Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    He runs in behind just like Gary Nelson did. He displays the same attitude as Nelson and doesn't give up. We are now learning how to find him in the spaces behind full backs. 
  • Options
    he's a better and quicker player than i had given him credit for previously - he's vital to what we are doing atm - still need another striker in the window though if we are to go up
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    he's a better and quicker player than i had given him credit for previously - he's vital to what we are doing atm - still need another striker in the window though if we are to go up
    This for me, we’re seeing the difference between him being a useful player to one now full of confidence and playing in an energetic and creative team.

A couple of weaknesses I’d have highlighted in the past were not using his left foot making him predictable - he scored with it yesterday and assisted with it in the Gateshead game. The other being not able to beat a player despite his pace. There was a game recently the improvement was obvious where he’d slow down before accelerating past the opponent. He’s using that more often and is a better player for it.

Washington and Stockley are getting the best from each other and are two players who should be at the peak of their careers. It’s a great chance for them both to score 15+ league goals, something that didn’t look possible a few months ago.

If we sign a striker in January it’ll be interesting to see what type. Davison is somewhere in between Stockley and Washington without being as good as either.
  • Options
    Washington as a player clearly thrives in a "2", playing on the shoulder of the opposition defence. He's not lightning fast, but times his runs brilliantly, it's impressive how rarely he gets caught offside

Adkins played him on the left of a "3" where he was far less effective.
  • Options
    Adkins was a bit Championship Manager really. 

Kirk/Washington on left
    Stockley in middle
    Leko/DJ on right

Goals Goals Goals
  • Options
    Was it part of a bet and is it on her arse?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree as long as it’s 2 years at most. He’s 30 in a few months and not likely to step up to the Championship.
  • Options
    I’d keep him as another option .  I hope we can sign a number 1 striker in the summer, but CW is a much better player than I thought he was . 
  • Options
    Definitely a 1-2 year deal. But other Clubs around this level will want him too and maybe for longer.
  • Options
    thought he had been called up by Ireland when I saw this thread. Phew! Yes, sign him up please.
  • Options
    I'd sign him up. Confidence will see him finishing better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely. He makes intelligent runs and has a reasonable turn of pace. We need another strong striker (or two) for next season but would like to see Washington being offered an extension.
  • Options

Agree with others worth a 2 year deal. 

Chucks, Stockley, Washington and a new pacey striker and I woudl be happy with that going into a new season. 

• Options
    edited March 2022
    He won’t be short of finding a club. Depends what we may offer him re a new deal. He will be quids in regardless if it’s with us or elsewhere. Bit like his mate in the Northern Ireland squad set up in Magennis. Always finds a club 
  • Options
    Assuming our squad will have 4 strikers (plus kids), I don’t see us having 4 that are all better than him so would definitely sign him up for a year or two.
  • Options
    Have we renewed any contracts this season, other for academy players?

I obviously don't know what's happened behind the scenes, but as a club in general, we've not been very proactive about contract management for years.
  • Options

I obviously don't know what's happened behind the scenes, but as a club in general, we've not been very proactive about contract management for years.
    Only CBT and that was only due to his deal expiring at the end of December.
  • Options

It may well be that the club has actually been proactive behind the scenes but the players they want to resign are the better ones who know their value and are prepared to wait and see what better offers they receive.

And any offer that comes in from a Championship club is almost certainly better than what we can offer in league 1.   

Same here for Washington. If you were in his shoes, why sign now when the chances are someone else will offer him more, or a longer contract, to go and play for them.

• Options
    Wasn’t a fan but has massively won me over this season. 
  • Options
    Struggling to see who deserves to beat him to the runner-up slot for POTY. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Struggling to see who deserves to beat him to the runner-up slot for POTY. 
    He, Clare and CBT are the best of the rest after the obvious winner.