Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager, realistic options

Comments

• Options
    I’ve had a few days to think about it. I’m backing Bowyer, he deserves this season and this window. He has made some poor decisions like Curbishley made keeping Euell on the bench , or Powell made not playing BWP. I’m backing Bowyer.
  • Options
    Disappointed that this has not been posted yet.

Why Michael Appleton is the perfect coach to lead the Under 21s   thisisfutbolcom

Yeah......funny that his team is AT THE TOP OF THE TABLE  !!!
  • Options
    I’ve said this a few times before that the manager / head coach or whatever is the most important appointment in the club. For various ownership reasons Charlton’s appointment history has mostly been one of expediency and cheapness as opposed to head hunting and pushing the boat out. I’d much rather that should we be looking for a new manager and I’m not saying that we should at this point, then spend big on getting a man in with a big and proven track record and I mean one that’s got a history of a few promotions behind him. Not someone who has been knocking around for years jumping on and off the manager merry go round with intermittent success between getting the sack. Not easy I know but offer the right package and promises and I think someone who wouldn’t normally touch us might be interested. I think Sandgaards enthusiasm and genuine ambition might be the key. Nothing against Johnny Jackson or Jason Euell but if our ambition is to eventually get back to the top flight as a bare minimum then who gets the gig is more important as any other aspect of our journey. 
  • Options
    I wonder if we might see a left field Scandinavian appointment . Thomas did say in that interview with a Danish newspaper that he'd spoken a lot with Rasmus Ankersen the Brentford director of football. 
  • Options
    Sandgaard has also commented heavily about the type of football he likes to see. He won’t be liking this one bit. The football is as bad as I’ve known it for a long time. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    se9addick said:
    This thread is really bad taste, we have a manager who as far as we are concerned has the job for the long run. Why would a thread be open discussing who are next manager will be? 

Some of us are moaning that he is openly criticising players yet are happy to discuss a man's career on an open forum? Genuinely getting wound up now, he deserves a lot better than a thread like this.

Showing some real s**t stained colours at the moment we are, seeing it on twitter as well. 
    In your opinion
    Which should be by far and away the majority opinion. I am a proud Charlton fan and pride myself on how level headed our fans are. This thread derails that completely. 

Imagine Lee coming on the forum and seeing this s**t. Critique his management in a post match thread whatever, make a thread implying he should be sacked, disgusting.

The thread should be removed. It's bang out of order 
    Yet LB seems to think criticising a player in very strong terms on the media is fine?  He can dish it out I am sure he will have no problem with this.
    I am 100% confident if he saw a thread made about him and the general consensus on that particular thread was that he should be replaced he would be sickened. 

I'll say it again, if we were winning no one would give a crap what he says to the press. It's being used to push an agenda.

When he openly called Steve Evans a fat bloke we laughed and agreed with him, I imagine if he did that now it would be posts of 'oh look now he's venting at other managers cause he's losing' 'he might be fat Lee but at least he can get his team playing' 

It's genuinely pathetic 

Before someone tries being smart and saying Evans isn't Charlton I am perfectly aware, the point is we don't care what he does or says when he's winning 
    Football fans speculate about managers getting sacked all the time and, if the axe gets swung, then the manager gets their contract paid up and they jump back on the merry go round when the next opportunity comes up. 

By contrast I don’t think I’ve ever heard a manager say they don’t care if one of their players has sustained a serious injury. You can say “we all knew” that Maddison wasn’t seriously injured (I didn’t know that by the way) but if it was that obvious Bowyer could have answered in that manner rather than saying he didn’t care. 

I find his post-match tantrums, lack of ability to motivate and tactical limitations rather more “pathetic” than Charlton fans doing what football fans all over the world have done since football fans existed. 
    Just because something has happened traditionally, doesn't mean it isn't pathetic and doesn't need to change. Let's not dive in to that hole though.

Having a discussion about your current managers career on an open forum is classless, no matter what way people can try and dress it up. What happened to 'Don't care what league we're in, I just want our Charlton back!' it's the most fickle thing I've ever seen and I thought we were better than that. Turns out we are no different from the average Man U fan. When did Sandgaard take the reigns, just over 3 months ago or so? Already shouts for our manager to be gone despite the popular view being Bowyer will take us to the prem. Mini glory hunters. 

I'm patient and happy to see us grow organically, like most people claimed they wanted not too long ago. 

We did know, I'll say it again, if the injury was genuinely that bad he never would have made that comment. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    se9addick said:
    This thread is really bad taste, we have a manager who as far as we are concerned has the job for the long run. Why would a thread be open discussing who are next manager will be? 

Some of us are moaning that he is openly criticising players yet are happy to discuss a man's career on an open forum? Genuinely getting wound up now, he deserves a lot better than a thread like this.

Showing some real s**t stained colours at the moment we are, seeing it on twitter as well. 
    In your opinion
    Which should be by far and away the majority opinion. I am a proud Charlton fan and pride myself on how level headed our fans are. This thread derails that completely. 

Imagine Lee coming on the forum and seeing this s**t. Critique his management in a post match thread whatever, make a thread implying he should be sacked, disgusting.

Yet LB seems to think criticising a player in very strong terms on the media is fine?  He can dish it out I am sure he will have no problem with this.
    I am 100% confident if he saw a thread made about him and the general consensus on that particular thread was that he should be replaced he would be sickened. 

I'll say it again, if we were winning no one would give a crap what he says to the press. It's being used to push an agenda.

When he openly called Steve Evans a fat bloke we laughed and agreed with him, I imagine if he did that now it would be posts of 'oh look now he's venting at other managers cause he's losing' 'he might be fat Lee but at least he can get his team playing' 

It's genuinely pathetic 

Before someone tries being smart and saying Evans isn't Charlton I am perfectly aware, the point is we don't care what he does or says when he's winning 
    Football fans speculate about managers getting sacked all the time and, if the axe gets swung, then the manager gets their contract paid up and they jump back on the merry go round when the next opportunity comes up. 

By contrast I don’t think I’ve ever heard a manager say they don’t care if one of their players has sustained a serious injury. You can say “we all knew” that Maddison wasn’t seriously injured (I didn’t know that by the way) but if it was that obvious Bowyer could have answered in that manner rather than saying he didn’t care. 

I find his post-match tantrums, lack of ability to motivate and tactical limitations rather more “pathetic” than Charlton fans doing what football fans all over the world have done since football fans existed. 
    Just because something has happened traditionally, doesn't mean it isn't pathetic and doesn't need to change. Let's not dive in to that hole though.

Having a discussion about your current managers career on an open forum is classless, no matter what way people can try and dress it up. What happened to 'Don't care what league we're in, I just want our Charlton back!' it's the most fickle thing I've ever seen and I thought we were better than that. Turns out we are no different from the average Man U fan. When did Sandgaard take the reigns, just over 3 months ago or so? Already shouts for our manager to be gone despite the popular view being Bowyer will take us to the prem. Mini glory hunters. 

I'm patient and happy to see us grow organically, like most people claimed they wanted not too long ago. 

We did know, I'll say it again, if the injury was genuinely that bad he never would have made that comment. 
    Can’t subscribe to this frankly. For the record at this point I want Bowyer given until at least the end of the season. I hope and think he’ll turn it around. That’s where I’m coming from but to suggest that there isn’t a single Charlton fan that given our recent (prolonged ?) run of poor form and recent comments by the manager, hasn’t given a thought to what might happen if he’s sacked, should be sacked or indeed resigns then I’m not having it. We’re fans and we’re right and more importantly have the right to speculate.  

As for your last sentence. Regardless of what Bowyer knew or didn’t know it was actually outrageous and to use your vocabulary “classless”. and completely unhelpful. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

In your opinion

It's genuinely pathetic 

Can’t subscribe to this frankly. For the record at this point I want Bowyer given until at least the end of the season. I hope and think he’ll turn it around. That’s where I’m coming from but to suggest that there isn’t a single Charlton fan that given our recent (prolonged ?) run of poor form and recent comments by the manager, hasn’t given a thought to what might happen if he’s sacked, should be sacked or indeed resigns then I’m not having it. We’re fans and we’re right and more importantly have the right to speculate.  

As for your last sentence. Regardless of what Bowyer knew or didn’t know it was actually outrageous and to use your vocabulary “classless”. and completely unhelpful. 
    Thinking something in your own head and acting it out are two very different things. It would only be natural to wonder about your managers future after some bad results whether it's you wanting a change or worrying there will be, the thoughts will still be there. Of course we have the right, I just imagine the thought of a manager who has always spoke well of us and been genuine, reading this forums posts and the thought genuinely turns my stomach a bit. 

Hmm, guess you could say that in regards to your second part but it can be flipped in other ways as well. It's been posted on another thread though that Maddison seems fine, so if Maddison is fine why are we up in arms about it? 

It's also the general view judging by twitter that his comments are fine, the only people who have an issue are Charlton fans which again I believe is being used to push an agenda.

Sorry to keep repeating myself trying not to be an owl but I also don't want to not reply as it feels ignorant 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

In your opinion

It's genuinely pathetic 

Thinking something in your own head and acting it out are two very different things. It would only be natural to wonder about your managers future after some bad results whether it's you wanting a change or worrying there will be, the thoughts will still be there. Of course we have the right, I just imagine the thought of a manager who has always spoke well of us and been genuine, reading this forums posts and the thought genuinely turns my stomach a bit. 

Hmm, guess you could say that in regards to your second part but it can be flipped in other ways as well. It's been posted on another thread though that Maddison seems fine, so if Maddison is fine why are we up in arms about it? 

It's also the general view judging by twitter that his comments are fine, the only people who have an issue are Charlton fans which again I believe is being used to push an agenda.

Sorry to keep repeating myself trying not to be an owl but I also don't want to not reply as it feels ignorant 
    That’s a joke right ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Cook
    Powell
    Curbs
    Gus Poyet
    Danny Cowley
    Mick McCarthy

Have you gone sensible answer, joke, sensible, joke, repeat?
    Haha no, I’ve just thrown some out of work managers into the mix really. I wouldn’t say any of them are particularly unrealistic though? Other than possibly Curbs If he has no interest in returning to management. 

Cook= Experience getting promotion.

Powell= Club legend, proven getting Promotion. 

Poyet= A more random suggestion but got Brighton promoted from league 1 playing very good attractive football. 

Cowley= Out of work, did a very good job with Lincoln. 

McCarthy= out of work, experienced and if I’m not mistaken lives or has got a house in the Bromley area. 
    Cook or Crowley out of that list.

I was in the bowyer stay camp until I heard his interview but the Maddison and Williams comments lost me.

Yet Pearce or maatsen don’t  get thrown under the bus for their performances 
    Pearce did
  • Options
    se9addick said:

In your opinion

It's genuinely pathetic 

That’s a joke right ? 
    No? He's not injured as far as we know and he's ok with Lee? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

In your opinion

It's genuinely pathetic 

That’s a joke right ? 
    No? He's not injured as far as we know and he's ok with Lee? 
    No chance "he's ok with Lee" IMO. I don't think we'll see Bowyer pick Maddison again. 
  • Options
    Disappointed that this has not been posted yet.

Why Michael Appleton is the perfect coach to lead the Under 21s   thisisfutbolcom

Yeah......funny that his team is AT THE TOP OF THE TABLE  !!!
    Yup.  The Lincoln City that so many on here were holding up as the epitome of L1 dross earlier in the season.
  • Options
    No idea how I just did that
  • Options
    Inception
  • Options
    Bowyer has had a very difficult year without any time to recuperate, poor bloke must me knackered and needs help to see the season through.
    My suggestion is use Curbs on a part time basis to give Bowyer support.
  • Options
    Bowyer has had a very difficult year without any time to recuperate, poor bloke must me knackered and needs help to see the season through.
    I think if your resorting to bringing someone else in then you are acknowledging the problem but just can’t bring yourself to say what the real solution is.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think if your resorting to bringing someone else in then you are acknowledging the problem but just can’t bring yourself to say what the real solution is.
    Yup. Let’s all just shut up and support our manager and team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Cowley, Cook or Ainsworth?
    If and when it's time for Bowyer to ply his unique man-management and tactical awareness skills elsewhere, I'd take Ainsworth all day long.

Ridiculous what he has done at Wycombe. 
  • Options
    LOL at those who even think for a second Howe would consider Charlton. Which is why I now want Lee to stay longer. I realize a lot of people are off their rocker.
  • Options
    LOL at those who even think for a second Howe would consider Charlton. Which is why I now want Lee to stay longer. I realize a lot of people are off their rocker.
    Sorry mate. England/English based forum. It's 'realise'. None of your American 'donut', 'aluminum', nonsense please!  ;)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:
    Ok, will do. As long as you don't mind finishing outside the top 6 because the manager insists on playing right backs at left back, left backs on the right of midfield & refusing to play our 2 most creative players whilst filling the team full of defensive midfielders. 

In the meantime I will support the TEAM not the manager. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:
    Ok, will do. As long as you don't mind finishing outside the top 6 because the manager insists on playing right backs at left back, left backs on the right of midfield & refusing to play our 2 most creative players whilst filling the team full of defensive midfielders. 

Williams and Maddison! 😂
  • Options
    Out of interest, how long would you give this new manager in League One before you’re hounding them out? 1 season, 2 seasons, more? 

Surely they have to win promotion at the first attempt if you’re not even willing to give Bowyer to the end of this season. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:

Williams and Maddison! 😂

You may laugh at the thought of Williams and Maddison being our most creative players but the fact remains that they are. They may not be to your liking but they’re what we’ve got. Who else is going to do things that are a little bit different? Or are you happy just to have the ball lumped forward to Aneke, Schwartz or Washington and hope for the best?
  • Options
    Come home Pards  :):)
  • Options
    Curbs has really impressed me on VP.
    He looks well, relaxed, and is still young enough to get back into management.
    It's also obvious that the club is still very much in his heart.
    He may have been out of management for a long time, but by being a regular TV pundit and observer, he has kept very much up to date with the modern game.
    He'd be the obvious choice for me.
    Eddie Howe would be great, but he'd have far more attractive options to pick from, than us.