Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views from Pg.11

Comments

• Were the goals shown on a programme on catchup?
    https://youtu.be/OWO57qJO4vQ
    Some really good saves from Amos, good goals from all three of our scorers. 

Not sure Amos could do much with their goal. 

Bonne got the praise from Bow, but Aneke came on and grabbed an assist and a goal. Match Winner right there. 
  • I would really like us to end the transfer window with a better right sided centre half option than Oshilaja. He's occasionally very good, he can be strong, quick, spot a clever pass or 1-2, but he can also instantly forget all that and be absolutely woeful. Generally he tends to decide which of these he's going to be for a whole game, so we could do with a more reliable defender there than him. Though the positive about him being our only right sided centre half is that Bowyer can't play him at left back, so there's that
  • I would really like us to end the transfer window with a better right sided centre half option than Oshilaja. He's occasionally very good, he can be strong, quick, spot a clever pass or 1-2, but he can also instantly forget all that and be absolutely woeful. Generally he tends to decide which of these he's going to be for a whole game, so we could do with a more reliable defender there than him. Though the positive about him being our only right sided centre half is that Bowyer can't play him at left back, so there's that
    I'd actually be happy with him as a RB if there's nobody else out there and we can't get Matthews back. Agree we need at least another strong right-sided player for competition. 
  • So true about Osh, he's a funny old player.
    For now at least Pratley gives us another option there, and Barker too after his performances so far.

Agree though, ideally we want to bring in a couple of centre backs with the potential to step up to the a Championship. I’m not convinced Oshilaja will do that, while Pearce is a bottom 6 Championship player at best.
    I'd actually be happy with him as a RB if there's nobody else out there and we can't get Matthews back. Agree we need at least another strong right-sided player for competition. 
    I'd say all his best games for us have been at RB. His performance against Forest at home was absolutely brilliant, especially in the first half. He tends to have the pace to get back into position when he goes forward and RB is a more forgiving role for lapses in concentration, especially when you've got Darren Pratley sweeping up around you.
  • Pratley is less effective in L1 than the Championship for me. For that reason, he'd be well suited to CB.
    I'd say all his best games for us have been at RB. His performance against Forest at home was absolutely brilliant, especially in the first half. He tends to have the pace to get back into position when he goes forward and RB is a more forgiving role for lapses in concentration, especially when you've got Darren Pratley sweeping up around you.
    Agree completely. As good/consistent as Matthews was, I think Oshilija's game against Forest was one of the best RB performances I've seen since Luke Young. Unfortunately it was never repeated, but I'd be more than happy for him to regularly play RB in League 1. 
  • mendonca said:
    Pratley is less effective in L1 than the Championship for me.

Okay seems fair
    mendonca said:
    For that reason, he'd be well suited to CB.

Err you what?
  • Sponsored links:

• Oshilaja was also maybe a little unfortunate in that he was rarely playing several whole games in a row in the same position, instead filling in here and there.
    Given a set position and a chance to settle into it he might be able to improve his admittedly pretty spotty record.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

Okay seems fair
    mendonca said:

Err you what?
    Do you want/need Pratley in midfield in league 1? The way he plays is much more effective, noticeable, needed against better teams.

Is he a good enough center back for the championship, certainly not.  Could we "get by" with him in league 1?  Probably.

I think that's what Mendonca ment. 
  • edited September 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

Okay seems fair
    mendonca said:

Err you what?
    Do you want/need Pratley in midfield in league 1? The way he plays is much more effective, noticeable, needed against better teams.

Is he a good enough center back for the championship, certainly not.  Could we "get by" with him in league 1?  Probably.

Pratley is not a CB, he gives away too many fouls and we cannot afford to give so many away in and around the 18 yard box. As an emergency, sure but not as a starter.

I think Pratley will surprise many from his CDM role this season. 
  • Thought Pratley did well at CDM against Swindon
    But he's playing him on the left side of the back 2 at present!
  • As an aside I saw a hell of a lot of Lapslie as he was developing.
    I don't think I ever saw him play at right back.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

Okay seems fair
    mendonca said:

Err you what?

Pratley is not a CB, he gives away too many fouls and we cannot afford to give so many away in and around the 18 yard box. As an emergency, sure but not as a starter.

I am not disputing Pratley as a CDM, he was arguably our best out field player last season.  

How many games did we dominant possession last season?  About 3?

How many will we, hopefully, dominant this season.  Probably a lot. 

So I would say as a CDM, in most matches, we don't need him to play there.  It's no coincidence that his best 2.5 games for us in league 1 were the play off semis and final. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

Okay seems fair
    mendonca said:

Err you what?

I think he's a good option as part of a back 3, as the "spare" CB who can then bring the ball out. 

The thing is, he's still really fit. It's not as his legs have gone, he's still able to break into the opponent's box
  • Thought Pratley did well at CDM against Swindon
    Almost like it's his natural position! ;)
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Thought Pratley did well at CDM against Swindon
    Almost like it's his natural position! ;)
    I don't think anyone is disputing that :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ha sorry, I did type my initial response while taking a walk to Danson!

I really enjoyed Pratley being part of a back 3 last season in some games. He reads danger really well, especially the opposition's runs into space. He also commits less fouls when facing play as most of his yellow cards are "reducer" type of tackles or hacks.

At some point, 35 yo defensive midfielders have to hang their boots up despite how fit they are in training/running sessions, unless they can let the ball do a lot of talking too, ie great passer/crosser/goalscorer of the odd vital goal.

That's my take on where I would have liked Pratters to play this season BUT now we do not have a plethora of CB's to make a back 3, this is unlikely.
  • Dodgy-Deji is a decent right back but an accident waiting to happen at centre back. Totally agree we ideally need better in the centre of defence. All our centre backs are also on the short side. I’d like to see a physically strong and aerially dominant player brought in. 
  • not sure if anyone’s mentioned it, but how good was their sub and goalscorer Johnny Smith. No doubt ne’s made Gallen’s book
  • kafka said:
    not sure if anyone’s mentioned it, but how good was their sub and goalscorer Johnny Smith. No doubt ne’s made Gallen’s book
    Yeah might be one to keep an eye on, Swindon have just signed him on loan from Bristol City

First time @ League One level
  • kafka said:
    not sure if anyone’s mentioned it, but how good was their sub and goalscorer Johnny Smith. No doubt ne’s made Gallen’s book
    Wonderful take down for the goal....impressed
  • kafka said:
    Yeah might be one to keep an eye on, Swindon have just signed him on loan from Bristol City

Perhaps we can do a Swansea in January  ;)
  • kafka said:

Perhaps we can do a Swansea in January  ;)
    We've done it before when we signed Purrington on loan. Rotherham recalled him from AFC Wimbledon.
  • Jonny Smith is 23 and spent the last 2 years on loan in L2 with Tranmere and Oldham, so is gradually working his way up the league
  • Was that Doughty with that run but then fluffed the 1 v 1 with keeper ?
  • ct_addick said:
    Was that Doughty with that run but then fluffed the 1 v 1 with keeper ?
    Yep