Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where are the goals coming from?

Comments

• We haven’t got a player in the top 7 for either goals or assists, in league 1 yet are doing all right in the table.
    Because we've kept 7 clean sheets in our 11 matches
  • J BLOCK said:
    PWR - We are a striker away from automatics. We won't get top two with the current comp. Only way we would is if Chuks consistently played 90 mins.
    This with xmas bells on. 
  • We haven’t got a player in the top 7 for either goals or assists, in league 1 yet are doing all right in the table.
    Stats can tell you lots of things but what they don't tell you us what you see with your own eyes every game. That is we are not very "energetic" or "dynamic" up front & the starting 2 on Saturday didn't look like scoring. Apart from the penalty neither had a shot on target. Cant always blame them as the service wasn't good either. We seem to play well up to the penalty area & then the final pass never happens or it takes too long & players are crowded out.

FWIW I think we will be in the top 6 for the rest of the season but I don't think we'll make the top 2. To go up automatically you've got to have some suave & pizzazz about you......and the ability to kill teams off Sadly we have none of that.
    Stats can tell you lots of things but what they don't tell you us what you see with your own eyes every game. That is we are not very "energetic" or "dynamic" up front & the starting 2 on Saturday didn't look like scoring. Apart from the penalty neither had a shot on target. Cant always blame them as the service wasn't good either. We seem to play well up to the penalty area & then the final pass never happens or it takes too long & players are crowded out.

FWIW I think we will be in the top 6 for the rest of the season but I don't think we'll make the top 2. To go up automatically you've got to have some suave & pizzazz about you......and the ability to kill teams off Sadly we have none of that.
    Blackpool, Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Oxford, Crewe, Northampton and Wigan would disagree. 
  • Scoham said:
    Teams can also get better, the midfield could look very different if Maddison and Gilbey are at their best and add goals to the midfield. I’m sure we’re also aiming to add a striker in January. It’s far too early to write off our chances of making the top two.
    Absolutely, we definitely need a striker but I think there's been a big overreaction from yesterday. Washington and Aneke have both scored a good amount of goals (taking minutes per goal into account). We could do with a 4th because Smyth isn't an out and out striker but gives us something we don't have (especially with Doughty out). We've been solid and the midfield looks very good, I don't understand why we're focusing on so much on the one thing that slightly lets us down. 
  • Are our strikers even missing chances? I can’t remember many, if any sitters that have been missed.

The problem is we don’t create many chances. Hopefully the midfielders start chipping in.
  • Scoham said:
    Teams can also get better, the midfield could look very different if Maddison and Gilbey are at their best and add goals to the midfield. I’m sure we’re also aiming to add a striker in January.

It’s far too early to write off our chances of making the top two.
    Totally agree.

2 years ago, we didn't even make our run to finish in 3rd place ......... until March.

• Off_it said:
    Can I just quickly ask, is this thread going to get resurrected every time we dont win a game?

Thanks
    Not sure this thread ever really goes away, when we do score it gets updated with the names of the goal scorer as the answer to the thread title
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we have had a couple of league games where we haven't scored and those were before the squad was significantly strengthened. If I asked you to pick a free scoring League One team, many of you would say Peterborough but they have only scored one goal in their last two games. Ok, you may say. Portsmouth then. They have had four League games where they have failed to score in.
  • Are our strikers even missing chances? I can’t remember many, if any sitters that have been missed.

The problem is we don’t create many chances. Hopefully the midfielders start chipping in.
     They're not missing chances per se, but none of them appear to have the anticipation qualities you need to score lots of goals. 'The right place right time' factor certainly hasn't shown itself yet.
    Aneke is learning though.
    I've watched Bogle fairly closely and he seems to take an age to try and do anything remotely dangerous in and around the box. Time you just don't have in those situations. That said, and as I remarked a few weeks ago, he is basically Aneke's warm up man and Bowyer said as much this week.
  • Off_it said:
    Can I just quickly ask, is this thread going to get resurrected every time we dont win a game?

Thanks
    Probably , lol!
  • Off_it said:

Thanks
    I will resurrect it every time a striker scores  :D

• edited November 2020
    Are our strikers even missing chances? I can’t remember many, if any sitters that have been missed.

I am going to sound harsh but the problem I think we face is not even one of missing chances. Too often they fail to control the ball or make the pass that would create a chance. Bogle is the worst offender but we have no Clive Mendonca in the pack and we are likely to need one to complete the job and maybe two of them to compete in the Championship.
  • So the criticism is that we need better strikers to themselves carve out chances and score? I thought it was a given that we don’t have a 20 goal a season man. 

I wouldn’t expect too much from our forwards to be honest, if we go up it will be because of 1-0 victories, not 4-2 blockbusters.
  • 1-0 victories don't get you up. It is the 2-0 ones that do. On a bad day the 2-0 becomes a 1-0 or 1-1. That is what you are looking at. 
  • So the criticism is that we need better strikers to themselves carve out chances and score? I thought it was a given that we don’t have a 20 goal a season man. 

I wouldn’t expect too much from our forwards to be honest, if we go up it will be because of 1-0 victories, not 4-2 blockbusters.
    Look at how we're set up. Bowyer's gameplan is: 3 points.

He likes clean sheets.

Even if we won 4-2 every game, Bowyer would be moaning about the lack of clean sheets and silly goals conceded.

I don't believe we have a 20 goal a season striker. None of them have come close before. The point I was making was that it's not just about their finishing but their all round play. On Saturday, Smyth set Anneke up and he finished but we haven't seen anywhere enough of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• We'll win 4-0 on the day when nobody expects us to.

PS: @happyvalley please don't give up hope.  :smile:

I don't believe we have a 20 goal a season striker. None of them have come close before. The point I was making was that it's not just about their finishing but their all round play. On Saturday, Smyth set Anneke up and he finished but we haven't seen anywhere enough of that.
    Understood. I think that link up play comes with time. It’s also important to remember we’ve been blessed with some amazing strikers in recent years, particularly Taylor who could do everything very well. This season that isn’t the case and I’ll be grateful if our strikers can hold the ball up a bit and score 10 a season.
  • 1-0 victories don't get you up. It is the 2-0 ones that do. On a bad day the 2-0 becomes a 1-0 or 1-1. That is what you are looking at. 
    I've read this back a few times and i don't understand this at all?
  • edited November 2020
    Don't know if it's been discussed already, but a quick scan of our 2018/19 results tells me we only scored 3 or more goals 8 times that season. Two of those occasions came in cup competitions (5-0 vs Mansfield and 8-0 vs Stevenage). One of them we still lost (5-3 vs Scunthorpe), and three of them came in the last 6 matches of the season. So between August and mid April, in a season in which we finished third, and for half the season had Grant and Taylor (probably the best front pair in the division) we only scored 3 goals in a league fixture three times and lost one of them.

Just to put this ridiculous demand for 4-0 every week into perspective.
    Hear hear. Bravo.

At last someone with a bit of sense about how we play & that we don't ever "hammer" teams.

Funny that in just 12 games this season Fleetwood have twice scored 4 or more.

Tomorrow we are playing the leagues worst side (by position) who have only won 1 of their last 7 matches & who let 3 in last Saturday. We will struggle to score 2.
    I wonder if perhaps Muttley means that if you're regularly winning by more than one goal you have a bit more leeway and can still win on a bad day. Of course that's just a guess, the truth is that, with no mechanism to deduct goals, 2-0 can never become 1-0 or 1-1 or any other binary scoreline. So no, it doesn't make sense.
  • Don't know if it's been discussed already, but a quick scan of our 2018/19 results tells me we only scored 3 or more goals 8 times that season. Two of those occasions came in cup competitions (5-0 vs Mansfield and 8-0 vs Stevenage). One of them we still lost (5-3 vs Scunthorpe), and three of them came in the last 6 matches of the season. So between August and mid April, in a season in which we finished third, and for half the season had Grant and Taylor (probably the best front pair in the division) we only scored 3 goals in a league fixture three times and lost one of them.

Hear hear. Bravo.

At last someone with a bit of sense about how we play & that we don't ever "hammer" teams.

Tomorrow we are playing the leagues worst side (by position) who have only won 1 of their last 7 matches & who let 3 in last Saturday. We will struggle to score 2.
    Would you rather swap places in the table with Fleetwood?
  • Oggy Red said:
    We'll win 4-0 on the day when nobody expects us to.

PS: @happyvalley please don't give up hope.  :smile:

I certainly don’t think happy valley can be accused of that!
  • edited November 2020
    Stig said:
    1-0 victories don't get you up. It is the 2-0 ones that do. On a bad day the 2-0 becomes a 1-0 or 1-1. That is what you are looking at. 
    I wonder if perhaps Muttley means that if you're regularly winning by more than one goal you have a bit more leeway and can still win on a bad day. Of course that's just a guess, the truth is that, with no mechanism to deduct goals, 2-0 can never become 1-0 or 1-1 or any other binary scoreline. So no, it doesn't make sense.
    It is exactly what I mean. No team scores the same number of goals every game and every team will concede from time to time. But if your most likely score is 1-0, you are going to lose and draw quite a few. 2-0 and you will win far more. It is obvious really, but the underling point is it isn't good to get one and settle for it. Also that if your most likely result is 2-0, you will probably get promoted whereas if it is 1-0, you probably won't.
  • Don't know if it's been discussed already, but a quick scan of our 2018/19 results tells me we only scored 3 or more goals 8 times that season. Two of those occasions came in cup competitions (5-0 vs Mansfield and 8-0 vs Stevenage). One of them we still lost (5-3 vs Scunthorpe), and three of them came in the last 6 matches of the season. So between August and mid April, in a season in which we finished third, and for half the season had Grant and Taylor (probably the best front pair in the division) we only scored 3 goals in a league fixture three times and lost one of them.

Hear hear. Bravo.

We might struggle to score 2 or 3, but I think they'll, and a lot of teams, will struggle to score 1. That's how we're set up.