Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Gillingham were easily the worst team we have this season. They got a point but they deserved no more and you could argue they didn't deserve a point!

We should have smashed them today.
    If we had Kermogant or Taylor in this side we'd certainly complete the jigsaw.
  • Options
    No more injuries (that we know of anyway) at least which was a big plus
  • Options
    I feel it was decent point in the end. Both penalties were very soft, they converted theirs, we didn’t! 

Wish Bogle hadn’t argued the penalty as it put extra pressure on Washington, it’s ultimately cost us the three points, I feel we deserved.

Good character to keep going but we missed too many chances and looked disjointed in some parts of the game. Gilbey still some way off it but that’s to be expected. 

Onwards to Burton on Tuesday, need to go again. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    We do seem to look after our players more than most in terms of managing their time on the pitch. It is puzzling how we seem to get more injuries than other teams. But it could just be bad luck. We are due some good luck.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    I feel it was decent point in the end. Both penalties were very soft, they converted theirs, we didn’t! 

Wish Bogle hadn’t argued the penalty as it put extra pressure on Washington, it’s ultimately cost us the three points, I feel we deserved.

Good character to keep going but we missed too many chances and looked disjointed in some parts of the game. Gilbey still some way off it but that’s to be expected. 

Onwards to Burton on Tuesday, need to go again. 
    I doubt that made a difference. Washington is a Frank Lampard taker rather than a Yoni Buyens taker. A Johnnie Jackson taker rather than a Darren Bent taker. It wasn't a terrible penalty, but by definition, it was saveable. But it did require a good save.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    On top of those. Morgan's shot that was deflected over. Watson from halfway line, close range soft effort from Watson, Bogle just not getting to a ball from Morgan, Aneke header that would have fallen nicely for Gilbey had he missed it and Maatson should have slipped the pass through for a 1 on 1 at the end. On a normal day we get at least a couple.
  • Options
    Amos getting lots of 7's/8's out of 10 in the player marks match. Made a few good saves, but complete airpunch in the first half which there guy headed over. Easy catch which he fumbled in the fist half and they nearly scored. Maybe even should have come out quicker for the penalty we conceded! Rose tinted glasses.
    He kept us in it in the first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Happy to get myself another goal, well fought draw from the boys... my Instagram account has been hacked be back soon

• Options
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    At least that game likely increased the odds of the Range Rover winner being a Charlton fan, no one that isn't a Charlton fan will be buying anymore streams 
    That's the whole idea isn't it that the car is going to a CAFC fan
    Won't go down too well if not surely, or am i missing something :/
    Anyone can enter it by buying a valley pass stream, so there's scope for other teams fans to fancy an entry for a tenner
    In theory yes but will they want the hassle of having to register with Valley Pass in order to buy the stream in the first place when they can do it via their own club?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    LenGlover said:
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    At least that game likely increased the odds of the Range Rover winner being a Charlton fan, no one that isn't a Charlton fan will be buying anymore streams 
    Anyone can enter it by buying a valley pass stream, so there's scope for other teams fans to fancy an entry for a tenner
    In theory yes but will they want the hassle of having to register with Valley Pass in order to buy the stream in the first place when they can do it via their own club?
    Theory is a wonderful thing, it's a loophole that is a shame could be exploited,
    just a possibility that's all, and could rebound?

• Options
    I’ve read a few people in the player marks thread saying it was a pen because Gunter made contact. Isnt football a contact sport?

For it to be a pen, there needs to be a foul, not contact. There wasn’t a foul.

for both pens, 6ft plus forwards went down do easy! I don’t enjoy football as much as I did 10 years ago, any touch and players go down like they’ve been shot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Amos getting lots of 7's/8's out of 10 in the player marks match. Made a few good saves, but complete airpunch in the first half which there guy headed over. Easy catch which he fumbled in the fist half and they nearly scored. Maybe even should have come out quicker for the penalty we conceded! Rose tinted glasses.
    He literally made more errors than not first half?
    Of course its easy to only remember the good things someone does

But I only remember Gillingham coming close to scoring twice in the first half

There was that point blank save (Yes the Gillingham player should have done better but thats not really Ben's fault is it?) - Then there was the double save as well wasnt there when the Gillingham player was allowed to run on to ball which Amos blocked away

He then got a hand to the penalty, FYI he cant come out quicker as one foot has to stay on the line...

Certainly doesnt scare me with his catching - End of the day, Football is about opinions, we'll all have different views on things
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I’ve read a few people in the player marks thread saying it was a pen because Gunter made contact. Isnt football a contact sport?

For it to be a pen, there needs to be a foul, not contact. There wasn’t a foul.

for both pens, 6ft plus forwards went down do easy! I don’t enjoy football as much as I did 10 years ago, any touch and players go down like they’ve been shot
    Correct. Just because Gunter's shoelace might have been responsible for the forward's trip, it doesn't make it a clear penalty. There was not enough in it and he still had a lot of work to do for it to have been a penalty. 

On that note, I went to grab another tea rather than watch the replay of our penalty!
  • Options
    Referee had a stinker. We've been due a referee like that 

Gillingham weren't tested enough in their third, bit frustrating that and Evans clearly saw we look to keep the ball and let us do it in less dangerous areas. Wish we tested the keeper a bit more first half he was a dodgy keeper even if he did make a class save from Connor penalty 

Maddison looked positive but I think was knackered by half time. Albie Morgan is going to be a real class footballer, Prattley and Chris Gunter did very well at centre half. Oliver v Inniss was a battle I was looking forward to. He's great in the air that guy Oliver but thankfully shite with the ball 

I'm glad we didn't lose, we normally lose frustrating games like that. Aneke such a difference when he comes on
  • Options
    He literally made more errors than not first half?
    Of course its easy to only remember the good things someone does

But I only remember Gillingham coming close to scoring twice in the first half

There was that point blank save (Yes the Gillingham player should have done better but thats not really Ben's fault is it?) - Then there was the double save as well wasnt there when the Gillingham player was allowed to run on to ball which Amos blocked away

He then got a hand to the penalty, FYI he cant come out quicker as one foot has to stay on the line...

Certainly doesnt scare me with his catching - End of the day, Football is about opinions, we'll all have different views on things
    He did some good things, some bad things. Not trying to knock him too much because i like him and  hes a good keeper. I would say this as an example. There was a corner in the first half which he tried to punch and got absolutely nowhere near and imo should have stayed on his line. Now their guy flicked the header over and because he missed no one says anything about his mistake. But it could have cost us and only didn’t because there guy is poor. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    LenGlover said:
    MattF said:
    MattF said:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Some more observations.......

Great midfield and think Morgan & Shinnie shared MOTM. Up front Washington & Bogle are not a great pairing & both need to do better. 

I don't think being away from home makes much difference anymore. No fans in grounds means there is very little home "advantage".

Out of the teams in the top half of the table only Accrington  have scored less than us. Yes teams have played more games than us but I dont see us scoring 4's & 5's like Pompey & Hull did today. Tuesday we are playing Burton. They are bottom of the table with the worst GD in the League......with even Northampton hitting 3 past them today. Will we do the same....??  I very much doubt it. 
    We might not score many but we concede even less. We’ve let in 8 goals all season which is the best in the league. Northampton might have scored 3 but we probably only need to score 1. I would take 1-0 in the next two games.
    Exactly. Over the past 8 games we have the second highest goal difference in the league. I don't know what this obsession with scoring 4-5 is. 
    Partly GD. It might come down to that in the end.......like it did in 18/19.

And you can't keep expecting to win 1-0. The opposition ARE allowed to score you know & as I posted earlier, most other teams score more goals than us, and some score for fun. Fleetwood have already scored 4 or more twice this season. The reason why we didnt beat Gillingham wasn't because we let one in, but because we didnt score enough. 

And to @Todds_right_hook - if we only score 1 in each of our next 2 games I'll wager we wont win both.
  • Options
    Draw a fair result , for all our possession Gillingham produced as many if not more saves of note from Amos than we did of their keeper .

Injuries,  almost feel like the norm and I don’t think we’ll ever have everyone available but it’ll give us an excuse all season with wait till everyone’s fit .
    The league is so shit I think we could get promotion some way or other by not producing our best for a lot of the season .
    To me it looks like there’s so much more we can produce but I’m not sure we will produce it that often .

15% Automatic promotion 
    73% Play offs 
    12%   7th-12th