Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any watch fanciers on here?

Comments

• Options
    I do love a nice looking watch. I have 2 Tag Carreras which I've had for about 12 and 7 years respectively but i'd love to buy more If money was no object. Always fancied a Rolex Daytona or an IWC Portugieser perpetual. Not keen on the chunky watches given i have the wrists of a small girl.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I have an automatic Omega Seamaster and an old BroadArrow diver's watch as an everyday 'beater'. Think the guy's changed the name from BroadArrow now. It this one (not my actual watch):

• Options
    I have some, would like more!

Have sold a few in recent years, Rolex's especially the Daytona's have increased a lot in price, had two of those but sold them as more than doubled my money in 5 or so years. Wish i'd kept one to be honest now.

I am partial to an Omega as well, have a couple, one a 50's 18ct Gold seamaster  that I inherited and a more recent 2008 banking crisis seamaster that I purchased new in a closing down sale from a Jewellers in Bromley. Also have a few older rolex's, favourite is an 80's day date.  

If you buy right, and the right one's, they are good investments.

On the slightly cheaper side I have a couple of Hamiltons and one of my favourites a Henry which looks 50's but is only about 4 years old and a really nice Skagen, very thin.

Would really like a PP Nautilus 5711 - but bit pricey now at £60k+ should have got one when they were 30k not that long ago.

All that said I tend to wear my apple watch everyday!
  • Options
    It's strange now that even some of the cheapo makes have become collectable.
    Some of the limited edition Swatch / Casio can command pretty high prices. 
  • Options
    There's a lot of new, so called microbrands that have been established in recent years. One that I have been drawn to is Spinnaker. They produce some interesting diver style watches with a bit of a retro twist, for £200-300 price range. I bought one of their Cahill models and Im really pleased with it.
  • Options
    Also it's amazing how many affordable mechanical watches from the sixties or earlier are still going strong. Plenty in good condition for sale on eBay, from brands like Avia, Timex etc
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Guilty (and expensive) pleasure for me.

Omega Aqua Terra currently on my wrist, 2 Hamiltons at home and a Longines Hydroconquest currently on its way to me. Also on the list for Tudor Black Bay 58.
    The predecessor of the Aqua Terra was the Seamaster 120. Always fancied one of those but never quite got round to buying. Sounds like you have a wonderful collection.
    Many thanks.

I'm trying to have a smaller well-rounded collection, mainly due to financial reasons. However, even if I won the lottery I think I would still be picky about what to buy as opposed to buying 'all the watches'. For example, I would love an A Lange and Sohne 1815 Up Down, but it would be too big for my wrist. The only Rolex I would like is an Explorer 1, but I feel it would be too similar to my Aqua Terra, and that is going nowhere. I think the Jaeger LeCoultre MUT Moonphase is beautiful, as is the Patek Phillipe Calatrava, but I have no real need for a dress watch.
  • Options
    Also it's amazing how many affordable mechanical watches from the sixties or earlier are still going strong. Plenty in good condition for sale on eBay, from brands like Avia, Timex etc
    I think as a kid I used to break all my watches.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Omega Aqua Terra currently on my wrist, 2 Hamiltons at home and a Longines Hydroconquest currently on its way to me. Also on the list for Tudor Black Bay 58.
    The predecessor of the Aqua Terra was the Seamaster 120. Always fancied one of those but never quite got round to buying. Sounds like you have a wonderful collection.
    Many thanks.

I'm trying to have a smaller well-rounded collection, mainly due to financial reasons. However, even if I won the lottery I think I would still be picky about what to buy as opposed to buying 'all the watches'. For example, I would love an A Lange and Sohne 1815 Up Down, but it would be too big for my wrist. The only Rolex I would like is an Explorer 1, but I feel it would be too similar to my Aqua Terra, and that is going nowhere. I think the Jaeger LeCoultre MUT Moonphase is beautiful, as is the Patek Phillipe Calatrava, but I have no real need for a dress watch.
    Rolex Explorer would be my pick of those, especially the older model with the 36mm case.
  • Options
    oh and I've got a Casio G Shock, it's so big that whilst it looks pretty cool for G shock, it's actually uncomfy to wear
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    oh and I've got a Casio G Shock, it's so big that whilst it looks pretty cool for G shock, it's actually uncomfy to wear
    Lots of serious watch experts have love for G Shocks. You can even get third party kits to replace the plastic cases and straps with stainless steel.
  • Options
    I've been a little bit of a fan since I was a kid.  Not so much expensive ones, just quirky ones really.  (though I did really want a Hublot Big Bang about 10 years ago until I saw the price)

I have a Tag Heuer Carrera which I wear most days that I got for my 30th Birthday (14 years ago) and it's never let me down.  

Apple Watch Series 5 which I wear on more casual days

Then a couple of golf watches that were £200 each, a really basic digital Casio one (£14.99) that I bought for a business trip to South Africa a few years ago (I was told I would be killed if I had a nice watch!!)
    I also got a smartwatch on kickstarter last year which is nice but a ballache to charge so I rarely wear it now - but hope it might be a collectors item one day.

For me a watch isn't about being flashy - I just like nice timepieces and always have

My old boss has £40-£50k of watches and a nice little case which rocks them to keep them on time.....I think that might be a step too far though

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Have sold a few in recent years, Rolex's especially the Daytona's have increased a lot in price, had two of those but sold them as more than doubled my money in 5 or so years. Wish i'd kept one to be honest now.

I am partial to an Omega as well, have a couple, one a 50's 18ct Gold seamaster  that I inherited and a more recent 2008 banking crisis seamaster that I purchased new in a closing down sale from a Jewellers in Bromley. Also have a few older rolex's, favourite is an 80's day date.  

On the slightly cheaper side I have a couple of Hamiltons and one of my favourites a Henry which looks 50's but is only about 4 years old and a really nice Skagen, very thin.

Would really like a PP Nautilus 5711 - but bit pricey now at £60k+ should have got one when they were 30k not that long ago.

Around £23k list - but to get a sniff you have to buy a lot of other watches from PP.

The AP Royal Oak is more attainable and after all was the original Genta design. 

• Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Many thanks.

Rolex Explorer would be my pick of those, especially the older model with the 36mm case.
    The 114270? 

I do quite like the previous generation Oyster Perpetual with the rhodium grey dial and blue minute markers. However, since it has been discontinued with the new OPs being released in September pre-owned prices have gone through the roof (not that they were low beforehand), and I don't want to play the game with an AD.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Many thanks.

The 114270? 

I do quite like the previous generation Oyster Perpetual with the rhodium grey dial and blue minute markers. However, since it has been discontinued with the new OPs being released in September pre-owned prices have gone through the roof (not that they were low beforehand), and I don't want to play the game with an AD.
    Yep that's the one. A good used one would cost about £6k though, then there's the peril of inadvertently buying a fake.
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever owned more than one working watch at any time in my life. When one is irreparable or too old, I buy a new one and it lasts for several years. Finding out that there are actually watch forums is a revelation to me. I assume localised watch forums are known as neighbourhood watch forums - I always wondered what they did.
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever owned more than one working watch at any time in my life. When one is irreparable or too old, I buy a new one and it lasts for several years. Finding out that there are actually watch forums is a revelation to me. I assume localised watch forums are known as neighbourhood watch forums - I always wondered what they did.
    WatchUSeek is a fountain of knowledge.

And pretty pictures.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    My only (well one of) guilty pleasure.
    I have a nice collection and try to limit my urges for new watch purchases to one a year - it's actually been 18 months so I'm due one and was actually looking over the weekend. 
    I have a very understanding missus!!
    Great investment though Bob, as I am sure you know. I bought a Rolex Submariner (17 years ago) - paid £1700 for it brand new and can sell it today for £6-7,000 fairly easily. I don't wear it much nowadays and prefer other, regular priced watches I have. As an investment, not much beats them at the moment.
    Love to know where you got a brand new Submariner for £1700 pounds in 2003.

I paid more than that for by first Oyster perpetual datejust a couple of years earlier. 
  • Options
    I have about ten different watches. None particularly expensive. Got a selection of Russian mechanical watches about 20 years ago and realised you can get some decent timepieces at a reasonable price if you hunt around.

That said would quite happily spend loads more if I could. However as someone without a big chunky wrist many watches are just too large. 
  • Options
    kigelia said:
    I have about ten different watches. None particularly expensive. Got a selection of Russian mechanical watches about 20 years ago and realised you can get some decent timepieces at a reasonable price if you hunt around.

That said would quite happily spend loads more if I could. However as someone without a big chunky wrist many watches are just too large. 
    Vostoks?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No it's true.
  • Options
    Yes, I quite like a good watch.

I tend to favour a rectangle face over a round and like an antique look to a watch, even if it's fake. Like my current Giorgio Armani. Doesn't have to have Roman numerals.

I don't like the in yer face 'I've only got a small penis' type of watch. You know the type that allows you to sample the atmosphere if you happen to be on Pluto.

I did have a small collection of fob watches, in the days when I clearly, though sadly, had designs on being a 'Dandy' rather than a 'Beano' type of character, either that or just a merchant banker. 
  • Options
    Ross said:
    kigelia said:

Vostoks?
    I currently have a nice poljot and a couple of super cheap raketa and Slava watches. I did have an old 70’s Vostok that was a bit beaten up but accurate as anything, sadly it was lost a few years back at work. 
  • Options
    Wear a Casio wave ceptor for everyday. Have a slow watch and a seiko autoreplay that I occasionally wear. When I get back I into work, will get myself an Omega sea master.

• Options
    I like things to be well designed, reliable and affordable. I sometimes feel things are liked more because of their cost.

The Casio F91W however common and cheap it is remains for me one of the best watches ever in terms of design, reliability and function. They still cost less than £10!

• Options
    I’m sure some on here would agree that time is simply a means by which the working classes are oppressed. Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your sekonda.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I love my Tag Heuer...not an expensive one but a gift from my missus for Y2K. I also have a couple of Citizen ecodrives which are very nice. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I'm partial to a nice watch.  Have an old Cartier Tank watch that I rarely wear and and 2 Omegas.  Omega Seamaster Chronograph and Omega Speedmaster.  Both nice automatic watches and an electric winder box so when one isn't being worn it doesn't stop.  Like a watch with the date on it - surprised how often I use it.  Always fancied a Tag-Heuer Monaco.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Around £23k list - but to get a sniff you have to buy a lot of other watches from PP.

The AP Royal Oak is more attainable and after all was the original Genta design. 

Thanks Bob, didn’t realise list was that low. I have a friend who buys £200k + a year so will see if he can get on the list on my behalf!!
  • Options
    Wear a Casio wave ceptor for everyday. Have a slow watch and a seiko autoreplay that I occasionally wear. When I get back I into work, will get myself an Omega sea master.

I like things to be well designed, reliable and affordable. I sometimes feel things are liked more because of their cost.

The Casio F91W however common and cheap it is remains for me one of the best watches ever in terms of design, reliability and function. They still cost less than £10!

Yes very valuable watches, didn't John Candy try to pay for a room in Planes Trains and Automobiles with a Casio but the Owner wouldn't go for it?