Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov 2020

Comments

• Options
    What a difference from the Burton performance, where the players thought they just had to turn up to win. I couldn't be bothered even looking at that post match thread.

LB stopping the playing out from the back like were Man City and Ipswich not pressing anywhere as much as we did, allowed us to play to our strengths considering who was available.

100% effort from the whole team is what I want to see and we got that today. They all deserve tomorrow off.

Morgan MOTM, with some superb performances from Watson and Williams.

At one point it looked like Smyth had two kneecaps. As he got on the golf cart under his own steam, it's hopefully not as bad as I thought.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What a result that is. 2-0 away from home against a real promotion rival
    That they are not.
    If they are then we really are going up in the automatics!!
  • Options
    After the horse and cart comes the Lord Mayor's Show!
    Excellent all round performance.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    A real gap has opened up between the top 10 teams and the rest now. Accrington and Doncaster both have games in hand and can jump up the table very quickly if they win them.

• Options
    The response we were all looking for after Tuesdays blip! Midfield looked good and Morgan was everywhere. Easily Watson’s best performance in a Charlton shirt. Need to carry it onto to Wednesday. 
  • Options

Superb 10-game form table
    Like it 
  • Options
    That’s better - with Watson and Morgan outstanding. Just wish we could be rid of our injury woes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone on earlier page said:
    ''Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them''.

They were sitting behind an iron girder (so they said)!
    Albie and Watson men of the match. We are always better when 
    Jonny starts imho.
  • Options
    Makes up for midweek shambles and keeps us where we should hope to be, well done up the reds 
  • Options
    Much better performance today & I’m glad we did away with playing out from the back. Good to see Omar get his first goal but the only thing to put a dampener on the result was seeing Paul Smyth on crutches at the final whistle.
  • Options
    Charlton are so much better without Maddison. So far he has not adopted our style of play which is short interlinking passes. He plays a through ball which doesn’t always find its man but doesn’t really get on with the way we play which I think has affected performances until now. Whether he can change this I am not sure. Glad for Bogle and Morgan. Can’t wait until we get back to the valley to see it live.
    Maddison should look at Williams' performance this afternoon as a benchmark

If Marcus can put in that effort with slightly better service than Jonny then he'd be lethal for us
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    That’s better - with Watson and Morgan outstanding. Just wish we could be rid of our injury woes.
    Sounds like Ipswich fans are thinking the same
  • Options
    Bows interview on the stream now.
  • Options

Jonny starts imho.
    If they couldn't see it clearly or didn't know how bad it was then they shouldn't have speculated about the serverity of the injury. FWIW I think they do a good job usually but I think this incident reflects badly on them.
  • Options
    PWR. Didn't see the whole match but what I did see was impressive. It makes Tuesday's performance even more baffling.
    Very pleased to see less messing around at the back and a higher intensity and pressing all over the pitch. There is no excuse going forward for anything less. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    The response we were all looking for after Tuesdays blip! Midfield looked good and Morgan was everywhere. Easily Watson’s best performance in a Charlton shirt. Need to carry it onto to Wednesday. 
    Hull v Doncaster on Wednesday night as well...
  • Options

Jonny starts imho.
    If they couldn't see it clearly or didn't know how bad it was then they shouldn't have speculated about the serverity of the injury. FWIW I think they do a good job usually but I think this incident reflects badly on them.
    Fairs fair, though ...... they are not professional broadcasters, just fans like you and me.

• Options
    Excellent win and performance, the attitude was so much better than on Tuesday. Partially it'll be because Bowyer bollocked them, but also because playing a big "team" like Ipswich brings out the best in the players and stops any complacency

Also helped by having a much better starting 11. Morgan and Aneke are clearly part of our best 11 at the moment, and Williams came in and did very well also. 

Morgan MOTM, he was everywhere. Aneke was a beast, Watson excellent, all across the pitch we played much better than Tuesday

I wasn't impressed with Ipswich, plenty of effort but there didn't seem much quality out. They looked like a well drilled "small" club rather than a former PL and Championship club. Last season they had a great start then slumped, this season seems to be going the same way. 2 defeats in 5 days to promotion rivals, 0-3 and 0-2 must hurt.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Jonny starts imho.
    Fairs fair, though ...... they are not professional broadcasters, just fans like you and me.

That's true and it's fine for people watching the game to speculate on the severity of the injury, but when you're broadcasting you should be more careful I.M.O. His family could've been watching and the commentators were telling us it looked like his ankle was badly broken.
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    From Twitter Smyth’s knee had a gash and was bleeding - could he have been stood on?

If that is the case that is good news and may only miss one game depending on swelling etc.
  • Options

Jonny starts imho.
    Why say he'd broken his ankle then? With respect, I thought at the time it was just a guess and that's exactly what it appears to have been. Was unnecessary, never looked like an ankle injury to me. 
  • Options
    Great result. Much better performance but how bad were Ipswich !
  • Options
    Just occurred to me - how many different scorers have we had this season? Just need Maatsen and Gunter to get on the sheet next!