now and I know we are currently a bit short on midfielders but I thought JFC looked pretty good last season at left-back (or left wing-back). Once we get a few midfielders back, I wonder whether it would be worth revisiting that as a possibilty? 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    DOUCHER said:
    no vendetta here @sage, just wanted to air my views on where bowyer and some on here are going wrong - i get shirty in response to others when they do - i don't agree with your views, you don't agree with mine - i'd sooner put out a side that has a chance of creating chances rather than one that will meekly surrender to another home defeat - you find that frightening,i find it refreshing - to keep doing the same and expecting a different outcome is the sign of madness and if we go with another typical bowyer line up, like the one's yourself and sage predict, we will get a draw if lucky.
    That’s a better response.

As said I think the majority of us can get behind a more attacking line up. But you need balance and that is what goes against yourself specific line up.

Our main weakness at the moment is not a lack of creating chances, we have created enough in the last few to score more. The main weakness is how vulnerable we are in midfield and soft at the back. The personnel you would like to see would defensively and organisationally be all over the place.

Sure it might create a few mate re chances, but they’d have to get out their half first and win the ball high enough.

Without another presence in midfield to go along with Morgan and Williams, we would get far too over run and would end up losing.

We can agree to disagree, that’s fine. Which we do. I just don’t like the way you’ve gone about it on this thread to multiple people, some of whom haven’t even engaged in your posts.

Finally, as I’ve gone against what I was going to do, that’s it now.
    That's a better response.... i'm not at school sage. Your entitled to your opinion of course but you couldn't be more wrong. 
  • Options
    Whoever he picks, he needs to stop blaming our players. Its ridiculous the amount of time he has publicly done this and feels like they are playing scared, no confidence.

As much as he has done great but i really think he has lost the plot, the amount of easier games we should have won and just performances and team selections are very inconsistent. I hope he can turn it around but those doubts are certainly rising for me. 

I think we have a good enough squad we should really be top 3, but its easier said than done. I just want to see progress really, we are better off than this time last year in a lower league so trying to stay positive and hope we find some form and turn it around. I know we had period of good form but it feels like we have gone backwards since. 

Whoever we pick need to show a bit of passion e.g Watson, get stuck in and make things happen like Jonny on a good day. 

2-0 win tonight, but hopefully its convincing 
  • Options
    My opinion for what its worth is I want Bowyer to stay and be successful. I just think he needs to adapt a bit better and if players are missing then teamwork and cohesion then it is more important than ever to know your best side. Needs someone in PR who can help him not be so blunt. You can tell players in the changing room how shit as its just those in the room hearing it. You tell the public how shit a player is and it blows up. I 100% believe he needs an experienced head to help him, Curbs would be perfect. 

He can clearly do a good job but if im honest, he seems to have had a panic about things. Charlie Barker should be in the side...talented and composed. He will never learn if he doesnt cock up. 

Anyway......1-0 Charlton, poor game but we scrape through.  Millar. 
    the only bit i like about Bowyer atm is his bluntness!!! :D
  • Options
    How fortunes have changed since we last played the Dale, we seem a different team, devoid of confidence. The defence is not protected and we leak goals. A great chance to get back in it perhaps but unlikely, 1-1.
  • Options
    Jonny Williams and Chuks Aneke have to be looked after constantly – whether that is minutes or whether they start or come on. We have to look after them.

Jonny's only started FOUR league games this season, and 5 times he was on the bench but didn't come on, there's no danger of him being overused this season...
  • Options
    Jonny Williams and Chuks Aneke have to be looked after constantly – whether that is minutes or whether they start or come on. We have to look after them.

Jonny's only started FOUR league games this season, and 5 times he was on the bench but didn't come on, there's no danger of him being overused this season...
    Yep - and he played even less in our relegation run in 
  • Options
    Live commentary on Radio London this evening. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    So far this season according to Who Scored:

Ben Amos is the top rated keeper in the league. 

Connor Washington is the 4th highest rated player when playing at home. 

Chuks Aneke is the 3rd best rated player when playing away. 

18 of our 29 goals have come from open play, only one on a counter attack (probably because of leaving one man to do it all up top on corners etc)

So ignoring this information... I want a FLAT 4-4-2 

Amos
    Gunter - Oshilaja - Pearce - Maatsen
    Matthews - Gilbey - F.Caskey - Millar
    Washington - Bogle

(Aneke & Schwartz to come on when they're good and ready) 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Charlton and Rochdale have met on 15 previous occasions with the Addicks winning 10, Dale five and the remaining three games ending in draws.

Is Diane Abbott doing our previews?

Yes, but they don't go to press before being checked by Priti Patel.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So far this season according to Who Scored:

Ben Amos is the top rated keeper in the league. 

Connor Washington is the 4th highest rated player when playing at home. 

Chuks Aneke is the 3rd best rated player when playing away. 

18 of our 29 goals have come from open play, only one on a counter attack (probably because of leaving one man to do it all up top on corners etc)

So ignoring this information... I want a FLAT 4-4-2 

Amos
    Gunter - Oshilaja - Pearce - Maatsen
    Matthews - Gilbey - F.Caskey - Millar
    Washington - Bogle

(Aneke & Schwartz to come on when they're good and ready) 
    I like this team, although would maybe swap Maatsen and Matthews ;)

Seriously though be curious to see if Bogle is involved after missing out completely on Friday - My only other change if I was to go more attacking is Smyth for Matthews
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I know it is possibly just me, but I prefer reading the post match comments and pre match reviews after we win, as there are less in fighting, and many calling each other names because they do not agree with their opinion. Just hope it can start tonight, so I can enjoy this thread again
  • Options
    Talal said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Sage said:
    DOUCHER said:
    no vendetta here @sage, just wanted to air my views on where bowyer and some on here are going wrong - i get shirty in response to others when they do - i don't agree with your views, you don't agree with mine - i'd sooner put out a side that has a chance of creating chances rather than one that will meekly surrender to another home defeat - you find that frightening,i find it refreshing - to keep doing the same and expecting a different outcome is the sign of madness and if we go with another typical bowyer line up, like the one's yourself and sage predict, we will get a draw if lucky.
    That’s a better response.

As said I think the majority of us can get behind a more attacking line up. But you need balance and that is what goes against yourself specific line up.

Our main weakness at the moment is not a lack of creating chances, we have created enough in the last few to score more. The main weakness is how vulnerable we are in midfield and soft at the back. The personnel you would like to see would defensively and organisationally be all over the place.

Sure it might create a few mate re chances, but they’d have to get out their half first and win the ball high enough.

Without another presence in midfield to go along with Morgan and Williams, we would get far too over run and would end up losing.

We can agree to disagree, that’s fine. Which we do. I just don’t like the way you’ve gone about it on this thread to multiple people, some of whom haven’t even engaged in your posts.

Finally, as I’ve gone against what I was going to do, that’s it now.
    That's a better response.... i'm not at school sage. Your entitled to your opinion of course but you couldn't be more wrong. 
    To be fair you sound like a child most the time. 
    well, they do say children tell it how it is 
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I know it is possibly just me, but I prefer reading the post match comments and pre match reviews after we win, as there are less in fighting, and many calling each other names because they do not agree with their opinion. Just hope it can start tonight, so I can enjoy this thread again
    i doubt there'll be much to enjoy on tonight's thread but we can hope 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    My opinion for what its worth is I want Bowyer to stay and be successful. I just think he needs to adapt a bit better and if players are missing then teamwork and cohesion then it is more important than ever to know your best side. Needs someone in PR who can help him not be so blunt. You can tell players in the changing room how shit as its just those in the room hearing it. You tell the public how shit a player is and it blows up. I 100% believe he needs an experienced head to help him, Curbs would be perfect. 

He can clearly do a good job but if im honest, he seems to have had a panic about things. Charlie Barker should be in the side...talented and composed. He will never learn if he doesnt cock up. 

Anyway......1-0 Charlton, poor game but we scrape through.  Millar. 
    the only bit i like about Bowyer atm is his bluntness!!! :D
    I like honesty in a manager about a players performance but there are ways of doing it & he hasnt got that nack. 

To say you dont care if there injured is mental. 
  • Options

I would love to know what % of minutes Williams played, when fit, in his first year compared to his second year.

Before he got, seriously, injured last autumn he seemed to start almost every Saturday game.  I don't think he has started 10 in the last year. 
  • Options
    Seeing as though everyone is fearing the worst, we expect another debacle, and CAFC are 4/5 at the bookies to win, and Rochdale a very generous 7/2, I can virtually guarantee that (god knows how, but) we will get at least a point this evening! Lump on Rochdale to make sure!!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I would love to know what % of minutes Williams played, when fit, in his first year compared to his second year.

Before he got, seriously, injured last autumn he seemed to start almost every Saturday game.  I don't think he has started 10 in the last year. 
    Last season Williams played 1088 minutes from kick off and 409 minutes from the bench. This season so far 281 minutes from kick off and 335 minutes from the bench. How fit he was I have no idea.

I'll let you do the sums.