Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• The number of occasions we just played the ball across the defence and back to Amos worries me. I am at a loss to see the tactic that would benefit from this constant passing around just outside our penalty Area. Clearly an indication that our midfield would appear to be absent and unable to receive a ball. 

We are Atletico Charlton, the Third Division equivalent of Barcelona.

Steve Gallen will sign Messi on loan in January.

• The expected goals graph does rather back up the point that for all our possession, we didn't really create many clear cut chances

• robroy said:
    #JusticeforBogle

Washington was on the field and was the designated Penalty taker. If after the good save by the keeper Washington loses the job, then that is decided before the next match. I don't believe he will because it was a good save and not a "Lookman" type miss.

If Bowyer feels Bogle works hard I will accept that because watching on a screen isn't ideal to see what players do off the ball but he doesn't seem to anticipate well. The only time he did, he won a penalty against Blackpool. Has his moments in some games but doesn't look like a top six striker in this division but as Lee said maybe scoring one goal he will go on to score a cluster. Bogle still has time to shine.

We need our midfielders to score their share of goals. Morgan, Shinnie, Maddison, Watson, Gilbey and Pratley. It may make the difference between top 2 and play offs.

We are on schedule but still only in 3rd gear.
  • Not our best performance looked rusty and off the pace but still controlled the game for most of it and picked up a point and could of won. Think that bodes well. 

• If that’s one of our worse performances of the season then we will be fine this season. However, bad we were today we should have won that. We created enough chances to win that. 

For what ever reason things weren’t working for Bogle, Washington & Maddison up top. A complete lack of composure by them, and poor decision making in the final 3rd. Always difficult to get a win when all three strikers are having poor matches. Aneke & Symth looked dangerous when they come on. 

A win at Burton and that will be forgotten about. 
  • robroy said:
    #JusticeforBogle

Washington was on the field and was the designated Penalty taker. If after the good save by the keeper Washington loses the job, then that is decided before the next match. I don't believe he will because it was a good save and not a "Lookman" type miss.

If Bowyer feels Bogle works hard I will accept that because watching on a screen isn't ideal to see what players do off the ball but he doesn't seem to anticipate well. The only time he did, he won a penalty against Blackpool. Has his moments in some games but doesn't look like a top six striker in this division but as Lee said maybe scoring one goal he will go on to score a cluster. Bogle still has time to shine.

We need our midfielders to score their share of goals. Morgan, Shinnie, Maddison, Watson, Gilbey and Pratley. It may make the difference between top 2 and play offs.

We are on schedule but still only in 3rd gear.
    "He worked hard" is to me the soft soap managers use to try and support non scoring strikers
  • A point .
    Your point being?
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    MattF said:
    At least that game likely increased the odds of the Range Rover winner being a Charlton fan, no one that isn't a Charlton fan will be buying anymore streams 
    That's the whole idea isn't it that the car is going to a CAFC fan
    Won't go down too well if not surely, or am i missing something :/
    Anyone can enter it by buying a valley pass stream, so there's scope for other teams fans to fancy an entry for a tenner
    True Burton fans could buy their stream from us, as opposed from their own source on Tuesday and put themselves in with a chance. 
    Anyone without a SE, BR or DA postcode should be allowed to enter. Simples....😄
  • robroy said:
    #JusticeforBogle
    #justleaveitbogle
  • Some more observations.......

Great midfield and think Morgan & Shinnie shared MOTM. Up front Washington & Bogle are not a great pairing & both need to do better. 

I don't think being away from home makes much difference anymore. No fans in grounds means there is very little home "advantage".

Out of the teams in the top half of the table only Accrington  have scored less than us. Yes teams have played more games than us but I dont see us scoring 4's & 5's like Pompey & Hull did today. Tuesday we are playing Burton. They are bottom of the table with the worst GD in the League......with even Northampton hitting 3 past them today. Will we do the same....??  I very much doubt it. 
    Only 3 for Hull today Golfie.  Anyway I’m going to back us to win 5-0 now. 
    Sorry, I meant Fleetwood. 
  • MattF said:
    MattF said:
    At least that game likely increased the odds of the Range Rover winner being a Charlton fan, no one that isn't a Charlton fan will be buying anymore streams 
    That's the whole idea isn't it that the car is going to a CAFC fan
    Won't go down too well if not surely, or am i missing something :/
    Anyone can enter it by buying a valley pass stream, so there's scope for other teams fans to fancy an entry for a tenner
    True Burton fans could buy their stream from us, as opposed from their own source on Tuesday and put themselves in with a chance. 
    Anyone without a SE, BR or DA postcode should be allowed to enter. Simples....😄
    Any Charlton member, don't matter where you come from
  • AndyG said:
    I think we were unlucky today. We deserved to win and on another day could have easily scored 2 or 3 more goals. MM I thought did ok although will get better with more matches. Bogle needs a goal to get himself going which will come as he is working hard for the team. If Chucks could start and play a full match regularly he would be top class, unfortunately I think he is destined to be an impact substitute as he always seems to come on and cause havoc but doesnt when he starts. Midfield of Morgan and Shinnie looks full of promise. 
    I must have been watching a different game to you as I don't see how you think we could have scored 2 or 3. Apart from the penalty we didn't have a clear cut chance & I don't remember their keeper making a save (apart from Watson's long range effort that was hitting the bar at best). Amos was probably the busier keeper & kept us in it before half time.

Although the strikers get a lot of grief on here (from me mainly...😃) it can't be easy if no-one is making any chances for them. No dangerous crosses or through balls. Working off scraps most of the time.
  • I still don't understand the fitness issues with Aneke. He impressed me the first time I saw him play in the Solly testimonial yet hasn't delivered as I've expected.
  • I will assume that any lol are for my last five words. I laughed myself when I read it over. 
    But I stand by the rest of it. He even stopped us taking a free kick because he was too tired to keep up the pace.
  • Relieved to have got the point, but we deserved more. Onwards...
  • Sponsored links:

Great midfield and think Morgan & Shinnie shared MOTM. Up front Washington & Bogle are not a great pairing & both need to do better. 

I don't think being away from home makes much difference anymore. No fans in grounds means there is very little home "advantage".

Out of the teams in the top half of the table only Accrington  have scored less than us. Yes teams have played more games than us but I dont see us scoring 4's & 5's like Pompey & Hull did today. Tuesday we are playing Burton. They are bottom of the table with the worst GD in the League......with even Northampton hitting 3 past them today. Will we do the same....??  I very much doubt it. 
    We might not score many but we concede even less. We’ve let in 8 goals all season which is the best in the league. Northampton might have scored 3 but we probably only need to score 1. I would take 1-0 in the next two games.
  • Reminder to those getting carried away that we’re actually not as good as some people think we are. We’ll be alright and up there in the mix but we’re going to have to work very hard.
    This 100%

We might not score many but we concede even less. We’ve let in 8 goals all season which is the best in the league. Northampton might have scored 3 but we probably only need to score 1. I would take 1-0 in the next two games.
    Exactly. Over the past 8 games we have the second highest goal difference in the league. I don't know what this obsession with scoring 4-5 is. 
  • I'd have probably taken that before the game. I would definitely have taken that after seeing the lineups and our lack of central defenders. Yet, I am a little disappointed about the outcome after what was a bizarre game due to the wind, which clearly messed things around. Neither team ever looked all that settled.

We should have scored our penalty and thus should have won. Theirs was obviously very soft (was there even contact? I genuinely couldn't tell), and we're gonna be justified in complaining about it, but that this wasn't 2-1 is on us I guess. Dunno if the Bogle thing was a big deal but I knew where Washington was going to aim all day long based on how he shaped up. So did the keeper: he was moving before the ball was struck. A good save.

As for the rest of it... We were better and didn't really look like conceding. Gillingham played about as well as you'd expect a general League One team to and we found it hard work breaking them down. Maatsen was too often overcommitted on the left, leaving Graham plenty of room, but he'll learn. Watson is growing on me slowly, but he's still a tad ponderous and isn't quite creative enough when on the ball. Pratley was, strangely, a bit too honest and their bloke should have been sent off for the foul on him. Gunter and Matthews both fine. Amos made two great saves.

Morgan looked good with the ball at his feet - some lovely incisive ideas, even if not all of them came off. Same too with Shinnie, who wasn't quite as effective. But I fear his legs go a little early in games: he's not the most athletic player we have. Washington fairly industrious but missed a pen; Maddison very frustrating but his ideas will eventually bear fruit; Bogle did fairly well in what was in stretches quite a lonely job. Aneke and Smyth great when coming on (particularly the latter); Purrington didn't have enough time on the pitch; Gilbey maybe should've scored but that would have taken a very good finish for someone who'd just come on and come back from injury.

Anyway. You'd take a point given that lineup, so the disappointment is mitigated. Onwards and upwards.
  • How can anyone say Gunter tripping their bloke wasn't a penalty? A foul is a foul intentional or not. He tripped the bloke in our box!
  • edited November 2020
    Our midfield should have played at a higher tempo. When we press and move the ball at speed there aren't many teams that can live with us but today we didn't put them under any sustained pressure. Still it's not a bad result as long as we back it up with a win next week.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    How can anyone say Gunter tripping their bloke wasn't a penalty? A foul is a foul intentional or not. He tripped the bloke in our box!
    Totally agree. He may not have meant it but he clearly clipped the blokes heels. 

A clear penalty for me. 
  • edited November 2020
    Bored stiff for large parts of that. Too sideways Robinson like for me. 

And not sure Ifollow /EFL or whoever it is should be charging 10 quid, when 1 of the 4 corners is out of camera shot. 

Other than the brief spell at the end of 18/19 where we won 4-0, Bowyer sides never win by a large goal margin (and rarely lose by a large margin either).  Does it make much difference as long as we win? 
  • Gillingham were easily the worst team we have this season. They got a point but they deserved no more and you could argue they didn't deserve a point!

We should have smashed them today.