Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Rumour has it that Chris Silverwood has been asked what team he's going to pick to win the Third Test.  His answer was 'India'. 
  • Bag of shite!
  • Saqib Mahmood to come in for Wood potentially? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    But who is there to shore up the top order?

And therein lies the problem.

Think Haseeb is worth giving another chance to over Sibley, but then Crawley is woefully.out of form too, who do you pick at 3?  
  • MrOneLung said:

And therein lies the problem.

Think Haseeb is worth giving another chance to over Sibley, but then Crawley is woefully.out of form too, who do you pick at 3?  
    The likes of Pope and Malan have been mentioned, though you're going on their red ball form from several weeks ago...

It seems like a quaint old world where red ball cricket continued through the height of the summer, and players could earn Test callups based on their run scoring in the county Championship...
  • To be fair the likes of Stoneman got in the team after the weight of county runs and he didn’t last very long 
  • Burns (for now) stays as does Hameed (to open) and the man I've said for over a year gets his opportunity to bat at 3 - namely Ollie Pope
  • Burns duck was his 5th in a calendar year equalling the record set by Atherton and I think another Indian player 
  • No-one told me I could "possibly" influence a TEST MATCH with my infamous rain dance ! 

Bit late now though....
  • MrOneLung said:

Shore up? I wouldn't trust this lot with a Lilo!
    They are consistently poor at this level. I'm not sure if the different versions of the game that they all seem to be involved in is screwing them up? Certainly doesn't seem to be helping. They look nowhere near it mentally.
    Today reminded me of the dark days of the early to mid nineties. Shocking!

• Sponsored links:

• Full of optimism Sunday evening and first mins of play on day 5. 45 mins of bad play to follow and we’re the worst team ever? 
    Funny old game. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Burns duck was his 5th in a calendar year equalling the record set by Atherton and I think another Indian player 
    Must be Agarkar, that picture of his recent innings when they're playing Oz is hilarious 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Burns duck was his 5th in a calendar year equalling the record set by Atherton and I think another Indian player 
    The fact he's our second top run scorer this calendar year says it all. Root's batting papering over all sorts of cracks and failings
  • I have 2 tickets for next Thirsday at Leeds I can't use. £45 each (not Lords prices!). Does anybody want? 
    I haad tickets for Thursday and Friday but can only make Friday now 
  • Looking at the county averages, the player with the best average and most runs after playing a decent number of innings is Durham's David Beddingham, an England qualified Saffer. Div 2, but Durham runs are usually worth more. Sadly it seems he wants to play for SA.

• Throwing any new player in at this stage without having played any red ball for ages would be wrong in my view and could damage a prospect long term. 
  • redman said:
    I have 2 tickets for next Thirsday at Leeds I can't use. £45 each (not Lords prices!). Does anybody want? 
    I haad tickets for Thursday and Friday but can only make Friday now 
    Nice to see you posting on here Rory
  • Root (to paraphrase) "I made a few mistakes tactically, could have managed that a bit differently, I'll learn from that and do better" 
    Yeah right, cos you've clearly learned so much in 4.5 years at the helm.  Congrats on your first innings but the rest was piss weak jank.
    It's not all down to him tho is it?
    Anderson (heresy alert) bowled really well first innings, first spell excepted when he was too short, too wide just to keep the score down.  But 2nd innings he simply wasn't at it.  When Shami & Bumrah were in, averaging 11 and 2 let's not forget, all that revenge laden bouncer stuff was pathetic childish and not even very well done; pointless too given the relatively easy pace of the wicket. Best "revenge" is bowling them out with fast straight accurate stuff they're simply not capable of keeping out but y'know Jimmy got a couple of medals so we're gonna be all aggressive and vengeful and that... wankers
    Jimmy's not the only senior player who got the hell out of Dodge yesterday morning.  Bairstow and Buttler have seen and done enough in Test cricket to know they were pissing it away in pitiful fashion.  Have they the balls to pull Jimmy and Root together and offer their twopenn'eth?  Either they didn't pipe up or JR ain't got the maturity to listen, Jimmy's a grumpy sod at the best of times but when there's a test match to win there can be no sacred cows.

Yesterday ranks right down with the Headingley humiliation to that moderate West Indies side a coupla summers ago. This India side is streets ahead of those WI part-timers and they may have regularly taken wickets in the 80 odd overs they might have had but England ought to have been chasing 180 odd in 2.5 sessions and that should be no cause for alarm.

Talk of lack or preparation is a simplistic red herring.  India's squad ain't played any more red ball cricket recently and they're doing OK in unfamiliar conditions to boot.  They'd have been much closer to winning the first match if their over rate in the first innings hadn't been so dreadful.
    The factor most likely to prevent a 3 or 4 nil Indian victory will be the weather.  Malan or Pope or Vince might be a tad more robust than Sibley but the rest of this test match summer is gonna be grim viewing
  • edited August 2021
    Billy_Mix said:
    Root (to paraphrase) "I made a few mistakes tactically, could have managed that a bit differently, I'll learn from that and do better" 
    Yeah right, cos you've clearly learned so much in 4.5 years at the helm.  Congrats on your first innings but the rest was piss weak jank.
    It's not all down to him tho is it?
    Anderson (heresy alert) bowled really well first innings, first spell excepted when he was too short, too wide just to keep the score down.  But 2nd innings he simply wasn't at it.  When Shami & Bumrah were in, averaging 11 and 2 let's not forget, all that revenge laden bouncer stuff was pathetic childish and not even very well done; pointless too given the relatively easy pace of the wicket. Best "revenge" is bowling them out with fast straight accurate stuff they're simply not capable of keeping out but y'know Jimmy got a couple of medals so we're gonna be all aggressive and vengeful and that... wankers
    Jimmy's not the only senior player who got the hell out of Dodge yesterday morning.  Bairstow and Buttler have seen and done enough in Test cricket to know they were pissing it away in pitiful fashion.  Have they the balls to pull Jimmy and Root together and offer their twopenn'eth?  Either they didn't pipe up or JR ain't got the maturity to listen, Jimmy's a grumpy sod at the best of times but when there's a test match to win there can be no sacred cows.

Yesterday ranks right down with the Headingley humiliation to that moderate West Indies side a coupla summers ago. This India side is streets ahead of those WI part-timers and they may have regularly taken wickets in the 80 odd overs they might have had but England ought to have been chasing 180 odd in 2.5 sessions and that should be no cause for alarm.

Talk of lack or preparation is a simplistic red herring.  India's squad ain't played any more red ball cricket recently and they're doing OK in unfamiliar conditions to boot.  They'd have been much closer to winning the first match if their over rate in the first innings hadn't been so dreadful.
    The factor most likely to prevent a 3 or 4 nil Indian victory will be the weather.  Malan or Pope or Vince might be a tad more robust than Sibley but the rest of this test match summer is gonna be grim viewing
    Yes, it was baffling what was going in yesterday morning. Whose idea were the tactics, did the other players agree with Root, did the 83 analysts working for England come up with the strategy or try to tell Root to change things during a drinks break or one of the endless breaks between overs teams have? Why didn't Silverwood send out a drink for one of the bowlers with an instruction?

And winding up India in the 3rd innings of a Test match is dubious anyway when we have to go out there and bat again against 4 very good pace bowlers. It's like bouncing Michael Holding, Curtley Ambrose or Waqar Younis and feeling smug about it.

And one look at the England scorecard shows 1 clean bowled, 3 lbws, 3 caught behinds and 2 caught at 1st slip. India may have roughed up the England players and given them the verbals, but the dismissals were from conventional cricket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crawley and sibley dropped from the squad, Malan and pope recalled. 

• As much as I have been critical about the way Malan selfishly plays T20, the fact is that whilst only averaging 27.84 in his previous incarnation as a Test batsman, he did score 383 runs at 42.55 in the 2017/18 Ashes series in Australia which probably makes him, in the land of the blind, king!
  • edited August 2021
    Not really England news, but it's not Kent or 100 related either, and I wasn't going to reopen the sleeping Surrey thread!

Mark Stoneman has joined Middlesex on a 3 year deal. Yet another of the top three England have tried (and rejected) in recent years
  • once the 'Undred is done, James Vince surely merits a recall .. unless he is in the dog house for reasons that will remain hidden
  • Crawley and sibley dropped from the squad, Malan and pope recalled. 

Pope hasn't been in good form in his 2 games since injury in the RLODC. I wouldn't chuck him in. Would go with Malan. 

Not something I thought I would be saying a few weeks ago.
  • I do question the logic of recalling a 33 year old with a test average of 27. Are there literally no decent Englishmen that bat 3? 
  • Also don’t think recalling joe denly jnr in vince is the way to go either. 
  • Also don’t think recalling joe denly jnr in vince is the way to go either. 
    this surely needs a serious edit  :*
  • I do question the logic of recalling a 33 year old with a test average of 27. Are there literally no decent Englishmen that bat 3? 
    Difficult to make an argument for anyone when they haven't played red ball for so long. But I think they do have one eye on the Ashes hence the recall of Malan. The other thing is that they probably don't want two relatively unexposed bats in the top three.

I said six months ago that there was no way we could go to Australia with Burns, Sibley and Crawley as our top three. The time to  experiment really was at the beginning of the summer. 
    Difficult to make an argument for anyone when they haven't played red ball for so long. But I think they do have one eye on the Ashes hence the recall of Malan. The other thing is that they probably don't want two relatively unexposed bats in the top three.

I said six months ago that there was no way we could go to Australia with Burns, Sibley and Crawley as our top three. The time to  experiment really was at the beginning of the summer. 
    one thing that Malan has which too many younger players lack, is a decent basic technique .. if your basic technique is poor, the painstaking work of video analysts allied to clever bowling will quickly find you out in 'red ball' cricket