Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    MattF said:
    What is wrong with our training regime, how many injuries
    have we had as a result of training, it's ridiculous.

Please check out Ryan Inniss injury CV as presented earlier before he ever set put at Sparrows lane.
    What has Ryan Innis's CV got to do with it please, haven't seen it and don't
    know why i should?
    My post wasn't aimed at Inniss specifically, it was at the general training regime,
    seems a lot of our injuries result in training that's all, just a general observation.

• Options
    I think it was Maddison whom Gallen said never got injured. So as  soon as he comes here he gets injured without kicking a ball in anger. Pearce was a training injury too, wasnt it?

still, given what Bow told the Standard last week none of this is too surprising. Hopefully Thomas will get those depts. beefed up but its going to take time. Really gutted about Innis as he looked like a legend in the making. 
  • Options
    Today was a reminder for me that we are in League 1 - so many chances squandered, including the pen, of course. But, luckily (!), we are in L1, we weren't punished for not taking those chances and we came away with a draw. Still on a good run, as others have said.
  • Options
    Thanks charlton😂😂
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Watsons distribution is poor. 

As a result Shinnie and Maddison come too deep.

Maatsen and Matthews then have limited options going forward.

I think our problems are stemming from that CDM role.
    Our problems, we’ve dropped so points in two months!!  
  • Options
    All I could hear was Steve Evans's gruff voice at full blast. Not a great performance from us,as usual at that poxy ground,our shots at goal tally was poor.I'm sure this will spur Bowyer to want shot after shot on Tuesday given Burton's poor record and then get us set for Ipswich away.I would be very disappointed,nay sorely vexed,if we don't at least match Northampton's three at Burton. About time we finally handed out a real thrashing and this is the chance.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Thanks charlton😂😂
    Never mind, Cazo. You know you should never bet on Charlton though.

Stevie Brown won't let you down but ....... well, you know, being an Addick you should've learned your lesson by now. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some more observations.......

Great midfield and think Morgan & Shinnie shared MOTM. Up front Washington & Bogle are not a great pairing & both need to do better. 

I don't think being away from home makes much difference anymore. No fans in grounds means there is very little home "advantage".

Out of the teams in the top half of the table only Accrington  have scored less than us. Yes teams have played more games than us but I dont see us scoring 4's & 5's like Pompey & Hull did today. Tuesday we are playing Burton. They are bottom of the table with the worst GD in the League......with even Northampton hitting 3 past them today. Will we do the same....??  I very much doubt it. 
  • Options
    At least that game likely increased the odds of the Range Rover winner being a Charlton fan, no one that isn't a Charlton fan will be buying anymore streams 
  • Options

Great midfield and think Morgan & Shinnie shared MOTM. Up front Washington & Bogle are not a great pairing & both need to do better. 

I don't think being away from home makes much difference anymore. No fans in grounds means there is very little home "advantage".

Out of the teams in the top half of the table only Accrington  have scored less than us. Yes teams have played more games than us but I dont see us scoring 4's & 5's like Pompey & Hull did today. Tuesday we are playing Burton. They are bottom of the table with the worst GD in the League......with even Northampton hitting 3 past them today. Will we do the same....??  I very much doubt it. 
    Only 3 for Hull today Golfie.  Anyway I’m going to back us to win 5-0 now. 
  • Options

Good observations.

I don't expect us to win and play 9/10 each game, so am happy with the point. I do have a little concern about Bogle's lack of instinct inside the box (bit flat heeled), and now being without Innis, we will miss his threat at set pieces. He has helped us win 2 games with goals/assists I think.

On a plus, it gives Pearcy a chance to re-establish himself and we can move Pratley up to play off the front man ;-)
  • Options
    We have a very decent points total for this stage in the season, and it was good that we got an equaliser and didn’t lose.  On the whole I was frustrated with the performance.  We should’ve done better.  Gillingham aren’t a great team and they showed the benefit of being a bit more direct.  I appreciate we’re trying to play football, but I felt we over complicated it too much today.  Bogle and Washington weren’t their usual industrious selves, and I think the injury to Inniss didn’t help.  

Onto Burton, but we must do better 
  • Options
    Cazo, I feel your pain. Had a few of those over the years!
  • Options
    Cazo, I feel your pain. Had a few of those over the years!
    Tell me about it.won more than I’ve lost👍
  • Options
    PWR - pretty poor all round, never really got going, other than the goal our efforts were all speculative, didn’t really create anything at all. Penalty wasn’t a miss as it was right in the corner, down low, keeper made a great save. It happens. No real stand out performances, Gilbey looked really rusty, Smyth made a big difference, Aneke took his goal well. Wish Amos would talk to his defenders more, never really hear him shouting at them.
    Need to put it behind us and on to Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The number of occasions we just played the ball across the defence and back to Amos worries me. I am at a loss to see the tactic that would benefit from this constant passing around just outside our penalty Area. Clearly an indication that our midfield would appear to be absent and unable to receive a ball. 

Aneke an Smyth coming on showed how ineffective Bogle and Washington had been for 75 minutes. 
  • Options
    I was really looking forward to that. What an anti-climax.

Too slow, too deep, too ponderous, too predictable.

Maddison is a decent player but was dreadful today. Like one of those annoying  kids at school who wont pass it to team mates and isn't very good. Bogle is a solid pro but I can't see him scoring all season. Not even from a penalty, which it wasn't. 

Worry about Watson slowing everything down.

Maatsen was our entire left side of attack, midfield and defence. He is an excellent young player and I don't blame him for getting frustrated. Amos has been excellent too and kept us in it today.

Thank God for Chuks (again). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    At least that game likely increased the odds of the Range Rover winner being a Charlton fan, no one that isn't a Charlton fan will be buying anymore streams 
    That's the whole idea isn't it that the car is going to a CAFC fan
    Won't go down too well if not surely, or am i missing something :/
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Anyone can enter it by buying a valley pass stream, so there's scope for other teams fans to fancy an entry for a tenner
  • Options
    The number of occasions we just played the ball across the defence and back to Amos worries me. I am at a loss to see the tactic that would benefit from this constant passing around just outside our penalty Area. Clearly an indication that our midfield would appear to be absent and unable to receive a ball. 
    I suppose its about trying to force the opposition into getting impatient and breaking shape to try and get the ball back themselves, after all they cant just sit off us and be happy with a point from the get go, be a real shame for Football if that were the case

The other thing is that they could be waiting to see if a team mate (off screen to us) can make a bit of movement that'll lose their marker 
  • Options
    #JusticeforBogle
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    Anyone can enter it by buying a valley pass stream, so there's scope for other teams fans to fancy an entry for a tenner
    Gotta be a wrongun if it goes to anyone else, that's what Thomas's wanted
    to do, reward one of our fans, imagine if someone from another club
    gets it, just not right, i appreciate generating income and all that
    but that would be not good.

• Options
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    True Burton fans could buy their stream from us, as opposed from their own source on Tuesday and put themselves in with a chance. 
  • Options
    I suppose its about trying to force the opposition into getting impatient and breaking shape to try and get the ball back themselves, after all they cant just sit off us and be happy with a point from the get go, be a real shame for Football if that were the case

The other thing is that they could be waiting to see if a team mate (off screen to us) can make a bit of movement that'll lose their marker 
    Totally agree with your comment, but the number of times it happened today would indicate there was not much movement going on.
  • Options

Aneke an Smyth coming on showed how ineffective Bogle and Washington had been for 75 minutes. 
    In fairness, I think they are trying to play out from the back and keep possession instead of just hoofing it forward and losing it. In fact I thought that worked quite well today although it's not going to look so good when inevitably someone loses possession and we concede a goal from it. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned. I think there are goals in the team at this level.
    Yeah, two a game mostly at best, a very odd three here or there, will be amazed if we score four or fives.
  • Options

It is far better in my opinion to keep possession than to lump it up front and hope someone gets on the end of it. Keep pulling them about until you see an opening and then go for it.

If I were to criticise I would say that our midfielders and front men don’t work hard enough to get into space. That said, in a diamond that is bloody hard work. When Chucks and Smyth came on we moved to a flat 4-4-2 and I think that suited us more in this game.