Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• my guess the plan is to rotate one seamer on one end and one spinner on the other.
  • archer spanked for 6... this is what the tail shouldve been doing. Momentum is all india's now.
  • AshBurton said:
    AshBurton said:
    I’m increasingly convinced Jofra is battIng three places too high
    He does tend to bat in Tests as if he can't bat but he can, He averages almost 25 in First Class cricket with half a dozen 50s to his name
    Smashed it in the IPL too. Just looked too laid back here to bother defending his stumps - in both innings!
    As a Sussex supporter, I feel I ought to defend Jofra's batting. For Sussex, I've found that he is a dangerous bat when the going is good. In a Test match against quality bowlers on a tricky wicket, I'm not so sure.

Coming back to fitness last season, I saw him hit a vicious ton against Somerset 2nds. One of the young Somerset fielders complained to me as I walked round the boundary that 'a batsman of that calibre is going to be the difference between Sussex and us in this game'. This opinion was, it should be said, prior to Somerset's second innings. Having bowled at half pace in the first innings, in Somerset's second innings, Jofra went on to his full run up and put the fear of God into the Somerset batsmen.
  • great ball by leach, one down..
  • Leach with the new ball.

Was doing something for the Indian seamers and now we've put Leach on to serve up pies instead.

I take that back.... :D
  • Good lad Jack.
  • A Jaffa out of nowhere after a pretty limp few overs from England 

Get Jimmy on at the other end
  • They won’t get these 
    Risk reward too high 
    this isn’t IPL 
    turning wicket 
    we won’t lose !! 
  • They won’t get these 
    Risk reward too high 
    this isn’t IPL 
    turning wicket 
    we won’t lose !! 
    Just copied this just in case.........
  • They won’t get these 
    Risk reward too high 
    this isn’t IPL 
    turning wicket 
    we won’t lose !! 

Since when has 4 an over been anytime to do with the IPL.
    Where is boycott batting for India ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I can understand what Alistair Cook is saying about wanting the fast bowlers fresh tonight & tomorrow morning - but surely they would only bowl 4 or 5 overs each today - anything else could be bowled by spinners, which with Root we have 3 of them.
    I think you have slightly misunderstood what Cook was saying.  You're right that his suggestion would be for the seamers to bowl tonight and again, fresh, in the morning.  But the key thing he was pointing out was that they should be bowling with a hard ball.  
  • They won’t get these 
    Risk reward too high 
    this isn’t IPL 
    turning wicket 
    we won’t lose !! 

It's a lot harder to score fast runs in test cricket on a deteriorating surface , it will take some going so the big 4's and 6's wont come without a risk that will lead to wickets falling .
    They wont score these runs the total is too big for the conditions
  • We should bowl them out tomorrow, but Root & the England coaching staff will have some serious questions to answer if we don't!
  • Will be a draw with them 6/7 down 
  • Backing us to win late on tomorrow - similar to Cape Town last year. Will need the second new ball and part of the final hour to do it though. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Will be a draw with them 6/7 down 
    Or that. 
  • shaping up to be a really interesting final day. 
  • There ought to be better laws in place to stop all this time wasting (from both sides).

Big runs penalty if 30 overs not bowled in a full session, or if batsman are clearly wasting time.

• All a bit passive by England after tea, both with the bat but also in the field, as while the Indian batsmen were time wasting, England didn't seem interested in bowling quickly either

Too quiet out there also. The Indians would be making a racket if England had been batting in the 4th innings facing 400 odd
  • Sponsored links:

• They won’t get these 
    Risk reward too high 
    this isn’t IPL 
    turning wicket 
    we won’t lose !! 

It's a lot harder to score fast runs in test cricket on a deteriorating surface , it will take some going so the big 4's and 6's wont come without a risk that will lead to wickets falling .

If India had 20 overs to bat in this session they could've been 80-0 with the odd bad ball from Leach and Archer.

Then 4 an over tomorrow in 90 overs and they would emulate their victory in Chennai in 2008.

This Indian team now have Virat Kohli who was missing from the Indian team that won the run chase against the Aussies.

India will hit or try to hit every bad ball to the Boundary.

381 in 90 overs max is doable for India against two inexperienced spinners; Archer who can be hot or go for boundaries, Stokes could wilt in the sun (ginger !) and the main man could still be the record breaking Anderson if in the unlikely event England take 9 wickets tomorrow.

It was so important that Jack Leech got that wicket for his confidence.

India wanted England to declare and that's why they slowed the game down. Not that they were playing for a draw but because they wanted to have 25 overs to bat.

India will still look to stay in touch with the Run Rate but not lose any wickets.

If our bowlers don't all bring their A game or we put down catches India will smell blood.

You can keep your 20/20, Test Cricket is still the dogs testicles.  

Having said that I enjoyed my visit to Lords for the 50 over World Cup.
  • edited February 2021
    11 paragraphs about a potential run chase without worrying four letter word/name - Pant!

An England draw will feel like a loss
    The chance of an India win is <10%
  • I think we have been over cautious throughout this test.
    On day two when we passed 500 runs we should have declared and had a dozen overs at India. 
    To continue batting for as long as we did has now made a draw favourite. 
  • They won’t get these 
    Risk reward too high 
    this isn’t IPL 
    turning wicket 
    we won’t lose !! 

If India had 20 overs to bat in this session they could've been 80-0 with the odd bad ball from Leach and Archer.

Then 4 an over tomorrow in 90 overs and they would emulate their victory in Chennai in 2008.

This Indian team now have Virat Kohli who was missing from the Indian team that won the run chase against the Aussies.

India will hit or try to hit every bad ball to the Boundary.

381 in 90 overs max is doable for India against two inexperienced spinners; Archer who can be hot or go for boundaries, Stokes could wilt in the sun (ginger !) and the main man could still be the record breaking Anderson if in the unlikely event England take 9 wickets tomorrow.

It was so important that Jack Leech got that wicket for his confidence.

India wanted England to declare and that's why they slowed the game down. Not that they were playing for a draw but because they wanted to have 25 overs to bat.

India will still look to stay in touch with the Run Rate but not lose any wickets.

If our bowlers don't all bring their A game or we put down catches India will smell blood.

You can keep your 20/20, Test Cricket is still the dogs testicles.  

Having said that I enjoyed my visit to Lords for the 50 over World Cup.
    This is today and here and now 
    this wicket is giving more and more to the bowlers,  
    they aren’t getting these runs 

there’s been a few good chase downs recently but not on a track like this 

all good 

India scored at 3 an over for the 13 overs they batted .

they need 4.23 an over for 90 overs on a turning wicket .

they’re not getting them 

they’d bite our hands off for a draw right here right now 

I’ll look a right Cnut (I am anyway ) if they get them but they won’t 

• No need to panic. Still plenty of overs left to get the wickets required.
  • England need to take nine more wickets in three sessions to win the match.  Here's how many wickets have fallen (on each day) and in each session, so far.  

Day 1 (three wickets) 
    2, 0, 1 

Day 2 (five wickets) 
    0, 1, 4 

Day 3 (eight wickets) 
    4, 2, 2 

Day 4 (fifteen wickets) 
    5, 4, 6  

• edited February 2021
    Apparently viewing figures for C4 have been excellent. 1.1 mill viewers this morning - 18.4% of all people watching TV at the time.
    But what was the alternatives.....??  Richard & Judy or Renovate your BTL with advice from an ex footballer. 
  • Apparently viewing figures for C4 have been excellent. 1.1 mill viewers this morning - 18.4% of all people watching TV at the time.
    Should be even better numbers tomorrow, and from earlier too. I'll be getting up a bit earlier tomorrow, but not 4am!
  • Apparently viewing figures for C4 have been excellent. 1.1 mill viewers this morning - 18.4% of all people watching TV at the time.
    That's impressive. I'm loving the pared down presentation. 
    Cant help thinking broadcasters could learn a lot and save a lot from this style. 
    Just perfect.