Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• lolwray said:
    Is it safe to come in ? Has the Ollie Pope at 3 argument stopped yet ? 
    It has stopped, indeed for now at least, but there is, potentially another argument brewing and that is - "isn't it about time that Burns was dropped?". Prepared to give him another three or four innings before I raise that one though! 
    Burns isn't that bad (ok  he's not great).
    I think he is there until somebody in county cricket can show enough decent form at the top of the order to force their way in.
    Please God not Keaton Jennings. 
    At the moment England have an abundance of middle order batsmen. 
    From 4 down to 8 we are as strong as anyone it's the top 3 that have been a problem. Hopefully when he recovers from his injury Crawley can solve the number 3 position. But until somebody can force their way into the side with plenty of runs Burns keeps the gig.
  • Jack leach having his Kerrigan moment?
    Lancashire spent one season in the second division of the County Championship, winning the 2013 division title to seal promotion at the first attempt.[29] Kerrigan played regularly for the England Lions and in August that year was called into the England squad to face Australia in the fifth and final Ashes Test of the summer to share spin bowling duties with Graeme Swann. At that stage of the season Kerrigan had played ten County Championship matches and taken 47 wickets. On 21 August 2013, Kerrigan made his Test match debut along with seam bowling all-rounder Chris Woakes. England had already secured a series victory by winning three of the first four fixtures. Kerrigan bowled eight overs in the match, conceding 53 runs.

And I was there (as Max Boyce used to say).
  • lolwray said:
    Is it safe to come in ? Has the Ollie Pope at 3 argument stopped yet ? 
    It has stopped, indeed for now at least, but there is, potentially another argument brewing and that is - "isn't it about time that Burns was dropped?". Prepared to give him another three or four innings before I raise that one though! 
    Since the Strauss cook partnership ended, how many players have came in for 5 tests, averaged 25 and then been sent back to county cricket. Burns is better than what has come before and deserves a longer chance. He will never be a world beater but we need steady right now and not another Jason Roy 
  • Am happy with Sibley Burns Crawley at 1-2-3 at moment 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Am happy with Sibley Burns Crawley at 1-2-3 at moment 
    I agree. 
    It's as good as we have at the moment 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I agree. 
    Have to agree that Crawley is the best number three we have and that, for now, Sibley and Burns are probably the best two openers. 

But it's starting that, with this combination, England have never reached 100 in the first innings before the loss of the second wicket. 
  • burns has a lot of capital in that he came in and did well when everyone was batting terribly in the ashes, I think he's better than sibley imo, but I'd still want to see england stick with those two through the summer.
  • So what do you reckon if India don't reach the 388. Enforce the follow on or have a bat because a day 5 pitch will not be good to bat on if necessary...?

I'd go with enforcing the follow on. Mainly because you are dealing with a known outcome, ie if India dont collapse & we get them out for 350 we know what we have to chase down. If England bat again it means Root having to decide how long to bat for & how many overs to leave to bowl them out. 
  • As much as I don’t want England batting on day 5, I’d enforce the follow on. Realistically India are not going to be able to get enough runs to win the game. If England bat again you have to score runs quickly and I don’t think it will suit them. 
  • Anyone else up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep just turned on and Bess goes for 6 
  • Waiting for the new ball here
  • kin ell , Bess making me hungry with all these pies 
  • Giving this away here. Bowling dross letting them get their eye in early and build confidence 
  • Leach gets Ashwin 
  • Sundar looks an amazing talent.

A guy at work reliably tells me Sundar translates as 'pretty'. Washington Pretty - nice name!
  • Another for Leach 
    312-8 
    Washington 64 not out 
  • Get these last 2 smash 160 out quick and have 3.5 seddions to bowl at them?
  • Get these last 2 smash 160 out quick and have 3.5 seddions to bowl at them?
    *last 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Based on those two pre-lunch overs, it’s not going to be easy for England to just go out and smash 160 quickly. I hope I’m wrong but we could be some way into the last session before we have enough to get India in again. 

A couple more quick wickets from India’s spinners after lunch would make England think twice about throwing the kitchen sink at this innings. Ashwin is a wily old sod and Nadeem looks a lot more threatening now the ball is turning sharply for him. Will be an interesting second session for sure!
  • AshBurton said:
    Based on those two pre-lunch overs, it’s not going to be easy for England to just go out and smash 160 quickly. I hope I’m wrong but we could be some way into the last session before we have enough to get India in again. 

A couple more quick wickets from India’s spinners after lunch would make England think twice about throwing the kitchen sink at this innings. Ashwin is a wily old sod and Nadeem looks a lot more threatening now the ball is turning sharply for him. Will be an interesting second session for sure!
    Totally agree, @AshBurton. The bookies have a draw at the shortest odds. I was about to say that the next session is crucial to our chances but I suspect every session will be.
  • AshBurton said:
    Based on those two pre-lunch overs, it’s not going to be easy for England to just go out and smash 160 quickly. I hope I’m wrong but we could be some way into the last session before we have enough to get India in again. 

Root and stokes will make batting on this look easy. 

Hopefully 
  • Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I agree. 
    Have to agree that Crawley is the best number three we have and that, for now, Sibley and Burns are probably the best two openers. 

But it's starting that, with this combination, England have never reached 100 in the first innings before the loss of the second wicket. 
    No denying it's a problem. 
    As I said in an earlier post from 4 to 8 we are very strong. 
    We need to discover another opening batsman as quickly as possible but at the moment what we have is probably as good as we have. 
  • Root is just so good.  A wickedly turning pitch & he just comes out & sweeps two 4s to release the pressure 
  • edited February 2021
    Test cricket at its best.
    Joe Root at the top of his game.
    Pressure, what pressure.

• Ridiculous review from Lawrence. Root should have told him to keep walking. 
  • Potentially does us a favour with stokes & Buttler to come in 
  • AshBurton said:

Root and stokes will make batting on this look easy. 

Hopefully 
    We’re about to find out! You’re right about Root so far, excellent controlled aggression.