Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov 2020

Comments

• Ipswich 18 points in 7 home games this season before today, so this win is a huge show of confidence to the boys today. 
    They lost Tuesday at home and were lucky against Shrewsbury last Saturday where they conceded their first home goal of the season...on a slide possibly. 
    Be interested to see how they'd have done with Gwion Edwards in their Midfield

Very good player at this level, along with Jon Nolan (scored the Shrewsbury goal at the Valley in the Play-Offs)

Both of whom were absent today
  • DOUCHER said:
    Williams much better in the middle, chucks different class as always, Morgan proving he should be in first 11 and Amos with a crucial save early on - if we could have left Williams and aneke on or replaced with same quality we could have won by 4 or 5 - that is what we have to address in the window 
    Totally agree about replacements (when subbed) for Williams & Aneke. Also still think we need to find a better 2nd striker than Smyth. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad but even though he did well today a proper goal poacher / No 9 would have finished 1of the 2 or 3 half chances that came his way this afternoon. 

Fill these 3 gaps then we have a good chance of going up this season. 
    Agreed - chucks is the only striker I’m happy with tbh -Smyth looks s nearly man to me although I think he’s more useful than wash or boggle who r squad fillers 
  • Addickted said:
    What a difference from the Burton performance, where the players thought they just had to turn up to win. I couldn't be bothered even looking at that post match thread.

LB stopping the playing out from the back like were Man City and Ipswich not pressing anywhere as much as we did, allowed us to play to our strengths considering who was available.

100% effort from the whole team is what I want to see and we got that today. They all deserve tomorrow off.

Morgan MOTM, with some superb performances from Watson and Williams.

At one point it looked like Smyth had two kneecaps. As he got on the golf cart under his own steam, it's hopefully not as bad as I thought.

Somewhat ironic username then, mate...   :) 
  • Lee Bowyer's post-match press conference is available for Valley Pass subscribers and those that purchased a live video pass for the Addicks game against Ipswich Town.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fc28c9113978/bowyer-full-of-praise-for-morgan-and-bogle-after-impressive-win-at-ipswich
  • Very happy with that. Marked improvement and suggests that Tuesday was a one off hopefully. Aneke, Morgan and Williams made a real difference. Looking forward to Wednesday. COYRs 
  • Great result. Much better performance but how bad were Ipswich !

Or you could say .......But how bad did we make Ipswich look?

We won because we were on our game.

• edited November 2020
    Leuth said:
    Just occurred to me - how many different scorers have we had this season? Just need Maatsen and Gunter to get on the sheet next!
    Many of us may well crave a 20-goal striker ......... but next best thing, the goals are starting to come from all over the pitch.

• That’s more like it 👍👍👍
    once we have two of our three Key men back 
    We will be unstoppable!!
    come on you reds 👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

• For much of the first half they had two on Chuks and he more than occupied them. A massive player for us.
  • EastStand said:
    From Twitter Smyth’s knee had a gash and was bleeding - could he have been stood on?
    Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them.
    Terry didn’t say it, just myself - safe to say I got it completely wrong 😂

I could see his foot in a funny angle and briefly saw him clutching it too so assumed it was ankle related.

“Assume” is the right word and I was wrong to jump to conclusions!

Thankfully  it seems it wasn’t that serious but apologised shortly after I made that comment as it was clear it was misjudged!
    Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go, as I said in a previous post I enjoy your commentary, just one of those things.

No harm done thankfully 🤣
  • Great to see dark Blues vs resplendent Reds kit colours. Makes for much better viewing.
  • EastStand said:
    From Twitter Smyth’s knee had a gash and was bleeding - could he have been stood on?
    Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them.
    Terry didn’t say it, just myself - safe to say I got it completely wrong 😂

I could see his foot in a funny angle and briefly saw him clutching it too so assumed it was ankle related.

“Assume” is the right word and I was wrong to jump to conclusions!

Thankfully  it seems it wasn’t that serious but apologised shortly after I made that comment as it was clear it was misjudged!
    Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go, as I said in a previous post I enjoy your commentary, just one of those things.

No harm done thankfully 🤣
    Oh I know mate, no worries!

I just massively cringed when I heard it was a gashed knee, and thought I’d openly apologise. 

This is why I never looked into being a doctor 😂
  • Thanks for posting @ForeverAddickted

Always interesting to hear the opposition manager view. Great to hear him say we "outmuscled" them for the 2nd goal. 

Apart from the injuries during the game, I hadn't appreciated how many other players they have out. Definitely a good time for us to get this away game out of the way.  
  • To be fair, the way he bent his ankle behind him and then sat on it, it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd broken a bone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lee Bowyer's red and white army
  • I think we caught Ipswich on both a bad day and without key players. I’m still convinced they will be up there in and about the playoffs come the end. 
  • jonno said:
    Chuks involved in pretty much every single of our highlight moments on this. 
  • Hull still looking like the team to finish ahead of. 

Always interesting to hear the opposition manager view. Great to hear him say we "outmuscled" them for the 2nd goal. 

Apart from the injuries during the game, I hadn't appreciated how many other players they have out. Definitely a good time for us to get this away game out of the way.  
    Any chance you could provide a breakdown of what he says then... Listened for a minute yet could barely understand his accent 
  • Hull still looking like the team to finish ahead of. 
    Still unsure of them myself... McCann has never won promotion as a Manager so question if he can last the distance
  • We seemed to stop the aimless passing out from the back and playing amongst the back four. Almost every ball from Amos was hit long, looking for Aneke, then trying to win the ball higher up the pitch. It seemed to suit the team much better. I'm not saying we should become a long ball team, but accurate passes further down the pitch appeared to suit our style of play.

Any chance you could provide a breakdown of what he says then... Listened for a minute yet could barely understand his accent 
    We’ve gotta stick together. Over and over again.
  • Chuks did so well for our first goal. Nice play from Williams too.