Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov 2020

Comments

• Options
    Hull still looking like the team to finish ahead of. 
    Still unsure of them myself... McCann has never won promotion as a Manager so question if he can last the distance
    He consistently has teams set up and playing well. I hope he’s going to fall short but I think this will be his and Hulls year. 
  • Options
    Someone on earlier page said:
    ''Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them''.

They were sitting behind an iron girder (so they said)!
    Albie and Watson men of the match. We are always better when 
    Jonny starts imho.
    Don’t they have screens as well?
  • Options
    Someone on earlier page said:
    ''Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them''.

They were sitting behind an iron girder (so they said)!
    Albie and Watson men of the match. We are always better when 
    Jonny starts imho.
    Don’t they have screens as well?
    Not normally.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting @ForeverAddickted

Always interesting to hear the opposition manager view. Great to hear him say we "outmuscled" them for the 2nd goal. 

Apart from the injuries during the game, I hadn't appreciated how many other players they have out. Definitely a good time for us to get this away game out of the way.  
    Any chance you could provide a breakdown of what he says then... Listened for a minute yet could barely understand his accent 
    To be honest he just repeated over and over again (at least 10 times) that they have to stick together.

Mentioned high amount of injuries, especially amongst midfielders, he's having to play a lot of inexperienced players. 

Agreed with the interviewer that the first goal is vitally important in games likes this. 

Didn't say much about us, apart from first goal only happened due to a deflection and we outmuscled them to score the second.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    paulfox said:
    Bowyer went back to basics today, defenders do defending an not try to play football between themselves, and everyone else do what there supposed to do. Simple and effective. Surprise surprise it worked!!. Thought Albie was first class today covered every blade as they say.Also think jonnie Williams did ok. But generally good and professional all round, what the hell was Tuesday all about!!!. C’mon you reds!!.
    Ipswich were always going to make a game of it and as a result create more space for the likes of Shinnie | Morgan | Williams to exploit

What we need to learn from Lincoln and Burton is how to beat the teams that'll crowd out our creative players, who'll give no space so that when we pump it long, they themselves can pick up the second balls or if we play it to feet ensure that we dont have options to get it round them - I worry at times that if we play too much long ball against the majority of sides in this Division then we're lowering ourselves to their tactics a bit much
  • Options
    Chuks scared the life out of them; they couldn't get near him. Albie excellent he and Jonny Williams had too much pace for them. Bogle? Well, he is yet to convince me. Finished well but can't see how Bowyer rates his work rate. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Lots of people saying they weren't impressed with Ipswich but I reckon it's credit to Charlton because we just didn't allow them to play as well as they can. They certainly have some skilful players but our marking of both players and space, and our pressing, was spot on today. They'll rip a few teams apart.
    There were 2 spells in both halves where Ipswich did not press us at all. I was really surprised by how half hearted they were.
    They must have watched our last 2 games and seen that we turn into an under 7s team when we are pressed. Either they were confident in their own game and decided they wouldn't change their style or like you say, we should take the credit for not allowing them to play.
    What I will say is that they I don't see them being near the top in my opinion. They may rip a few teams apart but without pressing and working hard in this league you aint going up. We were guilty of it last game, so I'm not knocking them too much.
    Anyway it looks like LB is getting through to our players on work rate and pressing - our midfield was very good today.

• Options
    EastStand said:
    From Twitter Smyth’s knee had a gash and was bleeding - could he have been stood on?
    Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them.
    There were a few occasions when Greg and Tel couldn’t see what those of us on the stream could see - as well as the Smith injury (they reckoned he’d done his ankle when it was clearly his knee) then they didn’t know who was coming on to replace Smyth (Bogle was standing in the touch line stripped and ready).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    We're just a bunch of full backs and a load of midfielders and nobody can handle us 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Bowyer went back to basics today, defenders do defending an not try to play football between themselves, and everyone else do what there supposed to do. Simple and effective. Surprise surprise it worked!!. Thought Albie was first class today covered every blade as they say.Also think jonnie Williams did ok. But generally good and professional all round, what the hell was Tuesday all about!!!. C’mon you reds!!.
    Ipswich were always going to make a game of it and as a result create more space for the likes of Shinnie | Morgan | Williams to exploit

What we need to learn from Lincoln and Burton is how to beat the teams that'll crowd out our creative players, who'll give no space so that when we pump it long, they themselves can pick up the second balls or if we play it to feet ensure that we dont have options to get it round them - I worry at times that if we play too much long ball against the majority of sides in this Division then we're lowering ourselves to their tactics a bit much
    I get your point about lowering ourselves, however it is still a pretty terrible league in terms of quality, although I thought fleetwood were good. I think we just need to get up even if it’s a bit ugly, the players we have are generally better than most so hopefully that will carry us through. Then once we’re up we get better players to play more educated and attractive football. I really do hate this division!!😂
  • Options
    Good performance against a disappointing Ipswich side. Not that I was disappointed, I'd like all our opposition to be disappointing. Thought Watson had his best game for us yet. Thought Williams played very well today as well, he didn't seem as frantic as usual and looked good with a bit more composure. As others have said though, I think Morgan did enough to be man of the match. Hope he's done enough in Bowyer's mind to secure himself a starting place. Pleased that Bogle got himself off the mark, hopefully that will relieve some pressure. Despite the reason for the enforced change, I enjoyed watching Bogle and Aneke on together. Don't suppose we'll see that too often as I think Bows probably wants a bit more variation in his strike force, but I think having two target men could give us something a bit different. Good win. Onwards and upwards!  
  • Options
    Well we responded better than I expected, and Ipswich were worse than I expected.  A much better game, good from almost everyone, Albie was everywhere and scored, Bogle got his first, good save from Amos and none of that pass it around the back 5 all the time stuff. Only downsides were Maatsen getting booked (pointlessly) and Smyth's injury.
  • Options
    Balanced with pace and precision...talking about the midfield. Morgan very good. Chuks is scary at this level. Thought the replacements did well too. Purrington very good. Good day’s work.
  • Options
    We're just a bunch of full backs and midfielders and nobody can handle us 
    Burton did a pretty good job of it tbf 
    Gillingham too. While we could have won that game, we certainly weren't comfortable like we were today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God, If you have not listened to this, and you are at an all time low
    then please don't play this video, this guy is the epitome of miserable
    dour depressing interviewing, what an inspiration he isn't to his team.
    What you could understand was "we have to get through this" umpteen 
    times, no wonder they are going through a low time, and as long as Lambert
    is in charge, well nuff said :'(
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    From Twitter Smyth’s knee had a gash and was bleeding - could he have been stood on?
    Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them.
    Terry didn’t say it, just myself - safe to say I got it completely wrong 😂

I could see his foot in a funny angle and briefly saw him clutching it too so assumed it was ankle related.

“Assume” is the right word and I was wrong to jump to conclusions!

Thankfully  it seems it wasn’t that serious but apologised shortly after I made that comment as it was clear it was misjudged!
    Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go, as I said in a previous post I enjoy your commentary, just one of those things.

No harm done thankfully 🤣
    Oh I know mate, no worries!

I just massively cringed when I heard it was a gashed knee, and thought I’d openly apologise. 

This is why I never looked into being a doctor 😂
    We've all done it, Greg.

I once told one of my players to 'run it off'.

I mean, it was only a broken leg.
  • Options
    Good solid win, back to direct football, score 2 goals and keep a clean sheet. Not sure why we played the way we did against Gillingham and Burton when this does the job. Well done the boys.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Do you really want to understand what he was saying, i doubt he knew that himself, total waffle ;)
  • Options
    PWR

We wanted a response and we got one. Whilst never quite at our best we set our stall out that we were not going to lose and maybe even nick something better which proved to be the case.

This was an efficient, professional team performance but Albie Morgan deserves a mention for another fine performance this time garnished with a deserved, well taken first goal for the Club. For me he was Man of The Match today although Ben Watson, with by far his best match for us so far, warrants a mention. The other individual to mention from my perspective  is the Charlton Life scapegoat Omar Bogle. I'm delighted for him that he responded to the events of Tuesday in the best possible fashion and you could almost see the tension leave him once that goal went in.

The only downside today was Smyth's injury which, with Washington injured, leaves us with just a porcelain Chuks and Bogle as fit recognised strikers. Let's hope Smyth's injury is not as longterm as it appeared it might be and the same for Washington too.

That was a fine win against a side likely to be top 6 come the end of the season and we are now back to averaging 2 points again. If we sustain that for the rest of the season any team that finishes above us deserves it frankly.

COYR!!!
  • Options
    Watson MOM? I must have been watching a different game
    He was my man of the match. 
  • Options
    Great win but slightly worried we have 2 forwards injured, 1 who needs to be managed through 90 mins and another who is still getting to fitness. Stay amongst it and the transfer window could be exciting.