Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Not going to name him because I don't want accusations that I jinxed him but there is a bat out there who looks every much a Test opener. Really hope he gets a big one here because that will represent one of the comebacks of all time and hopefully give him the confidence of knowing that he does belong on this stage.
    Neither of them look like Test openers

Not with those hairstyles!
  • Not going to name him because I don't want accusations that I jinxed him but there is a bat out there who looks every much a Test opener. Really hope he gets a big one here because that will represent one of the comebacks of all time and hopefully give him the confidence of knowing that he does belong on this stage.
    Neither of them look like Test openers

Not with those hairstyles!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls8376jnLtI&ab_channel=gingerninja312
    I've read between the lines and i'm with you... Arise Sir Keaton Jennings!
    I mean that would be quite the comeback, one of the worst English openers ive ever seen in English conditions. And this is coming from some one who once opened the batting for a season with an average of 2. 
  • The only way these two look like getting out at the moment is by one of them running the other one out!
  • The only way these two look like getting out at the moment is by one of them running the other one out!
    Shhhhhhhh!
  • That's a rarity these days - a 50 opening partnership for England!

The first time they've opened together too. One thing that will help Burns is having someone at the other end who isn't just going to bat time. I'm not saying that Hameed won't get stuck on occasions but Burns will not every innings feel scoreboard pressure in the way he no doubt did partnering Sibley.
  • I'm sensing we may have a chance.
    Looks a mile better than Sibley.  Can defend but he's scored runs Sibley wouldn't have done too.
    We are 25 runs behind
    We have 20 wickets in hand
    They have just 10 wickets to fall
    There are 24 overs and 4 days left

If we can't beat them in these circumstances we don't deserve to win!
  • edited August 2021
    Hameed looked like a "proper opener", when he previously played for England (not last week).
    His rapid decline is one of life's mysteries (although his low hand technique and injuries has been noted).
    Whatever he scores today, he has already proved to me he must keep his place.

I'm usually anticipating us losing a wicket from the very first ball, but I haven't had that feeling at all so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hameed looked like a "proper opener", when he previously played for England (not last week).
    His rapid decline is one of life's mysteries (although his low hand technique and injuries has been noted).
    Whatever he scores today, he has already proved to me he must keep his place.
    He also tried to turn himself into a white ball batsman. That was never going to be his game and it just added to his confused state of mind. Moving to Notts and getting him away from the environment that reminded him of constant failure will also have helped him no end.

• Great to see Kohli stamping his feet because the Umpires won't change the ball #desperation
  • Great to see Kohli stamping his feet because the Umpires won't change the ball #desperation
    It's always good to see Kohli getting wound up!
  • He gets the change of ball and it disappears for 6 a couple of balls later😀.

Also can’t have happened to often in test matches, team batting second gets a first innings lead on the first day, without losing a wicket.
  • bobmunro said:
    Great to see Kohli stamping his feet because the Umpires won't change the ball #desperation
    It's always good to see Kohli getting wound up!
    All I will say is he has a very punchable face :smile:
    He's got such a good villain face - crazy eyes, pointy beard and eyebrows, slightly sinister grin....
    We are 25 runs behind
    We have 20 wickets in hand
    They have just 10 wickets to fall
    There are 24 overs and 4 days left

If we can't beat them in these circumstances we don't deserve to win!
    My mind read this in a "Blues Brothers" voice.
    Hit it !
  • He gets the change of ball and it disappears for 6 a couple of balls later😀.

Also can’t have happened to often in test matches, team batting second gets a first innings lead on the first day, without losing a wicket.
    5th time England have done it in their history 
  • Sponsored links:

• 100-0

Both Burns and Hameed on 46. Well done to both of them!
  • MrOneLung said:
    He gets the change of ball and it disappears for 6 a couple of balls later😀.

Didn’t think it could have been done to often, and add to that a century stand. Got to be a good day😀.
  • No better way to get a 50!!!!
  • edited August 2021
    Last time England passed the oppositions first innings score without loss: Australia at the MCG, 2010 (Cook & Strauss). Before that, Bangladesh at Lords in 2005 (Trescothick & Strauss).
  • This is absolutely dreadful. Someone's bound to crop up on this thread and suggest that maybe the Hundred wasn't the death knell of all England Test cricket after all. And I bet I know who. 
  • As Dellboy would say 
    We've had worse days 
  • Chizz said:
    This is absolutely dreadful. Someone's bound to crop up on this thread and suggest that maybe the Hundred wasn't the death knell of all England Test cricket after all. And I bet I know who. 
    Too busy criticising the executives' bonus after job cuts

Senior ECB executives to share £2.1m bonus despite Covid job cuts

• England all out by 6:30 tonight  ;)
    On that basis, I expect England to be skittled out for 150 tomorrow morning, with India 280-1 at close of play
  • MrOneLung said:
    He gets the change of ball and it disappears for 6 a couple of balls later😀.

You sure? BBC Sport said it's only the third time it's ever been done.