Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any watch fanciers on here?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Blimey! Some serious coin and enthusiasts here!  I like my watches but you lot are on a different level.  Everyday wear I rotate every couple of days between a couple of Fossils, Armani and my pride and joy, two Rados (one silver, one gold).  Wouldn’t mind one of those APs tho....
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Blimey! Some serious coin and enthusiasts here!  I like my watches but you lot are on a different level.  Everyday wear I rotate every couple of days between a couple of Fossils, Armani and my pride and joy, two Rados (one silver, one gold).  Wouldn’t mind one of those APs tho....
    You say that, yet people spend £1000 on a phone every 2 years.

I’ve worked out that if I keep my Omega 35 years and pass it onto my kids it’ll cost me 8p a day to own over that period.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Gawd sake, I've spent the last hour on watchfinder and other sites  :disappointed:

Much better than Watchfinder!!

I tend to use watchfinder as can easily get to them to try them on....... then buy elsewhere  :D
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Ross said:
    CatAddick said:

I’ve worked out that if I keep my Omega 35 years and pass it onto my kids it’ll cost me 8p a day to own over that period.

Also, as I and others have said, buying wisely can provide fantastic returns on investment. As an example, within my collection I'm very fortunate to have four Rolex - combined purchase price £33k, and I could sell them tomorrow for a combined price of around £60k - not that I would sell but rather I will hand them down to my sons. Pretty much index linked as well - when Rolex put their RRP up for new the pre-owned market goes up proportionately - and all the time I have them I get the pleasure of wearing them.

Patek Phillipe Nautilus 5711 - list around £23k - once secured (not easy) immediately worth £60k.

Yes you have to keep an eye on the market but in the same way that you would need to keep an eye on any investments.

Watches and art - a lot, lot better than the returns on standard deposit - even long-term deposit.

That doesn't mean that you only buy watches that will gain in value - you need to love watches as well and expect to lose value on some. The Tag I bought today is unlikely to go up much in value, more likely to lose some (but not much) - but I will get great pleasure in wearing it.

Maybe this belongs on the Savings and Investment thread! (although @shine166 is the man to talk about art!)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Ross said:
    CatAddick said:

Also, as I and others have said, buying wisely can provide fantastic returns on investment. As an example, within my collection I'm very fortunate to have four Rolex - combined purchase price £33k, and I could sell them tomorrow for a combined price of around £60k - not that I would sell but rather I will hand them down to my sons. Pretty much index linked as well - when Rolex put their RRP up for new the pre-owned market goes up proportionately - and all the time I have them I get the pleasure of wearing them.

Patek Phillipe Nautilus 5711 - list around £23k - once secured (not easy) immediately worth £60k.

Yes you have to keep an eye on the market but in the same way that you would need to keep an eye on any investments.

Watches and art - a lot, lot better than the returns on standard deposit - even long-term deposit.

That doesn't mean that you only buy watches that will gain in value - you need to love watches as well and expect to lose value on some. The Tag I bought today is unlikely to go up much in value, more likely to lose some (but not much) - but I will get great pleasure in wearing it.

If you can get me on the list for one of those i'll be your best friend forever and buy you a tank of fuel for your new Porsche  :D
  • Options
    Ross said:
    CatAddick said:

Absolutely.  I’d love to have some serious money to invest.  I got the first Rado 5 years ago for about £1500 and loved every minute I’ve worn it.  Gradually pushing it up - looking at a Cartier for the wife next
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Ross said:
    CatAddick said:

If you can get me on the list for one of those i'll be your best friend forever and buy you a tank of fuel for your new Porsche  :D

There are no lists - by invitation only ;-)

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Ross said:
    CatAddick said:

There are no lists - by invitation only ;-)

:'( 
  • Options
    PWR - I’ve had a couple of Tag Heuer watches and absolutely loved them. Paid about £800 each. Problem is I like to wear them. And that leads to things breaking which in turn leads to expensive repairs. So I moved on to Tissot and felt happier paying sub £300 knowing if I broke them I hadn’t spent too much. Now I’m wearing a Thomas Sabo and have another boxed, unworn, which I am going to start wearing soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow, my maths was completely wrong there. 30p a day!
  • Options
    That Tag Monaco is a thing of beauty. Lucky lad @bobmunro
  • Options
    I know that.

I never, ever forget that I'm a south London council house boy who got very lucky.

• Options
    @bobmunro @shine166

Now we need an Art thread 
  • Options
    Been wearing Garmins since 2010ish, didnt wear a watch before that.

Watches are lovely to look at but I really wouldnt trust myself wearing something valuable.  My wife wanted to buy me one for my 40th but I said no.  I'm just far too clumsy.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I know that.

I never, ever forget that I'm a south London council house boy who got very lucky.

same as you @bobmuro, funny thing is the harder i worked the luckier i got!
  • Options
    Anyone ever bought from Watchbox.com?
  • Options
    Sorry, but nothing beats the Thomas the Tank Engine watch from my childhood...
    A timeless classic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner as a wedding gift many moons ago. I wasn’t that interested in watches for quite a while and then slowly started to realise that I really enjoyed the intricacies and development that goes in to a watch. I ended up in a job working on commission basis and was able to treat myself every now and then. Didn’t need to invest in a car as I had a company car and after my whisky collection grew to over 55 bottles I started to look at watches. My next purchase was a Tag Heuer Monaco followed by a Bell&Ross GMT.
    I was devastated when some filthy scum broke in and nicked the Rolex and the Tag-Heuer!
    I was not happy with the Bell&Ross as it had to be repaired 3 times in the 4 years I owned it. In the end I took it to a jeweler who sold it on for me and I bought a mechanical Tissot T-complication skeleton which I really love.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    What are you after Dan?
  • Options
    I’d keep an eye out for voyeurs if I were you 😉
  • Options
    Like that @Ross

how do you pronounce Longines btw ?
  • Options
    Like that @Ross

how do you pronounce Longines btw ?
    Cheers.

Lon-jean. With a bad French accent...
  • Options
    Ha, in my head I’ve always said long eens 
  • Options
    Long-ynes
  • Options
    Ross said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    What are you after Dan?
    AP Huitieme, mate... But can only seem to find 2 of them with box and papers. One is on Chrono24 but from a dealer in Poland who sells through ebay (I think I'll swerve that one!), the other is through watchbox.com. All looks legit on the later, just would feel more comfortable buying if I know someone who has used them before. 

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Ross said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    What are you after Dan?
    AP Huitieme, mate... But can only seem to find 2 of them with box and papers. One is on Chrono24 but from a dealer in Poland who sells through ebay (I think I'll swerve that one!), the other is through watchbox.com. All looks legit on the later, just would feel more comfortable buying if I know someone who has used them before. 

Reading through WatchUSeek and it appears that watchbox gets good reviews, but also their prices can be a bit higher than other places. Having said that, most people have said that negotiating the price down is usually successful.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Ross said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    What are you after Dan?

Reading through WatchUSeek and it appears that watchbox gets good reviews, but also their prices can be a bit higher than other places. Having said that, most people have said that negotiating the price down is usually successful.

Cheers mate... Will check out WatchUSeek... First time buying myself a "proper" watch, so a bit oblivious to it all