Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any watch fanciers on here?

Comments

• Options

My beloved Longines Moonphase has stopped auto-rewinding; I'm having to manually wind it every day. No idea how big a repair is needed. Could any of you watch fanciers suggest the min/max cost of such a repair? And any recommendations for repairers? 
    On top of that, the alligator leather strap (genuine Longines replacement) is about to break after just 3 years.

Depends where you are. Searle & Co, Royal Exchange in the City did a great job on servicing my Omega and replacing the badly scratched crystal. (I wouldn't be surprised if they sent it elsewhere but does that matter?)
  • Options
    Thanks both for your advice... hopefully not such a big job after all.
  • Options
    Dunno same thing happened to my omega sea master which was just out of warranty. £450 for a new strap, omega service and repair. Omega shop in royal exchange which I think is different to Searle’s
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Radio Controlled for accuracy.
    Otherwise depends what you want a watch to do, maybe it is jewellery of some sort.
    Watch straps are a whole other story.
    Definitely jewellery for me (and most watch fanciers) - in fact the only jewellery I would ever wear apart from my band of gold. 

For people who want to know the time then a £20 Casio will do the job perfectly - or alternatively just use your mobile phone (100% accurate). Why people would need to know the exact time to the nanosecond is beyond me - most of my watches are mechanical and anything within +/- 10 seconds a day is good enough for me, although most of my watches are within +/- 2 seconds a day.

Casio has those numbers when I’m used to (and prefer) a dial.
    The exact time is handy for catching a train and a one nanosecond timepiece in the house helps set the other clocks.
    I understand the aspiration for look (above functionality?) but some watches seem so ‘busy’ to look at my eyeballs wouldn’t know where to start.
    My aspiration is for a super accurate watch but where the numbers are Chinese characters (for style and to show off).
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Otherwise depends what you want a watch to do, maybe it is jewellery of some sort.
    Definitely jewellery for me (and most watch fanciers) - in fact the only jewellery I would ever wear apart from my band of gold. 

For people who want to know the time then a £20 Casio will do the job perfectly - or alternatively just use your mobile phone (100% accurate). Why people would need to know the exact time to the nanosecond is beyond me - most of my watches are mechanical and anything within +/- 10 seconds a day is good enough for me, although most of my watches are within +/- 2 seconds a day.

The exact time is handy for catching a train and a one nanosecond timepiece in the house helps set the other clocks.
    I understand the aspiration for look (above functionality?) but some watches seem so ‘busy’ to look at my eyeballs wouldn’t know where to start.
    My aspiration is for a super accurate watch but where the numbers are Chinese characters (for style and to show off).
    Here you go - should be good for a couple of seconds a month!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinese-Numbers-Watch-Analogue-Display/dp/B01MG3QA3Y
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:

Here you go - should be good for a couple of seconds a month!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinese-Numbers-Watch-Analogue-Display/dp/B01MG3QA3Y
    Wow.
    Couldn’t find one in Beijing.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

My beloved Longines Moonphase has stopped auto-rewinding; I'm having to manually wind it every day. No idea how big a repair is needed. Could any of you watch fanciers suggest the min/max cost of such a repair? And any recommendations for repairers? 
    On top of that, the alligator leather strap (genuine Longines replacement) is about to break after just 3 years.

Sounds like the rotor arm has become disconnected - very straightforward repair especially if it is working with a manual wind (the movement therefore seems to be working fine). 

Your best bet is to find a local jeweller that does watch repairs and I would estimate maybe £100 to reattach the rotor arm and maybe £200-250 if you want to include a full service while the back is off.  
    Spot on Bob! I found a watch repairer in Tunbridge Wells who fixed the loose rotor arm while I waited. He didn't ask for any payment but I gave him a good tip. I wonder how much it would have been had I gone to a high street jeweller to repair?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Sounds like the rotor arm has become disconnected - very straightforward repair especially if it is working with a manual wind (the movement therefore seems to be working fine). 

Your best bet is to find a local jeweller that does watch repairs and I would estimate maybe £100 to reattach the rotor arm and maybe £200-250 if you want to include a full service while the back is off.  
    Spot on Bob! I found a watch repairer in Tunbridge Wells who fixed the loose rotor arm while I waited. He didn't ask for any payment but I gave him a good tip. I wonder how much it would have been had I gone to a high street jeweller to repair?
    Is that David Carpenter?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    bobmunro said:

Lucky guess! I've had the same problem with a watch before.

Good news that it's now working as it should.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Is that David Carpenter?
    No it was Richard Holmwood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To look at the first on the left is the nicest, but would be better in my view with a white face and a non leather strap.
    No date window always makes watches look better in my opinion.
    My holy grail is a plain watch which is radio controlled for exact time.
    Preferably with the numbers in Chinese/Oriental characters.
  • Options
    PS I always wear my watch with the face on the underside of my wrist. Does anybody else do that?
  • Options
    Nice, funnily enough I just sold a couple of my Rolex's as some of the prices have gone a little crazy. Just wish I'd bought the Nautilus (PP) when I had the chance back in 2015, my mate just sold his, bought for £19k about 10 years ago, now £120k   :# But I did quite well on a Day Date and a Daytona so can't grumble, they're paying for most of the new kitchen!

I tend to 90% of the time wear my Apple Watch anyway  :D and my thin wrists never really suited the 40mm+ watches, always looked like a kid who'd borrowed his dads watch  :D 

Still got one Rolex and a couple of Omega's, my old grandads manual 18ct from the 50's and my Seamaster which I do wear when not using the Apple Watch. Plus some cheaper one's.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    PS I always wear my watch with the face on the underside of my wrist. Does anybody else do that?
    Given the types of watches we all seem to wear, I suspect it’s just you
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I have always seen it as a way of protecting the transparent window against damage from an accident.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I have always seen it as a way of protecting the transparent window against damage from an accident.
    But that’s the side of your arm that you naturally constantly put down on tables and desks throughout the day, so effectively you must be increasing the likelihood of damaging the watch face 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    But that’s the side of your arm that you naturally constantly put down on tables and desks throughout the day, so effectively you must be increasing the likelihood of damaging the watch face 
    It must be me only, because for 95% of my working life I was on my feet, not at a desk.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    It must be me only, because for 95% of my working life I was on my feet, not at a desk.
    Not just you @seth plum I also wear my, cheap and cheerful, watches on the inside of my skinny wrists. Another habit I picked up from my grandad, along with a love for Charlton.

It's everyone else that's doing it wrong!
  • Options
    My 10 year old Omega, just been serviced and they fully cleaned and repaired scratches etc - looks brand new again. Also would seem to have really held its value 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My 10 year old Omega, just been serviced and they fully cleaned and repaired scratches etc - looks brand new again. Also would seem to have really held its value 
    Nice, I have almost the same, but black dial, you'll probably find it's gone up in value, I got mine during the recession in 2008 when the Jewellers in Bromley shut, it was their final day and half hour before closing so got a very good deal (£800 ish from memory).

I know when I first had mine serviced I thought they'd sent me a new watch as it came back mint!
  • Options
    I am staying in a Miami hotel, one of those with fancy boutiques in, and last night I tried a Richard Mille on and fell in love. Will no doubt go back today and stare at it. Also tried on a PP Aquanaut which was my first love, but the Mille has just surpassed it. 
  • Options
    Where did you goto get it serviced?
  • Options
    @cafc999
    Omega store in Bluewater (where I bought it), they were surprised I still had all the original box/paperwork etc
  • Options
    Never really been in to watches then last year I took early early retirement and was given this by my CEO as a leaving pressie! 
    You could buy a house in Stockport for that.
  • Options
    I am staying in a Miami hotel, one of those with fancy boutiques in, and last night I tried a Richard Mille on and fell in love. Will no doubt go back today and stare at it. Also tried on a PP Aquanaut which was my first love, but the Mille has just surpassed it. 
    Which model?
  • Options
    Never really been in to watches then last year I took early early retirement and was given this by my CEO as a leaving pressie! 
    If I had to sell all my watches and just keep one it would be my Sub.
  • Options

As @bobmunro seems to be the CL watch valuation expert, can you put a price on this please.
    I am aware these are expensive, not like Rolex of course.
  • Options

As @bobmunro seems to be the CL watch valuation expert, can you put a price on this please.
    I am aware these are expensive, not like Rolex of course.
    Not enough to retire on, Elfs.

Probably around £200 new.