Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    Root is 85 runs short of Michael Vaughan’s England record runs scored in calendar year. 

Only got 5 more tests this year…
    I thought they said it was 4 hundred and something and the comment was he'll still.probably get the this series?!
    He's a few short of Vaughan's England record; and a few hundred short of the world record. 
  • nowadays Bairstow is strictly a 1 day 'batter' .. Buttler has publicly stated in a recent Times interview that he is undecided if he will be available for the next tour to Australia .. on this form, he has no worries, he won't be selected, although his keeping is improving
    Read that about Buttler's possible reluctance to go to Ashes especially with the imminent birth of his child. That being the case I'm not sure that they will turn to Foakes as I think there is still a belief that he isn't great against the fast short pitched stuff. He's also had that freak hamstring injury and not played since May with the last time he scored any runs dating back to the middle of April.

So, I could see a line up with Bairstow taking the gloves and batting at 7 with Pope and Stokes (assuming he's back) ahead of him in the order.
  • edited August 2021
    nowadays Bairstow is strictly a 1 day 'batter' .. Buttler has publicly stated in a recent Times interview that he is undecided if he will be available for the next tour to Australia .. on this form, he has no worries, he won't be selected, although his keeping is improving
    Read that about Buttler's possible reluctance to go to Ashes especially with the imminent birth of his child. That being the case I'm not sure that they will turn to Foakes as I think there is still a belief that he isn't great against the fast short pitched stuff. He's also had that freak hamstring injury and not played since May with the last time he scored any runs dating back to the middle of April.

So, I could see a line up with Bairstow taking the gloves and batting at 7 with Pope and Stokes (assuming he's back) ahead of him in the order.
    I suggested before this match that if Bairstow took the gloves again, Pope could come in for Buttler. Not ideal, but Buttler looks shot. I can see this happening if Buttler misses a Test due to paternity anyway
    If Australia goes ahead and Bairstow takes the gloves, Stokes 5, Pope 6, Bairstow 7, Moeen 8 looks pretty strong. You can then pick 3 bowlers based on their bowling ability, rather than how many runs they score. 
  • Bit of a middle order collapse last session yesterday. I was hoping we'd get nearer to 500 & a 400 lead. Could still get another 20 or 30 I suppose & probably have enough to win without batting again. At least it should be over before our game kicks off tomorrow.
  • 432 all out
  • Only 354 runs in front. Not good enough England. I expect India will bash 550 then roll us over
  • Leuth said:
    Only 354 runs in front. Not good enough England. I expect India will bash 550 then roll us over
    Don't even joke about it.
  • Ball is swinging all over the shop, India surviving by luck as much as judgement
  • Top catch from bairstow that 
  • Leuth said:
    Ball is swinging all over the shop, India surviving by luck as much as judgement

Perhaps we are just better at picking the right balls to play with!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Ball is swinging all over the shop, India surviving by luck as much as judgement

Perhaps we are just better at picking the right balls to play with!!!

Maybe our balls swing more
  • I'm sorry but there never seems to be too much urgency in reviewing - if you are out ot time as a result it's your own fault
  • May have hit bat before pad anyway 

Get Moeen on!
  • I'm sorry but there never seems to be too much urgency in reviewing - if you are out ot time as a result it's your own fault
    They have far too long to decide  imo. DRS was brought in to overturn obvious errors (bit like VAR) - like being given out LBW when you've hit it, or out caught behind when you've not touched it. Those 2 are more for the batters benefit & they usually review straightaway. If you have to take more than 10 seconds (which is the time I'd give) then you cant be that convinced & doing so tactically. That's not cricket old boy.
  • He may have gotten tailend wickets in the first dig but bloody hell Curran isn't a Test bowler and cannot play again this series surely
  • edited August 2021
    I started watching cricket just before the 2005 ashes series - struggling to think of a worse pace bowler than Curran to have played for England in that time.
  • Amjad Khan and Darren Pattinson were more of a threat ffs
  • Oof, burgled one there. Rohit lucky to have still been there tbf
  • Virat’s in? Unleash the Anderson. 
  • Obviously Warne is a Chelsea fan. The stink is unmistakable 
  • Sponsored links:

• A good night's sleep and the new ball in the morning. 
    India will be six down at lunch. 
    Easy Peasy 
  • Bit of a middle order collapse last session yesterday. I was hoping we'd get nearer to 500 & a 400 lead. Could still get another 20 or 30 I suppose & probably have enough to win without batting again. At least it should be over before our game kicks off tomorrow.
    I think I was being overly optimistic (yes, it does happen 😄) and think this could go into the final day. I can see India racking up 500 & us needing 130 odd to win.  Surely we could knock those off without too much of a problem....
  • edited August 2021
    Day 4 should be a great day's cricket. 
    Wish I was there but unfortunately I shall be watching the mighty CAFC  playing away to Charlton. 
  • Picked the wrong day ti get tickets for. Decent atmosphere today but was so wishing that Root would clean bowl Virat at the end to make my week. 

Still got charlton tomorrow to make up for it.
  • Picked the wrong day ti get tickets for. Decent atmosphere today but was so wishing that Root would clean bowl Virat at the end to make my week. 

Still got charlton tomorrow to make up for it.
    Oh, mate....
  • Will Jarvo get on at the Oval? 
  • Leuth said:
    He may have gotten tailend wickets in the first dig but bloody hell Curran isn't a Test bowler and cannot play again this series surely
    He needs to go away and work out what he is going to be, batter or bowler. At the moment he is neither.
  • I like Curran, I think he's a smart little player, but he shouldn't be in the Test team at the moment.
  • edited August 2021
    Pujara out, LBW Robinson, not playing a shot
  • Kettleborough is a fucking disaster zone