Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coincidences

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Actually I think I’ve got the wrong poster? Have I? Apologies I have! 

Made me LOL again
  • Options
    Stig said:
    lolwray said:
    When I lived in Sidcup I'd walk the dog at the same time every morning and would say good morning to a fellow dog walker .He had a v distinctive appearance ( beard and bald) 2 days later I walked past him in Singapore 
    Singapore!?!?!? Blimey, when I had a dog I just used to walk him to the park and back.
    The dog needed to lose weight.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Maarten de Jonge - a Dutch cyclist - was due to fly on the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in March 2014 to compete in the Tour de Taiwan.  At the last minute, he decided to change his flight, leaving an hour later, in order to avoid a lengthy layover.  Flight MH370 disappeared over the Indian Ocean.  

There are a lot of tales about people making last-minute changes, thereby missing a fatal flight.  What makes de Jonge's story so remarkable is that it happened again a few weeks later.  

He was due to fly on MH17, but, again, made a last-minute change of plan and took a later flight, saving about $400.  And his life.  MH17 was shot down over Eastern Ukraine.  
    That’s some final destination shit right there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some time around 2001, a girl named Laura Buxton released a helium balloon with her name and address on it, and a note saying "please return to Laura Buxton", from her grandparents' house in Staffordshire.  Laura Buxton was a normal, fair haired, Year Five Primary school girl, who owned a three-year old black old labrador, and a rabbit.  All very, very normal. 

The balloon flew 140 miles, on a circuitous route, which ended up in the hands of a girl in Milton Lilbourne, Wiltshire, who followed the instructions and contacted the balloon's original owner.  All very, very normal.  

Except that the girl who retrieved the balloon was also a fair haired, year five primary school girl, who owned a three-year old black labrador and a rabbit.  And her name was Laura Buxton.  

The two Laura Buxtons arranged to meet.  And when they saw each other they noticed: they were the same height, had their hair in the same style, each was wearing jeans and a pink jumper, and they were both carrying with them a pet each owned that they hadn't told the other about: guinea pigs with identical markings.  
  • Options
    Had a beer last night and asked my pal at breakfast if he had any paracetamol. He said he had Nurofen, but I can’t take those as get a reaction to ibroprufen. My phone is charging back in the room.

after breakfast go back to the room, later on I pick up my phone and look at Facebook. First thing on my timeline is an advert for Nurofen. 
    That’s not a coincidence, that’s Zuck hiding under you bed. 
  • Options
    Billyboy said:

Didn’t happen, unless she wants a deformed baby thanks to drinking whilst pregnant. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Some time around 2001, a girl named Laura Buxton released a helium balloon with her name and address on it, and a note saying "please return to Laura Buxton", from her grandparents' house in Staffordshire.  Laura Buxton was a normal, fair haired, Year Five Primary school girl, who owned a three-year old black old labrador, and a rabbit.  All very, very normal. 

The balloon flew 140 miles, on a circuitous route, which ended up in the hands of a girl in Milton Lilbourne, Wiltshire, who followed the instructions and contacted the balloon's original owner.  All very, very normal.  

Except that the girl who retrieved the balloon was also a fair haired, year five primary school girl, who owned a three-year old black labrador and a rabbit.  And her name was Laura Buxton.  

The two Laura Buxtons arranged to meet.  And when they saw each other they noticed: they were the same height, had their hair in the same style, each was wearing jeans and a pink jumper, and they were both carrying with them a pet each owned that they hadn't told the other about: guinea pigs with identical markings.  

I've seen a tv programme where this was mentioned, exactly as you said, same names etc  but the girls lived in America. 
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    So, here’s one from me.

About a year or so ago, I received a parcel outside our front door. The driver had just left it and driven off. The address was ever so slightly similar to ours, but definitely not one you’d get confused with if you read it properly.

Anyway, looked up the address and it was in a development about a mile and an half away, so jumped in the car and delivered it to the correct address. A lady answered the door and was really grateful as it was some decorations for her son’s first birthday. A brief chat and another thank you from her, and that was that. 

Now fast forward to this week. We’ve got our house on the market and had one viewing on Tuesday morning as they couldn’t make it this weekend. I took the viewing as it was easier to manage on this occasion, but the agent would normally conduct them for us. So, I open the door and there stands the very same woman who I delivered the parcel to last year! 

Now I feel bad as she’s not sold her place and we’ve had an offer from a first time buyer which we’ll likely accept, but we really wanted it to be her family that ended up moving here to almost “complete” the whole thing. Crazy. 
    Sounds like you have a stalker if im honest mate.

you should shag her and find out
    Just keep your pet rabbit safe. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I've seen a tv programme where this was mentioned, exactly as you said, same names etc  but the girls lived in America. 
    It's been told a few times on American websites. It was originally reported in the Swindon Advertiser. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I HAVE to resurrect this thread for this story that has literally just happened to me... two years ago, I had been chatting up this girl online (met on a dating app) we chatted for a month or so, we never actually met but texted every day for a while, until it tailed off (as online dating tends to do)

cut to today. Me and the boys from work (all non-Charlton fans except me) went to a few games last year as a work outing and had a great time, so had decided to make today our first game of the season to come down to the Valley...

This morning about ten ish, I get a random text from an unknown number and guess what, it's her. We chat a bit and catch up... it's totally out of the blue and for whatever reason we had never actually met up or anything originally, but the chemistry was still there - I showed my buddies the texts and her picture - all good right ;) It gets to the point where we are about to leave and I mention that I have to go because I'm about to hop on an underground train so my signal ain't gonna make it... (didn't say more than that at all)

I don't think much more of it, lovely to hear from her and turns out we are both single so i'm expecting maybe now is a better time, and maybe we can connect... but i'm excited to get to the game so it goes out of my mind.

So on the way back after the game, we pop back into the weatherspoons in Stratford for a couple of jars to celebrate the win and a good day out. 

We have a few beers, few laughs, usual stuff, and at some point this cute blonde catches my eye - i point her out to one of my mates, she seems familiar but I can't quite place it... 5 mintes later then she comes over.

Yeah it was her.

She lives in Rochester (i'm in deepest Essex) She had the day out planned in advance same as we had, she had met up with a friend who lived nearby and decided to go for a drink - she chose today of all days in the last 2 years to message me. And there she fucking is standing in front of me. 

It has absolutely blown my mind just the sequence of events that had to happen (and yes I know coincidences dn't work like that but still) Fuck.

Did you give her one 👍
    Ye of little faith. An Addick can give two, three, or even more. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I HAVE to resurrect this thread for this story that has literally just happened to me... two years ago, I had been chatting up this girl online (met on a dating app) we chatted for a month or so, we never actually met but texted every day for a while, until it tailed off (as online dating tends to do)

cut to today. Me and the boys from work (all non-Charlton fans except me) went to a few games last year as a work outing and had a great time, so had decided to make today our first game of the season to come down to the Valley...

This morning about ten ish, I get a random text from an unknown number and guess what, it's her. We chat a bit and catch up... it's totally out of the blue and for whatever reason we had never actually met up or anything originally, but the chemistry was still there - I showed my buddies the texts and her picture - all good right ;) It gets to the point where we are about to leave and I mention that I have to go because I'm about to hop on an underground train so my signal ain't gonna make it... (didn't say more than that at all)

I don't think much more of it, lovely to hear from her and turns out we are both single so i'm expecting maybe now is a better time, and maybe we can connect... but i'm excited to get to the game so it goes out of my mind.

So on the way back after the game, we pop back into the weatherspoons in Stratford for a couple of jars to celebrate the win and a good day out. 

We have a few beers, few laughs, usual stuff, and at some point this cute blonde catches my eye - i point her out to one of my mates, she seems familiar but I can't quite place it... 5 mintes later then she comes over.

Yeah it was her.

She lives in Rochester (i'm in deepest Essex) She had the day out planned in advance same as we had, she had met up with a friend who lived nearby and decided to go for a drink - she chose today of all days in the last 2 years to message me. And there she fucking is standing in front of me. 

It has absolutely blown my mind just the sequence of events that had to happen (and yes I know coincidences dn't work like that but still) Fuck.

Did you give her one 👍
    Ye of little faith. An Addick can give two, three, or even more. 
    Is that goals away in every game…?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Actually I think I’ve got the wrong poster? Have I? Apologies I have! 

I don't think that was me although I did post on that thread... 

I just thought my story was a bit of a coincidence... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
    John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
    John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday. Both were shot in the head.

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
    Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners. Both were succeeded by Southerners. Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
    Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
    Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names. Both names comprise fifteen letters.

Booth ran from the theatre and was caught in a warehouse.
    Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theatre.

Booth and Oswald were both assassinated before their trials. 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
    John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
    John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday. Both were shot in the head.

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
    Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners. Both were succeeded by Southerners. Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
    Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
    Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names. Both names comprise fifteen letters.

Booth ran from the theatre and was caught in a warehouse.
    Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theatre.

Booth and Oswald were both assassinated before their trials. 
    A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland. You can guess the rest. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Maarten de Jonge - a Dutch cyclist - was due to fly on the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in March 2014 to compete in the Tour de Taiwan.  At the last minute, he decided to change his flight, leaving an hour later, in order to avoid a lengthy layover.  Flight MH370 disappeared over the Indian Ocean.  

There are a lot of tales about people making last-minute changes, thereby missing a fatal flight.  What makes de Jonge's story so remarkable is that it happened again a few weeks later.  

He was due to fly on MH17, but, again, made a last-minute change of plan and took a later flight, saving about $400.  And his life.  MH17 was shot down over Eastern Ukraine.  

Wiki - It has never been independently confirmed that de Jonge ever booked tickets for either flight.  According to Slate, de Jonge only mentioned he wanted to fly on the day MH17 crashed, but he never mentioned that he booked a ticket for that flight. Slate also mentioned that there was no reason for de Jonge to book a flight on MH370.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Wiki - It has never been independently confirmed that de Jonge ever booked tickets for either flight.  According to Slate, de Jonge only mentioned he wanted to fly on the day MH17 crashed, but he never mentioned that he booked a ticket for that flight. Slate also mentioned that there was no reason for de Jonge to book a flight on MH370.
    How could anyone doubt Chizz and facts?!
  • Options
    Now that's a good one.
  • Options
    I married a girl from Glasgow who had a Sister who married a bloke from Manchester. They came down to visit a while ago as Brother in Law wanted to visit Commonwealth War Graves site in Surrey. We went onto the Commissions website beforehand as he wanted to find details of his Uncle who was shot down over Germany during a sortie and killed.
    We found his information and whilst on there I said I'd look for info on my Great Uncle who also died whilst on a mission over Germany. 
    I tapped in all his details but it came up on the same page as Bro in laws uncle. We thought I made a mistake and put details in again. To our disbelief it transpired they were on the same plane in a 3 man crew which was shot down that night over Hannover. 
    So one Uncle from Manchester and one Uncle from Plymouth joined a newly formed small but elite Squadron in Lincolnshire to become colleagues and met their death together. 
    Forty Five years later Two Girls from Glasgow married a Londoner and a Mancunian who had the Uncles on the same flight. 
    Wow
  • Options
    I married a girl from Glasgow who had a Sister who married a bloke from Manchester. They came down to visit a while ago as Brother in Law wanted to visit Commonwealth War Graves site in Surrey. We went onto the Commissions website beforehand as he wanted to find details of his Uncle who was shot down over Germany during a sortie and killed.
    We found his information and whilst on there I said I'd look for info on my Great Uncle who also died whilst on a mission over Germany. 
    I tapped in all his details but it came up on the same page as Bro in laws uncle. We thought I made a mistake and put details in again. To our disbelief it transpired they were on the same plane in a 3 man crew which was shot down that night over Hannover. 
    So one Uncle from Manchester and one Uncle from Plymouth joined a newly formed small but elite Squadron in Lincolnshire to become colleagues and met their death together. 
    Forty Five years later Two Girls from Glasgow married a Londoner and a Mancunian who had the Uncles on the same flight. 
    That’s amazing. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Except the balloon and note was actually found by a farmer in a hedge. Also, one Laura was ten and the other was nine.