Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton v Accrington | Fri 8 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    What does Maatsen offer? Being our left-back throughout our good run and a generally good performer, maybe? He was defending well one-on-one today. Lost it in a bad spot for the 2nd goal when he should have headed it clear but we still didn't defend it well thereafter. He then did a bit of a headless chicken act, but he never hides and he has no little ability. Insane to make him one of the scapegoats compared to some of the dross we had out thee today. He showed a real understanding with Millar too.
    Come on, Leuth; who do you want to be playing there ?
  • Options
    Weak, turgid display with a lack of self-belief and urgency. Things need to improve. 

Some of those players really haven’t worked out have they - Gunter looks very, very average, Gilbey looks very poor, immobile and slow to get the ball out from under his feet and Maatsen is quick but seems to be playing the game at a different pace to the rest of the team. We don’t hold the ball well, and that’s what we did under Bowyer when he started with us. Fitness levels don’t look great - Maddison now injured but didn’t even nearly look fit when he came on, Albie was fairly immobile there in that match and Smith goes to ground so easily. Not looking good, but having said that - we put the squad together in double quick time at the end of the summer, we nearly didn’t have a CLUB AT ALL and Schwartz has only been with us a few days - let him get fit first. 

Still trust Bowyer 100%, despite it not being what people want to hear on here. Fans are fickle in football and we need stability after a shitshow of a couple of years.  
  • Options
    Well we went more attacking and the first half we were in  it but the final ball is totally missing to be able to score. Weve signed a accurate striker, but if we cant set him up how does he convert?! 

Criminal defending for the first, dirty touch for their second. Hope Purrington plays instead of Maatsen nexts time.

The team looked frustrated, poor body language. Youd think wed had 3 weeks off n were rusty not them. They looked a proper team, Bishop was doing whatever he wanted by the end.

V worrying. Not sure where to go from her
  • Options
    Accrington were FULL of running, strong,good passing and movement, great goalkeeper , HUNGRY, confident in fact everything in bucket loads.
     We were ...............???????
  • Options
    Absolute shit. Looking over our shoulders for the rest of the season. Hope to survive, as that's all we can hope for with Bowyer. I'm not sure what's gone wrong with him?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I’m starting to think Bowyer was the right man at a bad time, but he isn’t the right man at this time. 
    Really, who else will be better?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Bowyer”s time is up. He started believing the hype when he got us up. In reality he’s an inexperienced manager who doesn’t know how to turn this around and is tactically inept with no man management skills. You can see that in the player performances and body language. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The Good: Millar made a good start (he'll soon be Charltonised though).
    The Bad: Defending, shooting, doing anything creative, wanting to win, showing an effort, letting the ball bounce, and still week after week passing the ball behind a running man.
    The Ugly: Everything else.
  • Options
    Did Scott Minto get replaced on Sky by Kirstie Allsopp?
  • Options
    Total dog shit

I’m gonna now tuck into a bottle of Rioja

TS surely thinking of a new manager and coaching staff - how on earth do we lose to fucking Accrington Stanley - total joke

Evening all !!!
  • Options
    One thankful thing was that Millar wasn't playing for them as it'd have been a fkin cricket score. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Reminded me of the feeling I had after we lost away at Dagenham & Redbridge in 2011. Plenty of people wanted Powell sacked after that game.

Wonder if it ten years time we'll look back at tonight's starting eleven and think of them in the same conversation as Llera, Fry, Semedo, McCormack, Parrett and Nouble...
    No because most of them were shit, had always been shit and would never not be shit.  Every single current Charlton player is a good league 1 player. They aren't showing. That is down to either ALL of them or the manager. 

Powell had the ability to motivate the players, bowyer clearly doesn’t.

powell was in his first few months of management , whilst bowyer is still inexperienced he has multiple seasons on powell! 

Powell had, in the end, players fighting for him and allowed himself to be proved wrong (or educated) whilst it seems bowyer doesnt
  • Options
    Nothing to add that I havent been saying for a few weeks now

Individuals keep costing us... Bowyer cant and shouldnt have be making every single decision for them

Every week its Bowyer should be doing this, should be doing that

Managers get sacked, players continue on as though they've done fuck all wrong when they need to take a large amout of responsibility
    Players fucked up today big time.
    But when I seen the starting line up I saw Charlton 0.
    That has to change. 
  • Options
    Nothing to add that I havent been saying for a few weeks now

Individuals keep costing us... Bowyer cant and shouldnt have be making every single decision for them

Every week its Bowyer should be doing this, should be doing that

Managers get sacked, players continue on as though they've done fuck all wrong when they need to take a large amout of responsibility
    I partially agree. Generally I like Bowyer and I feel sorry for him because the silly mistakes are costing us. 

But can you genuinely say the man is getting much right? I have no idea what we actually train to do but he’s either useless or the players are ignoring him. Either way that’s a huge problem. I am starting to believe he’s lost the dressing room as they look disinterested, I’m not sure there’s any coming back from that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have watched every game this season and I honestly couldn’t tell you what our footballing style or strategy is and unfortunately there is only one person to blame for that.

I'm not bowyer out just yet as he had a lot of credit in the bank but I’m not far off now.

pick your best team every week and try to beat what is in front of you.
  • Options
    rubbish - bowyer has to go - nobody could do worse with this squad right now - game was lost when bowyer picked the starting line up
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2021
    Accrington a spirted well drilled team with real togetherness and fight. Charlton currently are a collection of individuals with no partnerships, strategy or coherence on the pitch. I guess this is not surprising considering a hastily assembled squad under a salary cap. The third squad Bowyer has put together and definitely the worst. I am not seeing this team getting promoted.
  • Options
    Gilbey’s been a disgrace since his injury. Big signing - high wages. Done nothing whatsoever since he’s come back 
  • Options
    We need a spark or something has to change from somewhere if we are to even look like playing well again this season. I thought the blitz against AFCW might be it ... But no momentum from that at all. Can't see us signing anyone else under the salary cap so can't see where any improvement is coming from. I hate to say it but it looks like the players are sick of bowyer.

Two options as I see it:
    - stick with bowyer and write this season off, start prepping for next season now.
    - change manager (no suggestions as to who) and hope the players respond better 

For what it's worth I would choose option 1
  • Options
    Anyone think Bow got the hump and just fucking it up for us? Like Dowie did? 
  • Options
    Feels a bit like the Swindon (?) game that saw the end of Parky...
  • Options
    Not sure what you do after that.
    Feel we should stick with Bowyer because he stuck with us.
    But even with injuries you should have a system and it doesn’t look like we do. At all.

• Options
    this is the game that made me really lose faith i had left in our season.