Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crewe v Charlton | Sat 12 Sept | Post match thread

Comments

• Options
    Crewe can count themselves very unlucky as they were slightly the better team but it's all about putting the ball in the net and we did that. 

Gilbey looks the nuts. 

Apologies, but we were comfortably the better team.
    We won without being troubled and we didn't even have to withstand much pressure at the end.
    Agreed, we were better in both penalty boxes where it counts and that's all that matters. A very similar performance / result to the Chris Powell 11/12 season.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    Did JFC add anything? He's such a hit 'n miss player, that his performance swings each game.
    Beggars can’t be choosers. He’s not the answer but he’s ours. 
    He has to realise that he is a senior player now. Really need him to step up. Hair and beard looks great, but be good to see some games dominated.
    For me, he’s not a holding midfielder and he’s not really a deep-lying playmaker either. Got the ability and passing range to be, but more able to put his stamp on the game than that. He’s far better when he has someone more defensive next to him and can allow him to venture forward that bit more. He was, at times, excellent next to Kashi. He’s got the ability to score goals and was really unlucky not to score in the second half.

Maybe if Levitt turns out to be a great signing and plays the deep-lying playmaker role, it could free up Forster-Caskey to get forward and contribute more in front of goal. That to me, is where he‘s more effective. 
    I find JFC very ordinary nearly every game. He's not bad, but he doesn't make an impression.

He's not a great shield in front of the defence like Pratley.

He doesn't make crunching ball winning tackles.

He doesn't slide through passes like Gilbey did today for the first goal.

He's not an up and down player.

He doesn't run into dangerous positions and he rarely shoots.

What does he do? Basically moves the ball on sideways mostly in an anonymous way.
    He had two very similar shots against Swindon and against Crewe that drew sprightly saves low down, so that's something.
  • Options
    Owch but true. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought we did pretty well yesterday, with decent individual performances, but it doesn't yet feel like a 'team' to me.
    I think the obvious problem is around the base, we could do with Matthews and a proper centre half, plus some cover.
    Still very much a work in progress in my view and the numbers can be very quickly stretched,
    Goodness knows how we'll manage on Tuesday, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Dempsey, Vennings and Henry involved...and Josh Davison too.

And Levitt
  • Options
    Great win considering the opening 10/15 minutes we looked disjointed and I couldn’t work out our formation lol. Our class in the final third really showed and at this level we won’t struggle for goals, defence needs reinforcements ASAP! 
  • Options
    Take the 3 points, get TS in and make Crewe right back our first signing he was very good.
    Only if we cant get Adam Matthews though...
    Let’s have both. We’ll be rich... rich I tell ya... rich beyond our wildest dreams!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    10 seconds from winning the ball back outside our box to the ball in back of Crewes net. Class!
    Bowyerball as it should be... play out of the back and keep possession when you can, but move the ball forward quickly when opportunities open up. Avoid out and out long ball and over the top slow tippy tappy nonsense at the back.
    Totally agree. Probably in the minority but I wasn’t impressed by Crewe at all. Thought they were naive trying to out play a team who were obviously fitter and more quality. Thought we played our role perfect yesterday. 

In championship we struggle mostly every match when we had to break sides down. If Gilbey makes a couple more of those passes for Doughty goal teams won’t open us against us. Probably have to get use to seeing teams defend deep and wait for us to break them down. 

In a ideal scenario hope we have a squad when utilise likes of Lapslie/Purrington/ Deji when away from home and have more comfortable ball players when at The Valley.
  • Options
    We, are, going, up, I said we are going up!
  • Options
    Cracking 1st goal. Deji wins it, doesn't fuck abt and gives it to the main man, who takes control and pings a beautiful ball to boy wonder. Once he's on his toes no one is catching him. And that finish....boom! 2nd is all about being in the right place at the right time and washington buries it. Clinical. Love it Charl'on. COYA
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Amos: 6
    Lapslie: 5
    Barker: 5.5
    Oshilaja: 5.5
    Purrington: 5.5
    Pratley: 6
    Forster-Caskey: 5
    Gilbey: 6
    Doughty: 6.5
    Bonne: 5
    Washington: 6
    Williams: 5.5
    Referee: 6
    2-0 away win with a threadbare squad and the highest mark given is 6.5. You must be very difficult to please
    1. Keep comments off the marks thread.😉

2. We didn't get out of 1st gear imo, I don't think anyone was outstanding, merely a few good performances.
  • Options
    All this about an eyebrow raiser...if I remember right the majority of CPs record breaking squad were not well known to most of us. The big reputation players over the last few years have been a disappointment. JFH anyone?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    10 seconds from winning the ball back outside our box to the ball in back of Crewes net. Class!
    That's why you play a left footed player on the right and vice versa from time to time.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought we did pretty well yesterday, with decent individual performances, but it doesn't yet feel like a 'team' to me.
    I think the obvious problem is around the base, we could do with Matthews and a proper centre half, plus some cover.
    Still very much a work in progress in my view and the numbers can be very quickly stretched,
    Goodness knows how we'll manage on Tuesday, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Dempsey, Vennings and Henry involved...and Josh Davison too.

Good way to destroy their confidence that.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Good way to destroy their confidence that.
    I'd presume W Ham will be mainly playing there U23's?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I think both goals were Championship type goals. We have this in us and most of our opponents won't. I think Crewe will finish top half. Their passing was very good for the level IMO. They were a bit short in defence and up front but that is what will give us a chance at this level.
  • Options
    I think Crewe will finish bottom half.
  • Options
    I think Crewe will finish bottom half.
    A lot can change as we full well know from last season. But I’d be very surprised if they don’t finish bottom 6-8. 
  • Options
    solid performance and will always be happy with a Charlton win.

Please can we go with this line up on Tuesday and try and give them a game? 
    No chance it would be madness.
    We need to rest up many of that 11, ready for next Saturday.
    Do the players need rest, or do they need the extra minutes to give them sharpness? Or both!
  • Options
    Didn't think Crewe were too bad tbh
  • Options
    seth plum said:

We'll be playing more U23's than West Ham will. Might as well put it down as a reserve match......
  • Options
    solid performance and will always be happy with a Charlton win.

Please can we go with this line up on Tuesday and try and give them a game? 
    No chance it would be madness.
    We need to rest up many of that 11, ready for next Saturday.
    Do the players need rest, or do they need the extra minutes to give them sharpness? Or both!
    I know what you're saying, but for the last couple of seasons we've not been able to win midweek, if we've played Saturday. So I can't see Bowyer putting out a 1st 11.
  • Options
    Didn't think Crewe were too bad tbh
    I thought they were a nice footballing team. League 1 isn’t a nice division for footballing team and will be hard to play this against hardworking physical teams. Will be interesting to see whether they change strategy and become harder to beat if they start the season with a run of defeats.