Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    As if it would be a simple 1-2 game injury!

Good news that Famewo isn't far away though. With him, Pearce and Pratley we should be ok whilst Inniss is out.
    I'd imagine that Oshilaja isnt far away from returning either
  • Options
    Slightly disappointed but a point away and some positives. Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity for two points. Felt Washington was going to miss the penalty but it was a good save. Aneke finished well. Smyth looked good again. Good that Gilbey got some minutes. Not gonna win every game but still a bit disappointed. Onto Burton for three points now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    An away point is always good.

Gillingham knew how to frustrate us and that fat git of a manager has to get some grudging credit for that. That said had Washington converted the penalty, given the timing of it, I think the game would have gone in our favour.

We gained that point with two makeshift centre halves which is no mean achievement and a real positive to take from this match. Let's hope Inniss and Famewo come back sooner rather than later now that Maddison and Gilbey are available. 

COYR
  • Options
    Bows on now.
  • Options
    As if it would be a simple 1-2 game injury!

Good news that Famewo isn't far away though. With him, Pearce and Pratley we should be ok whilst Inniss is out.
    I'd imagine that Oshilaja isnt far away from returning either
    Gunter at right centre back >>>> Doji-Deji. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    vff said:
    Evans the most deluded manager ever - reckons that Gillingham bossed the second half and should have had 3 points. Gillingham barely had a kick in the first 20 minutes of the second half.
    To be fair though we didnt do anything with it either, Gillingham up until their goal were dangerous when they got it back and hit us on the counter, as we did too much passing around in front of them - I honestly wasnt surprised that they took the lead, was just the manner that annoyed me
  • Options
    A game of two penalties.
    Cafc missed; Gills scored.

A typical League 1 game with the normal sub standard ref. A freak penalty for Gillingham but rule 1: don't run behind a striker in your own box or they will make sure their legs get entangled with theirs.

We played ok, (Average) and similar to most of our wins if truth be told, but by missing the pen we put pressure on ourselves or other wise we have a comfortable 2-0 or 2-1 victory.

Is Aneke being a super sub because of his fitness because he is a class above Bogle on what we have seen so far.

Remember Maatsen is Only 18 and he would have learnt a lot today. Unfortunately even though I always support Purrington he would have struggled against their fast guy on the right wing (Graham?)

After WWWWWW then a draw is not too shabby but it feels like 2 points dropped.

I don't think the revolving doors of players coming back from injuries and players taking their place in the medical room will every change for Cafc. I don't blame anyone for that.

Gilbey was back today but obviously rusty.

I'm pleased we have game changers on the bench but... 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley Pass post match interviews on: Evans disappointed Gills only came away with a point. 
    He should think himself LUCKY he got anything, stupid plump person ;)
  • Options
    How many players have we got that HAVEN'T been injured so far this season?
  • Options
    It looked to me like Akinde tripped himself. What was baffling was the penalty seemed to be given by the fourth official who had one of the worst angles. 

It was a frustrating game as you could tell we were a better side. We were a bit weak in the air, missing Innes a lot. I also thought we tried to be a bit too intricate and not counter their tactic of players behind the ball in the box as well as we could. But that penalty goes in and we open them up at will. 

What we have to sort out is breaking down teams who do get their bodies behind the ball. Not a big deal as in most cases we probably win 1-0 but a plan B for those situations would be good. 

You have to give Evans and Gillingham some credit. They couldn't match us with ability but had a game plan. Crazy if Evans thought they bossed the second half. Maybe he was cracking a joke.

Maatson did well but lacked composure on a couple of occasions. A player of his pace and ability should have got that late square ball right and that would have probably been 2-1.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Evans the most deluded manager ever - reckons that Gillingham bossed the second half and should have had 3 points. Gillingham barely had a kick in the first 20 minutes of the second half.
    I wouldn't pay much attention to that.

Remember, Evans isn't saying anything for our benefit - he's telling Jills fans what they want to hear.

• Options
    We win on Tuesday and we are well on course. I want us to keep the average points at 2 or more per game.
  • Options
    With the amount of possession we had, I’m disappointed that we didn’t win. If Shinnie’s chance goes in after 4mins, it’s a different game. Onwards and upwards to Burton 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    OH FFSSSSSS

Didn't Gallen say Inniss had basically never been out injured? Then he comes here. 
    If he did then he was lying, as Inniss has a long history of injuries.

"On 13 September 2013, Inniss had his loan spell at Cheltenham terminated due to injury"

"On 14 February 2014, he joined Gillingham on a loan deal lasting until the end of the season, making his debut against Sheffield United in a 1–0 defeat. He picked up an injury in the game, which limited him to just two further appearances for the Gills"

"He collected five yellow cards in five starts during his stay at Vale Park, helping the team to concede just two goals whilst he was on the pitch, but his loan spell was not extended as he damaged his ankle ligaments"

"
    He returned to Port Vale on loan in 15-16 but dislocated his shoulder in September and returned to Selhurst Park for treatment, though his loan deal to Port Vale remained active. He returned to Vale shortly after Christmas. However he picked up a hamstring injury in a home draw with Coventry on 7 February, and was ruled out of action for three weeks. He returned to Crystal Palace after a re-occurrence of his hamstring injury in a defeat to Barnsley on 28 March and was described as "the unluckiest player I think I have ever met with injuries".

"On loan at Southend he dislocated his shoulder in an FA Cup defeat to Millwall, and was ruled out of action for three months following surgery"

"On 4 April, he dislocated his shoulder for the second time of the season in a 1–0 defeat to Bolton Wanderers"
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Dillon Phillips last Season.
    Ben Amos this Season.
    Ben Amos next Season.
  • Options
    Getting a front 5 that clicks is starting become a bit concerning.  Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday doesn't help, I appreciate that, but we have got enough options all of whom would walk into most, if not all, league 1 teams.

Is it even worth having a Saturday team and a midweek team? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I'd rather not say with my ability to jinx things
  • Options
    Worst ref we’ve had all season. Gillingham awful - glad I don’t have to watch them every week. We could easily have won but will settle for a point away from home. More and more impressed with Shinnie every week, while Maatsen is some player. Would like to see Chuka start - maybe Tuesday?
  • Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned. I think there are goals in the team at this level.
  • Options
    Chuks has to start. End of. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Ben Amos this Season.
    Ben Amos next Season.
    That's what I thought. I know injuries are part of the games, but ours are unbelievable.
  • Options
    I'm happy for Chuks to come on but I think if we are not leading, LB needs to make the change a little earlier, especially now we have the 5 subs.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Ben Amos this Season.
    Ben Amos next Season.
    That's what I thought. I know injuries are part of the games, but ours are unbelievable.
    I can think of a few others from this current squad but refusing to say their names
  • Options
    Too ponderous,  too much passing around the back & not enough goal threat. Got to be more quick & adventurous. Don't score enough goals to get into the top 2. 

Only positive was coming back from going behind......but still couldn't win it from that position. 18 games & counting  
    If the midfield can't contribute goals on a regular basis I can't see us finishing top 2 because bogle as a goalscorer is a total waste of time, ( yes I know he scored thousands in non league) aneke can't play a full game, Washington has got a few but not sure he'll keep it up, time will tell ( did he play 3 internationals in the last week?). Smyth looks to be a good option off the bench & ups the tempo but again he's not a goalscorer. If TS had come in earlier I'm sure we would have somebody in the BWP / taylor level. Fingers crossed for January.
  • Options
    Valley Pass post match interviews on: Evans disappointed Gills only came away with a point. 
    He was obviously going to say that :smiley: