Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov 2020

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Great result against a poor Ipswich side. They were worse than us the other night.

Still, good to build some confidence against a side that will no doubt be right up there.

Watson was solid and I thought Pratley did well after last week's debacle.

Ipswich didn't gift us two goals like we did the other night. We scored two good goals and were better in both areas. Ipswich had 63 % possession ( the most pointless stat in football) and Amos saved one goal ward bound effort and Gunter saved Pratley after Darren's mistake in hoping the ball would run out.

• Options
    A great performance after the Tuesday night debacle . Superb from Morgan , always thought he lacked pace ,but run his heart out there today . Some of Aneke's touches were unreal . Ipswich didn't threaten much and we could have had a few more . 
  • Options
    On that showing Burton should beat Ipswich about nine nil.

• Options
    Someone on earlier page said:
    ''Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them''.

They were sitting behind an iron girder (so they said)!
    Albie and Watson men of the match. We are always better when 
    Jonny starts imho.
    If they couldn't see it clearly or didn't know how bad it was then they shouldn't have speculated about the serverity of the injury. FWIW I think they do a good job usually but I think this incident reflects badly on them.
    If this is what we’re having to resort to moaning about I’ll take that as a clear indicator that we played well.

They weren’t speculating on anything. The reaction of a few players gave the impression it was an ugly injury. Gregg said it looked like his foot might be pointing at an odd angle. Turns out they were mistaken. They’re commentators and told us what they could see, or thought they could see. I’ve no idea why anyone would get offended by this, it’s no different to them getting a call on a penalty or corner wrong. 
    I'm not offended, just think it was unusually poor from them, because they definitely did speculate about the injury.

Anyway, more important things in life so no point in going on about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Epic. The spirit of 47!
  • Options
    Pleased Bogle got on the scoresheet, shame about Smyth, him, Maatsen and Doughty are our only real pace threats and 2/3 are now injured. 

Gunter and Pratley have for the most part been good as makeshift centre backs, Burton notwithstanding, but I really hope one of our regular centre backs is back soon so we can start rotating the squad a bit more
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Despite missing out on 5 points v Gillingham and Burton we're still on target. We're also only 2 points behind the 11/12 side after 13 games.

Us going from 3 points to 0 points has annoyed me every time I've looked at this. Please fix
  • Options
    That's more like it! Ipswich haven't really clicked yet despite their lofty league position and Lambert is not popular. Despite that this is a very welcome result after a tough week. My match report for Football Fans View;

http://thefootballfansview.com/2020/11/28/match-report-ipswich-town-charlton-athletic/ 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    After Steve Gallen heard Greg and Terry's comments he was already on the phone to his myriad of contacts to bring in a replacement before he was off the field in his buggy.

May just have a deep gash so be ok quite soon. One of these days one of our players will just get a flesh wound and we won't have to send a priest round to give the last rites.

Not the medical team fault OK.
  • Options
    What a difference from Tuesday. Good all round performance. Albie was outstanding today.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Williams much better in the middle, chucks different class as always, Morgan proving he should be in first 11 and Amos with a crucial save early on - if we could have left Williams and aneke on or replaced with same quality we could have won by 4 or 5 - that is what we have to address in the window 
    Totally agree about replacements (when subbed) for Williams & Aneke. Also still think we need to find a better 2nd striker than Smyth. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad but even though he did well today a proper goal poacher / No 9 would have finished 1of the 2 or 3 half chances that came his way this afternoon. 

Fill these 3 gaps then we have a good chance of going up this season. 
  • Options
    Ps. Glad Bows listened to me & went with starting with Aneke rather than bringing him on in the 2nd half. The stats between us scoring first & going on to win to conceding first & losing would make interesting reading. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great to get a win. Had a little nagging fear about squad togetherness midweek but thankfully no real evidence here. Was disappointed with Ipswich, who offered very little second half, but their style was much better suited for us.

Top class save from Amos after we took the lead could have been crucial. 

Going to be a real slog of a season this one. 
    Today was confirmation that Tuesday was just one of those nights where everything goes wrong. We won't have many of them this season.
  • Options
    Watson MOM? I must have been watching a different game
  • Options
    Great result. Much better performance but how bad were Ipswich !
    I’ve got to be honest, it might be a case that the way we played made them look bad, excellent result.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Despite missing out on 5 points v Gillingham and Burton we're still on target. We're also only 2 points behind the 11/12 side after 13 games.

Us going from 3 points to 0 points has annoyed me every time I've looked at this. Please fix
    Good spot, now updated.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Bilko said:
    Great result. Much better performance but how bad were Ipswich !
    I’ve got to be honest, it might be a case that the way we played made them look bad, excellent result.
    Bit of both perhaps. They have injuries of their own to deal with. 
  • Options
    PWR....good to be back on track and for Bogle to score, hopefully he can go on from this.