Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2020/21

Comments

• Options
    Just when you’re still recovering from the hell of  Liverpool winning the title something a million times worse appears on the horizon ffs 
    Spurs winning it ffs 
    Man City are poooo , scousers not the same without VVD,  its Spurs’ to lose , come on you scousers ffs 
    sickening 
    If they win it I’d want lockdown forever , I mean imagine getting in a black taxi at any point again in the next 50 years having to listen to them Cnuts , fuck off 
    It gets worse the year ends in 1 , fuck off
  • Options
    Spurs wont win it. All it takes is an injury to son or kane and they are knackered. Leicester on the other hand, who knows.
    You could say exactly the same for Leicester if Vardy gets injured.
  • Options
    City just can't get going this season, dreadful start for them. 12 points and 10 goals scored from 8 games.
    But the pundits will have a wank fest over the number of shots they have, time in possession, number of passes.

Counts for nothing if the opposition score more goals. 
  • Options
    This was a Mourinho master class. Defend the 18 yard box, soak it up and hit them on the counter - 4 shots and 2 goals versus 22 shots and no goals says it all.

There are two issues that Spurs will face:

(1) Not every team will take the game to Spurs in the way that City do. Do they have the guile to be able to break down sides that do to Spurs what they did to City? They struggled to do so against Everton, Newcastle, Chelsea, Burnley, WBA and Royal Antwerp. 

(2) The obvious one - the over reliance on the Kane and Son: 16 goals and 11 assists between them from the team's total of 21 goals. Historically and because of the way he plays (and an inherent ankle weakness - 5 such injuries in the last 4 seasons) he will miss games. And even if he isn't injured, both he and Son will have to be rested at some point- there probably isn't a player in the country who can beat Kane's 21 appearances for club and country in 10 weeks. Who is capable of replacing him? Do Spurs really care that much about the Europa Cup that he has to play?

The team that does have the undoubted attacking reserves are Chelsea - perm any 4 from 8 of Abraham, Havertz, Werner, Giroud, Pulisic, Mount, Hudson-Odoi and Ziyech. Their meeting with Spurs on Sunday will tell us a lot more about both sides.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The problem with VAR is that it can never work if you aim for perfection. Football is a game which relies on the judgement of the officials and the better the officials the better the judgement. That is why I have always believed one appeal per team which is lost when used clearly frivolously or speculatively. Make it something teams want to protect and it is their fault if they fail to do so.

However, the rot set in before VAR with refs trying to address the fact that some refs make different decisions to others. I have always believed that the 'unnatural' position element of the hand ball rule was intended to mean the player could only be intending to handle the ball. In a game you can video a player and find countless frames where their hands are in an unnatural position. It was ok when refs were allowed to apply common sense, but when an issue arose due to a lot of refs not having it, the law went the wrong way.

Actually I am going to call it a rule, as that is what it is. And I know that annoys petty minded refs as a bonus. It is far easier to say, if it hits your hand it is a penalty whether you meant it or not as long as you are clearly trying to avoid the ball hitting your hand. But I'm not sure what is wrong, and what was ever wrong with letting the ref decide whether there was intent. Yes some refs will interpret that differently, but good refs will make good calls.

The problem we have now is that we don't have enough good refs. This IMO is because they are too defensive and secretive. Those that played football to any sort of half decent standard, know that a lot of stuff goes on on a football pitch. I have always believed a fast track for ex players is the answer as they will know the things you need to know outside of the rules. 

That isn't to say all refs are rubbish. There are lots of excellent ones. Nor that all ex footballers would make great refs. But when you get rubbish refs, replace them with the best of the fast tracked ones.
  • Options
    Agree that Chelsea's strength in depth is impressive, they've bought really well.

Based on what i've seen from City so far and considering Liverpool's defensive injuries, i don't know how bookies can have them both around 2/1 and Chelsea at 5/1.

Chelsea's next 4 games, Spurs and Leeds at home, then away to Everton and Wolves will tell us if they're serious contenders or just going through a decent run.
  • Options
    Not saying Spurs will win it but the point is they are one of the teams that can win it. It looks a lot tighter this season.
  • Options
    Since when has getting a slight touch on a ball meant there is no foul ? 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Agree that Chelsea's strength in depth is impressive, they've bought really well.

Based on what i've seen from City so far and considering Liverpool's defensive injuries, i don't know how bookies can have them both around 2/1 and Chelsea at 5/1.

Chelsea's next 4 games, Spurs and Leeds at home, then away to Everton and Wolves will tell us if they're serious contenders or just going through a decent run.
    Two reasons - historical records of winning the PL but, more to the point, liabilities - more people will have backed the likes of Liverpool and City before the season began and in accumulators with teams in other divisions. An increased numbers of punters will be backing Spurs and Chelsea now and that will continue if their form continues which will mean, in time, that they will flip in favouritism with the big two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh Fulham... They just can't take penalties can they

Should have given Lookman the chance at redemption 
  • Options
    Great game this, defending leaving a bit to be desired but fantastic for the neutral. 
  • Options
    Oh Fulham... They just can't take penalties can they

Should have given Lookman the chance at redemption 
    What do they do in training? Great comedy value.
  • Options
    Completely mad game.
  • Options
    I thought the Panto season was cancelled ?

Crazy game of football at the cottage.

• Options
    Fulham's penalty was exactly the same as yesterday - standing foot slips and the taker ends up kicking the ball twice. Only difference is that Fulham missed their pen.
  • Options
    Everton unbeaten this season when Richarlison plays.

Calvert-Lewin joins Lewandowski and Haaland as the only players in Europe into double figures for league goals.
  • Options
    Nice that Lookie got the assist for their second goal 
  • Options
    Fulham's penalty was exactly the same as yesterday - standing foot slips and the taker ends up kicking the ball twice. Only difference is that Fulham missed their pen.

What penalty do you mean from yesterday ?

Because the Ref in the Fulham game appeared to give a free kick for the restart as the player double kicked ?

Great analysis from Murphy on the angle of that penalty and how he would slip if he tried to go to the keeper's left. 

Didn't Beckham do the same  from the spot!
  • Options

Because the Ref in the Fulham game appeared to give a free kick for the restart as the player double kicked ?

Great analysis from Murphy on the angle of that penalty and how he would slip if he tried to go to the keeper's left. 

Middlesbrough v Norwich
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rice pulling the strings so far for West Ham. 

• Options

Middlesbrough v Norwich
    Yes sorry - Middlesbrough "scored" one but it was given as a double kick for the same reason
  • Options

Middlesbrough v Norwich
    Yes sorry - Middlesbrough "scored" one but it was given as a double kick for the same reason

Thanks AA, I will watch on Quest later as I always record the EFL game highlights.
  • Options
    Wow actually emotional

Liam Cooper comes out with a tablet with a live video of Elliot Metcalfe a 13 year old with cancer who thanks to the make a wish foundation is mascot for today, via love streaming 

Well done to all involved 
  • Options
    If only some footballers had a brain eh?

Pepe makes a half hearted head butt that Aliowski was always going to make the most of and following VAR he's off. Arsenal 40 minutes with 10 men and he has a 3 match ban too
  • Options

Pepe makes a half hearted head butt that Aliowski was always going to make the most of and following VAR he's off. Arsenal 40 minutes with 10 men and he has a 3 match ban too
    Stupid enough to do that before VAR. It's brain-dead to do it now
  • Options

At 72m he's got to be one of the worst premier league buys ever.
  • Options
    These coming together with the head  wouldn't knock your granny over but would still like to see Pepe given a 3 match ban for being a moron and the Leeds player should get a two match ban for being a hammy actor. 
  • Options
    Arsenal are awful