Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov 2020

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Don't know if this has been aired, but any news on Smyth 
    and the extent of the injury from Wednesday
  • Options

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I can’t remember one pass map this season where Watson has achieved less than 80% pass completion. Outstanding. 
  • Options
    Interesting on that map, how Amos distribution is so much more successful down the right, and
    also highlighted on the heat map
  • Options
    Interesting on that map, how Amos distribution is so much more successful down the right, and
    Yes, hadn't noticed that. Maybe it's because Chuks was on the right more?

Shocking that Smyth only made 4 passes, one of which was a defensive clearance
  • Options

Yeah, you would think he should make more than that.

But Smyth is a busy player though, always moving, making runs, pulling defenders out of position, creating space, pressuring and being a nuisance.
    Not many passes but plenty of involvement offball with the team's gameplan.

• Options
    It is only when you see this chart that you realise how few times players touch the ball over the course of the game
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    It is only when you see this chart that you realise how few times players touch the ball over the course of the game
    Yes it's quite an eye opener, how many more times water carriers like Watson will touch the ball when compared to more attacking ones
  • Options

You won't believe this, Killer ....... but our sub 4 and sub 5 made even less passes than Smyth!

Shocking I know! :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Quite interesting too that Albie had the least accuracy with passing apart from Purrington

Is that because he was attempting more daring passes than anyone else?
  • Options
    I think this can be an issue with these sort of stats. There are other tiers of refinement needed for them to really tell the full story. 

In the case of Morgan, I think it is highly likely based on what I watched that he was trying the passes that open up a team. There is more risk to these and many players don't have the vision to make them.
  • Options
    I think this can be an issue with these sort of stats. There are other tiers of refinement needed for them to really tell the full story. 

In the case of Morgan, I think it is highly likely based on what I watched that he was trying the passes that open up a team. There is more risk to these and many players don't have the vision to make them.
    You'd expect the attacking midfielder to give the ball away more as he'll be trying the lower percentage forward passes

I imagine KDB's percentage stats would be worse than Fernandinho's
  • Options
    I was surprised to see Ipswich in blue shorts. Made it easy for us to wear our complete home kit
  • Options
    Ipswich 18 points in 7 home games this season before today, so this win is a huge show of confidence to the boys today. 
    6 wins against bottom half clubs.
    Then 0-3 to Hull, 0-2 to Charlton.
  • Options
    MattF said:

Courtesy of Benjy Nurick but the below is Aneke's heatmap from Saturday, compare it with Amos' passing

Suggests we saw Ipswich’s left back as a player Aneke could easily beat in the air.

If they use move another player there then that leaves space elsewhere on the pitch.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A young Jimmy Seed speaks ..... proper Geordie accent to my ears.
    Have you seen your Grandad on this @JamesSeed

Charlton in 1936, soon after consecutive promotions to the top tier First Division.
    Good footage of the huge East Terrace, some of it still under construction.

I love seeing this sort of thing. Thanks for posting, Seth.  @seth plum

• Options
    Yes I have, it’s a great bit of footage. 
    I always loved his accent, which was technically Makem rather than Geordie. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I see that Jimmy Seed grew up near Sunderland, so that would explain his Makem accent, then.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I see that Jimmy Seed grew up near Sunderland, so that would explain his Makem accent, then.

Two absolute legends, having Sunderland roots; Jimmy Seed for a very long time as manager and Clive Mendonca for a short time but gave Cafc fans their greatest day out ever at a mega stadium. 2019 wasn't too shabby and for the fans still alive the FA cup win in April 47 would be a magic memory (they won't have a clue what they did yesterday !)

I assume Clive Mendonca had South American roots on his paternal side. He played like a top Brazilian with that hatrick.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Great result. Much better performance but how bad were Ipswich !
    I’ve got to be honest, it might be a case that the way we played made them look bad, excellent result.
    Bit of both perhaps. They have injuries of their own to deal with. 
    Eleven first teamers injured at the moment according to The Grauniad this morning.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

Two absolute legends, having Sunderland roots; Jimmy Seed for a very long time as manager and Clive Mendonca for a short time but gave Cafc fans their greatest day out ever at a mega stadium. 2019 wasn't too shabby and for the fans still alive the FA cup win in April 47 would be a magic memory (they won't have a clue what they did yesterday !)

I assume Clive Mendonca had South American roots on his paternal side. He played like a top Brazilian with that hatrick.
    That’s correct, Clive’s paternal family are from Guyana. His uncle Ivor was a West Indies cricketer, something Clive himself only found out while playing for us as he’s not stayed in contact with his dad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7068437/Clive-Mendonca-Wembley-hat-trick-death-threats-working-Nissan.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Mendonca

Looks like his Nan died earlier this year a few days before she’d have turned 105.

https://www.arbormemorial.ca/highland-scarborough/obituaries/mrs-ineas-alfreda-mendonca/52139
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Now I won't deny I missed the celebration in real time but Bogle 100% celebrated the goal. Love the headbutt from Aneke pushing him into the onrushing Morgan too.

Further proof of the commentators had a restricted view was the fact that one of them said that Bogle hit the far post and it went in,
    Yes that’s what they said at the time but as can be seen on the replays his shot actually hit the near post and ended up in the far corner.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

That’s correct, Clive’s paternal family are from Guyana. His uncle Ivor was a West Indies cricketer, something Clive himself only found out while playing for us as he’s not stayed in contact with his dad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7068437/Clive-Mendonca-Wembley-hat-trick-death-threats-working-Nissan.html

I went against all my principles and clicked on that dreadful Daily Mail site. 
    My God, it was so difficult to try and read the article with all that movement and flickering of background advertisements - clickbait at it's worst.

But I persevered and actually quite enjoyed the Clive Mendonca interview.
    Of course we get lots of mentions and in depth discussion of our famous Mendonca hat-trick Wembley final ......  he analyses all his goals and tells you what was going through his head at the time.

"'But this, it has stirred the emotions. I'm proud, really proud. That game was my defining moment, all them years of working hard, God repaid me that day. It was just unfortunate for me it was against Sunderland!' 

Really good read. If only it wasn't the wretched Daily Mail website.

• Options
    You can see the family resemblance between Ivor and Clive