Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where are the goals coming from?

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have done a bit of fag packed maths.  We all know what impact Mendonca, BWP and Taylor had in their first (full in BWPs case) season.  These are thier records, along with Bogle and Washington's before they signed for us.

Mendonca 263 games 87 goals 1 in 3.02
    BWP 175 games 41 goals 1 in 4.26
    Taylor 334 games 124 goals 1 in 2.69
    Bogle 263 games 110 goals 1 in 2.39
    Washington 323 goals 102 goals 1 in 3.17

Intresting. 
    Hales: 320 League games 148 goals 1 in 2.16
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have done a bit of fag packed maths.  We all know what impact Mendonca, BWP and Taylor had in their first (full in BWPs case) season.  These are thier records, along with Bogle and Washington's before they signed for us.

Intresting. 
    Before we signed him games 7 goals 1 1 in 7.  Totally underwhelmed :wink:
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    As another comparison, this is Nicky Ajose before we signed him

193 games 65 goals 1 in 2.96.
    So they could go on to be shit hot or absolutely not. Cheers for the info ;)
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    I think my problem is that I grew up watching Killer & expect all strikers to be as clinical. In the past 40 years only Mendonca has got close to him. Bent & Hunt not far behind.......but majority of the rest can't be talked about in the same breath.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 

So they could go on to be shit hot or absolutely not. Cheers for the info ;)
    Exactly, and nothing suggests that these two can't be as good as the good ones, or as bad as Ajose.  Probably the truth is they will be somewhere inbetween. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    I think my problem is that I grew up watching Killer & expect all strikers to be as clinical. In the past 40 years only Mendonca has got close to him. Bent & Hunt not far behind.......but majority of the rest can't be talked about in the same breath.
    For Charlton

Mendonca 45 in 96 2.13
    Hunt 35 in 86 2.45
    Bent 31 in 68 2.19

I am here all day
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    The problem with history is that you have to consider what leagues they scored in. A prolific scorer in L2 or the NL may not be able to make the step up, a striker who struggled in the Championship may be prolific in L1

Bogle for example has scored
    8 goals in the Championship
    5 in L1
    19 in L2
    78 in National/National North

Washington's record is
    13 in the Championship
    3 in the Scottish Premiership
    27 in L1
    4 in L2
    1 in National
    54 in a very low league (level 9)

For BWP
    2 in Premier League
    26 in Championship
    13 in L1 (in 17 games)
    i.e. he previously played most of his career at a MUCH higher level, so his goal percentage figures are misleading if you're using them to judge a L1 striker

• Options
    Bogle.

He is going to score a sh*t load this season. Mark my words!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 

Ajose is a mystery, as it seems he's had one decent season in his whole career!
  • Options
    Posted this in the transfer rumours thread after everyone was kicking up a stink about not getting a 20 goal striker...

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4075624/#Comment_4075624

Promoted teams top scorers:

19/20: 
    Coventry - Matt Godden (14 - 18 or 19 in a full season)
    Rotherham - Freddie Ladapo (14 - 18 or 19 in a full season)
    Wycombe - Adebayo Akinfenwa (10 - 13 or 14 in a full season)

18/19:
    Luton - James Collins (25)
    Barnsley - Kieffer Moore (17)
    Charlton - Lyle Taylor (21)

17/18:
    Wigan - Will Grigg (19)
    Blackburn - Bradley Dack (18)
    Rotherham - Kieffer Moore (13)

Only two of the last nine clubs promoted from this division have had a 20+ goal man in their squad.
    If you look at 2017/18

Wigan's top scorers were Grigg 19, Powell 15, Jacobs 11
    Blackburn - Dack 18, Graham 17, Mulgrew 14, Armstrong 9
    Rotherham - Moore 13 in half a season (he surely would have got 20 in a full season), then a number of forwards in single figures

So while nobody got 20, it was pretty close. Do we, like Wigan and Blackburn, have 2 strikers who can get over 15 each?

That, for me, is the biggest challenge this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    The problem with history is that you have to consider what leagues they scored in. A prolific scorer in L2 or the NL may not be able to make the step up, a striker who struggled in the Championship may be prolific in L1

Bogle for example has scored
    8 goals in the Championship
    5 in L1
    19 in L2
    78 in National/National North

Washington's record is
    13 in the Championship
    3 in the Scottish Premiership
    27 in L1
    4 in L2
    1 in National
    54 in a very low league (level 9)

For BWP
    2 in Premier League
    26 in Championship
    13 in L1 (in 17 games)
    i.e. he previously played most of his career at a MUCH higher level, so his goal percentage figures are misleading if you're using them to judge a L1 striker

And Lyle Taylor hadn't scored 50 league (lots of his were in the isthmian league) goals, at 28, when we signed him.  His history showed no indication that he was going to be a top championship striker in 18 months time, which he was.

The point I am trying to make, obviously badly, is that thier numbers suggest they are as equally likely to be as successful as Mendonca, Taylor, BWP or equally as unsuccessful as Ajose.  And a lot of people are saying they won't score the goals we need.  The reason they haven't scored league 1 level goals recently is the same as BWPs. 

The reason people were excited by signing Taylor, Mendonca and BWP was they had recently seen them play against us and they stood out.  I don't ever remember us playing against Bogle or Washington even if we have. 

• Options
    Given that we've already had one 1-0 win, if you could get the 9/1 currently available on us winning by that score tonight for each and every game this season, it would only have to happen 5 times in total from 46 games to make a level stakes profit.

We actually did it on 5 occasions last season but, there again, we only won 12 games in total
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Given that we've already had one 1-0 win, if you could get the 9/1 currently available on us winning by that score tonight for each and every game this season, it would only have to happen 5 times in total from 46 games to make a level stakes profit.

We actually did it on 5 occasions last season but, there again, we only won 12 games in total
    A Charlton win and under 2.5 is about 6/1 that would be a good bet every week. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    Nelson set up the whole team to deliver to his strengths in the knowledge that he would finish. That opportunity does not come along too often.
  • Options
    Bogle.

He is going to score a sh*t load this season. Mark my words!
    I think potentially, he looked in his 20 mins or whatever the other day like he is going to frustrate or be confident enough to score for fun
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    Nelson set up the whole team to deliver to his strengths in the knowledge that he would finish. That opportunity does not come along too often.
    That's right. He had the likes of Peacock, Powell, Flanagan, Tydeman, Hunt, Bowman, Horsfield, Robinson etc etc all looking to get him on the end of a cross or a one on one with a centre back who he would, if he didn't beat them for pace, he'd bully them into submission.

I think we paid £4k for Killer from Luton. Probably the best value transfer we've ever made.

• Options
    from our newly assembled 'strike force' with help from midfield and 2 brick outhouse central defenders, not forgetting 2 attacking full backs
  • Options
    I don't think we can honestly expect another Hales or Mendonca without a big fee but it would be good to get another Garry Nelson or a Paul Williams. We might need to throw everything at it in January.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    Unless you are Liverpool. Brought in Keegan then Dalglish then Rush & then Aldridge. Then from their youth team happened to stumble upon Fowler & then Owen. From the 70's to the 2000's they weren't without a top goal scorer & (without looking at records) probably didn't pay much for Keegan, Rush or Aldridge. Some teams seem to be able to unearth strikers. We don't.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Intresting. 
    Unless you are Liverpool. Brought in Keegan then Dalglish then Rush & then Aldridge. Then from their youth team happened to stumble upon Fowler & then Owen. From the 70's to the 2000's they weren't without a top goal scorer & (without looking at records) probably didn't pay much for Keegan, Rush or Aldridge. Some teams seem to be able to unearth strikers. We don't.
    except for D Bent, Mendonca, Hales, Firmani .. to guess just several
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's like printing money predicting an LB win ;-)
  • Options
    Only 18 more to go for Big Chuks :smiley:
  • Options
    Interesting that in the interview he only mentions Chuks, Bogle and Washington, and not Smyth

I would hope Maddison could get near 10 as well
  • Options
    Smyth should have opened his account today. Very poor failing to beat the keeper from five yards when in the clear. Bogle on the other hand, didn't fashion a chance. He did hold off a defender to give Pratley the chance to score but he was actually just trying to get on the ball himself.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    To answer the question........

Not from the strikers it seems.
  • Options
    To answer the question........

EVERYWHERE!!
  • Options
    Posted this in the transfer rumours thread after everyone was kicking up a stink about not getting a 20 goal striker...

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4075624/#Comment_4075624

Promoted teams top scorers:

19/20: 
    Coventry - Matt Godden (14 - 18 or 19 in a full season)
    Rotherham - Freddie Ladapo (14 - 18 or 19 in a full season)
    Wycombe - Adebayo Akinfenwa (10 - 13 or 14 in a full season)

18/19:
    Luton - James Collins (25)
    Barnsley - Kieffer Moore (17)
    Charlton - Lyle Taylor (21)

17/18:
    Wigan - Will Grigg (19)
    Blackburn - Bradley Dack (18)
    Rotherham - Kieffer Moore (13)

Only two of the last nine clubs promoted from this division have had a 20+ goal man in their squad.
    If you look at 2017/18

Wigan's top scorers were Grigg 19, Powell 15, Jacobs 11
    Blackburn - Dack 18, Graham 17, Mulgrew 14, Armstrong 9
    Rotherham - Moore 13 in half a season (he surely would have got 20 in a full season), then a number of forwards in single figures

So while nobody got 20, it was pretty close. Do we, like Wigan and Blackburn, have 2 strikers who can get over 15 each?

I don't think we have the strikers to get 15 between them 
  • Options
    The most unlikely of places 
  • Options
    OG took his chance well today..........