Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager, realistic options

Comments

• Options
    I don't feel this thread is in bad taste.

I actually think it's quite good because it asks for sensible realistic options if LB does go.

The word realistic is very apt because there is not a lot of choice out there and I doubt we can afford to pay silly money for someone really good.

So do you take a chance say on someone like Curbs or stick with LB?? 

I have said previously I never wanted LB to be humiliated/sacked as I loved him as a player.... But the simple fact for me is that yesterday he went too far with his comments and let's be honest it wasn't his first time! 

LB has gone as far as he can and should go.

It's just my opinion nothing else and it's what makes Charlton life so good to read and contribute to. 

• Options
    This thread is really bad taste, we have a manager who as far as we are concerned has the job for the long run. Why would a thread be open discussing who are next manager will be? 

Some of us are moaning that he is openly criticising players yet are happy to discuss a man's career on an open forum? Genuinely getting wound up now, he deserves a lot better than a thread like this.

Showing some real s**t stained colours at the moment we are, seeing it on twitter as well. 
    In your opinion
    Which should be by far and away the majority opinion. I am a proud Charlton fan and pride myself on how level headed our fans are. This thread derails that completely. 

Imagine Lee coming on the forum and seeing this s**t. Critique his management in a post match thread whatever, make a thread implying he should be sacked, disgusting.

The thread should be removed. It's bang out of order 
    Yet LB seems to think criticising a player in very strong terms on the media is fine?  He can dish it out I am sure he will have no problem with this.
    I am 100% confident if he saw a thread made about him and the general consensus was that he should be replaced he would be sickened. 

I'll say it again, if we were winning no one would give a crap what he says to the press. It's being used to push an agenda.

When he openly called Steve Evans a fat bloke we laughed and agreed with him, I imagine if he did that now it would be posts of 'oh look now he's venting at other managers cause he's losing' 'he might be fat Lee but at least he can get his team playing' 

It's genuinely pathetic 

Before someone tries being smart and saying Evans isn't Charlton I am perfectly aware, the point is we don't care what he does or says when he's winning 
    Disagree. Personally I would still be angry with Bowyer's comment about Maddison last night even if we had won. Also don't think it's fair to say about pushing an agenda because I am 99% sure Bowyer wouldn't have said it had we won. So that's surely hypocritical. 
    I wouldn't, I'm not bothered now. Maddison rolled his ankle, it was never gonna be that serious and Bowyer said it in frustration. 

I believe he would have, he has been critical when we have won in the past and when he has people have praised him for not accepting mediocrity. He clearly doesn't like Maddison, I think he realises he made a mistake in signing him 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Baggy behaviour 
    Agreed. Incredibly disrespectful.

"No loyalty in football" they whine. It seems not.

If I could be bothered to look it up I wonder how many of the people on this thread who are so ready to completely write off our current manager were also slagging off the likes of Taylor, Grant, Doughty, etc, for wanting to move on.

It's at times like these I realise that I don't think I have very much in common with the modern day football "fan", which unfortunately includes a large chunk of our own fan base - totally spoilt and entitled by the "product" of the Premier League, Champions League, Sky Sports and everyone thinking their a fucking tactical genius because they are good on FIFA.

Goodnight.

Well you've judged that wrong. If you'd put up a clip of a bloke shaking his head, shrugging his shoulders and trudging off into the distance that would've been more like it.
  • Options
    This thread is really bad taste, we have a manager who as far as we are concerned has the job for the long run. Why would a thread be open discussing who are next manager will be? 

Some of us are moaning that he is openly criticising players yet are happy to discuss a man's career on an open forum? Genuinely getting wound up now, he deserves a lot better than a thread like this.

Showing some real s**t stained colours at the moment we are, seeing it on twitter as well. 
    In your opinion
    Which should be by far and away the majority opinion. I am a proud Charlton fan and pride myself on how level headed our fans are. This thread derails that completely. 

Imagine Lee coming on the forum and seeing this s**t. Critique his management in a post match thread whatever, make a thread implying he should be sacked, disgusting.

In fairness I wouldn't personally have started it. I don't quite feel it's "disgusting", but yes it is bad taste. Although not quite sure what the difference is stating he should be sacked on the post match thread to on this one. 
    It is disgusting imo, I am guilty of a knee jerk post towards Bowyer saying we play boring and wouldn't be that upset if we had a new manager, which I'll admit was a terrible post by me and it was in the moment. I've reflected and it's not acceptable, we wouldn't be this comfortable discussing his career infront of him so I don't see why we should be here. 

I've realised how big club entitlement it all is and it's just got to me a bit today. He deserves better than his supporters making a pre emptive sacking thread about him 
    I agree with you there, although I think that is the minority. I think the majority are perfectly entitled to discuss their opinions and are doing so fairly. 

Fair point about discussing his career, but personally if I had 10 minutes with Bowyer I'd feel very comfortable saying that I don't think his public humiliation of players is fair and that I feel he has become too negative. 

I actually feel you're being hard on yourself. I don't think what you said was that bad at all, we are playing boring and there's no shame in making comments heat of the moment. 

Put it this way, if Fraeye, Luzon or even Robinson had done what Bowyer has been doing recently they would be getting pelters. Robinson still gets pelters because of his insistence on playing the same formation and talking too much. Bowyer is getting an easy time from quite a few IMO. 
    I agree I don't think it's fair, I called it out early doors that it wasn't ideal what he is doing, BUT it is undeniable it is being used as fuel now, it's not as bad to be made out and sorry to be a parrot but if we were winning we would be calling whichever player Bowyer was critisicing a toxic player for the club. 

As for comfortability in speaking to Bowyer I don't think people would have trouble, I do however believe if Lee directly heard our thoughts we would be far less gung ho, it's just all a bit keyboard warrior to me and it's something I didn't see us as 

Appreciate you don't think it's that bad but I am genuinely embarrassed by my post reading it back. We have been playing boring yes and I don't like seeing it but saying I am not against seeing a manager go is everything wrong with modern football. 

I agree they would but that's for seperate reasons, they managers seen as forced upon us (Fraeye and Luzon) Robbo was unfortunate imo. Good eye for a player and wanted to play football the right way, just didn't know how to shake it up when he needed to, I feel like Bowyer is going through the same motions but can turn it around 
    You can look at it both ways though. Yes I do partially agree it's being used as fuel. But you could also argue Bowyer is only doing it when we lose. Over the last 6 weeks or so I don't remember him criticising players after Wimbledon or Ipswich. So whilst our fans are overreacting when he does it after a defeat, Bowyer is doing exactly the same. 
  • Options

In your opinion

Yet LB seems to think criticising a player in very strong terms on the media is fine?  He can dish it out I am sure he will have no problem with this.
    I am 100% confident if he saw a thread made about him and the general consensus was that he should be replaced he would be sickened. 

I'll say it again, if we were winning no one would give a crap what he says to the press. It's being used to push an agenda.

When he openly called Steve Evans a fat bloke we laughed and agreed with him, I imagine if he did that now it would be posts of 'oh look now he's venting at other managers cause he's losing' 'he might be fat Lee but at least he can get his team playing' 

It's genuinely pathetic 

Before someone tries being smart and saying Evans isn't Charlton I am perfectly aware, the point is we don't care what he does or says when he's winning 
    Disagree. Personally I would still be angry with Bowyer's comment about Maddison last night even if we had won. Also don't think it's fair to say about pushing an agenda because I am 99% sure Bowyer wouldn't have said it had we won. So that's surely hypocritical. 
    I wouldn't, I'm not bothered now. Maddison rolled his ankle, it was never gonna be that serious and Bowyer said it in frustration. 

I believe he would have, he has been critical when we have won in the past and when he has people have praised him for not accepting mediocrity. He clearly doesn't like Maddison, I think he realises he made a mistake in signing him 
    Agreed on his relationship with him. We all know Maddison is good on the ball and I think Bowyer thought he could get him working hard for the team and make him even better. Rightly or wrongly, Maddison isn't that type of player and doesn't seem to want to become it either. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021

In your opinion

In fairness I wouldn't personally have started it. I don't quite feel it's "disgusting", but yes it is bad taste. Although not quite sure what the difference is stating he should be sacked on the post match thread to on this one. 
    It is disgusting imo, I am guilty of a knee jerk post towards Bowyer saying we play boring and wouldn't be that upset if we had a new manager, which I'll admit was a terrible post by me and it was in the moment. I've reflected and it's not acceptable, we wouldn't be this comfortable discussing his career infront of him so I don't see why we should be here. 

I've realised how big club entitlement it all is and it's just got to me a bit today. He deserves better than his supporters making a pre emptive sacking thread about him 
    I agree with you there, although I think that is the minority. I think the majority are perfectly entitled to discuss their opinions and are doing so fairly. 

Fair point about discussing his career, but personally if I had 10 minutes with Bowyer I'd feel very comfortable saying that I don't think his public humiliation of players is fair and that I feel he has become too negative. 

I actually feel you're being hard on yourself. I don't think what you said was that bad at all, we are playing boring and there's no shame in making comments heat of the moment. 

Put it this way, if Fraeye, Luzon or even Robinson had done what Bowyer has been doing recently they would be getting pelters. Robinson still gets pelters because of his insistence on playing the same formation and talking too much. Bowyer is getting an easy time from quite a few IMO. 
    I agree I don't think it's fair, I called it out early doors that it wasn't ideal what he is doing, BUT it is undeniable it is being used as fuel now, it's not as bad to be made out and sorry to be a parrot but if we were winning we would be calling whichever player Bowyer was critisicing a toxic player for the club. 

As for comfortability in speaking to Bowyer I don't think people would have trouble, I do however believe if Lee directly heard our thoughts we would be far less gung ho, it's just all a bit keyboard warrior to me and it's something I didn't see us as 

Appreciate you don't think it's that bad but I am genuinely embarrassed by my post reading it back. We have been playing boring yes and I don't like seeing it but saying I am not against seeing a manager go is everything wrong with modern football. 

I agree they would but that's for seperate reasons, they managers seen as forced upon us (Fraeye and Luzon) Robbo was unfortunate imo. Good eye for a player and wanted to play football the right way, just didn't know how to shake it up when he needed to, I feel like Bowyer is going through the same motions but can turn it around 
    You can look at it both ways though. Yes I do partially agree it's being used as fuel. But you could also argue Bowyer is only doing it when we lose. Over the last 6 weeks or so I don't remember him criticising players after Wimbledon or Ipswich. So whilst our fans are overreacting when he does it after a defeat, Bowyer is doing exactly the same. 
    Yeah fairs. I still stand by he has always been a bit of a mishog though so his comments are hardly surprising.

I suspect he just feels maybe a bit panicked, he can't just keep saying the game went against us as he will come across ridiculous, might be way of trying to get the fans on his side, I don't know. 

But yeah you make some fair points, I think I'll stop now anyway, all I'm doing is keeping a thread active/bumped I don't agree with and going round in circles. 

Appreciate you challenging my posts with logic, but I still think the thread is pre emptive and not fair. 

Have a good weekend mate 
  • Options
    Can’t believe this posting sack a hero over a dip in form allied to both centre back being injured in Bows we trust 
  • Options

In your opinion

Yeah fairs. I still stand by he has always been a bit of a mishog though so his comments are hardly surprising.

I suspect he just feels maybe a bit panicked, he can't just keep saying the game went against us as he will come across ridiculous, might be way of trying to get the fans on his side, I don't know. 

But yeah you make some fair points, I think I'll stop now anyway, all I'm doing is keeping a thread active/bumped I don't agree and going round in circles. 

Appreciate you challenging my posts with logic, but I still think the thread is pre emptive and not fair. 

Have a good weekend mate 
    Overall, I think you are probably just about right on that. Have a good one yourself, let's hope Sunday is a calmer day as we all start to get over last night!
  • Options

In your opinion

I am 100% confident if he saw a thread made about him and the general consensus on that particular thread was that he should be replaced he would be sickened. 

It's genuinely pathetic 

I don't care if he is sickened or not.  
  • Options

In your opinion

Massive difference though isn’t there. Bowyer is the face of the club and charged with getting a promotion by the owner. If Bowyer genuinely thinks that his slagging off players in public is the best way to turn around our fortunes then fair play but I’m willing to bet it’s doing the exact opposite. That’s not what he’s paid for. It’s getting the best out of whatever he has available. If he isn’t smart enough to realise his responsibilities and when it’s best to keep his mouth shut then he’s got no future in football which is a shame because we know he has a lot to offer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In your opinion

Massive difference though isn’t there. Bowyer is the face of the club and charged with getting a promotion by the owner. If Bowyer genuinely thinks that his slagging off players in public is the best way to turn around our fortunes then fair play but I’m willing to bet it’s doing the exact opposite. That’s not what he’s paid for. It’s getting the best out of whatever he has available. If he isn’t smart enough to realise his responsibilities and when it’s best to keep his mouth shut then he’s got no future in football which is a shame because we know he has a lot to offer. 
    Ah I absolutely agree, I wasn't defending Bowyer on doing it, in fact quite the opposite. 
  • Options
    Thread us way too early. 
  • Options
    Innis back, shwartz and the winger gelled in, watson and prats and we can make a surge toward the end of the season 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Innis back, shwartz and the winger gelled in, watson and prats and we can make a surge toward the end of the season 
    Think Inniss back on his own wont be enough... Think we need both him and Famewo back there - Felt like one of them was the enforcer (Inniss) whereas Famewo (not quite on Sarr's level) can pick a pass meaning when the ball was played out from the back, it wasnt rushed or panicked
  • Options
    Bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but in future at some point when we are a bit deeper in TS's five year plan I can see us going for Thomas Franks if ever becomes available. It may seem highly unlikely atm but the Danish links and must already live in London I would not a complete outside bet. 
  • Options
    This is a message board for Charlton fans to discuss the club, it would be bizarre if discussing Bowyer's position was somehow forbidden, any more than discussing players, coaches, or the ticket office was forbidden. Maybe we shouldn't criticise Pearce for his ropey display yesterday in case he's upset by it, after all he's been here longer than Bowyer...

Out of interest, who is saying that discussing Bowyers position is forbidden? Is that on another thread somewhere?
  • Options
    Just as a side point , does the managers wages count towards the salary cap?
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Just as a side point , does the managers wages count towards the salary cap?
    Going down the player manager role? Is Rooney now available?

100% behind Bows. Thought his comments were spot on. I also thought his tactics were spot on. I mentioned that Ipswich gave them a good hiding by playing into the gaps behind the backs and by playing on the shoulder. Thought we did the same. Created enough chances even though we left playing catch up by a horrendous cock up.

Everyone is calling out Bows and that is what happens in football. Referees have errors shown in slow motion over and over again and from every angle. Same should and does apply to players. It is analysed to death. Lots have been calling for Williams and Maddison to start. They were cack. Nobody needed Bows to point it out, but personally, I am glad he did.
  • Options
    Paul Cook
    Powell
    Curbs
    Gus Poyet
    Danny Cowley
    Mick McCarthy

Have you gone sensible answer, joke, sensible, joke, repeat?
    Haha no, I’ve just thrown some out of work managers into the mix really. I wouldn’t say any of them are particularly unrealistic though? Other than possibly Curbs If he has no interest in returning to management. 

Cook= Experience getting promotion.

Powell= Club legend, proven getting Promotion. 

Poyet= A more random suggestion but got Brighton promoted from league 1 playing very good attractive football. 

Cowley= Out of work, did a very good job with Lincoln. 

McCarthy= out of work, experienced and if I’m not mistaken lives or has got a house in the Bromley area. 
    Cook or Crowley out of that list.

I was in the bowyer stay camp until I heard his interview but the Maddison and Williams comments lost me.

Yet Pearce or maatsen don’t  get thrown under the bus for their performances 
    I think referring to 'Hackney Marshes' when discussing 'the centre half and goalkeeper' was clear enough personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like Neil Harris could be available soon
  • Options
    Looks like Neil Harris could be available soon
    Shoe in

Keith Harris ventriloquist - Wikipedia
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but in future at some point when we are a bit deeper in TS's five year plan I can see us going for Thomas Franks if ever becomes available. It may seem highly unlikely atm but the Danish links and must already live in London I would not a complete outside bet. 
    How about this fella 😉;

• Options
    I was open to getting in someone new. Maybe Jacko. But after reading all the responses here and considering the options mentioned, I am now for keeping Lee. The options seem neither "proven" nor better. Wake me up if we get within 6 points of the drop zone.
  • Options
    Really??? After what he has done for our club over the last 3 shit years you want to out him over a dip in form??? FFS

Apart from a 6 game run, it’s been awful for about a year now.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    Callumcafc said:
    Pissing myself at the suggestion of Eddie Howe. He will end up at Brighton/Palace/Fulham if he sits on his hands long enough. Even a third stint at Bournemouth. But yeah, he's definitely going to drop to the third tier to manage a team that has Jason Pearce and Deji Oshilaja at centre back with Jake Forster-Caskey and Albie Morgan in midfield.

Palace it is then. 
    The Ultras sit on their hands a lot to make them go numb.

Eddie Howe would be sensible enough to realise that we have more potential than those other clubs you've mentioned. Potential that can be fulfilled if TS's plan really is convincing enough and pays the salary he demands.

• Options
    Callumcafc said:
    Pissing myself at the suggestion of Eddie Howe. He will end up at Brighton/Palace/Fulham if he sits on his hands long enough. Even a third stint at Bournemouth. But yeah, he's definitely going to drop to the third tier to manage a team that has Jason Pearce and Deji Oshilaja at centre back with Jake Forster-Caskey and Albie Morgan in midfield.

Palace it is then. 
    The Ultras sit on their hands a lot to make them go numb.

Eddie Howe would be sensible enough to realise that we have more potential than those other clubs you've mentioned. Potential that can be fulfilled if TS's plan really is convincing enough and pays the salary he demands.

Good post, exactly what I said a few page’s back. TS walks the walk and talks the talk, if LB does go now would be the time to spend and get a quality manager in.