Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

Comments

• It is interesting that two 35 year olds are totally untouchable - they must be, by definition, not just our best players but the fittest in our squad too given that LB keeps stressing how important it is to rotate.
  • shine166 said:
    danny777 said:
    Maddison plays well, scores, so is left out.
    Didn't the same happen to Williams and Purrington earlier? Any others?

Maybe it's meant as motivation. 
    "If you want a rest, earn one by scoring a goal"
    Guess it depends if Bowyer sees these players are being more effective as impact players

Take Aneke for example, we've been calling for him to constantly start but hasnt scored for Charlton unless its off the bench...
    Yeah with that in mind I've gone 2-1 hull, maddison last goal 
    I'm not really that au fait with teams outside of Charlton. But does someone have any examples of players of the quality of Maddison or Williams or Aneke who don't even get a run of starts (I mean 5 plus games), because they are deemed 'impact players'.

It just seems wholly unusual to me, and a tactic you would find on video games and not real life. 
    Lyle Taylor at Forest?
  • What you lot are forgetting Is this is Charlton, we'll spank hull then lose to Rochdale 6-0 next week instead 
  • Shame about Magennis.  The only striker in the league that even Pearce could catch. 
  • LTKapal said:
    What you lot are forgetting Is this is Charlton, we'll spank hull then lose to Accrington 6-0 next week instead 
    ;)
  • Warm-ups complete
    Kick-off is just around the corner. Let's get to it... #cafc

• shine166 said:
    danny777 said:
    Maddison plays well, scores, so is left out.
    Didn't the same happen to Williams and Purrington earlier? Any others?

Maybe it's meant as motivation. 
    "If you want a rest, earn one by scoring a goal"
    Guess it depends if Bowyer sees these players are being more effective as impact players

Take Aneke for example, we've been calling for him to constantly start but hasnt scored for Charlton unless its off the bench...
    Yeah with that in mind I've gone 2-1 hull, maddison last goal 
    I'm not really that au fait with teams outside of Charlton. But does someone have any examples of players of the quality of Maddison or Williams or Aneke who don't even get a run of starts (I mean 5 plus games), because they are deemed 'impact players'.

It just seems wholly unusual to me, and a tactic you would find on video games and not real life. 
    Lyle Taylor at Forest?
    Not sure if that's a joke, it's funny one if so. 

But otherwise, just incase it's not, he had a run of games starting, and also is arguably not as good as those he is battling for in that position.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    redman said:
    Can't believe how many people are having a go at Pratley. Agreed he was poor last week but generally has been good. And of course Curbs said last week how impressed with him he had been. But there again a load of you used to criticise him. 
    Exactly. Seems some people are more obsessed with the concept of being ‘out of position’ than the reality of how Pratley has performed. He’s been good at CB and as he gets older it’s not surprising that he’d start to settle into more of that kind of role anyway. Pratley makes fewer mistakes than Deji who is a poor centre half. We’ve only ever seen Deji play badly at CB when he’s been there whereas Pratley has typically been good, but as that’s his ‘official’ position playing Pratley there instead has to be a mistake. It’s very odd
    Agree, I have no issue with Pratley at CB when Oshilaja is the alternative.

My concern is we’re set up to keep the game tight or nick a goal from a set piece - by setting up such a defensive midfield four it puts more pressure on the defence as we lack attacking outlets. Don’t expect Maddison and Williams to start together (though I’d like to see it) but why leave both on the bench?
  • Scoham said:
    redman said:
    Can't believe how many people are having a go at Pratley. Agreed he was poor last week but generally has been good. And of course Curbs said last week how impressed with him he had been. But there again a load of you used to criticise him. 
    Exactly. Seems some people are more obsessed with the concept of being ‘out of position’ than the reality of how Pratley has performed. He’s been good at CB and as he gets older it’s not surprising that he’d start to settle into more of that kind of role anyway. Pratley makes fewer mistakes than Deji who is a poor centre half. We’ve only ever seen Deji play badly at CB when he’s been there whereas Pratley has typically been good, but as that’s his ‘official’ position playing Pratley there instead has to be a mistake. It’s very odd
    Agree, I have no issue with Pratley at CB when Oshilaja is the alternative.

My concern is we’re set up to keep the game tight or knock a goal from a set piece - by setting up such a defensive midfield four it puts more pressure on the defence as we lack attacking outlets. Don’t expect Maddison and Williams to start together (though I’d like to see it) but why leave both on the bench?
    Plus I'd prefer Pratley in midfield. 
  • Can't see anything but a repeat of boxing day unfortunately.
    Would that be so bad? I think a point away from home against one of the top teams in the league - who were in the Championship last season - would be a decent showing. We did draw on Tuesday 
  • Here come the Addicks... Fire up Valley Pass, get comfortable and get behind the boys! COME ON YOUUU REDSSSS! #cafc
  • Gutted about maddison not starting but if it's the pitch is bad then so be it. He will be fired up against his old team too! 
  • Seen a lot worse pitches this season than Hull's in fairness to them
  • Why does LB keep trying to squeeze all 4 of these in every week Prately, Watson, Matthews and Gunter . Surely we should play players in their correct positions!!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting listening to Gallen saying he's looking to get in some pace and athleticism.
  • Maatsen on the right 🤦‍♂️
  • Oof. JFC goes flying in with a header, and then goes down clutching his head.
  • JFC injured already.
  • Screw the game, I could listen to Curbs and Minto chat all afternoon. They work really well together. Fascinating anecdotes and insights. 
    It's like having our own version of Saint & Greavsie.
  • Maatsen playing right mid 🙄🙄
  • Talal said:
    God is it Pratley centre back and Matthews on the left again. 
    Yes, because last week worked soooooo well....😄😄😄
    Well Matthews won us a corner that led to the first goal and got an assist for the other soooooo :D;)
    Yea and Pratley was outstanding at CB. Ah no wait...
    When else has he been shite at CB though?

You're right that Bowyer makes a rod for his own back when he drops the likes of Williams for one bad game as know thats what you'll come back with :)
    Not at all I wouldn’t have started Williams. Definitely would have started Maddison although I agree the pitch might have ruined that. 

Pratley has done a job but he’s not a CB. His performance last week showed exactly why he shouldn’t be there, he wasn’t even in the picture for their first goal. 
    Yeah I equally wasnt impressed with Pratley going walkies, really hope he's learnt from that!!
    It was poor but not unexpected because he’s a midfielder. We miss him in midfield too so for me it’s not just about whether he’s been poor at CB. You’ll disagree because you back Bowyer whatever which I respect but he’s doing my head in now. 
    And no doubt those who disagree with Bowyer will be saying what a good job he's done if we win today or go on another run without many changes to the team

I'd much rather be optimistic than two faced :)
    I’m not two faced at all thank you very much. I’ll hold my hands up if Bowyer proves me wrong, only selection I’ve criticised is Pratley at CB whilst Deji is again on the bench. 
  • Why does LB keep trying to squeeze all 4 of these in every week Prately, Watson, Matthews and Gunter . Surely we should play players in their correct positions!!! 
    I think Bow has actually worked himself into a bit of a corner here. Watson and Gunter are supposedly big fish for a side in this league but then Matthews and Pratley are proven performers for us over theist couple of years. Bow doesn't know who to drop so picks them all.
  • Why is Albie on the left?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!