Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Win at home, draw away, the reds go up in May.

any points on the road are good points
  • Options
    I’m not sure theirs was a penalty, Gunter had no reason to bring the guy down. But my two thoughts are that we need to do more if we are going to have 70% possession. At least mix it up with some long goal kicks. And why did we take that free kick short in the final minute? Should have pushed everyone up and dropped the kick into the box.
    If anything it was careless from Gunter as could have skipped out the way to avoid even touching their player
  • Options
    What a player Maatsen is turning out to be, not impressed with Maddison, i know first game etc,
  • Options
    Too ponderous,  too much passing around the back & not enough goal threat. Got to be more quick & adventurous. Don't score enough goals to get into the top 2. 

Only positive was coming back from going behind......but still couldn't win it from that position. 18 games & counting  
  • Options
    What a crap game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lmao. 

Inniss now out for an extended period! Had hoped it was a short term one.

What are we doing to these players! 
    Get a bloody S&C Coach through the doors!!
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Watsons distribution is poor. 

As a result Shinnie and Maddison come too deep.

Maatsen and Matthews then have limited options going forward.

I think our problems are stemming from that CDM role.
    Perhaps you should let Bowyer know?  :smile:

Not a popular opinion I know, and I may have been spoiled by Bielik/ Cullen last time we were down here. 

However Watson does love a sideways pass a bit too much for me.

The last minute where he decides to pass it 10 yards sideways rather than pumping it into the box to have a go made me laugh. Just feels very negative at times.
    I'd agree with that.

A minute left and it's your last chance to grab a vital winning goal .... you've surely got to attack the opponents box.
    What does Bowyer say ...... get the ball into their 6 yard box?

No silly risks though, you can't afford to get caught on the counter and concede.

• Options
    Not great, in fact pretty poor to be honest, however other recent seasons we would have lost that, so getting a point is better than nothing. Ref was without doubt the worst I have witnessed in many a year, absolutely awful and that is the best comment I can make about him! Anyway on to the next game, good to see Gilby back and to be fair if he was 100% on his game he could have won it for us at the end. Pity we were so slow in the build up on the many occasions we were dominating, we do seem to lack pace when Smyth isn't playing! Overall 6 out of 10. 
  • Options
    Frustrating match where we dominated play but didn't create enough. 

Our starting front 3 were poor. Maddison was ineffective from open play, constantly making the wrong decision, while the Gillingham centre backs had an easy 60 odd minutes against Bogle and Washington. Aneke was so much more effective as a centre forward than Bogle, more powerful in the air AND better movement. 

I like Smyth, though to be he's a wide/creative midfielder rather than a striker. In the last 15 we really needed Aneke, Smyth AND another striker, rather than Gilbey

The rest of the side where fine without being brilliant. Careless of Gunter if he did touch the Gillingham player for the penalty, though at the time I thought Amos should have come and collected anyway
  • Options
    Disappointed as they are not a good side at all. No CB's on the pitch was a concern although it was in the final third that was so disappointing. Thought Bogle was relatively poor as was Maddison, who I'm sure will get better. Gilbey rusty unsurprisingly. 

Maatsen continues to impress and I love watching Shinnie dictate play. Watson done what he was supposed to well but I just read a poster saying because he isn't good on the ball others come too deep. I agree with that and was something I thought about during the game. 

Great see big Chuks come on and score again, I just wish he was fit enough to play more regularly because he's such an asset. 
  • Options
    Frustrating game. The ponderous build-up play was obviously part of the game plan. Amos kicked the ball long once in the entire game, and that was with a bout two minutes of added time to go. It's surely worth mixing it when you have good hold-up players like Aneke (who was excellent again when he came on) and Bogle. Other, better teams will have watched that and they'll simply press our defenders and Watson very hard in future games. Interestingly we don't play like that with Innis in the side; he's a more hoof the ball to safety type of centre back.

Awful officials in many ways; no need to go into detail as it's all on the match thread.

But in many ways it was a well-earned point when we weren't at our best.
  • Options
    Poor game. 
    Other than his free kick, very little contribution from Maddison.
    Chuks and Smyth up front so much better than Washington and Bogle. 
  • Options
    Reminder to those getting carried away that we’re actually not as good as some people think we are. We’ll be alright and up there in the mix but we’re going to have to work very hard.
    Thanks for your massive insight. Would you like to fill us all in as to who has a better squad and is better than us. Why do we have to have people who constantly knock us. Should we have won that game YES. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weren't the best game, seem to struggle at Gillingham the past few years so expected that sort of game. Glad we got a point 
  • Options
    Glad we never gave up but it did feel like we were mugged. Twelve-man Gillingham defended well but had little threat despite our missing defenders. I don't think they'd have ever scored without the ref's help. As for us, we looked alright but just couldn't find the right positions up front to threaten enough. I think the most telling stat of the day (other than the final scoreline) was our half-time passing success rate: 85% in total, but only 50% in the final third - I think that tells the story of how we got crowded out. Most useless stat of the day saw Gillingham winning 65% of aerial duels and us somehow winning 40%. Despite our real issues being up front today, I still think our biggest misses were Famewo and Inniss. I think if we'd had them in the side we could have afforded to play a midfield with more of an attacking edge. I can't wait to see them both back. 
  • Options
    Was disappointed in Maddison. His first league start, but he started both the FA Cup and Pizza Cup matches, and has had the international break to get sharper too
  • Options
    A point away at the down market Millwall.
  • Options
    As if it would be a simple 1-2 game injury!

Good news that Famewo isn't far away though. With him, Pearce and Pratley we should be ok whilst Inniss is out.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    OH FFSSSSSS

Didn't Gallen say Inniss had basically never been out injured? Then he comes here. 
  • Options
    Gillingham interview now on the stream, Bowyer possibly up shortly