Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov 2020

Comments

• Options
    Ipswich 18 points in 7 home games this season before today, so this win is a huge show of confidence to the boys today. 
    Wow makes the win even more impressive 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Pleased to see Bogle score but I’m not sure he’s a footballer. There was one point where Gilbey picked it up in midfield but instead of running away from him towards the Ipswich goal in the hope of a pass, Bogle instead ran towards Gilbey.
  • Options
    Very good performance, so different to Tuesday, I thought Ipswich looked decent. Well played Charlton
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Ladies and gentlemen, the last few days have demonstrated one thing:

Don't let the highs get too high, don't let the lows get too low.
    Ah, thanks for reminding us, Curbs  :smile:

Lord Llewellyn wasn't wrong though, was he?
  • Options
    That's 3 points, clean sheet and 2 very decent goals.

We've all got to be happy with that ....... eh, Golfie?  :smile:

• Options
    Morgan, Watson, Smyth, Aneke all top class today I thought.  Hope Smyth injury not too bad.  Good to see Bogle score and thought it was a tough one so should give him confidence.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    That's 3 points, clean sheet and 2 very decent goals.

We've all got to be happy with that ....... eh, Golfie?  :smile:

Steady on!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    That was so much better than Tuesday, Aneke is just a beast and played really well, he had their defence worried all game, then off goes Smyth and on comes beast number 2 and he scores with virtually his first touch. Watson got better as the game went on and it's his best game for us so far I think.
    Albie run his socks off and what a wonderful goal, Pratley still worries me at the back, but hoepfully Pearce and Akin will be back soon. Purrington was excellent when he came on, he'll play Wednesday with Marsteen serving a ban. Overall a 7/10 performance and we have some excellent players to come back into the side in the near future. In 3rd with a game in hand.....that'll do nicely.....what's not to like??

Edit-: a mention for Williams as well, his best game recently as well, think that's his best position.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc375 said:

Is that Thomas Sandgaard wearing a toupee?

• Options
    Workmanlike but LB will take that all day long. 
    Ipswich hit by injury as bad as we are so no surprise it wasn’t a cracker 
  • Options

I bet Ipswich wish they'd now kept the re-arranged date for 22nd December.

• Options
    Much more a typical Charlton performance under LB. 

Deserved win and a very professional performance. Albie Morgan MOM for me.

Thank Heavens we stopped trying to play it out from the back like the other night and at Gillingham. It might not be so pretty but we should stop pretending our players have the class of those at Man City to play that way.

Hope Smyth is not too badly injured. But I will say again, this lad shouldn't ne playing as one of the front two. He hasn't got the stature to do it, or the natural goalscoring instinct. 

Bogle looked "delighted" after scoring. Not.

Maybe the booking Maatsen got will be a blessing in disguise. He needs to have a bit of a reset.
  • Options
    Great result against a poor Ipswich side. They were worse than us the other night.

Still, good to build some confidence against a side that will no doubt be right up there.

Watson was solid and I thought Pratley did well after last week's debacle.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What a result that is. 2-0 away from home against a real promotion rival
    That they are not.
    Burton probably view us as a relegation rival then
  • Options
    Ipswich 18 points in 7 home games this season before today, so this win is a huge show of confidence to the boys today. 
    Isn't 18 from 7 games impossible?
  • Options
    And Watson didn’t get booked ... excellent  :D
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Bogle’s goal came within minutes (seconds?) of him coming on the pitch (ohhh er). He must have been buzzing. 
    He certainly didn't look like it! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    EastStand said:
    From Twitter Smyth’s knee had a gash and was bleeding - could he have been stood on?
    Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them.
  • Options
    Great result and a clean sheet. Very happy.

Just need to keep picking up points. 
  • Options
    Isn't 18 from 7 games impossible?
    No it isn’t.
  • Options
    Feel better after that. 
    Got our mojo back. 
    Morgan MOM
    Chucks superb tackle fir the first goal 
    Amos top quality save at 1-0. 
    I did smile at the Mick Mills commentary - Gunter and Pratley are vulnerable in those make-shift positions. 
    Mick - they’ve played about 800 games of footy so far. 

Bring on MJD Shrews and the Real Dons. 
    Can’t wait. 
  • Options
    great result

Bogle getting off the mark, after the last game which must have been one of the low points of his career, could be massive for our season
  • Options
    Much better more intensity in our game.

Felt sorry for Williams being taken off so early thought he did well today.

Watson looked better but Alfie my MOM today.
  • Options
    Ipswich were very poor. Looks as though a lot of their fans want Lambert out and someone like Cowley in. If that happens you can see them picking up, although I never threatened and would be surprised if they finish top 6. 

Went back to basics a little bit today and it worked a treat. Watson and Morgan dominated the midfield, assisted by the tidy Shinnie and Williams showes some decent glimpses. Aneke wasn't great but still a threat. Smyth also a threat but his final ball is poor (very spongefoot at times). 

Thought Maatsen was probably about our worst player (not particularly terrible) and I think the booking gives him a well earned rest. Purrington is arguably the best back up LB in the League so will do fine.

Smyth's injury could leave us short up front, need to get through December and get one in January. Hopefully was just a knock for Washington and he's back in the week. I wouldn't be against either Ghandour or Wassim being in the squad though.