Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• AshBurton said:
    AshBurton said:
    Based on those two pre-lunch overs, it’s not going to be easy for England to just go out and smash 160 quickly. I hope I’m wrong but we could be some way into the last session before we have enough to get India in again. 

A couple more quick wickets from India’s spinners after lunch would make England think twice about throwing the kitchen sink at this innings. Ashwin is a wily old sod and Nadeem looks a lot more threatening now the ball is turning sharply for him. Will be an interesting second session for sure!
    Root and stokes will make batting on this look easy. 

Hopefully 
    We’re about to find out! You’re right about Root so far, excellent controlled aggression. 
    😳
  • Hush your mouth, Canters !
  • no balls by spinners should be like running on the wicket. 
    Third time you do it you should be removed from the attack 
  • MrOneLung said:
    no balls by spinners should be like running on the wicket. 
    Amazing, isn’t it? Nadeem only takes five or six steps, it can’t be rocket science to move his marker back a couple of inches. 
  • lolwray said:
    Is it safe to come in ? Has the Ollie Pope at 3 argument stopped yet ? 
    It has stopped, indeed for now at least, but there is, potentially another argument brewing and that is - "isn't it about time that Burns was dropped?". Prepared to give him another three or four innings before I raise that one though! 
    OK I was being "slightly" flippant with regards to Burns but I am mindful that our 1-2-3 is a vulnerable unit - hence my original call to more Pope up and have Crawley opening. We have to think about the Ashes later this year and I can see us consistently being two down for not very many and Root, effectively, being exposed to the new ball almost as if he is an opener. As I say, I believe Pope to have the technique and temperament to bat at 3 but what is wrong with trying him sooner rather than later and if it doesn't work out then allow him to go back to 6?

So, back to Burns. I said that we should review his situation after another 3 or 4 innings. The fact that someone has done "OK" previously does not mean that they will do "OK" permanently. Denly consistently did "OK" but there was no argument from me when he was dropped. Burns with a Test average of 31.65 is no more a Root than Denly (29.53) is.  For those who do not believe that Burns is struggling for form, these are his scores from his last two series: 

So, give Burns the benefit of the doubt for the next two Tests. But should he suffer another 4 low scores I would suggest for the final Test just giving the Sibley, Crawley, Pope a go. What do we have to lose?
  • AshBurton said:
    MrOneLung said:
    no balls by spinners should be like running on the wicket. 
    Amazing, isn’t it? Nadeem only takes five or six steps, it can’t be rocket science to move his marker back a couple of inches. 
    But he won't really learn 'til he has a wicket chalked off for over stepping. There again, he probably still won't learn bur it will, at least, be amusing for that to happen!
  • 11/12/2008-15/12/2008 Chennai.
    Be aware of cricket history England.
  • Just shown the details on Channel 4 of the Indian winning Run chase.
  • lolwray said:
    Is it safe to come in ? Has the Ollie Pope at 3 argument stopped yet ? 
    It has stopped, indeed for now at least, but there is, potentially another argument brewing and that is - "isn't it about time that Burns was dropped?". Prepared to give him another three or four innings before I raise that one though! 
    OK I was being "slightly" flippant with regards to Burns but I am mindful that our 1-2-3 is a vulnerable unit - hence my original call to more Pope up and have Crawley opening. We have to think about the Ashes later this year and I can see us consistently being two down for not very many and Root, effectively, being exposed to the new ball almost as if he is an opener. As I say, I believe Pope to have the technique and temperament to bat at 3 but what is wrong with trying him sooner rather than later and if it doesn't work out then allow him to go back to 6?

So, back to Burns. I said that we should review his situation after another 3 or 4 innings. The fact that someone has done "OK" previously does not mean that they will do "OK" permanently. Denly consistently did "OK" but there was no argument from me when he was dropped. Burns with a Test average of 31.65 is no more a Root than Denly (29.53) is.  For those who do not believe that Burns is struggling for form, these are his scores from his last two series: 

So, give Burns the benefit of the doubt for the next two Tests. But should he suffer another 4 low scores I would suggest for the final Test just giving the Sibley, Crawley, Pope a go. What do we have to lose?
    We will only know that after the first 3 Tests.
  • I'm just going to throw one more thing into the Pope batting at 3 debate and the reason why Surrey haven't used there. The answer is simple - because he's probably never batted there even through county age group cricket. Is that due to him not being considered a number 3 even then or because he was keeping wicket and keepers, generally speaking, bat in the middle order. 

I've personally witnessed that with my son who, at the age of 11, was an opening bat and leg spin bowler for Kent. A year later he took up keeping and for both Club and County was demoted down the order. Which is why, after 5 years of doing that, he moved clubs and ended up opening all of last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should declare now 
  • After tea Pope went for it, but Buttler and Bess are still playing in Test match mode 
    Just checked that test. Tendaulker hit a century in their 2nd innings. He's not in their side now 😉😄

FWIW (and I did post about this last night) I think we should have enforced the follow on. We are now playing the "have we, haven't we" dance around when to declare.

Just checked that test. Tendaulker hit a century in their 2nd innings. He's not in their side now 😉😄

FWIW (and I did post about this last night) I think we should have enforced the follow on. We are now playing the "have we, haven't we" dance around when to declare.

But the pitch will be worst for whoever bats last which is what we want India to do
  • Not sure I’m understanding the strategy here 
  • Not sure what’s going on in this phase
  • Not sure I’m understanding the strategy here 
    AshBurton said:
    Not sure what’s going on in this phase
    Great minds! 
  • I say they have a figure of 420 in mind. 
  • Just wish they would get there quicker. 
  • And a quick 30 or 40 in the next half a dozen overs really should be the order of the day
  • Sponsored links:

• This is ridiculous.  England are not scoring & India are slowing the game down to waste time. 

Declare FFS!!
  • But India really shouldn't be allowed to consistently bowl 6 minute overs - especially from spinners!!!!
  • Captains first thought is  Dont Lose 

Not sure I agree.....should he dangling the carrot to Pant & Kholi, not just making them want to survive
  • All across the country, everyone is screaming

GET ON WITH IT
  • Crazy this, staying out for an extra 5 overs makes sense of you aim at a quick 30 odd runs.

Blocking and padding the ball away is getting us nowhere and costing us time.
  • India are honestly the masters of Gamesmanship. 
  • Fcking grow a pair and throw the bat , move the game on and be confident in your own ability .... is bowyer managing us to hold on to what we have ?
  • edited February 2021
    Indian scored 387/4 to win at a RR of 3.92 
    98.3 overs.

• Indian scored 387 to win at a RR of 3.92 

98.3 overs.

Mark Butcher promised to “eat his shoes” if that happens again on this surface. 
  • india will never get 400 runs on this pitch. throw the bat at it, get some momentum and have some more time to bowl them out...