Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Like others I’m really concerned at this result.

In the last 8 games we have only taken 20 points and, ok whilst we haven’t lost, we’ve drawn two of them. If this piss poor run is extrapolated we’re only going to win the division by as little as 15 to 20 points.

WTF is going on?!
     :D 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I’ve read a few people in the player marks thread saying it was a pen because Gunter made contact. Isnt football a contact sport?

For it to be a pen, there needs to be a foul, not contact. There wasn’t a foul.

for both pens, 6ft plus forwards went down do easy! I don’t enjoy football as much as I did 10 years ago, any touch and players go down like they’ve been shot
    Agree. I'm always hearing this contact argument; in fact it's the only thing I don't like about our commentary duo. I guess that they are both under 30 and have a different idea of what football is compared to those of us who watched football in 70s, 80s or earlier.
    I'm beginning to find myself laughing at the players in most matches I watch. I find it sad.
    Oh come on that's absolute nonsense. Ignoring the comment about the commentators which is wrong and also labelling anyone born after 1980 has no idea about what is and isn't a foul. Fact of the matter is Gunts tripped the player. Fully appreciate it wasn't intentional but that's not what defines a foul and in this case a penalty.

Was it soft? I guess in terms of was it a two footed lunge at the ball, while Gunts was drinking a pint of mild and smoking a fag as they would have been in 1975 then no it wasn't. I'm sure nearly every single one of us on this forum would want a penalty if it was on one of our own. 
    1. If I'm wrong about the commentators' age then so be it, but nevertheless they still go on about contact being the be all and end all. Have the 'contact police' forgotten how Klinnsman' was derided when he arrived in England in the nineties? Rightly so imo.

2. The rules have changed. It should be for an intentional foul.  This is the problem with handball at present.

3. You say that Gunter tripping the player is a 'fact of the matter.'
    I don't think that at all after having watched it it in 'slow mo' numerous times last night.
    The ref didn't see it at the time and he was nearest to it. Perhaps this was because there was no contact.

You use the word nonsense. Football is fast turning into a nonsense, and players are looking ridiculous, falling over every minute for 'contact' and 'drawing the foul.' 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I’ve read a few people in the player marks thread saying it was a pen because Gunter made contact. Isnt football a contact sport?

for both pens, 6ft plus forwards went down do easy! I don’t enjoy football as much as I did 10 years ago, any touch and players go down like they’ve been shot
    Agree. I'm always hearing this contact argument; in fact it's the only thing I don't like about our commentary duo. I guess that they are both under 30 and have a different idea of what football is compared to those of us who watched football in 70s, 80s or earlier.
    I'm beginning to find myself laughing at the players in most matches I watch. I find it sad.
    Oh come on that's absolute nonsense. Ignoring the comment about the commentators which is wrong and also labelling anyone born after 1980 has no idea about what is and isn't a foul. Fact of the matter is Gunts tripped the player. Fully appreciate it wasn't intentional but that's not what defines a foul and in this case a penalty.

Was it soft? I guess in terms of was it a two footed lunge at the ball, while Gunts was drinking a pint of mild and smoking a fag as they would have been in 1975 then no it wasn't. I'm sure nearly every single one of us on this forum would want a penalty if it was on one of our own. 
    1. If I'm wrong about the commentators' age then so be it, but nevertheless they still go on about contact being the be all and end all. Have the 'contact police' forgotten how Klinnsman' was derided when he arrived in England in the nineties? Rightly so imo.

2. The rules have changed. It should be for an intentional foul.  This is the problem with handball at present.

I don't think that at all after having watched it it in 'slow mo' numerous times last night.
    The ref didn't see it at the time and he was nearest to it. Perhaps this was because there was no contact.

You use the word nonsense. Football is fast turning into a nonsense, and players are looking ridiculous, falling over every minute for 'contact' and 'drawing the foul.' 
    Spot on. There is a difference between contact and a foul. Neither penalty was a penalty based on no fouls being committed! Contact was made for both, but neither were fouls. If football carry’s on like this, it will be very similar to netball by the 2025 season!!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Gills keeper in team of the week.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    #JusticeforBogle

Washington was on the field and was the designated Penalty taker. If after the good save by the keeper Washington loses the job, then that is decided before the next match. I don't believe he will because it was a good save and not a "Lookman" type miss.

If Bowyer feels Bogle works hard I will accept that because watching on a screen isn't ideal to see what players do off the ball but he doesn't seem to anticipate well. The only time he did, he won a penalty against Blackpool. Has his moments in some games but doesn't look like a top six striker in this division but as Lee said maybe scoring one goal he will go on to score a cluster. Bogle still has time to shine.

We need our midfielders to score their share of goals. Morgan, Shinnie, Maddison, Watson, Gilbey and Pratley. It may make the difference between top 2 and play offs.

We are on schedule but still only in 3rd gear.
    "He worked hard" is to me the soft soap managers use to try and support non scoring strikers

Yes I tend to agree with that assessment and Lee will indulge in Manager speak as much as the next manager.

The team having 4 or 5 changes every match because of fatigue and injuries will affect the performance and make as look careless at times  Pep does that at City but TBF to Cafc players, we are League 1 and City are a mega rich team owned by UAE Sheikhs with a team stuffed with world class players.

We have a good 18 most weeks in League 1 but don't expect a sublime 45 minutes of beautiful passing that didn't give Forest a kick in the 1st half at the Valley. We only scored one in that game and it ended 1-1.

Bowyer will need to ring the changes as the games come sat-tues-sat.

Our squad will continue to be our strength but the reality is how good we are in both boxes will decide if we make the top 6 or even the top 2. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    I have a friend who is always the voice of reason. A long term Charlton supporter who you could never call an optimist.
    Over the years he has predicted a lot of what has happened on the pitch with incredible accuracy.
    His prediction for this season? He doesn’t think we will lose more than 1 or 2 more games. He thinks we will be top and clear by the beginning of April. He has put his money where his mouth is and backed Charlton to win the league at a variety of prices.

Is your friend, Golfie addick ?
  • Options
    3 months ago we were on the brink of not having a club, now we are crying over getting a point at gills - at least it wasn’t a loss COYA
    no crying or even moaning from me - just commenting on our team and yesterday's match - makes a nice change to be discussing football rather than boardroom issues
  • Options
    Nice to see Bows finally getting softer with his words :)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Amos getting lots of 7's/8's out of 10 in the player marks match. Made a few good saves, but complete airpunch in the first half which there guy headed over. Easy catch which he fumbled in the fist half and they nearly scored. Maybe even should have come out quicker for the penalty we conceded! Rose tinted glasses.
    He kept us in it in the first half.
    He literally made more errors than not first half?
    Of course its easy to only remember the good things someone does

But I only remember Gillingham coming close to scoring twice in the first half

There was that point blank save (Yes the Gillingham player should have done better but thats not really Ben's fault is it?) - Then there was the double save as well wasnt there when the Gillingham player was allowed to run on to ball which Amos blocked away

He then got a hand to the penalty, FYI he cant come out quicker as one foot has to stay on the line...

Certainly doesnt scare me with his catching - End of the day, Football is about opinions, we'll all have different views on things
    He did some good things, some bad things. Not trying to knock him too much because i like him and  hes a good keeper. I would say this as an example. There was a corner in the first half which he tried to punch and got absolutely nowhere near and imo should have stayed on his line. Now their guy flicked the header over and because he missed no one says anything about his mistake. But it could have cost us and only didn’t because there guy is poor. 
    Yes, you're quite right, Amos has made 2 or 3 mistakes that hasn't cost us a goal all season.
    It's 22nd November today.
    He's the best keeper in the league on current form and better than half the Premier League keepers as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amos getting lots of 7's/8's out of 10 in the player marks match. Made a few good saves, but complete airpunch in the first half which there guy headed over. Easy catch which he fumbled in the fist half and they nearly scored. Maybe even should have come out quicker for the penalty we conceded! Rose tinted glasses.
    Which L1 keeper is better than Amos?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Philips was one of the best keepers in the Championship last season. Amos is a Championship standard keeper (maybe higher) playing in League 1 and we are lucky to have him after he quite rightly sat on the bench waiting for Phillips to lose form or get injured( not say number 2 keepers want their college to get injured !) Dillon did neither and Ben had to be patience.

All keepers will make mistakes: anyone watching Pickford, de Gea and Lloris will be aware of that. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    How can anyone say Gunter tripping their bloke wasn't a penalty? A foul is a foul intentional or not. He tripped the bloke in our box!
    Totally agree. He may not have meant it but he clearly clipped the blokes heels. 

A clear penalty for me. 
    The laws don't mention intent but a foul has to be careless, reckless or using excessive force.  

Personally I don't see Gunter's play to meet any of those tests and if the referee received advice to the contrary he should have ignored it.
    I think tripping up their player (accidentally) is careless.
    How can it not be careless?
    He should have avoided him, although I feel Gunter stumbled.

It's a bit like a driver getting too close to the car in front.
    If there's a knock/collision it's the fault of the person behind.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

So fouls should only be awarded for an intentional foul? Just how would you decide what is and isn't intentional? If a player was genuinely trying to win the ball but just missed it and took out a player in the box that wouldn't be a penalty according to you? 

The only valid point you've raised is about the referee but maybe he didn't see it as his view was blocked? If he was so certain there was no contact he wouldn't have let the 4th official overrule him. The only thing I would question was how the 4th official saw it so clearly or was it a guess? They will argue that they arrived at the correct decision (seems you are in the minority thinking it wasn't). 
  • Options
    What’s the relevance of that? 

It’s the player marks and post match thread from yesterday’s game. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

So fouls should only be awarded for an intentional foul? Just how would you decide what is and isn't intentional? If a player was genuinely trying to win the ball but just missed it and took out a player in the box that wouldn't be a penalty according to you? 

The only valid point you've raised is about the referee but maybe he didn't see it as his view was blocked? If he was so certain there was no contact he wouldn't have let the 4th official overrule him. The only thing I would question was how the 4th official saw it so clearly or was it a guess? They will argue that they arrived at the correct decision (seems you are in the minority thinking it wasn't). 
    Maybe we could do a who wants to be a millionaire style ask the audience. Yes or no whether it was intentional, free kick awarded if the majority thinks it was. 

In all seriousness though I agree. 95% of fouls aren't deliberate, and deciding what was or wasn't would be ridiculous. I do think it's getting a little bit silly with players going down easily, it's actually taught now to go down rather than try play on which is what happens except in a handful of cases. Even then I've seen players go down when they've got a decent shooting chance and the contact was minimal. 
  • Options
    Bogle has been a menace, id be surprised if anyone cant see that. 

Shame they didn't give him the pen, that he won, especially as he needs a goal more than wash (plus i backed him).

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Bowyer praised Bogle yesterday for his work rate, and that is the most important person to impress. I have doubts about him but will always give him 100% support when he starts or comes off the bench. On Valley pass or eventually back at the Valley.
    I support players during a match but expect the manager to replace if they are struggling or to get fresh legs on.

David Jarvis was economical with the truth when he said he has been fantastic every match But Bogle is a success in my opinion as he is a professional footballer and I know thousands of kids who failed to achieve that. Many on CL !
  • Options
    If an attacker accidentally tripped a defender and, as a result, strolled through to score a goal, no one would ever consider allowing the goal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awwwww 

I really do feel for the guy. He really hasn't been bad. I think blaming him in any way for Washington's miss is ludicrous. Once the penalty is yours, you need to have the bottle and skill to pick a spot and hit it. Washington almost did all of that perfectly - he probably needed to put it a foot nearer the post, or go aerial. 
  • Options
    You really can't argue with the results so far this season (or at least since Thomas's arrival) but we have rarely played for extended periods with any real cohesion and fluidity, and yesterday was no exception. The reason isn't hard to see, as we have had to deploy a number of different formations and many different players. Isn't it true that, outside of the real elite clubs like Man City and Chelsea, the teams that do best tend to be those that use the least number of players and try to keep their starting XI as stable as possible? Lee Bowyer just hasn't had that luxury. He's been juggling a squad that was put together belatedly, with a number of players lacking match fitness, and beset by a spate of injuries. I'm hoping that, as injuries clear up, players reach peak fitness and Lee establishes a clear preferred starting line up, we will be able to get more consistency and see a corresponding improvement in the quality of our play.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    How can anyone say Gunter tripping their bloke wasn't a penalty? A foul is a foul intentional or not. He tripped the bloke in our box!
    Totally agree. He may not have meant it but he clearly clipped the blokes heels. 

A clear penalty for me. 
    Do you know, I've slowed the highlights footage of the incident right down, watched it over and over .... and I still can't see there was any contact by tripping or clipping heels.

All I see was Gunther's head go down as the opponent's arm seems to flail behind - and then the opponent suddenly hit the deck as if he'd been shot.
    Was that the contact, if any?

Maybe a different camera angle can shed more light on it?

• Options
    Maybe you misread my post because I don't understand the relevance of the question. I'm pretty sure Amos is one of the best keepers in the league, although I can't say i watch other league one matches. I think he had an average game, certainly for his high standards. 
  • Options
    3 months ago we were on the brink of not having a club, now we are crying over getting a point at gills - at least it wasn’t a loss COYA
    I think brink of not having a club is an exaggeration, and with your logic we should just be content with plodding along in league 1 for a while because at least we have a club? People are a little disappointed with a point wouldn’t say we are crying - rant over
    don't think it is an exaggeration - if fans are not back within the the next 12 months can see a few clubs going. 

just back from international break and a few players back from injury - some fans think we should walk this league aint gonna happen, be happy with playoffs anything else is a bonus. 
  • Options
    'CLEARLY clipped the bloke' heels'

There must be another camera angle available to a select few.

@Fortune 82nd Minute
  • Options
    Seeing some harsh Bogle comments on twitter and it's a shame he has noticed them himself. Bogle from the start with Chuks coming on and scoring is working so why change it? Chuks will break down very quickly if he starts games.