Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• I hope Leech gets his  fiver.
  • Still baffles me why Buttler is going home after ONE test when the next match is at the same venue
    Because he’s been away from family for ages essentially living in a (nice) hotel room part in isolation for at least a month and he’s got a lot of cricket including a World Cup this year to ensure his fitness physical and mental is tip top. 

Same as Bairstow missing this series, Archer missing the last etc. I think as fans we may be underestimating the mental effect covid may have on the team. We have a lot of cricket in 2021 of various forms (not even talking about the hundred). 

In non covid times the players would have more freedom, to relax on beaches, walk of an evening, the players families join for parts/all of the tours etc this is so different. 
    I think it was more the timing that killer was questioning? I suspect that the reason he started the series was to send a message to both him and fans that he is still the number one keeper.
  • As a result of his current not out innings, Bumrah's average has increased from 2.71 to 2.80
    And now that he's out it's back down to 2.62
  • WHAT. A. WIN. Outstanding. 
  • Schooled well and truly 
  • edited February 2021
     Archer with a bullseye.
    They think it's all over, it is now.
  • Great test for England.

How nice was it to get a decent test that lasted five days?
  • Let's celebrate but not get too carried away, Think India against Australia, They will come back fighting with all guns blazing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still baffles me why Buttler is going home after ONE test when the next match is at the same venue
    Because he’s been away from family for ages essentially living in a (nice) hotel room part in isolation for at least a month and he’s got a lot of cricket including a World Cup this year to ensure his fitness physical and mental is tip top. 

Same as Bairstow missing this series, Archer missing the last etc. I think as fans we may be underestimating the mental effect covid may have on the team. We have a lot of cricket in 2021 of various forms (not even talking about the hundred). 

In non covid times the players would have more freedom, to relax on beaches, walk of an evening, the players families join for parts/all of the tours etc this is so different. 
    Not questioning resting players, but why he’s been kept on for just 1 Test rather than 2 when the next match is at the same venue.

Is Foakes the keeper for the rest of the series, or will be get dumped after one Test when Bairstow arrives before the 3rd Test? Indeed if Foakes was unfit this week, would Pope have to keep for the 2nd Test?
  • Let's celebrate but not get too carried away, Think India against Australia, They will come back fighting with all guns blazing.

When England won 2-1 in 2012, India won the first test. 

The vital wicket was getting Pujara out early and no one to make a big partnership with Virat Kohli.
  • Great test for England.

How nice was it to get a decent test that lasted five days?
    Real test cricket. Looking forward to a lie-in tomorrow though! 

Not questioning resting players, but why he’s been kept on for just 1 Test rather than 2 when the next match is at the same venue.

Is Foakes the keeper for the rest of the series, or will be get dumped after one Test when Bairstow arrives before the 3rd Test? Indeed if Foakes was unfit this week, would Pope have to keep for the 2nd Test?
    Pope keeping hopefully won't be an option simply because he just doesn't keep these days. It's really hard to take the gloves and expect to be international class when you don't do it on a regular basis.

In any case, he needs to save all his energies on his new batting position!
  • Well played England.Great victory and great allround performance.Barmy Army Barny Army!

I think we just need to get into the mindset that there’s is no longer a ‘best 11’, there’s a squad that will be rotated baring in mind schedule, opposition and players circumstances to ensure the maximum amount of physical and mental freshness. 
  • England giving world class performances - at cricket!! Anderson, as good a seam bowler as there has ever been - and Root masterclasses.

Oh my days - what a time to be alive :)
  • is this bloke the worst post match interviewer ever? 
  • Great win England.
  • Bloody Jimmy ruining what would’ve been a great morning to watch cricket! Had even agreed with my missus that I could have the lounge to myself this morning so I could watch the cricket. What an incredible bowler he is, a cloudy day in Manchester that was not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Enjoy the victory: since losing the series to England, over eight years ago remains the last time India have lost a Test series on home soil. It's 12 consecutive series wins in India for Virat Kohli's men, a world record.

Should be a great contest in the next 3 matches.
  • Superb performance.  Root never struck me as a natural captain, but team performances and results in the last year or so have been fantastic 
  • Great match, great result and great to see it played in a great spirit (Indian wicket Keeper in particular joking with our batsmen) so much more enjoyable than the way the Aussies play.
  • Interesting to hear how Kohli is under a lot of pressure as captain - his 4th defeat on the trot - and how the home TV coverage is focusing on his leadership. Especially as they won in Australia without him and under Rahane.
  • would Kohli be bothered about not being captain and concentrating on his batting ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    would Kohli be bothered about not being captain and concentrating on his batting ?
    I certainly think his ego would. Cook and Strauss were suggesting that he was relatively quiet, by his standards, during England's first innings but in the second was back to his old ways of over appealing and generally trying to intimidate the Umpires - I don't think I've ever seen a captain demand that the Umpires take action against the batting side for running on the wicket either as he did.
  • Bloody Jimmy ruining what would’ve been a great morning to watch cricket! Had even agreed with my missus that I could have the lounge to myself this morning so I could watch the cricket. What an incredible bowler he is, a cloudy day in Manchester that was not. 

England faffed around last night to delay the match this morning. They knew how annoying it would have been for everyone at home if they'd won before many people had got out of bed  :D
  • Bournesnr said:
    Great match, great result and great to see it played in a great spirit (Indian wicket Keeper in particular joking with our batsmen) so much more enjoyable than the way the Aussies play.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the laughing and joking stopped now. Second test is going to be make or break for the Indian side. 
  • Bournesnr said:
    Great match, great result and great to see it played in a great spirit (Indian wicket Keeper in particular joking with our batsmen) so much more enjoyable than the way the Aussies play.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the laughing and joking stopped now. Second test is going to be make or break for the Indian side. 
    I dunno, I think that's just Pant's character.  I like him, talented and entertaining cricketer.