Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any watch fanciers on here?

Comments

• Options
    Ross said:
    Made a new purchase yesterday. Tudor BB58.

Very nice, mate! Got mine coming Monday, can't wait! 
  • Options
    Very nice @Ross
  • Options
    {

Anybody know the value of this if it wasn’t a fake?

• Options
    masicat said:
    {

https://www.pragnell.co.uk/patek-philippe-aquanaut-5167a-001_2341997

£16K new
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    masicat said:
    {

£16K new

That's the 5167R-001 - Rose Gold. Around £28k retail, but good luck getting one. Re-sell market around £60k.

If it's just the photo making it look like the R then the A you linked to would be re-sell c£38k.

If it wasn't a fake!!!
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Made a new purchase yesterday. Tudor BB58.

Beauty mate!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    And
    And now for something a bit more modest, but no less desirable. Here's my Seiko Flightmaster.
  • Options
                      We gave our son a Maurice Lacroix watch for his 50th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    masicat said:
    {

£16K new

That's the 5167R-001 - Rose Gold. Around £28k retail, but good luck getting one. Re-sell market around £60k.

If it's just the photo making it look like the R then the A you linked to would be re-sell c£
  • Options

• Options
    My new baby just arrived! 
  • Options
    Finally got around to taking a snap of my Tissot T-Skeleton Complication.
  • Options
    Apologies, I know this will rub many on here up the wrong way, but think I'll be investing in the next generation of these watches next:

That thin grey line around the outer edge of the face is a solar charging panel and whilst it isn't remarkable in terms of charging ability, it's designed to just give minimal boosts to battery life. 

It is an exciting step forward in Smart Watch technology and I am excited about upgrading when the new range is released. 
  • Options
    Hey all, first time poster on this thread and looking for a bit of advice.

I'm looking to add an Omega Speedmaster to my (small) collection that currently consists of a Tudor North Flag.

I'll be buying cash and new so any thoughts on where online is the best to buy in terms of price and ensuring it's authentic etc. Any advice would be appreciated
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

I'm looking to add an Omega Speedmaster to my (small) collection that currently consists of a Tudor North Flag.

I'll be buying cash and new so any thoughts on where online is the best to buy in terms of price and ensuring it's authentic etc. Any advice would be appreciated
    They've just released the new Speedmaster, and therefore discounts are a little bit harder to come by, so expect to pay full rpice.

However, the best bet would be to go to a decent jewellers like Goldsmiths or Ernest Jones. Guaranteed authentic, and you MAY be able to get a small discount. However, unknown on the current availability due to it being an updated model.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    bobmunro said:
    masicat said:
    {

£16K new

If it's just the photo making it look like the R then the A you linked to would be re-sell c£38k.

If it wasn't a fake!!!
    So.....we are getting £16,000, £28,000, £38,000 and £60,000!

“Confused.....you will be.”
  • Options
    Have a few pints and your fucked looking at that.
  • Options
    That's the excuse, when you get home to the wife.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's the excuse, when you don't get home to the wife.
    Fixed that for you!
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

The latest speedy is too new and discounts are unlikely - there is in fact a little wait as most ADs don't have stock.

But give it 6 months when the newness wears off and supply is plentiful, I would expect (with a bit of phoning around) discounts of 15-20%. Best to try independent Omega ADs rather than the chains.   
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    masicat said:
    {

£16K new

If it wasn't a fake!!!
    So.....we are getting £16,000, £28,000, £38,000 and £60,000!

“Confused.....you will be.”
    £16k new or £38k pre-owned for the stainless steel, and £28k new or £60k pre-owned for the rose gold. 

Very, very hard to get new!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Maccn05 said:

The latest speedy is too new and discounts are unlikely - there is in fact a little wait as most ADs don't have stock.

But give it 6 months when the newness wears off and supply is plentiful, I would expect (with a bit of phoning around) discounts of 15-20%. Best to try independent Omega ADs rather than the chains.   
    Thanks. I'm probably looking at the last version - not really seeing much value in paying £1k more for something that looks very, very similar.

Out of interest what's an AD? a something distributor?
  • Options
    Radio Controlled for accuracy.
    Otherwise depends what you want a watch to do, maybe it is jewellery of some sort.
    Watch straps are a whole other story.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Maccn05 said:

Thanks. I'm probably looking at the last version - not really seeing much value in paying £1k more for something that looks very, very similar.

Out of interest what's an AD? a something distributor?
    Sorry - Authorised Dealer.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Radio Controlled for accuracy.
    Otherwise depends what you want a watch to do, maybe it is jewellery of some sort.
    Watch straps are a whole other story.
    Definitely jewellery for me (and most watch fanciers) - in fact the only jewellery I would ever wear apart from my band of gold. 

For people who want to know the time then a £20 Casio will do the job perfectly - or alternatively just use your mobile phone (100% accurate). Why people would need to know the exact time to the nanosecond is beyond me - most of my watches are mechanical and anything within +/- 10 seconds a day is good enough for me, although most of my watches are within +/- 2 seconds a day.

• Options

My beloved Longines Moonphase has stopped auto-rewinding; I'm having to manually wind it every day. No idea how big a repair is needed. Could any of you watch fanciers suggest the min/max cost of such a repair? And any recommendations for repairers? 
    On top of that, the alligator leather strap (genuine Longines replacement) is about to break after just 3 years.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Apologies, I know this will rub many on here up the wrong way, but think I'll be investing in the next generation of these watches next:

That thin grey line around the outer edge of the face is a solar charging panel and whilst it isn't remarkable in terms of charging ability, it's designed to just give minimal boosts to battery life. 

It is an exciting step forward in Smart Watch technology and I am excited about upgrading when the new range is released. 
    Fenix? if the Apple Watch wasn't the most useful Smart Watch on the market, I would probably go for one of these. Apple are rumoured to be building something like this for Series 7
  • Options

My beloved Longines Moonphase has stopped auto-rewinding; I'm having to manually wind it every day. No idea how big a repair is needed. Could any of you watch fanciers suggest the min/max cost of such a repair? And any recommendations for repairers? 
    On top of that, the alligator leather strap (genuine Longines replacement) is about to break after just 3 years.

Sounds like the rotor arm has become disconnected - very straightforward repair especially if it is working with a manual wind (the movement therefore seems to be working fine). 

Your best bet is to find a local jeweller that does watch repairs and I would estimate maybe £100 to reattach the rotor arm and maybe £200-250 if you want to include a full service while the back is off.