Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coincidences

Comments

• Options
    I married a girl from Glasgow who had a Sister who married a bloke from Manchester. They came down to visit a while ago as Brother in Law wanted to visit Commonwealth War Graves site in Surrey. We went onto the Commissions website beforehand as he wanted to find details of his Uncle who was shot down over Germany during a sortie and killed.
    We found his information and whilst on there I said I'd look for info on my Great Uncle who also died whilst on a mission over Germany. 
    I tapped in all his details but it came up on the same page as Bro in laws uncle. We thought I made a mistake and put details in again. To our disbelief it transpired they were on the same plane in a 3 man crew which was shot down that night over Hannover. 
    So one Uncle from Manchester and one Uncle from Plymouth joined a newly formed small but elite Squadron in Lincolnshire to become colleagues and met their death together. 
    Forty Five years later Two Girls from Glasgow married a Londoner and a Mancunian who had the Uncles on the same flight. 
    Winner - Close thread
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Some time around 2001, a girl named Laura Buxton released a helium balloon with her name and address on it, and a note saying "please return to Laura Buxton", from her grandparents' house in Staffordshire.  Laura Buxton was a normal, fair haired, Year Five Primary school girl, who owned a three-year old black old labrador, and a rabbit.  All very, very normal. 

The balloon flew 140 miles, on a circuitous route, which ended up in the hands of a girl in Milton Lilbourne, Wiltshire, who followed the instructions and contacted the balloon's original owner.  All very, very normal.  

Except that the girl who retrieved the balloon was also a fair haired, year five primary school girl, who owned a three-year old black labrador and a rabbit.  And her name was Laura Buxton.  

The two Laura Buxtons arranged to meet.  And when they saw each other they noticed: they were the same height, had their hair in the same style, each was wearing jeans and a pink jumper, and they were both carrying with them a pet each owned that they hadn't told the other about: guinea pigs with identical markings.  
    Except the balloon and note was actually found by a farmer in a hedge. Also, one Laura was ten and the other was nine.
    Yes, that's why I said "ended up in the hands of..." and didn't claim that she found it. 

And I didn't mention their ages. 
  • Options
    That’s brilliant @Penfolds Perm
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    A dozen or so years ago I was put in touch with a lady on Facebook who had a sibling of my newly qualified Therapy dog Bailey.
    I’m now in contact with all the owners of siblings of my dogs but back then I thought it was a little strange. 
    Anyhow, I asked why and apparently there was a Charlton connection so we exchanged messages about the dogs etc for a day or so.
    After a week or so the lady asked if she could call me so we exchanged numbers we spoke about the dogs before getting onto football, curious I asked about the Charlton connection as she lives on the west coast of Scotland and she told me her dad used to play for us and he’s in the house now would I like to say hello, putting the phone onto speaker call an obviously elderly gentlemen a voice said “hello Ray” having no idea who idea who I asked who it was the answer came back “You might know me as Sailor Brown” followed by a roar of laughter. 

Just spoke to her today, she has a lot of love for the club and sends you all her best wishes. 
    Sadly she lost trust in our ownership from the RD days, which is my personal belief in why many of her dads memorabilia went elsewhere. 
    She told me a while back about a previous visit (anniversary of the Jimmy Seed Stand?) where her family was invited down to take part but despite reassurances was left with hotel and travel expenses by our illustrious CEO of the day. This was Sailor Brown’s last visit I believe before his passing so the memories are understandably a little tainted although she remembered the welcome everyone got from the stands. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Last season in the premier days I’d been out to Amsterdam for a few days and whilst there England were playing Netherlands in a friendly. During the match there was a young kid behind who kept kicking my chair, annoyed me so much I managed to move at half time. 

A few days later I went to Reading for our match, after the game I got a shuttle bus back to town and sat down and noticed someone kicking my chair, turned round and it was the same fucking kid from Amsterdam!
    Well you do insist on bringing your child to footy 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Last season in the premier days I’d been out to Amsterdam for a few days and whilst there England were playing Netherlands in a friendly. During the match there was a young kid behind who kept kicking my chair, annoyed me so much I managed to move at half time. 

A few days later I went to Reading for our match, after the game I got a shuttle bus back to town and sat down and noticed someone kicking my chair, turned round and it was the same fucking kid from Amsterdam!
      Luckily for anyone that ever sits in front of my kids they've had it drummed into them how annoying this is so not to do it. I even made sure our seats in the family stand are in the back row of the front section to avoid this happening to me, drives me up the wall. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    buckshee said:

Luckily for anyone that ever sits in front of my kids they've had it drummed into them how annoying this is so not to do it. I even made sure our seats in the family stand are in the back row of the front section to avoid this happening to me, drives me up the wall. 
    "Drummed into them"  :D
  • Options
    edited September 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    buckshee said:
    buckshee said:

But how many parents are oblivious to their kid doing it and fail to attempt to stop em , I used to end up putting my leg in the way if one of my runts would continue to do it .
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    buckshee said:

But how many parents are oblivious to their kid doing it and fail to attempt to stop em , I used to end up putting my leg in the way if one of my runts would continue to do it .
    Agreed. Winds me up enormously on flights even more so when the parents flatly deny it. Mind you, the same sort of parents a friend who is a teacher has to deal with - speaks to parents about child's behaviour and the response is 'no he f'in didn't!'!
  • Options
    The denial of their own kids wrongdoing is far too often , my little Johnny wouldn’t do that , no like you he’s a Cnut 
    Absolutely!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Everytime I open this thread, I find that someone has posted about a new coincidence. Spooky or what?
    You as well? 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Listening to Bob Mortimer book The Satsuma Complex on a dog walk with Magnus, at the exact time that i’m picking up a dog 💩 the dongle was found!
  • Options
    Just sitting here looking at online banking, going through the Lloyds App and see it gives an option to pay cheques in electronically and thought to myself "who pays cheques in these days?". Reach up to mantelpiece to get a letter my Mrs must've put up there from this earlier today, open it, it's a cheque for a road tax refund on a car I recently got rid of. 

Straight back on the app to pay it in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One what?
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Chizz said:
    Maarten de Jonge - a Dutch cyclist - was due to fly on the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in March 2014 to compete in the Tour de Taiwan.  At the last minute, he decided to change his flight, leaving an hour later, in order to avoid a lengthy layover.  Flight MH370 disappeared over the Indian Ocean.  

There are a lot of tales about people making last-minute changes, thereby missing a fatal flight.  What makes de Jonge's story so remarkable is that it happened again a few weeks later.  

He was due to fly on MH17, but, again, made a last-minute change of plan and took a later flight, saving about $400.  And his life.  MH17 was shot down over Eastern Ukraine.  
    That’s some final destination shit right there
    Would anyone be brave enough to sit next to him on a flight now?? 
  • Options
    Bobby Farrell, the bloke in Boney M, died on 30 December in St Petersburg, Russia. One of their most famous songs was about Grigori Rasputin who died on 30 December in St Petersburg, Russia (though there was a difference of 94 years).
  • Options
    TimAddick said:
    I was sitting down for Christmas dinner and had my mobile in my left front jeans pocket. It was first Christmas after my grandson Patryk had passed.
    I heard a person talking on my mobile and when I pulled out my phone, it was playing Patryk's memorial service. 

Sorry for your loss.  That is a lovely coincidence.
  • Options
    Just checking yesterday’s football results and had a look at the AFC Wimbledon game and saw that Jamie Proctor got sent off for Barrow. At the same time herself is watching a police programme on TV, they named the main suspect as Jamie Proctor.
  • Options
    Listening to Bob Mortimer book The Satsuma Complex on a dog walk with Magnus, at the exact time that i’m picking up a dog 💩 the dongle was found!
    This finally makes sense now that I have just finished that book. 
  • Options
    The football team I support sacked a manger very early in the season and supported a journeyman cheap option. The team are now in a relegation battle

Cheap journeyman and relegation, what a coincidence