Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views from Pg.11

Comments

• If we can model him on Bale, ie move from LB to further forward and then apply some finishing, he could be deadly in L1.
  • mendonca said:
    If we can model him on Bale, ie move from LB to further forward and then apply some finishing, he could be deadly in L1.
    You mean like we thought we would with Stevenson?
  • Be honest, who saw that coming? Not me. I was on the match thread for the first 5 mins and then went for a swim, fearing the worst. On the way home - that great feeling when Charlton win away. That does us all good, not just the team and the Lord Bow, but all of us, and Thomas too, he’s seen that he’s not buying a duff team. Dont tell me that doesnt  make any difference to him. Victory is victory. 

Night off from dossiers, except maybe one email to a certain Stoke City fan with good reason to detest Elliott. Then tomorrow, back in pursuit of the scumbags. 
    Bob Munro?
  • I have to be honest, before the Wimbledon game, which I missed, I didn't even know who Charlie Barker was. He looks a diamond of a find to me. You have to hand it to our academy. 
    What he said.
  • Valley11 said:
    Anyone know what happened to Washington? 
    Died years back apparently.
    I heard he was a state.
  • Drop him for whom? After he started at Wimbledon the only way he wasn't playing at Crew is if sign someone or he had such a shocker that Bowyer couldn't play him at the risk of destroying him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the most ridiculous refereeing performances ever,how did Pratley not get booked.
  • One of the most ridiculous refereeing performances ever,how did Pratley not get booked.
    Scared
  • edited September 2020
    Be honest, who saw that coming? Not me. I was on the match thread for the first 5 mins and then went for a swim, fearing the worst. On the way home - that great feeling when Charlton win away. That does us all good, not just the team and the Lord Bow, but all of us, and Thomas too, he’s seen that he’s not buying a duff team. Dont tell me that doesnt  make any difference to him. Victory is victory. 

Night off from dossiers, except maybe one email to a certain Stoke City fan with good reason to detest Elliott. Then tomorrow, back in pursuit of the scumbags. 
    Much respect to you for all your work Prague. 

Really enjoyed the game, although the first twenty minutes didn’t auger well. We clearly have the nucleus of a pretty good side, and some promising young players coming through, but we’ll need strengthening if we want a shot at promotion. 
    Gilbey looks classy, good games for Lapslie, Barker, Doughty, Bonne, JFC in particular. 
    The next two weeks will be ... interesting. The dawn of a new era, with any luck. 
  • Started off rather disjointed but structured a performance as the game went on.
    Still a huge amount to do, definitely a work in progress and certainly the squad needs strengthening.
    Four rather good goals in quite an entertaining game.
    Don't want to rush to any judgement about him beyond saying seeing Barker score was pleasurable, seeing him play was more so, can he defend as well as be composed?
    He is only 17, we will see, but I have hopes.
  • edited September 2020
    Good start to the season against a newly promoted and not too shabby outfit .. the line up showed that our squad is not that 'weak' and is stronger than the vast majority of L1 clubs. Bonne will do well as will Aneke and (hopefully) Washington, they will be up against weaker defences than they faced last year. Equally our defence will be up against inferior strikers in this division. 
      I thought Purrington  was underused last season, he should keep the left back berth. We have quite a few decent midfielders now, that area should not be a worry. 
    Charlie Barker ? .. we signed Paul Went for a big fee at age 18, when he had already played around 50 games for Orient. We sold Bowyer for a big fee as a teenager with a lot of experience. The point is, if they are good enough, they are old enough.
    Goalkeeper ? .. there does not seem to be a queue to sign Phillips and there have been a LOT of young keepers moving clubs so far this close season. I'd be more than happy if Amos were to spend this season in goal for us. He is far more than just capable.
    This should be a good season, it'll be a great one if/when the sale to a committed owner goes through and we are rid of spivs, chancers, and senile old codgers
  • RedChaser said:
    Can’t believe Barker is 17. These kids nowadays are built different.
    Before your time Gary but his stature reminds of Peter Reeves (England u18 Youth International) who also made his debut as a 17 year old and scored in an end of season victory over Norwich 2-1 on 18 May 1966 eventually forming a strong CB pairing with Paul Went.
    And if course Paul Walsh helped promote us in 1980/81 and Paul Elliott soon came in the team. Both at 17. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2020
    Great win, great prep for next Saturday .. Congrats to Charlie bro on his goal
  • ross1 said:
    So much to enjoy from that clip.

Great jump and assist from Aneke
    Brilliant vision from Barker to carry on his run when both nearby defenders had stopped
    The team all running to him after scoring and celebrating the way they did. Watching Oshilaja, you'd think he'd scored himself
    Also from the bench/stands, that was the loudest moment of the game. 

Barker has clearly made a terrific impression to management and first team players in the last couple of weeks
  • edited September 2020
    ross1 said:
    If Purrington and Bonne keep linking up like that, then we'll see some more goals like that this season. 

Our use of long ball last season often received a lot of negative comments, and deservedly so. So it's great to see how it can be used decisively. 
  • Bet @PragueAddick is pleased with the 2nd round draw 😳😳
  • Were the goals shown on a programme on catchup?
    https://youtu.be/OWO57qJO4vQ
    For future reference try https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/carabao-cup-on-quest (and presumably there'll be a similar link next week for the league show).
    https://youtu.be/OWO57qJO4vQ
    Thank yoy :smiley: