Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD: Charlton v Accrington | Fri 8 Jan 2021

Comments

• Morgan is poor...think he needs a loan. Gilbey had a good shot on goal at end of half. Don’t know what Maddison has done wrong. Bowyer has credit in my books bout it’s dwindling with every strange decision 
  • From what I see Accrington controlling the game. Morgan not in it. Miller has some threat. Need to control midfield and build attacks.
  • Could be worse, if it wasn't for TS we wouldn't even be discussing this football game right now.
    Gotta stop saying that...yes he saved the club but the signings were made and games been played & it hasn't been good enough...we roll over for teams at times and its embarrassing.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    Bring morgan, washington and smythe off ang get Chucks, Schwartz and maddison on ffs LB show some guts
    Washington and Smyth have started well. 

Morgan today's weakest link and even he's not been terrible.
    Morgan is doing a Paul Scholes where he's showing he cant tackle and giving away too many Free-Kicks
    But some of his passes have been very good. He's an attacking midfielder not a striker (as that shot showed) or defensive player as shown by the fouls. 

He certainly isn't enjoying how our other two in midfield keep switching positions around him, but he should see that and take up the newly vacated spaces 
  • edited January 2021
    Accers seem to be all midfield or defence and are working well together, we are
    far too slow too the second ball, and any attempt at getting into their area is far
    too quickly mopped up.
    We need The Beast and Maddison on to give Millar and Smyth something to aim at, or we
    will get f*ck all out of this game
    I think we're on the same wavelength. Have we met?😂
  • Not sure Swartz is the immediate answer in this instance.

Patching up that awful Swiss cheese midfield should be the priority then build on from that.
  • Sage said:
    I’m sick and tired of this. And it’s something specific.

Time after time after time we have the ball, we play it up field, lose the first ball, lose the second ball and suddenly the phase of play changes. We are on the back foot but there is not a single midfielder in the new defensive phase of play. Why? Because they’re beyond the play, they’re out of position, and the opponents have a free run on our unorganised, retreating back four.

When we don’t have the ball, our midfielders follow the nearest opposing player, all without any thought but because they’re thinking they’re defending. But they’re not. They’re creating space for the opponents to get into themselves. It’s embarrassing.

You then have the defence that follow the strikers wherever they go as well. It’s not man marking, it’s unorganised, it’s a lack of compactness, and a pure and simple lack of leadership across the pitch.

If they, and I mean Bowyer, Jackson, Pearce, and all the other senior people involved cannot see this problem happening time after time, game after game, there is something seriously wrong.

I am at the point where it’s beyond a joke now. It’s pathetic, it’s embarrassing. If you cannot see this all the time, there is something wrong.

Every single time, a single pass takes our whole midfield out of the game, they’re beyond the phase of play. It’s ridiculous, I am so pissed off with it.
    Agree completely 
    Good post
  • edited January 2021
    Maddison for Morgan is a very obvious, easy change now
  • You can tell that they are a settled team who know each other inside out.

We have a mish mash of players who generally don't look comfortable. Gilbey for example was MK Dons POTY last season, what's his role in this team? He can't have forgotten how to play football.

Bowyer chops and changes his lineup and formation so often this lot can't get into any kind of rhythm. I know that injuries and suspensions have often forced his hand but i'm not convinced we'd be doing any better tonight had Pratley and Watson been there.
  • Midfield really struggling as it appears they are all playing box to box and being dragged all over the place, can't pick up 2nd balls or track runners. 

Jake Forster-Caskey has been competing with 2 men most of that half, and our defence isnt the quickest. 

Washington is trying but very isolated, I like Millar & Smyth out wide but any high crosses will be easily defended against by the 3 big centre backs. 

For me we be better off going 4-2-3-1 and making sure our Gibley and JFC hold and let them  distribute the ball let Morgan free roam and support the play further forward.

• Sponsored links:

• Hopefully the changes happen before they 2 goals up we do look decent out wide now need to create and finish. Make the changes before it's too late ffs
  • edited January 2021
    Millar looks good. Probably our best player so far & something we've missed. Smyth has also looked good on the other wing, only problem (and what I highlighted on here below the match) is that we have no one in the middle to finish anything off. 2 strikers up top is a must.
  • Defenders playing in wrong positions - concede shite goals
    Defenders playing in correct positions - concede shite goals

Nothing changes ...
    Maybe players out of position is a weak argument and its always been the players themselves that the focus should have been on rather than the Manager of late!!

EVERY goal we've conceded of late has been down to weak individuals making the sort of errors they shouldnt be making at this level
    This ^^^ you can’t legislate for Pearce’s schoolboy error. Midfield second best. Oshilaja doing ok get MM on for Smyth, Aneke and Ronnie on for Washington and Gilbey.
  • edited January 2021
    We let the wrong player out on loan. Give me Lapslie all day long ahead of Morgan.

let’s face it we are a very very average looking team . 
  • ct_addick said:
    Morgan is poor...think he needs a loan. Gilbey had a good shot on goal at end of half. Don’t know what Maddison has done wrong. Bowyer has credit in my books bout it’s dwindling with every strange decision 
    Morgan's struggled twice and now he needs a loan PMSL. His passing is his main attribute and that's been decent.

No one complaining at Millars overhit passing purely because he's playing a very direct game.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I wonder what bogle is thinking 
    Who is Bowyer going to blame this on now
    Pearce. Or possibly not as he is a senior pro!
  • Pretty even first half, but we’ve been let down by a moment of poor defending again. We’ve looked solid enough at the back, but we are lacking a little bit with this midfield because no-one seems to be quite comfortable in their place. JFC is doing well but he could do with being nearer the back four, which is understandable as he’s not used to being the shield. Gilbey is useful in the attacking phase but Albie looks a bit lost. The wingers look dangerous and Washington has won a lot of his duels. Accrington are a decent side and they move the ball around very well. JFC could do with dropping a little deeper to pick up that space in front of our back four but we’re creating opportunities and they have their keeper to thank for decent saves from JFC and Gilbey. We’ve still got Chuks, Maddison, Williams and Schwartz on the bench to come on, and if you’ve watched that half and decided we’re shit and everyone in our team is useless then to be honest you’re just determined to think that regardless of what’s happening in front of you. We can definitely take something from this, we’re not out of it by any stretch 
    Pearce has made a career out of poor defending
  • Leuth said:
    Chucks, Williams, Aneke, and Maddison on at half time please. 

No, well start with the same eleven, go 2-0 down and then change it.
    Chuks AND Aneke! That'd be HUGE
    Hey, if we've managed to clone Chuks, we could keep it secret and just play Chuks first half and Aneke second half, and no-one would be any the wiser, just assume we'd finally sorted out his fitness! :-)
  • I'd like Morgan to play at least 60 but seems we're writing him off now.
  • If we think we can wait 6 weeks to get this defence sorted out it will be too late for promotion
  • Sponsored links:

• Pearce was lucky not to give them a penalty. 
  • Good analysis @Sage. It's obviously part of our tactics hence the obsession with match up against the opposition pre-game or at half time.

• Aneke coming on
  • ChiAddick said:
    Suprised at those that want Smyth off. Think he's done well. Morgan and Gilbey haven't been in the game. 

Shocking defending no matter what the level from Pearce. Had about 10 yards on the player. Poor final pass.  We do need maddison on for Morgan.
    I think Smyth has looked decent 
  • I think they will try and nick a 2nd goal
    early doors and then shut up shop
  • Sage said:

Time after time after time we have the ball, we play it up field, lose the first ball, lose the second ball and suddenly the phase of play changes. We are on the back foot but there is not a single midfielder in the new defensive phase of play. Why? Because they’re beyond the play, they’re out of position, and the opponents have a free run on our unorganised, retreating back four.

When we don’t have the ball, our midfielders follow the nearest opposing player, all without any thought but because they’re thinking they’re defending. But they’re not. They’re creating space for the opponents to get into themselves. It’s embarrassing.

You then have the defence that follow the strikers wherever they go as well. It’s not man marking, it’s unorganised, it’s a lack of compactness, and a pure and simple lack of leadership across the pitch.

If they, and I mean Bowyer, Jackson, Pearce, and all the other senior people involved cannot see this problem happening time after time, game after game, there is something seriously wrong.

I am at the point where it’s beyond a joke now. It’s pathetic, it’s embarrassing. If you cannot see this all the time, there is something wrong.

Every single time, a single pass takes our whole midfield out of the game, they’re beyond the phase of play. It’s ridiculous, I am so pissed off with it.
    This needs to be forwarded to management team. 
  • For those crying out for an attacking side... are you now asking to be more defensive? 
  • edited January 2021
    Sage said:

And it didn't happen when Pratley AND Watson played in midfield. 

It has since, and that is a bigger miss than the individual center halves. As good as they are. 

Pratley AND Watson and two of Morgan, Shinnie, Maddison and Williams. 

Also you can't play 433 without a target man, not at this level.  

Does anyone, in the world, play 433 with out either a false 9 (which makes it a diamond with split skrikers) or a target man? 
  • We look so disjointed, defence is sat on the edge of the box while the midfield is on the half way line, one easy ball takes out the whole midfield. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!