Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crewe v Charlton | Sat 12 Sept | Post match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Solid rather than spectacular which is fine. Quality counted when it mattered. I was quite impressed with Crewe and they might do ok this year. I think that today was a potential banana skin that we didn't go anywhere near thankfully.
  • Options
    Bit scruffy,under some pressure late on,two good goals,perfect away performance.There will be plenty like this to come.Good bench,delighted with the new lads who played,3-4 additions and no reason why we cannot piss this league.Special word for Amos,superb claiming of the ball,apart from one dodgy goal kick,excellent performance,wont miss Phillips.
  • Options
    Only saw the second half . We were lucky not to concede at least one against a limited Crewe side . Positives Barker Gilbey and Doughty . Negatives JFC and Lapslie . Think we still need 6 players in for chance of promotion  .
  • Options
    Pretty even until the first goal. We took our chances being the main difference. Crewe maybe need a bit of quality up top but certainly stretched us at times. Thought the back 4 did very well. A clean sheet and 3 points. Also, my 2-0 bet at 12/1 came in. 
  • Options
    Great result without, from following the match thread, appearing to play really well.

Thank you, of course, to all the thread contributors.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    PWR.

Got to be pleased with a win away from home whatever league you are in.

Crewe started better than us but once we produced the one true piece of quality in a largely forgettable match we were never seriously troubled despite making mistakes that better teams would have exploited probably.

Gilbey, Alfie and the young lad Barker playing out of position impressed. Amos made one outstanding save to keep it at 2-0 and Pratley did what Pratley does.

Tougher tests to come without a doubt but job done today.
  • Options
    Only saw the second half . We were lucky not to concede at least one against a limited Crewe side . Positives Barker Gilbey and Doughty . Negatives JFC and Lapslie . Think we still need 6 players in for chance of promotion  .
    Can imagine that tainting your view somewhat as in isolation that must have looked a bit rubbish. I think it was a professional performance by a makeshift team over 90 minutes. It’s clear we’ll need reinforcements but they did what they had to in the first half and then played more in second gear in the second. Thought Purrington had his best game for a long time. Gilbey was very good as well.
  • Options
    Couple of moments of quality got us in front and from there I thought we managed the game reasonably well, something we were unable to do last season.
  • Options
    the win was good but the stats were worrying. didn't watch the game and you have to keep in mind this is early days still.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A good day, only ruined by EFfeL taking the piss making Barnsley and Luton an opening fixture, whilst EFfeLs love-child won their fantasy league match at Cardiff...... A "Massive" injustice. A message sung loudly for good old "Aunty EFfel" :

"You gotta play around
    But soon you'll find there comes a time
    For making your mind up.

Don't let your indecision
    Take you from behind
    Trust your inner vision
    Don't let others change your mind"

EFL.... A restriction to existence.  Bucks Fizz becomes the F*cks Bizz?

Time to let Charlton free and watch them fly!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Fine start, but neither hugely entertaining nor flowing. A workmanlike job, Doughty’s finish being the match’s highlight for me. We will come up against stronger teams, but all things being well, we will be stronger too over the course of the next week or two. COYR!
  • Options
    the win was good but the stats were worrying. didn't watch the game and you have to keep in mind this is early days still.
    9 times out of 10 we’re going to let teams have more possession when 1-0 up. Crewe had a couple of chances but stats can be deceptive. I’d rather create 2 one on ones in 90mins then have 40 shots from outside the box. We wasn’t fantastic today by any means but we did what we had to. 
  • Options
    For those referencing Barker playing out of position, where did he play?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Right-Back
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    RB
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    3 points closer to getting out this truly horrible league. 
    More importantly, only need another 99 to beat the 101 we got in 2011/12!
  • Options
    Crewe can count themselves very unlucky as they were slightly the better team but it's all about putting the ball in the net and we did that. 

Gilbey looks the nuts. 

• Options
    We took our goal chances, they didn't.

Considering the current state of the club and the team a good result. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very happy with the win. Clean sheet for Amos that hasn't started a league game since ??. Two goal lead kept for an entire half, first time since ?? No injuries despite the ref being lenient. Saturday night with three points in the bag. All is good in Camp Charlton.

• Options
    Rossman92 said:
    After all we fans have been through over the past couple of years  it's nice to have something to smile about. 
    If Sandgaard gets the takeover done and gives Bowyer a bit of support we will smash Barcelona in the CL final
    Fixed it for you mate
    Yeah, like Barcelona are going to make it to another Chanpions League final before we win it 😂😂😂
  • Options
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    Take that on the opening day, solid away win and attacking players off the mark, clean sheet as well, very optimistic after a win today and I am confident, with confirmation in the coming days that we are on-wards and upwards LLL&BH  
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Didnt watch it so can only go by what I read on the match thread & the goals via Sky.

Seeing as we went into the game with just 1 recognised centre half (that has played senior football) then winning & keeping a clean sheet is nothing short of amazing.

Great goal by Doughty & great to see Washington get off the mark in his first game for us. I hear Gilbey had a good game & surprised to read that Barker played at right back.....any reason why  ? I would have thought him in the middle with Pratley & Oshilaja at right back would have been better.......but I'm not complaining  😄.

I'm pretty sure the takeover will go through  early next week & then LB can bring in the 5 or 6 players that we need. Certainly need a couple of centre halves & an experienced No 9 would be good too. Bonne might do a lot of running but sadly he wont get enough to get us out of this league. Would prefer a smaller, nippy striker....like  a BWP or Kevin Phillips that can run off Washington & Bonne.

Now to give West Ham a fright......

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Calm down...........remember how we started last season
    Apples and oranges 
  • Options
    Couple of moments of quality got us in front and from there I thought we managed the game reasonably well, something we were unable to do last season.
    Though to be fair we were up against MUCH better opposition last season than a plucky, but limited Crewe