Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• From positions 5 through 9 England have an array of T20 hitting prowess. It won't stay turgid 
  • We look a more solid unit. It's not been often that Root has been able to come in with 159 on the board. We also have a good balance of left/right combinations - hopefully Stokes will return for the Ashes in which case the top order will look something like this:

Burns (left)
    Hameed (right)
    Malan (left)
    Root (right)
    Bairstow/Pope (right)
    Stokes (left)
    Buttler (right) 
  • Stay low Pant - he's having a bit of a mare at the moment and doesn't actually look like he's expecting to catch it when standing up to Jadeja
  • Brilliant to have a rested Root coming in to face tired bowlers instead of at 21-2. A perfect scenario for England to have loads of stroke makers coming in after the openers have worn down the Indian seamers
  • No wish to curse Malan but when was the last time our top 4 all reached 40 let alone 50 in an innings?

Answers on a postcard because I have no idea!
  • No wish to curse Malan but when was the last time our top 4 all reached 40 let alone 50 in an innings?

2013 was the last time the top 4 all made 50s

So only 8 years ago! Did they all make 60 though?
  • Chizz said:
    40/2 from 1hr40 is turgid cricket 
    But turgid cricket is a vast improvement on recent performances. 
    I wasn't complaining, love me some gritty cricket
  • This post lunch session has been joyous 
  • Sponsored links:

• This is only the he ninth time in England's Test history that the top four have all reached 60.
  • This post lunch session has been joyous 
    Whole Test has been pretty joyous so far!!
  • edited August 2021
    No wish to curse Malan but when was the last time our top 4 all reached 40 let alone 50 in an innings?

So only 8 years ago! Did they all make 60 though?
    I think I've found the innings in question for the last time the top 4 made 50. Numbers 3 and 4 made 56 and 52 respectively. The openers were Cook (116) and Compton (117) and the number 4 was Trott. I will post the answer to number 3 at the bottom of this post but I could have had a lot of attempts at getting him and got nowhere near!

Steven Finn
  • Well done Shane. Keep you're bloody mouth shut.....bloody Aussie !
  • For once Siraj's pleading and begging for a review was actually correct

Of course this will mean that he'll burn lots more reviews in the future, based on this one success
  • Still, Malan looked much more convincing than Sibley or Crawley (who'll come again in future I'm sure) have been recently.

Couple more innings like that and he's a shoo-in for the Ashes given he did OK over there last time.

Promising stuff last couple of days from him & Hameed.
  • To think that a year ago that the big criticism of Root was about his century conversion rate 

Today?
  • 378 for 5, lead of 300

On day 2!
  • A rare failure for Root, out for just 121
  • Sponsored links:

• A rare failure for Root, out for just 121
    Drop him for the next test.
  • edited August 2021
    Partnership of 34 between Curran and Overton... taken England past that 410 mark.
  • Partnership of 34 between Curran and Overton... taken England past that 410 mark.
    Kiss of death, Callum ! 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Would definitely sell at 410

very cloudy and recent history suggests we won’t get that elusive big score 
    This is why @bobmunro owns half of Cheshire and has the freedom of the Potteries. 
  • There's the curse. Partnership broken at 35. 418/8
  • edited August 2021
    We don't want them to be bowled out tonight. Much better to make them come out to bowl again for 10 minutes tomorrow
  • nowadays Bairstow is strictly a 1 day 'batter' .. Buttler has publicly stated in a recent Times interview that he is undecided if he will be available for the next tour to Australia .. on this form, he has no worries, he won't be selected, although his keeping is improving
  • Root is 85 runs short of Michael Vaughan’s England record runs scored in calendar year. 

Only got 5 more tests this year…
  • MrOneLung said:
    Root is 85 runs short of Michael Vaughan’s England record runs scored in calendar year. 

Only got 5 more tests this year…
    I thought they said it was 4 hundred and something and the comment was he'll still.probably get the this series?!