Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views from Pg.11

Comments

• IdleHans said:
    AndyG said:
    considering this perfomance and 5 new players once the takeover is complete and Williams coming back from international break. dare to believe?
    If the takeover happens soon, I imagine the bookies would have us as one of the favourites to go up. The track record of Bowyer and Gallen, combined with decent backing is a great combination
    Think thats why our odds are still pretty shit... Arent we something like 6th favourites and 4/1 to win the League?
    I put a bet on us 2 weeks ago and we was 12-1 then
    Still 12/1 with Bob's lot
    Is that 12/1 to go up or go up as Champions?
    12/1 Champions
     4/1 To go up 
  • Feet firmly on the ground but that display shows this season could be a good one. Not sure of how Swindon compare to teams at this level, given they were promoted, but we were better than them for most of the game.

Amos will be a rock solid goalkeeper at this level - Dillon won't be missed; Barker must start at Crewe and whilst not going overboard looks an amazing prospect; Gilbey looked the business in his brief cameo performance; and if we can hang onto Doughty and Bonne they will be too much for most defences at this level.

My only concern is where the goals will come from. Maybe Aneke at this level, provided he can stay ft, might do the business.
    I know what you mean, but if you look at the last league one squad that ‘only’ finished fourth - it suggests a difficult season ahead: Bielik, Cullen, Taylor, Sarr, Bauer, Solly, Grant, Djiksteel, Phillips, all gone. 

Obviously LB has learned a lot since then and we’ve got some great new talent in, but we definitely need some additional quality to compete. 
    Totally agree that we need some more players to really push for the top six but we're not going to struggle with the current team provided Phillips is the only one to move on
  • Feet firmly on the ground but that display shows this season could be a good one. Not sure of how Swindon compare to teams at this level, given they were promoted, but we were better than them for most of the game.

Amos will be a rock solid goalkeeper at this level - Dillon won't be missed; Barker must start at Crewe and whilst not going overboard looks an amazing prospect; Gilbey looked the business in his brief cameo performance; and if we can hang onto Doughty and Bonne they will be too much for most defences at this level.

My only concern is where the goals will come from. Maybe Aneke at this level, provided he can stay ft, might do the business.
    I know what you mean, but if you look at the last league one squad that ‘only’ finished fourth - it suggests a difficult season ahead: Bielik, Cullen, Taylor, Sarr, Bauer, Solly, Grant, Djiksteel, Phillips, all gone. 

Obviously LB has learned a lot since then and we’ve got some great new talent in, but we definitely need some additional quality to compete. 
    Not rewriting history but we didn’t get a couple of those players until after the 6th match. I do believe not getting the squad in place until Southend match cost us winning the title.
  • Quite enjoyed the game. Not sure it's a yard stick for the season ahead but certainly lots of positives. Like the look of Gilbey. Don't think losing Phillips will hurt us. Hope that Bonne does well and scores regularly. Doughty will develop further as hopefully will Lapslie and Morgan. JW to return next week along with Washington. Feeling a bit more optimistic. Hope we can start with a win at Crewe. COYRs!
  • Plenty of positives today. Impressed by Gilbey cameo. Short cameo showed that he could easily be a very good player. Nice to see a Bonne/Aneke score.

Honestly, we need bodies in the door to be competitive but I don’t think we need to break the bank to be a strong team this year. Get a strong squad and we will finish top 6. Matthews, Lynch and 3 players and we will be fine. 

Not rewriting history but we didn’t get a couple of those players until after the 6th match. I do believe not getting the squad in place until Southend match cost us winning the title.
    Yeah you can't really compare our squad including loads to what we have now.

If they stay fit Bonne/Washington/Aneke and Doughty (if he plays left wing and not left back) could get us 60 goals between them.

Bonne 25
    Washington 15
    Aneke 10
    Doughty 10

Bonne will miss plenty of chances but he'll also score plenty at this level.
    Washington got 10 in 25 in his last season at this level.
    Aneke got 19 in a full season in league two so could do ok at this level given i think he did well at the end of the championship season.
    And Doughty will tear defences apart with his pace.
    We finished 3rd last time with the following top scorers:

Taylor 21
    Grant 14 (1/2 a season)
    Aribo 9
    Reeves 4
    Bielik 3

We scored 73 in total. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ct_addick said:
    Was a guest of Lee Power in the directors box at Swindon when they played Donny one time. MY cousin is marrIed to Tim Sherwood and they are mates from their Norwich days.Think he is from Lewisham and did play for us I believe 

Was a friend of his Uncle who unfortunately passed away, so can confirm that he is local to our part of london.

If they stay fit Bonne/Washington/Aneke and Doughty (if he plays left wing and not left back) could get us 60 goals between them.

Bonne 25
    Washington 15
    Aneke 10
    Doughty 10

Aneke got 19 in a full season in league two so could do ok at this level given i think he did well at the end of the championship season.

Taylor 21
    Grant 14 (1/2 a season)
    Aribo 9
    Reeves 4
    Bielik 3

We scored 73 in total. 
    Our current strike force won’t score 50. 
  • cblock said:
    ct_addick said:
    Was a guest of Lee Power in the directors box at Swindon when they played Donny one time. MY cousin is marrIed to Tim Sherwood and they are mates from their Norwich days.Think he is from Lewisham and did play for us I believe 

Was a friend of his Uncle who unfortunately passed away, so can confirm that he is local to our part of london.

I went to school with him. Took him to a couple of Charlton games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    cblock said:
    ct_addick said:

I went to school with him. Took him to a couple of Charlton games.
    His uncle was a top bloke as well, sure he told me that lee's side of the family are Millwall.

Bonne 25
    Washington 15
    Aneke 10
    Doughty 10

Taylor 21
    Grant 14 (1/2 a season)
    Aribo 9
    Reeves 4
    Bielik 3

We scored 73 in total. 
    Our current strike force won’t score 50. 
    Odd comment. Last season and the season before strike force didn’t score 50 for us either. 

• Don't look much liker a rocker in that picture 😉
  • edited September 2020
    cblock said:
    ct_addick said:

Knew his Dad Micky very well, part of the Lewisham Mod scene, well known character in pubs and clubs.
    Think he was originally out of Deptford.