Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Strikers miss sitter shocker

https://youtu.be/ceHZ3BtL3So 

I got nostalgic when one of the Bolton players skinned The Herminator
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Strikers miss sitter shocker

https://youtu.be/ceHZ3BtL3So 

When it’s your team, it is so frustrating, but watching this has had me chuckling out loud. 

I think that Bowyers’ frustration is probably the fact that he thought he was assembling a number of players that had played at Championship and top League One level and should be turning it on each game, knowing that they are better than their performances. The video is a stark reminder that the best can air shot, miss from 3 yards etc. Players also perform differently at different clubs, depending on playing style, management style and how they gel with their team mates. Most of that done on the training ground, which we barely see.

Us fans suffer from being bought into YT highlight videos which tend to make the average Joe look like Pele. Those one in every thousand passes that look a Worldie or a sensational goal which belies the one in five or six goal ratio...all unhelpful in the grand scheme, as our expectation levels become too high. If the likes of Gilbey/Oshilaja have spent most of their career at League One or League Two level, it is because they are that standard of player and not the Champ or Prem (for those of us that have been following long enough) have been used to seeing.

This creates an environment which makes it difficult for a player to build any form of confidence or to settle down, unless they hit the ground running. Washington is a good example of this. Not a brilliant standard professional footballer, but works incredibly hard and was fortunate to bag some early goals. His record is less under the microscope as a result.

I just wish pros would leave social media alone, particularly when not in the greatest form, as it can’t help.

I hope we turn on some sort of performance for the cameras tonight...will give everybody a lift!
  • Football is a funny game at times. I would happily say that if Josh Davison was unable to get a loan move, I.e like Albie Morgan we would see him starting in front of Bogle. 

Whoever mentioned it previously I expect to see Bogle dropped from the first team when he get 1 match away from a contract extension.
  • Williams and Maddison need to be on the pitch together from the start. Why you would have these two and not play them is beyond me. We play best when attacking with quick passing, ie against Wimbledon for the final 20 mins.
    Could not disagree more. Williams is very poor when he starts a game, but is excellent when he comes on as a sub.
    It would be nice if when he does come on, Maddison is still on the pitch, especially when we need a goal.
  • edited January 2021
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    All this use of Pratley at RCB and Oshilaja not being used coupled with talk of a new CB being priority, what's Charlie Barker done wrong? He started this season well and has disappeared!

I think we've all been omitting him from our squads! Bowyer included... But surely he should be in/around it!
    Heard he's miles off a regular first team player atm
    How can he be miles off when he's played a few games and never looked out of place? Odoh who played against West Brom in the cup last season is someone I'd call miles off. No one is expecting him to be a regular but it's surprising he's not been on the bench at all given the situation. 
  • Sage said:
    I think the one that has hurt Bogle the most was getting dragged off away at Swindon.

He scored to get us back on level terms, but what everyone seems to focus on was the miss which would’ve put us 2-1 up before half time.

He then gets subbed off at half time because of that miss, and okay Aneke scored to put us 2-1 up, but so did Bogle.

As strikers, they’re going to miss chances and yes he’s been poor, and yes they’ve been some big chances where he should’ve scored, but if you are going to take off a striker every single time he misses a chance, you’re making a rod for your own back. The confidence Bogle would’ve got from scoring that day would’ve gone and only felt worse than before the moment he got taken off.

The pressure is then huge every time an opportunity presents itself, which is rare because we don’t create many. So if he doesn’t take it, in the back of his mind he’s already coming off. That’s big pressure and some players can’t handle it.
    I don't agree with the abuse but he simply isn't good enough. 2 goals and 1 assist in 15 for us simply isn't good enough for a starting striker, I feel sorry for the guy, I think he tries and wants to do well, but just isn't promotion-chasing material. I assume Bowyer will keep him around the place for Chuks' inevitable next injury,  but once Schwartz is match fit I hope we don't see much more from Bogle.
  • Talal said:
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    All this use of Pratley at RCB and Oshilaja not being used coupled with talk of a new CB being priority, what's Charlie Barker done wrong? He started this season well and has disappeared!

I think we've all been omitting him from our squads! Bowyer included... But surely he should be in/around it!
    How can he be miles off when he's played a few games and never looked out of place? Odoh who played against West Brom in the cup last season is someone I'd call miles off. No one is expecting him to be a regular but it's surprising he's not been on the bench at all given the situation. 
    100pc. Using youth in a crisis and not to to slowly embed into the first team are very different strategies. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Darren Bent once missed a sitter which Harry Redknapps mrs couldn't miss... Ok that point isn't a great one as he scored regularly and was a goalscorer for us and even Spurs when allowed. But people moaning about a miss that a striker should score everytime, or anyone... this is football that is impossible, i am sure we have seen even the most prolific striker miss a complete sitter. I am not going to look but i am sure you could do it with Kane, or any other world class striker these things happen. Even more so, if the player is lacking confidence and getting limited chances.

Although i agree from what i see Aneke is a much better version than Bogle, but people seem to be dwelling on a missed chance or even a few when we aren't exactly creating tonnes. Bogle isn't a bad player, just lack of confidence and he doesn't really suit a team who isn't playing well. Schwartz might be the answer, but again we need to sort the rest of the team out and then whoever is the main striker might get more chances and a bit less pressure to go with it. 
  • Sage said:
    I’m not saying he should be playing, I’m not saying you can make excuses for the miss at Swindon, he had just scored so should’ve been confident but I assume he momentarily took his eye off the ball and looked at the keeper as it was coming to him, that’s what caused him to miss it completely.

Since then, any and every opportunity he has had means he has to score and that’s huge pressure. I agree he hasn’t been good enough, but for a striker especially, confidence is a massive part of the game. If he is suffering from a lack of it, which he looks to me like he is, he needs good management and support, not the abuse he has been getting.
     That is the problem I think. This fella is not an out and out striker.
     It's so much more than just scoring goals. It's being a constant menace. Making intelligent runs and finding space in dangerous areas. Do that enough and the goals will come.
    Bogle has none of the attributes to make him a regular goal scorer as far as I can see. And when the odd chance does fall his way his decision making is woeful.

I know he scored a few for Grimsby but he was hardly prolific. And that's what we need him to be,especially when he's the furthest forward player.

I'm done with him, and I think given the chance Bowyer would be too.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If Barker had been a new signing and turned in the performances he did against Doncaster and Lincoln he would have got pelters.

Rightfully he didnt.  Probably for the 1st time in 2 or 3 years we have people not playing, or even making the bench, at all and every single one of them gets better the more often they don't play.

Gilbey was poor in his second game but the longer he was injured the better he got.  "As soon as Gilbey is back etc etc.  The same has happened to Oshilaja. A lot of people demanding he plays are the same ones that said they hope he never plays again in October.  Purrington should" never ware the shirt again" Blackpool away, now the same people wonder why he didn't start at Hull.

Fickle is the word I think. 
    With Barker its also worth remembering he's not played competitive Football since mid-November when we beat Gillingham in the FA Youth Cup

There have been no U18 games, and no U23 games since then so probably off the pace with match fitness anyway, partly through no ones fault at all
  • Sage said:
    I’m not saying he should be playing, I’m not saying you can make excuses for the miss at Swindon, he had just scored so should’ve been confident but I assume he momentarily took his eye off the ball and looked at the keeper as it was coming to him, that’s what caused him to miss it completely.

Since then, any and every opportunity he has had means he has to score and that’s huge pressure. I agree he hasn’t been good enough, but for a striker especially, confidence is a massive part of the game. If he is suffering from a lack of it, which he looks to me like he is, he needs good management and support, not the abuse he has been getting.
     It's so much more than just scoring goals. It's being a constant menace. Making intelligent runs and finding space in dangerous areas. Do that enough and the goals will come.
    Bogle has none of the attributes to make him a regular goal scorer as far as I can see. And when the odd chance does fall his way his decision making is woeful.

I know he scored a few for Grimsby but he was hardly prolific. And that's what we need him to be,especially when he's the furthest forward player.

If everything else was equal but he scored the 2 sitters, his goal a Blackpool wasn't disallowed and he took and scored the pen against Gillingham (which he should never have been involved in). 

Would people still be as critical of his around performance?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

If everything else was equal but he scored the 2 sitters, his goal a Blackpool wasn't disallowed and he took and scored the pen against Gillingham (which he should never have been involved in). 

That was Inniss wasnt it?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If Barker had been a new signing and turned in the performances he did against Doncaster and Lincoln he would have got pelters.

Rightfully he didnt.  Probably for the 1st time in 2 or 3 years we have people not playing, or even making the bench, at all and every single one of them gets better the more often they don't play.

Gilbey was poor in his second game but the longer he was injured the better he got.  "As soon as Gilbey is back etc etc.  The same has happened to Oshilaja. A lot of people demanding he plays are the same ones that said they hope he never plays again in October.  Purrington should" never ware the shirt again" Blackpool away, now the same people wonder why he didn't start at Hull.

A handful of fickle people on here being OTT don’t speak for the fan base. 

Oshilaja is a decent CB. He’s played shit before but wasn’t we playing him out of position? Also, he’s behind Innis, Famewo, Pearce in the pecking order but with two of those out injured, and himself now being fit, he should be starting. Not Pratley at CB. 

I’ve personally never got the Purrington bashing and Gilbey was good before his injury, so i was expecting better things from the latter when he returned. 
    Your 1st sentence is obviously 100% correct but when it's the same 10 or 20 people commenting on it is right to point out the hypocrisy of it.

"Gilbey was good before his injury" is something I have seen repeated over and over again.  He played 2 league games IIRC, one he was slightly better than OK, the other he had a western.

Gilbey was good for MK Don's, and before, but I think "he was good for US, pre injury" is a liberal interpretation of the truth, at best. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

Yep. Ok he's not an out and out striker.

Another annoying thing is that when the ball is played up to him it never sticks and is back down our throat in no time.
    If he can't be trusted to score goals or hold the ball up then what is his purpose?
  • Vfrf said:
    I wonder if those who criticise Bowyer for the way he's spoken about Bogle ever think about the fact that there's multiple threads on here digging him out for being 'one of the worst' players to ever wear the shirt, expressing joy at him possibly leaving, looking to see his contract cancelled after 3 months and just generally insulting him. We know full well that Bogle looks at social media posts about himself and is hurt by the reactions he's been getting because he's made that clear on his Twitter account, yet the digs continue. If you think that Lee Bowyer is capable of ruining a player with a comment after a match pointing out he missed a chance then maybe it's also on you to take responsibility for how you talk about people who you know are likely looking at what you're writing. You don't have to be super positive about every player we have, but considering the fact we know Bogle is taking the grief he gets on social media badly I reckon people offering to drive him to another club, calling him shit and saying he can't play football does plenty of damage to his confidence. Some of the responses he gets on Twitter are shameful and then those same people wonder why his body language is bad on the pitch. I suspect it's not just a comment from Bowyer
    It takes a special kind of moron to attack players directly on a social media channel that they're clearly going to see, discussing on a forum is another matter. Anybody doing this over Twitter needs to take a look at themselves knowing the bloke plays for us still. This forum however it set up to discuss all things Charlton related, good, bad and ugly.
    Sure, and I'm not against discussing players who aren't playing well at all. A lot of what's been on here has been valid criticism of performances and a lot has been beyond that. We know Bogle searches for comments about himself, and we know that forums like Charlton Life are something players are aware of. I have no doubt players look on here - even Sergio Leite does! I remember when he was at Sheffield Wednesday Gary Madine described Owlstalk as 'soul destroying' and said that the players hated looking at it because the abuse they got after a poor performance went so far beyond what what it should have. My main point is that it seems to be becoming an accepted fact that Bowyer's criticisms of Bogle are doing him harm but you often see those same people giving him dog's abuse and saying he's not even a non-League player. If people are concerned that Bogle's confidence can be hit by criticism and that's affecting his play then it's mystifying to me that those same people think they're immune from contributing to that. Players shouldn't look up what people are saying about them on social media - and the forum's included in that - but they do. If nothing else it's bad tactics on the part of posters - something we also criticise Bowyer for

• edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Williams and Maddison need to be on the pitch together from the start. Why you would have these two and not play them is beyond me. We play best when attacking with quick passing, ie against Wimbledon for the final 20 mins.
    Could not disagree more. Williams is very poor when he starts a game, but is excellent when he comes on as a sub.
    It would be nice if when he does come on, Maddison is still on the pitch, especially when we need a goal.
    Is he? Did he have a bad game at Portsmouth? Or are you just regurgitating bowyers excuses?

Has Williams started consecutive games this season? He certainly hasn’t been give a fair run and has only played one half at the same time as Maddison and we scored 4 and conceded 0. I think @up_the_valley is spot on

Starting from Wembley I think his best performances have been from the bench, but I realise from the words you use that you don’t like Bowyer (capital B B)) or the teams that he picks; and as you now have it in your mind that anyone who does not want Williams to start is not giving their own view, your mind is now closed on the matter. Fine.
    For the record, for him to be in my starting eleven we would have to be down to the bare bone. Try and find a team sheet of mine that shows him starting.

Glad you agree about Williams and Maddison, which kinda proves my point about him coming on as a sub. As does the performance the last time Williams started a game.
  • edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Williams and Maddison need to be on the pitch together from the start. Why you would have these two and not play them is beyond me. We play best when attacking with quick passing, ie against Wimbledon for the final 20 mins.
    Is he? Did he have a bad game at Portsmouth? Or are you just regurgitating bowyers excuses?

Has Williams started consecutive games this season? He certainly hasn’t been give a fair run and has only played one half at the same time as Maddison and we scored 4 and conceded 0. I think @up_the_valley is spot on

Are we just going to disregard how injury prone Williams is?

He's rarely started back to back games for us - Last time I recall it happening was when he played two consecutive games for Wales in October 2019, he then played against Derby, didnt make it to half-time meaning we lost him until January

Understandable that he could be playing consecutive games in the period we've just come out of where it was just Saturday game after Saturday game but too much of this season it has been (and will continue to be) Sat | Tues | Sat, am sorry but regardless of how good Williams is, his body cant handle it... He will break down, its just a matter of Russian Roulette with how long you want to risk it
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Starting from Wembley I think his best performances have been from the bench, but I realise from the words you use that you don’t like Bowyer (capital B B)) or the teams that he picks; and as you now have it in your mind that anyone who does not want Williams to start is not giving their own view, your mind is now closed on the matter. Fine.
    For the record, for him to be in my starting eleven we would have to be down to the bare bone. Try and find a team sheet of mine that shows him starting.

Glad you agree about Williams and Maddison, which kinda proves my point about him coming on as a sub. As does the performance the last time Williams started a game.
    I like bowyer, I just wish he would learn from his mistakes
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Whilst I agree regarding Doncaster, in the Lincoln fixture he was not alone. Both fixtures were poor all round for almost everyone.

Doncaster's Statbank and only player in the 6's was Washington, the average 5.26 He got 4.95.
    Lincoln's was an average of 6.03 and he got 5.69

Crewe the team got 6.92 and Barker got 7.10

He also played well in the cup games he played. Proper battler. 
  • Redrobo said:

Are we just going to disregard how injury prone Williams is?

He's rarely started back to back games for us - Last time I recall it happening was when he played two consecutive games for Wales in October 2019, he then played against Derby, didnt make it to half-time meaning we lost him until January

Understandable that he could be playing consecutive games in the period we've just come out of where it was just Saturday game after Saturday game but too much of this season it has been (and will continue to be) Sat | Tues | Sat, am sorry but regardless of how good Williams is, his body cant handle it... He will break down, its just a matter of Russian Roulette with how long you want to risk it
    I get the idea of managing his minutes but he is never going to break down if he doesn't play. 

People forget that some, not all, of Williams's injuries are a direct result of him being kicked all over the place.

People forget how good he really was before that injury last season, seemingly including Bowyer. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

Yep. Ok he's not an out and out striker.

Another annoying thing is that when the ball is played up to him it never sticks and is back down our throat in no time.
    If he can't be trusted to score goals or hold the ball up then what is his purpose?
    I think you have hit the nail on the head that he isn't an out and out striker, or a target man. 

Portsmouth and Cardiff both played him out wide. 

I said before the Schwartz signing that this squad would be so much better with a half decent target man who could play 90 minutes.  Bogle, Washington and Aneke would all look significantly better if they were playing with a Leaburn type. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:

A handful of fickle people on here being OTT don’t speak for the fan base. 

Oshilaja is a decent CB. He’s played shit before but wasn’t we playing him out of position? Also, he’s behind Innis, Famewo, Pearce in the pecking order but with two of those out injured, and himself now being fit, he should be starting. Not Pratley at CB. 

I’ve personally never got the Purrington bashing and Gilbey was good before his injury, so i was expecting better things from the latter when he returned. 
    Your 1st sentence is obviously 100% correct but when it's the same 10 or 20 people commenting on it is right to point out the hypocrisy of it.

"Gilbey was good before his injury" is something I have seen repeated over and over again.  He played 2 league games IIRC, one he was slightly better than OK, the other he had a western.

Gilbey was good for MK Don's, and before, but I think "he was good for US, pre injury" is a liberal interpretation of the truth, at best. 
    I didn't say good for us. As you say he was good for MK Dons and also played well away at Crewe. I think people had a right to want him back from injury and expect good things.